‹ Prequel: Glitch

007

An Evo Among Us

"What are we looking at?" Holiday asked.
"These are pretty unstable nanites" Caesar explained. "It's almost as if they're inactive when he's at rest but if his heart rate rises to a certain point, they become activated like any other EVO. He doesn't really have control."
Dean sighed. "Great, I'm an EVO. At least I look normal instead of some goo monster or something"
"goo monster?" Caesar asked. "Not all EVO's are like that"
"Were" Rex said. "And most of them were. They smelled too"
Dean laughed. "Yeah ok"
Holiday sighed. "I need to see how your nanites work in a fight. Rex, you and Dean go down in the petting zoo."
"Why do I have to go?" Rex asked.
"Think of it as a training exercise." Six said.
"Besides," holiday said. "It's because I told you to"
Rex pouted. He didn't have an argument for that. Dean laughed out loud at the hero. "What is she your mom?" He shut up when Holiday glared at him again.
"Watch it" She was scary when she got mad.
"Yes ma'am" Dean said.
It was Rex's turn to laugh.
"Just go" holiday ordered.
The boys left and did as they were told.
"I have good idea to start getting Dean's heart rate up" Caesar said. "I remember when his little sister and Rex were having the snow ball fight"
"weren't you in that too?" Holiday teased.
"That's not the point here" Caesar tried to avoid the subject. "I heard her say that he was afraid of the dark." He smiled mischiviously. "I want to test her accusation"
Holiday rolled her eyes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dean screamed as the lights shot out.
"did you just scream like a little girl?" Rex asked and laughed hard. "are you afraid of the dark?"
"Shut up!" Dean shot. "I am not!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Caesar chuckles and Holiday gives a light smile.
"When the lights went off, Dean's heart rate increased exponentially." he laughs "He really is afraid of the dark"
Holiday laughs and Six just shakes his head.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dean was getting annoyed at Rex's teasing. "I am not afraid of the dark! I'm just not..." He screams "Something touched me!" Dean stumbled backward into the water.
"Dude!" Rex shouted. "Chill out! It's probably just one of the..." He yells as someone shoves him into the water. "Thanks a lot." Rex coughed as he dragged himself up. "I really needed a bath."
"It wasn't Seven" a voice said and shoved Rex into the water again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What's going on?" Caesar asked, thinking out loud as he always does.
"Both Rex and Dean's nanites are fully activated." Holiday said. "I don't get it"
"more so than when the ligths went out." Casear added. "Besides, Rex isn't afraid of the dark"
"hit the red lights" Six ordered. "Give them something " He didn't give the order for Rex and Dean but so he could see for himself. Something was up. Rex really wasn't afraid of the dark and he wouldn't blindly attack anyone.
Caesar nods and hits the lights.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dean looks up as red light floods the petting zoo. "ok, Red is better than black" He sits on the edge, not seeing Rex anywhere. "Rex?" Thinking the kid was still under the water, Dean got ready to dive in. But Rex burst the surface just before. "Rex!" Dean helped him out.
"Ok, it wasn't you." Rex said looking behind him. "You don't talk in third person".
"Yeah, no. That's creepy. Why?"
"Someones with us." Rex changed his hands. "He shoved me into the lake saying that it wasn't seven."
"Ok?" Dean said, uneasy. "I'd really prefer Dean. And I don't talk in thirds" He saw movement and whispered to Rex. "On your left."
Rex shouted out the the other person. I don't how you got in here. But I'm kicking you out!" He saw the same movement on his left and attacked.
The person hit Rex right in the shoulder where he transformed, making Rex yell in pain and go down hard. His machines shattered apart.
"Oh, that shouldn't have hurt that much" Rex groans.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just after the lights flipped on, Caesar spotted the two boys. "There they are"
"they're soaking wet" Holiday said, more out of annoyance.
