‹ Prequel: Glitch

007

Flirt

"she ok?" Dean asked quietly.
"I'll be fine. Just..." Holiday sighed. She was sitting up but still groggy. Six stayed no more than 3 feet away at all times.
Caesar explained that Dr. Holiday just needed a 'restart'. In a sense, the device that Knockout had basically just shocked the doctor. "It was bad enough that it stopped her heart for a moment but we brought her back."
Dean looked at the doctor in surprise. "She's already awake? From that?"
"She's tougher than she looks." Rex said.
"Still..." Dean said. "That's intense; I'm impressed." He smiled. "Now I kinda wish that I didn't slap her hand away"
Holiday was too busy talking to Six to hear him so Rex responded. "Baby"
Dean grumbled. "Look, I'm used to my sister caring for me. Not an actual doctor. ok?"
Rex shrugged. "Yeah ok. At least I'm not afraid of the dark"
"I am not afraid of the dark!" Dean shouted. "Don't act all tough! You probably sleep with a teddy bear!"
The room went silent and all looked at Rex.
"do you?" Holiday asked teasing him.
Rex got all flustered and folded his arm. "No!"
Dean just started laughing and Holiday smiled.
Rex just scowled them all.
"Six, how's Holiday?" White Knight appeared on a screen.
"I'm fine" Holiday answered. She really was tough.
"If you're wondering, I put your intruder in that hold you have" Dean said. He looked down and put his pointer fingers together. "Um, I think I locked anyone in and out of it."
"At least he's contained." White said. He gave a few orders about keeping Knockout contained, finding out what he wants and other important things. There was a silence as he left and Dean figured he'd ask the question that's been bugging him.
"So, if I'm an EVO, does that make Cassie one too?"
"Not really" Caesar said. "Rex is an EVO but I am not."
Dean shrugged. "That makes since. She is a fish, but I guess that doesn't maker her an EVO"
The team looked at him like he was crazy.
"It's a figure of speech" Dean said. "She swims a lot." He felt like an idiot.
The team then discussed the reasons about why Knockout would have attacked. Six kinda already knew but a piece was missing that he couldn't quite get.
Dean turned down the off to help figure it out. He already knew, just as much as Six did. Dean knew that the whole 'no witnesses' rule made him a target after he officially decided that he was going to drop out and not become one of the others. The only question was why send Knockout? Was it against the rules to go into another mercenary's 'territory' or something? If Six didn't know, then, maybe not. Knockout was a wild card.
So instead of trying to get answers, Dean talked with Caesar. Six seemed a bit irritated with Dean anyway. So the kid avoided the agent as much as he could.
"If you could just...." Caesar didn't even need to say it. "Oh, thanks" Dean had already known what to do. "How did you know I needed you to do that?"
"I'm kinda of a tech geek" Dean said. "Working on cars with my dad and more at my school. Plus improving things like my sister's I-pod, my booth um..." Dean looked up, trying to remember other things.
"Cool" Caesar said. He stood up from lying on the ground. "That should do it. I've officially fixed Knockout sabotage. Thanks for helping"
Dean shrugged. "I know when I'm not wanted." He looked over at the window, leading out to the zoo. "This is kind of my fault."
Caesar looked at him. "How is it your fault?"
"I think I know the person who sent Knockout." Dean said shamefully. "I should have known better than to quit the gang"
"you were in a street gang?" Caesar asked. "You don't seem like a person that would be"
"Yeah, Rex said that too. And Six"
"Six said that?" Caesar asked. He chuckled.
Dean smiled and a nervous chuckle escaped him. "Yeah. So, what's it like having an EVO as a brother?" Dean said and as he said it he realized his tone was a bit rude. "Well I mean I'm just asking. I might get some insight on it might effect my sister"
Caesar laughed. "Rex is like any normal kid. Just with powers. Well, he calls them that." He then explained it in detail, as he usually does when it comes to nanites. "But we never planned on him being normal. Everything we did before the event was meant for him"
"Wow" Dean admired. He looked over at the zoo, seeing Six holding back Rex with his usual glare. Rex looked like he was about to slap the person in the hold. It made Dean smile with amusement. "He's incredible. I mean, the only EVO I know that can really control his nanites like that?"
