‹ Prequel: Glitch

007

Not a Killer

You're ready" For the past week, Dean was being trained hard. Ridden with the rules and molded into a perfect mercenary. Through broken bones and broken spirit, he was deemed ready for his first kill in the eyes of his teacher.
"You go Sev! You gonna be great!" 3 cheered him on.
"Hush you. It be better for all of us if you didn't have a mouth" 5 hated 3's mouth
"Perhaps if either of you didn't have one" 4 was sick of their bantering.
Both 3 and 5 gave 4 a dirty look. They were all here to decide what Dean's initiation would be. Dean was waiting outside.
"I think a good killing would be good for him" 3 smiled
"Really Trey, who would have thought?" 5 said full of sarcasm.
"We're here to decide the target. Nothing else." Dos explained. "Seven will have do it his own way. It will be a simple 'find and take down' mission"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dean took a shaky breath. He knew he was ready, but there was always a bit of doubt. He already missed his sister. That would be the hardest part. Keeping his distance from her. The rest would be easy... or so he thought. He looked up as Dos walked out. Behind him, 3, 4, and 5 walked out. 3 gave Dean a thumbs up, getting hit in the back of the head by five. The three left and Dos gave Dean his mission.
"This is the head of a large technology company. His rival needs him gone and you're going to do it."
Dean nodded and took a deep breathe.
"He'll be on a subway tomorrow. This is the route." Dos went over the other details with Dean. " Make sure you complete the mission by tomorrow night"
"Yes sir" Dean nodded again.
"Remember Seven." Dos said before he walked away. "No witnesses"
"No witnesses" Dean repeated. He didn't tell the others about the deal with Gatlocke. That was a big no no. But as long as he completed it under the radar, he wouldn't get caught. As he left his teacher he thought about the deal. It would be a lot harder to get that done than the mission that he was just given. Especially since he knew the kid that the target was with. The only EVO Dean ever knew.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"and we're here because?" Noah asked.
"Awe, come on!" Rex begged. "it's one of the most haunted places ever!"
"It's a tunnel." Noah said, clearly not amused. "Big deal"
"I'm in for it!" Annie piped up. "But I might break something"
"Remember lat time, you tried to take us into a haunted house?" Claire asked, just as amused as Noah.
"That was..." Rex tried to come up with something that didn't sound stupid. "Bad...?"
All 3 of his friends looked at him with boredom.
Rex groaned. "Ok fine" He folded his arms and pouted. "Any ideas?"
A loud explosion erupted nearby making the girls scream and hug the guys. Both boys were pleasantly surprised but then Rex took charge. "I'm going to check it out." The group ran over and saw a subway entrance caved in with smoke pouring out.
"What happened?" Rex asked a civilian.
"The train just went up in flames!" A woman shouted. "A man said that there was an EVO down there!"
"An EVO?" Noah asked.
"I thought you cured them all." Annie said.
"Most of them" Rex said.
Noah explained the whole 'want to be cured' deal to the girls.
"So, who ever this was, they wanted to stay an EVO" Claire thought. "Why?"
"I know a lot of people that stayed EVO because it was the right thing to do." Rex said. "And then there's me and Bobo." He heard another explosion. "And some people are just really messed up in the head." Rex said. His hand became the giant fists and he removed the debris. "I'm going down there! You guys stay up here!"
"but...!" Annie tried to argue but Rex was already down the stairs.
"I'll call Providence" Claire said.
"Good Idea." Noah said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dean waited on the platform as the rain approached. This was it. His right for passage from student to equal. As the train stopped, Dean boarded. There was his target, just 2 meters away. However the hunter didn't realize that the hunter was being hunted.
As Dean inched forward, unnoticed someone inched behind him, unnoticed. The man was a foot away from his target when someone grabbed his shoulder. "You're coming with me"
Trying not to lose his cool, Dean turned around and looked up at a big, tall man that had vengeance in his eyes. "Yes sir?" Dean asked.