Six saw movement on the boys' left."They're not alone"
Caesar. turned on the infrared "let's see who it is. It could just be on the animals."
Six had already left, knowing it wasn't an animal.
"you lost him Caesar" Holiday said, folding her arms.
Caesar looked at infrared with surprise. "that's because it's a person down there" He smiled stupidly. "Besides Rex and Dean, of course"
Holiday got fed up with him. "Yeah I got that. I'm not stupid" She took her guns and followed after Six. "Get the lights up"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dean looked on at the intruder with awe "Ok, so let's say you know robotics pretty well." He took out his two Tantos. "Let's see if you know hand to hand. With me." His nanites made him what Rex called 'superman'. With Dean's comment of not being able to be killed, Rex took the initiative to give his power a name.
"Ok, guy!" Rex groaned and failed to change his hands again. "Ow. What did you do to me"
The man smirked and came up behind him. "I blocked your nanites"
Dean stared at him in shock. "you're like a chi blocker!"
"Oh someone give the boy a prize." The man chuckled.
Rex tried and tried again. "AH!"
Dean jumped in front of him blocking a weapon from the other guy. "Rex Go!"
Rex looked up as Dean was hit with the same thing that hit him. The teen arched and fell to his knees in pain. With some final strength, he back-fisted the guy but missed.
"That's it!" Rex growled. He tried to create the metal sword with some results but it just fell apart as soon as it was put together. The intruder used his weapon, firing an electronic pulse to throw him back against the door.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Holiday glanced at the device she carried while running beside Six. "Rex's nanites have bottomed out already! How is that possible?"
Six opened the door, only to catch Rex as the kid was flung across the room.
Rex groaned. "he... blocks nanites" He slowly stood back up with the help of Six.
"My nanites don't inhibit my fighting!" Dean shouted and came down on the intruder. "I could care less!"
The man tried to dodge but got struck on the top of his shoulder. He yelled and elbowed Dean in the chest. "You're good. But I'm better"
"you haven't met me yet" Six said and took out his swords again.
"Six he's a chi blocker!" Dean warned. "That thing he has makes it work on nanites!"
"Noted"
"no wonder you're BIO's are so low" holiday said and helped Rex up.
Rex was too frustrated to be nice. "No duh"
Dean managed to get the man in a head lock. "So what do they call you"
However the guy maneuvered his arm to elbow Dean in the chin, bringing him down. "Knockout." He saw Six and threw a few smoke bombs on the ground. When it cleared, he was gone, hiding somewhere in the zoo.
"Ah! I can't! My machines won't stay..." the poor kid was so frustrated. Dean actually felt bad for him.
"Rex you have to focus." Six said.
Caesar came over the communicators. "Um, your mystery guy go to the circuiting for the actual lights. You're going to be in the Red for a while."
"Great" Holiday grumbled. "Fix them as soon as you can"
"On it"
"Rex, it'll wear off. Just cool down"
Rex glared at him. "My nanites don't exactly inhibit me either!"
Dean was caught off guard. "I said that poorly, I meant that they're not as big as a deal as yours are to you."
Rex was still mad at him. Sorry didn't cut it. "who is he?" He said trying to get off the subject.
"How did he get in her in the first place?" Holiday asked.
"Other than being 'knockout' and knowing my number? I have no idea." Dean said. "He could have worn one of your people's costumes"
Six looked up at Dean an eyebrow raised. So far, out of the group, only Rex and Six knew about Dean being 'Seven'.
Dean bit his lip. "yeah, he knows."
"I'm not even asking" Holiday said. She cocked her weapon. "Caesar, work on getting those lights up" She walked in front of every one and turned her head to look at them. "Lets go find this nanite blocker and take him down" She started walking.
"Wow" Dean chuckled.