"It's fun having him as a brother" Caesar said. "Especially when he was little."
They both laughed and Caesar started telling Dean stories of little Rex as he worked. Both brothers reflected over their younger siblings acting and saying things that were funny or cute. Including the story of Rex wearing underwear on his head. On witch Rex called in.
"Caesar!" He said. "Don't tell him that!"
After getting over that embarrassment, Rex told Caesar that they didn't get much out of their captive. But they did get a location. It was in the Caribbeans and Rex wanted to know if Caesar wanted to come.
"It sounds fun" Caesar said. "but I can't"
"I need to head home." Dean said. "My sister's probably wondering where I've been. It's been longer than a week"
"That wouldn't be a good Idea" Six broke in. "You should stick with us until this situation is dealt with"
Dean simply nodded. Rex and Caesar both gave light shrugs, totally wondering what was going on.
"Hey well the more the merrier" Rex said. The screen went black and he asked to bring Noah along.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
["Number seven please step up to the plate!"
"dude, really?" Cassie asked.
A goofy grin spread across her classmate's face as he brought her up to her feet. "Well, since someone's brother didn't care to take her anywhere she is coming with us!"
"And that would be where?"]
Cassie looked up at the sun remembering how she was chosen. Her classmates had brought her along for a Pre-Christmas trip to the Caribbeans. This guy's dad was rich so he was aloud to bring 6 friends. his 5 closest and Cassie, who believed that he had a crush on her.
"Cassie!" the guy ran up to her. "Come swim with us!" He raised his eyebrows and looked really cocky as he attempted to look proud. "I'm the best there is"
"You haven't swam with me yet" Cassie said and then realized she just got conned into saying that. "I hate you"
"No you don't" he grabbed her wrist and raced to water. "Come on!"
Cassie broke free and shook her head. "I'm an adrenaline junky, Kevin. I gotta get more than just running into the water" she walked away, towards the restaurant balcony that overlooked the water. Kevin looked severely depressed, thinking that she just left him for food.
She stood up on it and smiled at him and he got a little hope back.
"no rule against this" She said. "Well at least not this late at night"
She stood up on the edge and dived into the water, hearing the others gasp just before she hit the surface. As she felt the water surge around her she opened her eyes and swam towards the open ocean. Coming up she called to Kevin. "Come on Kev! I'm waiting to beat you in a race!"
"You're on!" Kevin swam out to her, goggles on and ready.
"Alright!" one of Kevin's friend was playing the part of the referee. "Who ever reaches Lover's Cove first wins!" He did the whole, 'ready set go' and the pair raced off. Then the 5 friends ran off towards the hotel. This whole thing was a set up to try and win Cassie over for Kevin.
Kevin did the classic free-stroke but Cassie dived under the water and stayed there the whole time. Not only id she beat the top swimmer but she also didn't take a breath during the whole 4 minute swim.
"How did you do that?" Kevin asked, all out for breath.
Cassie was breathing almost as hard but took 1/3 of the time to breathe normally. "Conditioning, Lots of it. I probably spend 1/4 of my life in the water. It started when I tried to sneak up on my brother. I could never hold my breath long enough to get him. So I practiced until I could sneak up on him without breaking the surface. It was kind of a stupid goal, but I was only 9 years old. Then, when Dean got into martial arts, I got into swimming and kept on conditioning myself to stay under water as long as possible. the longest I've gone is 4 1/2 minutes.
"Dang" Kevin said. "that's amazing. It's like you're part fish!"
"I might be" Cassie teased.
"you know why they call this place Lover's Cove?" Kevin asked leaning forward.
Cassie shoved him in the water. "Go eat a fish!"
Kevin popped up and laughed. "I was only teasing."
