‹ Prequel: Glitch

007

DJ

"I woke up with a strange tattoo
Not sure how I got it, not a dollar in my pocket
And it kinda looks just like you
Mixed with Zach Galifianakis
WHOO!"

"I love this song"
"It's my theme. Go dance, kid. My treat, happy birthday"
Cassie hugged her brother and melted into the crowd. Dean continued to mix songs. He laughed as he spotted Cassie dancing. Being a DJ for a dance club had it's ups and downs. This was definitely one of the Ups. The downs... other people's dancing. smiley That and trying to decide whether to play people's requests or not. Near the end of the next song, Dean tried to spot his sister again. He took it as a personal challenge to try and find her during every other song. This time he saw talking to 2 boys. A sly smile swept across Dean's face as he picked a song. It was Revolution by Orange. (Gen Rex theme song)
He saw the 3 people look up and one of the boys reached out in victory. Dean gave them a peace sign and automated the mix process to play peoples' request. He left the booth and went out to say hi.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"your brother's the DJ here?"
"Yeah cool isn't it?" Cassie went, all proud. "He's a ninja too"
"Cas" Dean scolded. "I am not"
Rex high-fived Dean as soon as the DJ came over. "Sweet song"
"Thanks."
"This is my friend Noah" Rex introduced.
"Hey, you're friend's pretty cool" Dean grinned.
"you don't know the 1/2 of it" Noah bragged.
"So, can you get us in here for free next time?" Rex asked.
"Sure," Dean shrugged. "But don't bring more that 2 other people. I might get in trouble for more than 4."
"Sweet!" Noah and Rex fist pumped
Cassie and her brother chuckled.
"Just write this on your hand with a sharpie and you're home free." Cassie showed them her hand with a roman number 7 written in sharpie on the top.
"A seven?" Noah asked.
"My lucky number" Dean said. "the line jockeys know me."
"Awesome" Rex cheered. "But uh, I don't think Bobo can write on his hand"
"Write it on his hat" Noah teased.
"do you even know how much he loves that thing?" Rex asked. "He sleeps with it"
Noah gave Rex a 'what the heck' face.
"Hey well I gotta head back up there" Dean said. "The auto feature only lasts for 10 minutes"
"Thanks for the tip!" Rex yelled. He and Noah hung out with Cassie the rest of the time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have an awesome taste in music" Noah complimented.
"Meh, a lot of it is requests." Dean said. They were all hanging in the back were the food was. Dean's shift was over and another DJ took his place.
"Certainly better than that guy" Rex gestured to the new DJ.
"He's a newbie. He fails. A lot" Cassie said.
"That country boy doesn't know the first thing about clubs." Dean leaned back in his chair. "He's gonna be canned in the next week. I bet my paycheck on it"
"Wanna make it solid?" Cassie asked.
"You have nothing to bet" Her brother said plainly.
"point taken" Cassie pouted.
"ha" Dean smugly smiled. "So, Rex, who was that guy with you? Not you're brother but... the dude in the green?"
"His babysitter" Cassie opened up.
Rex face palmed and Noah laughed hysterically.
"He is not my babysitter" Rex whined. "Why did you listen to Bobo?"
"Because you didn't say otherwise" Cassie giggled.
"you did call him a nanny, Rex" Noah added.
"Shut up, Noah" Rex gave him a look of pure irritation. "We work for Providence"
Dean raised an eyeborw. Rex seemed awfully irritated about Cassie calling him Rex's babysitter.
"Those weird guys in white that used to battle EVO's?" Cassie asked.
"Pardon me if I seem rude" Dean set his chair back on all fours and leaned on the table. "But, why does it even exist if the EVO's are gone?"
"not all the EVO's are gone" Rex said. "Only the ones that wanted to be cured."
"I wondered why the monkey still talks" Noah said.
"Plus, there still could be some serious bad guys that need Providence to take them down. There are still nanites"
"Point taken" Dean said. "Sorry"
"Eh, no problem." Rex shrugged. "Providence gets asked that a lot now."
Dean looked up at the clock and gasped, a slight hint of fear in his eyes.
"What's wrong Dean?" Cassie asked.
"I'm gonna die" Dean said. "I'm late for my class."
"Oh, yikes." Cassie hissed. "I'll make sure to engrave you coffin with a 7"
Dean rushed off and out the door.
"What was that about?" Noah asked.
"Dean's got a seriously strict martial arts teacher. Last time Dean was late; by like 10 minutes; he came home with a broken wrist"
"Ouch"
"Dang, that's worse than Six." Rex said. "All he does is make my training last twice as long as the time I was late. Once, he made my training last an extra 2 hours"
"you were an hour late?" Noah asked, "From what?"
"Hanging with you"
Cassie laughed at Noah's face. "Aw well," She shrugged. "He'll probably only be late by 5 minutes, maybe he'll come with just a black eye this time. Or a missing toe"
"That's still pretty rough" Rex said.
"Are you ever worried about him?" Noah asked.
"Not in the least," Cassie leaned back. "Dean's tough and besides. Why would his teacher kill him? That would pointless. All that training to just kill your student. What a waste."
Rex and Noah exchanged a slightly worried glance. "good point"
Cassie looked up at the clock and groaned. "Meh, I have to go. I'm almost late for curfew"
"See ya later, Cassie" Noah waved. "By the way, I'm just wondering. How old are you?"
Rex looked at know. "dude"
"What?"
"I'm 13. Dean 19" Cassie said. "See ya whenever" She smiled and went home.