"Don't yes sir, me." The man leaned into Dean's face. "I don't take crap from EVOs"
A few people heard the man and backed away. Soon, the news traveled through the whole train and everyone, including Dean's target avoided him like the plague. This was not good.
"Um, I'm not an EVO. I don't see, nor do I feel any slime or extra body part sprouting outta me." Dean said.
"Don't be smart, filthy EVO scum"
Dean blinked at his accuser. "What your name exactly"
"I don't have to tell you anything. I'm just gonna scrub your stink off this train"
Dean was already next to the door and as soon as it stopped at the next station he dived out, along with his target and his hunter. Dean dodged one of the Hunter's punches and knocked over his target with a move that appeared accidental to the crowd. When the train was about to leave, Dean shoved his target inside with another on purpose accident, while also avoiding the Hunter. The assassin leaped onto the top of the train as it lurched forward and sped down the track. The Hunter joined the Assassin a few cars behind.
Dean was able to reach the front of the train and jumped in. With a Tanto near the driver's throat, Dean threatened him to change the course.
"but... but that track leads to a dead end."
"good" Dean said. "Switch them, or never speak again"
The driver did as he was told and the train was yanked by the switch, throwing the passengers to the left. The Hunter burst through the roof and hit Dean hard. "I knew all EVOs were bad. You were trying to kill him"
"Necessary casualties in my line of work" Dean said.
"You're a horrible person"
"I admit, I'm a bad guy, but not a horrible person" Dean said. He ran out of the door, connecting the cars and onto the first one. Using is weapon, as well as all his strength, he cut the engine free. "goodbye, Hunter Cain"
Cain glowered at Dean as the engine continued to speed towards the wall. Although his quarry did not hear him, he spoke anyway. "you've forced me to do this EVO. Remember that" In his pocket, was a trigger. It was wired to multiple bombs in the tunnels to trap Dean down in them. He leaped off the engine just before it hit the wall and blew to pieces, then... activated to explosives. In a matter of minutes, a chain of bombs went off trapping everyone in the tunnels.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rex slowly walked on the tracks of the subway. The people trapped on the platform were already outside and being helped. "Here EVO" Rex called. "Hello?"
"Rex" Six walked down the stairs. "Any idea on what we're dealing with?"
"No sign yet" Rex said. "But, this wasn't from an EVO attack."
"This was caused by bombs" Six cut Rex off. "We know. And not just any bombs, Rex. They're from Hunter Cain"
"Oh, not him again" Rex complained. "He's such a pain the butt."
An explosion echoed through the tunnels and the partners raced for the sound.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"How can you sit there and call me a killer, when you obviously are after my head?" Dean dodged the bullets that Hunter fired.
"You're an EVO! A disease!"
"I am not!" Dean shouted. "Geez! Does it look like I'm a raging purple dinosaur?!"
"Not all EVO's are unrecognizable." Hunter said taking out another gun.
"That still doesn't make me an EVO" Dean smarted off.
"But this does!" Hunter shouted and chucked a grenade at the assassin. Dean tried to run off but it exploded before he could. A few minutes later he awakened to Hunter's face. "How am I not dead?"
"How is it, I know more about you than you do?" Cain asked. "you've never noticed that you can't die?"
"Dude, I can die. It's just not easy."
"Ever wondered why?" Cain asked.
"Not particularly" Dean said and lunged at Cain hitting him square in the chest with his elbow. Cain went down gasping for breath.
"You're not hunting me again" Dean demanded.
Cain pulled on a rope, buried in the dirt and Dean tripped backwards. He then, also gasped for breath and laughed. "Nasty little trick." He coughed and went on all fours only to be kicked in the side."
"CAIN!"
Dean's vision was blurry. He looked up and saw a man in orange with a sword bearing the same color. Cain engaged the person and the stranger cried in pain after being hit with something. As Dean's vision cleared he recognized the face of his secondary target and his friend, Rex. "What did you hit him with?"
