‹ Prequel: Glitch

007

Brothers

Cassie woke up in the hotel and saw Kevin staring out the window. "What are you doing in my room?"
"Um, actually" Kevin said, without turning to look at her. "This is my room. I don't have your key, and you said you didn't have it either"
Cassie got up and stretched. "Oh. oops. So wait, what?"
"don't you remember?" Kevin asked. "You fell asleep in the cab"
"oh!" It all came flooding back. "I guess I did. Thanks Kevin."
"Hey, I said I'd look after you." He finally turned and put his hand to the back of him neck and shyly looked up and Cassie. "Besides, your brother scares me. I don't want to make him mad" This made Cassie laugh.
"where is he anyway?" She asked.
Kevin shrugged. "I have no idea. But last I saw him, he was chasing after the guy the took you."
"I hope he's ok" Cassie said.
"Well, I guess we'll have to find out when we get home" Kevin said. "We have to head back today, or I'm in big trouble."
Cassie looked down sadly." Ok"
"Look," Kevin put a hand on her shoulder. "I'm sure those people he was with are looking after him. Not that he needs to be looked after. but you know"
"Yeah I do" Cassie looked up and gave Kevin a hug. "Thanks Kev"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"no,no,no Stop." Caesar was losing his patients. He was so close to going up and smacking White Knight just for saying it. "Why didn't you tell me?"
"If I told you, Rex had died, you would have lost it" Knight said. "We can't make the mistake of losing you."
"Guys, I'm ok now." Rex interrupted. "Caesar"
"That's still not a good reason to keep the fact that my little brother actually died!" Caesar said. He growled at the screen. "You are a sick man. you know that?"
"I am many things. White Knight said. and frankly I don't care" He blipped off the screen and Caesar folded his arms.
"Caesar!" Rex waved his hand in front of his brother's face. "I'm alive right?"
"That's not the point!" Caesar said. "There was a big possibility that the Glitch could have failed!" He ranted.
"Yeah I know but she didn't!" Rex groaned. "Sorry I even opened up my mouth. I though you knew. Besides, it was like 6 months ago"
The argument continued for a good 3 minutes more but it eventually settled.
"You know what?" Caesar said. "you're right. You're ok. But I've lost both respect and trust for the marshmallow"
"how about we go get you a smoothie" Rex said.
"I'd like that" Caesar said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was only a few days after the whole attack with No Face, Knockout and even the plot with Dos and IV. Six was recovering well and Dean had gone home. The reunion of him and his sister was quite humorous.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Big brother!" Cassie ran out and hugged her brother.
He grimaced and patted her head. "Yeah, Cas, I'm great... ow... pain"
"Baby" She teased.
As Caesar and Rex walked the streets toward the smoothie shop, Rex heard a familiar voice.
"You still didn't get me that teddy bear"
"Bailey?" Rex turned.
"Who's Bailey?" Caesar asked. "Is she a friend, Hijo?"
"Um, kind of." Rex said. He scanned the sidewalks and saw Bailey pointing up at someone from across the street. It was Dean, he looked so shameful. Cassie was just grinning with amusement.
"That's Bailey" Rex said pointing in their direction.
"That little nina?" Caesar asked.
"She's the one Dean and rescued from the subway. He promised her a teddy bear when she got better"
Caesar laughed. "Looks like he still owes her one"
They watched as Dean spoke to Bailey's mom then put Bailey on his shoulders. "Let's go get you that teddy bear"
"He seems like he's good with kids" Caesar observed.
"Yeah" Rex said "he is" the hero smiled. Dean wasn't a killer. He wasn't like Dos or IV or any of them really. He was just an older brother protecting his little sister.