Rex and Six just nodded. "Yeah"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Knockout tended to slit on his face and the gash in his shoulder. "You're quicker than I thought, Seven." He said, talking to himself. "Well I'll just have to adapt to that" He grunted against pain of cleaning the wounds."Then, you will die" He stood up, hearing a rustle from behind him. "Here kitty kitty." He smiled like the Joker and walked that way. "I know this trick" He turned to catch his attacker but realized there is none"
Dean dropped down from the tree above and behind Knockout. "I am not a cat" He said and as the enemy turned to face him, Dean landed a good fist in his face.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Knockout only stumbled back. "Nice trick, Seven. You're making the art personal. They thought you would eventually. But not this fast."
Six: landed behind just inches from attacking when Knockout dodged and hit the agent square in the stomach.
It was like slow motion for Dean. He saw how the hit was right in Six's center and got a sudden realization. This guy knew what he was doing.
Six struggled to get up but he felt like gravity just doubled. He could barely stand.
"SIX!" Rex raced forward, only to be caught by Dean holding out his hand.
"hold still" Dean said and copied Knockout's move. He knew Rex could stand a hit like that but he also knew he would pay for it later.
Rex tumbled over and snarled at Dean. "What was that for?!"
Dean dodged Knockout's hit. "Just try to change!" He elbowed Knockout in the chin.
Rex went to hit Dean and without even thinking about it he created his whip. "Whoa! How'd you get them back?"
Dean wrestled with Knockout trying to bring him down. "Just hit him!"
Rex glanced at Six, who was still unable to stand. He dodged a flying Dean and hit Knockout, his whip wrapping around the guy. Rex yanked him to the ground and sent him an electric shock. Knockout screamed in pain. "That's for Six!" Rex yelled.
Dean helped Six up and looked over at Rex and the intruder.
"What a sly move, Seven. Never thought you would be able to..." Knockout get's interrupted by Holiday.
"you need to stop talking!"
Rex let Knockout go so holiday could get a shot in. hen attacked while he was distracted and the guy tumbled to the ground.
"Oh, what a hit" Knockout stood up, dizzy on his feet.
"Are you 1/2 crazy, are completely crazy?" Rex asked I can't tell.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"OW!" Dean glowers at Holiday as she shocks him.
"It'll help jump start your nanites. After all, you can't hit yourself" While the others were fighting, she was working in petting zoo lab to figure out how to reverse Knockout's chi blocking.
Holiday was about to take Six from him when knockout grabs Rex's whip and uses it against him. He throws Rex to the side and runs over, weapon in hand. "Ya wanna
know what this does to person?"
Dean drops Six and grabs Holiday out of the way, knowing that Knockout would go for her. But Knockout was spastic and random. He lurched the other direction
and headed for Six.
Rex was able to stop him in time and the lights went out.
"Caesar!" Rex yelled.
"Maybe I did that wrong" Caesar thought aloud. "Sorry Hermano, let me try this one. Just give me a sec"
Silence filled the petting zoo. Everyone was was waiting for the next attack. and they got it. But on the only person that Knockout had not yet attacked.
Holiday yelled in pain as a eerie blue light came from her attacker. It was the thing that Knockout used on Rex and Dean. It lit up the area showing the evil grin
sprawled across knockouts face. "This is what it does to a person that's not and EVO"
holiday dropped and the light slammed back on.
"Ha ah! got it!" Caesars victory was cut short.
Six had leaped to life and viciously attacked Knockout.
Dean could feel his nanites beginning to activate thanks to holiday's shock and made himself 'superman' he charged knockout just after one of Six's violent
attacks and blocked the intruder's Chi with a devastating hit the his center.
"you're down for the count. Knockout" Dean said. As a final blow, he hit the intruder square in the face. Knockout was KO'd.
Six was already holding Holiday.
"Holiday!" Rex asked. "He was right beside his partner. "Is she gonna be ok?"
Six gave no answer but picked up the doctor and both he and Rex ran up to the tower.
Dean grabbed Knockout and made sure he would cause trouble again. Not killing but caging him. In the hold.