"This!" Cain exclaimed and pressed the same device against Dean's arm. The 19 year old screamed in pain and out of pure defense he jabbed his weapon into his attacker. At the same time he could hear Rex yell out 'no'.
Dean fell to his knees to catch his breath and started at the blood on his hands. His first kill was not his target; in fact, he let his target slip away. Dean looked up and saw Rex starting at him in fear.
"What?!" Dean shouted. He stood up and saw his next target standing just out of reach, also a bit surprised. He got up and cringed from a gash in his right shoulder. Tearing off his sleeve he saw his target get even more surprised.
"No way" he said.
Dean looked up, adrenaline still flowing and attacked. Rex stepped in front and hit Dean with his fist, throwing him into the wall. "Leave him alone!"
Dean's head cleared after hearing a high-pitched beeping sound. He looked over at the wall and saw a box taped to it with a blinking red light. "BOMB!" All three raced down the tunnel and just reached the 1st car of the train when the device blew, sending dust and rock tumbling down on them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When the dust settled, a 5 ft. thick wall of fallen rock separated Rex and Dean from the outside world. 1/3 of the empty train car was still in tact.
"this is your fault!" Rex shouted and aimed for Dean who nimbly moved out of the way.
"If you keep doing that, I'll be the only one walking out of here."
"Oh so what? You're going to kill me next!?" Rex created his cannon and Dean tackled him.
"You are a moron!" Dean shouted. "Do that and this whole place comes down!"
"Get off of me!" Rex shouted back. He tired to shove Dean off.
"I can't die! you can!"
"What are you talking about?" Rex asked, looking up at the assassin.
Cain hit me with a grenade and all I got was this." Dean let Rex go and pointed to the gash on his arm. "Cain was right, I am an EVO I should be dead from that grenade"
"Yeah, you should" Rex said angrily. "you just killed him."
"What would you have done if your babysitter wasn't there? Either you or him would have bit the dirt"
"Six is not my babysitter!" Rex yelled. "I've already told that to your stupid sister!"
The boys got into each other's faces and started arguing over Six and Cassie, each defending their side and insulting the others.
"look!" Dean finally finished it. "We're not getting anywhere with this. Why don't we just get out of here and call it even."
"Just let me make a door" Rex said, his hands transforming.
Dean hit him in the back of the head. "I'm not willing to risk my life for some stupid kid's ego! There's a chance of this whole thing collapsing on us if you just blindly charge forward!"
"what do you have in mind oh intelligent one." Rex smarted off.
There was a silence then Rex opened his mouth.
Dean held up his hand before anything came out. "Do you here that?"
"Hear what?" Rex asked.
"shh" Dean hushed him.
"well you asked"
"Shut up!"
Silence filled the hole. It was broken by small whimpers. "It's coming from the train" Dean said and slowly made his way over. Rex followed with more curiosity than anything else.
When Dean saw who it was, he raced over and called to Rex who rushed over as well. It was a little girl, pinned under the rock.
"What are you doing here?" Rex asked. He got another swipe from Dean.
"Just lift up the rocks." Dean ordered.
"what about a potential cave in?" Rex remarked.
"Lift them slowly. Just enough for me to get her out."
Rex mocked him but made his hands change anyway. Dean crouched behind the girl and put his arm over her chest. "Take my arm"
She grabbed his arm hard as Rex lifted up the debris that held her in place. She cried as Dean pulled her to safety.
"Sh, it's ok." Dean said and held her in his lap. "You're safe now." He used acupressure to make her leg stop hurting.
"What'd you do?" Rex asked.
Dean explained it as simply as he could. "It's numbs the pain. But I can't do it again or it'll deaden the nerve. We only have about 30 minutes"
"I want my teddy" The girl sniffed. "And I can't feel my toes." She whimpered as Dean stood up with her in his arms.
"Is that why you came back to the train?" Dean asked.
The girl sniffed and nodded.
"You came back for a stupid teddy bear?" Rex asked.
