Sequel: 007

Glitch

Going Down in Flames

-Swoosh-
"Man, ever since you cured the EVO's it's been kinda boring"
"Yeah I know. I haven't gone on a mission in 2 weeks"
"I mean curing the EVO's is great and all"
"Believe me, man I know"
{"Rex, there's a situation in your area. We'll meet you there"}
"YES!" Rex dropped the basketball and turned to his friend. "Coming?"
"Totally!" Noah grinned "What is it?"
"No idea but it's a mission"
The boys laughed and raced off to the location. Rex's partners, Agent Six and Bobo were already there.
"Um... isn't this a little... small for providence?" Noah asked.
A building was engulfed in flames and agents were struggling to put it out.
"Usually" Six had come up behind the boys. "But there was a large container of nanites in the explosion. They were in a protective casing. Not even you could reach them. Now they're loose."
"Yeah loose in that thing!" Bobo pointed up to the roof where a person stood, controlling the fire.
"Ok that's easy." Rex bragged. "I cure him and done" He flew into the air towards the EVO.
"Rex," Six called out. "Don't let him touch you. You're not invincible"
"Yeah, yeah, get too close and I get burned. Got it" Rex called back and flew off.
Six turned to Noah and Bobo. "Get anyone alive out of the fire. There's suits in the tank"
"Got it" The two said and ran off. Six went to help Rex.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rex hit the EVO hard and the man flew off the building. Rex landed beside him and went to cure him but the man blasted the hero with fire, sending him tumbling backwards. Rex cried out from the burns and struggled to get up.
"Rex! Are you alright?" Six came running up.
"Yeah, just feel like I've got a sun burn all over" Rex stood up. "Ok that's it. He's going down"
The EVO charged Rex and Six caring a fire ball with him. Six dodged his attack and used his swords to take him off balance.
{"Six, there's a electronic charge in his fire. Your magnet should disrupt them enough to let Rex cure him"} Dr. Holiday was monitoring all the while.
"Got it." Six looked up just as Rex opened his big mouth.
"So, you kept enough nanites to make you a hot head. Bad plan!" Rex charged the EVO but got struck with another fire strike.
"Fool!" the man shouted. "I'm a god now!"
"No, you're not" Six came up behind him and pressed his swords together creating the magnet. The pulse disrupted the EVO's fire as Dr. Holiday predicted.
"REX!" Six shouted.
Rex stumbled to his feet and tackled the EVO, putting his hand on it's chest. The fire dissipated and Providence was able to contain it. The EVO was now a perceived normal kid.
"Wow, he's as old as I am" Rex got up and looked down as Bobo called for them.
"We found a girl!" The ape shouted.
"And a few others" Noah added.
They carried out the survivors and Rex and Six left the cured kid to the other agents for a check up by Dr. Holiday.
"Will they be alright?" Rex asked.
"Dunno." Bobo shrugged. "Most likely, but I really dunno about the girl."
"Why?" Rex asked.
"Well..." Noah held back but didn't need to continue. The girl glitched. She was on the ground one second and then behind Six the next. This distraction was just enough for the cured teenager to escape.
Six turned but was a bit to late. The girl vanished and appeared behind Rex just like before. She smiled at the hero then glitched, disappear for good.
"Uh, what was that?" Rex and Noah asked in sync.
"No idea" Bobo and Six said.
"But I think we've found a new mission" Six finished.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EARLIER THAT DAY!

"Keep your head up! Never turn your back!"
A girl grunted as she was taken down.
"You're leaving your left side open. And your slow on you cross."
"Sorry Sensei. My mind has been on something else."
The man helped his student up. "Sara, we've talked about this. It will work, I promise" Jacob Riley, a man with the mind like a computer. He was working on something to save this girl's life. He had made an old hotel's rec room his personal science lab.
When the nanites event happened, Sara (Glitch) became pure energy. This energy was burning out her body; destroying the organic material. It wasn't because of the nanites. Sara wasn't an EVO. She was just a glitch; an unexplainable casualty. Dr. Riley had made her a promise when she was little, that he would find the reason and the cure for her condition. So far, he still didn't know the reason but had a breakthrough for containing Sara's energy and keeping her alive. It was still no cure but it was better than being on death row.
"Are you sure this thingy of yours in gonna work?" Sara asked as she wrung out her hair. The sparring had spilled into the pool in the old abandoned hotel.
"This 'thingy' is gonna contain your energy." Dr. Riley smiled and put an arm around the girl's shoulders. "It's cure your glitch and then, we'll celebrate." He put a finger to chin. "What's your favorite cake again"
Sara giggled and playfully hit her teacher. "Chocolate is the flavor of the gods. duh"
Dr. Riley chuckled. "Sure it is. Go get ready ok"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The machine whirred up and Sara hugged her teacher. "Sensei, I'm scared"
Riley hugged her back and took her chin in his hand. "It'll be ok. I promise"
Sara smiled and stepped inside. It slowly turned her on her back and she closed her eyes. After this, she wouldn't have to worry about glitching anymore thanks to her energy burning out her organics.
Riley tuned it on and took a deep breath. "After this, you can get the whole cake to yourself" He smiled and saw Sara smile from within.
As the machine did it's thing, Riley monitored it carefully, as well as Sara's vitals, when something went wrong. Sara flat-lined and her energy spiked. Riley panicked and shut the device off. It wasn't designed for such a short turn off and malfunctioned. It sparked and sputtered, so Dr. Riley ran to get Sara out. He wasn't quick enough and the machine blew apart. Riley was flown against the wall, next to a large container. The container blew and hit Riley hard. The doctor cried in pain and blacked out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When Sara woke up, fire surrounded her. Being pure energy, it didn't effect her much, she just couldn't breathe well, due to the smoke. She looked over and saw her sensei in the flames. She called out to him and ran over, tripping over the blown container. Picking it up, her eyes widened. She knew that symbol on the side. It was a nanite. She looked over at her teacher and saw a boy around her age. So instead of calling him 'sensei' she said his name.
"Jacob?"
His eyes snapped open and he reacted out of instinct. He shoved her out of his way and ran outside, only to face what surely awaited..... Providence.