The girl looked like she was about to cry and Dean scowled at the teen. "Don't mind him. He's a toad"
The little girl giggled and Rex glowered at Dean.
"So where did you leave your teddy?" Dean asked.
"It's under all the rocks" The girl pointed. "He's gone isn't he?"
"Yeah," Dean said. "I'm sorry"
The girl whined.
"don't worry" Dean said. "When we get out of here, I'll buy you a new one. You can pick it out."
The little girl hugged him and he smiled, remembering his sister.
"What's your name?" Rex asked.
"Bailey" The little girl said.
"It's a pretty name" Dean smiled. "I like it."
Bailey giggled again. "What's yours?"
{"Re........x R......ex"}
"Six?" Rex asked. His communicator was still working but due to being underground and blocked in, the message was choppy. "Six, we're ok. Me and the other guy."
{"Is......... he......... you?"}
"Huh?" Rex asked.
{"Is he....... threat?"}
"No, he's cool, for now. I don't trust him at all but we found a little girl. We need to get out of here"
{"noted."}
"Any idea's. The guy says that making a door is a bad idea. I'm starting to think he's right"
{"Bad.......... Idea. Checking...... route."}
"You do mean an alternate route right?"
{"There's.......... way to...... us from....... at. You'll....... walk....... to next....... form"}
"Ok so I think you just said we'll have to walk to the next platform, but that won't work. I'll have to make a door either way."
"It's less stable going towards the closest one but we're standing on the split of the 2 tracks. You make a door through the actual wall, we get home" Dean said.
"Six?" Rex asked. "you get that?"
{"Listen....... him"}
Rex groaned. "fine. I'll listen. But he is so getting it when we're back outside"
Static filled Six's response and Rex tried to reach his partner again with no luck.
"Are we going home?" Bailey asked.
"Yeah," Dean said. "Rex can get us home. I'll just help him."
"Help me?" Rex asked. "you've been telling what to do since we got trapped down here. You're the one that did this in the first place!"
"I'm not the owner of the bomb. That was Hunter Cain. I didn't know there was one there" Dean argued. "just make the hole and lets get out of here. We'll end up choking on dust if we stay. Plus, I can't help Bailey anymore than I already have. I know first aid but it won't do much good."
"Why should I listen to you?" Rex asked. "You're a killer!"
"Well so is your partner!" Dean shouted. "Ever think of that!? You still listen to him!"
Bailey whimpered and tightened her grip around Dean's neck and he sighed. "look, let's forget this and just get above ground. You can chew me out up there. I just want to get Bailey to safety"
Rex grumbled and hit the wall, making a giant hole with ease. "There"
"Ya know" Dean said. "You're welcome to take the lead from here on."
Rex did exactly that. "these tunnels can starch for miles. It could take us at least 20 minutes to get the next platform."
Dean sighed "is there any other way?"
"I could carry you on my bike but it could hurt her."
"Then we walk" Dean said.
They walked the rest of the way and Baily fell asleep. Dean finally broke the silence with a stupid question. "I still find it hard to believe that you work with Six"
"Why?" Rex asked. "Have you met him?" He slowed to match his pace with Dean's.
"Never" Dean said. "But I've heard of him. Both the good and the bad." He looked to the floor. "There's a price on his head ya know."
"Is that why you tried to kill him?" Rex asked.
"not really" Dean said. He looked away. "ok, yeah. Some one asked alright. But back there, when I... I wasn't thinking."
"That's not an excuse to kill Cain or attack Six" Rex scolded.
"I defended myself against Cain. It was his fault, not mine" Dean shouted. Baily moaned and he lowered his voice. "Attacking Six was wrong. Now that I know who he is, I won't touch him"
"Why is that?" Rex asked. "Because now you know he's my partner instead of my babysitter?"
Dean sighed and fell back going to the left of Rex and catching back up. "See that symbol on my arm?" He asked.
Rex tilted his head. "What is it?"
"Without the dirt or the cut, it's a roman 7."
Rex's eyes went big. "You're... but Six said"
"I came into the group after the thing with one." Dean explained. He sighed. "I regret ever asking"
"Really?" Rex asked.
"You have no idea" Dean said. "I had to cut off everything. No more DJ, no more sister. She's still alive and well, but I can't have anything to do with her once I become one of them. I never considered what went into the request I made. All I wanted was to be the best. The best fighter in the network."
"Network?" Rex asked.
"My father worked a chop shop. There's whole networks of them in some cities. Dad was a solo act. Didn't trust anybody. He shouldn't have anyway. One of the ones across town gave my father a piece of their mind and Dad lost. I wanted revenge and took the shop as my own. The same rival of my father's hired Dos to hit me but I bargained for my life and asked for training but now... it's too much work. I left the shop 3 years ago and haven't bothered with it since. And now I don't think I'm cut out to be one of them. I'm not a killer"
"Wow" Rex said. "now I feel bad"
"For what?" Dean asked. "I guess I kind of deserved to be chewed out. I never meant to..." Dean sighed and started at the ground as he walked.
"Rex!" Dr. Holiday ran up and hugged the hero. "You're ok!"
"Um.... yeah. It's great" Rex said. "Come on Doc"
She let him go and looked over at Dean. Giving him a creepy glare she turned and Rex helped her up back onto the platform. Dean looked up, wondering how he was going to do this with Baily clinging to him.
"I'll take the girl" Holiday said and reached out but Baily protested.
"She... won't let my go" Dean stated.
"ok, New plan" Rex said. He made his hands change and picked up Dean setting him on the platform.
"That works" Dean said a bit surprised.
Holiday glared at Dean. "Fine, then you're just coming with us"
"Coming where?" Dean asked.
"Well if the girl won't let you go...."
To Dean, Dr. Holiday's words trailed off as Bailey whispered a thank you too him.
Dean hugged her tighter and looked up at Holiday. "I promised her a teddy bear. That she could pick out. And that's exactly what I'm going to do." He put his hand on Bailey's head. "But I can't do that unless you get better. ok?"
Bailey looked up at him.
"See her?" Dean asked and turned to let Bailey look at Holiday. "She can make you feel all better. You won't hurt anymore. After you're all better, we can go buy your teddy bear. Ok?"
"Ok" Bailey said and Dean handed her off.
"Can you come with me?" Bailey asked.
A bit of sadness flowed over Dean and looked at the little girl. "I'm sorry Bailey. But I can't"
The little girl sighed and looked down. "Ok"
Dean looked at Holiday. "The acupressure will wear off any minutes now. I suggest getting her something to dull the pain so she won't get scared."
Holiday nodded and took the girl up the stairs and out into the daylight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rex and Six were talking, occasionally looking at Dean as he tried to convince the girl to let him go. Rex told Six just about everything from finding Bailey to Dean's story and even about the price on Six's head.
"He says he's one of you guys" Rex said. "see the tattoo?"
"Yeah, I see it" Six said. "they must have brought another in. "What I don't get is why"
"He's also an EVO" Rex said.
Six looked over as Dean handed Bailey over to Holiday.
"I wonder of the others know"
"Probably not" Rex said. "his nanites are weird. It's like they're only active when he's in a fight"
"Can you come with me?" Bailey asked.
"I'm sorry, Bailey. But I can't"
"ok" the girl looked down sadly and Holiday went up to the surface. Rex followed after.
Six walked over to Dean and folded his arms. "We need to talk."
Dean looked around making sure he couldn't be heard. "look, the one after you is called Gatlocke. I only made the deal to save my sister"
"That's not why I want to talk" Six said.
This is when Dean got worried. "um ok"
"First," Six said. "You don't have choice. You're coming to headquarters for a full examination."
"Joyous" Dean said sarcastically. "So... um..."
"We'll talk there" Six said. he left and Dean hurried after, not wanting to get in trouble.