Cassie just folded her arms. Mm hmm."
"I was!" Kevin said. "I'm actually not aloud to date until I'm 16 anyway." He grinned. "That's in 2 months"
Cassie was not amused. "congratulations." she slid into the water and swam off.
"Cassie!" Kevin said. "Come on!" He grabbed his goggles and followed after and at about 2 1/2 minutes of trying, and failing to catch up to her he stopped and was going to swim to shore. But decided against it when he saw her going further into the water and over the trench that was about a mile out.
"Cas!" He said. "We're not aloud that far out!" He groaned and swam after her. Taking a breath he dived under the water and watched her go deeper and deeper. She stopped after going about 1/2 way down, which was about 20 meters, and came back up, taking a deep breath.
"That was impressive." Kevin said.
"Thanks" Cassie said, not meaning a word. They swam back to shore and she grabbed her towel. "I'm going back to my room."
Kevin hung his head. He messed up. "Cassie! Hold on!"
She didn't even look back.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"stupid girl"
ahaha! you shouldn't have done that!"
"No derp doofus!" Kevin hit his friend and grumbled. "I have a big mouth"
"You bet you do!" Another friend said. "Come on Kevin. You should no better! Look at he brother!"
"Yeah, I know. He's some kind of ninja or something" Kevin said. "She's probably got ninja training from him"
"No dude, he's right there"
Kevin looked up and saw Dean walking with 2 other guys around his age. "Hey maybe I could ask him..."
"NO!" one friend freaked out. "You do that you're done for! A girl doesn't want you to ask her family about her! That's like asking you mom if you're cool!"
This got the Dean and the others interested.
"What girl are you hitting on this time, Kevin?" Dean asked.
Kevin froze up. "uh.. she... um.. uh... a girl"
the two guys that were younger than him laughed.
"Her name is K something" One of Kevin's friend piped up. "She's here too. Um... blonde.... tall"
Kevin turned and glared at his friend. The idiot gave a good description of Cassie. If he said 'C' instead of 'K' Kevin would have died. Dean didn't like him very much to begin with.
"Look" Dean said. He turned as Rex was pulled away with a communicator call. "We both know that I don't like you. But don't go to girl's family. That's just asking for trouble. If you really like her instead of what you usually do with just showing her off. Then don't try to win her over with cash. Just be you"
"Well, yeah" Kevin hung his head. "I kinda made her mad at me yesterday"
"Then just say you're sorry" Noah interjected.
Dean nodded. "Yeah, sometimes an apology goes a long way"
"Ok" Kevin said. "Thanks" As Dean left, his 3 friends around him almost tackled him, rubbing his hair in celebration. He came away unscathed which usually never happens if a guy goes to a girl's brother.
"dude there she is!"
Kevin looked over and saw Cassie walking down the boardwalk yawning. She looked over in his general direction in mid yawn and kept her mouth open. She was obviously surprised.
"Think she's happy to see me?" Kevin asked. But no, Cassie sped right past him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Dean!"
Dean turned and got glomped before he could even see who it was. But he already knew. He laughed and embraced his sister. Cas!"
"oh my gosh you're here! How'd you know? where have you been? Why are they here? did you bring them?" (Remind you of someone?)
"Cassie, just a sec." Dean said pulling her off. "I'm here for a special mission for my teacher. They just happened to come with me"
"this is a beach," Cassie said with a straight face. "you brought friends, and it's winter break. You, are a liar."
Dean let a nervous chuckle loose. "Ok, you win. But I'm not on vacation. We're looking for something. I'm kinda on a job with them... well... no. It's hard to explain ok?"
"Please tell me they'll allow you to have fun" Cassie demanded.
Dean look over at Rex and Noah. They gave him a 'are you serious?' look.
Dean looked back at her. "Yeah, yeah they will"
Cassie hugged him again. "Yea!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hey, Cassie?" Kevin ran over when Dean left. "I'm uh... I'm sorry about last night. That was bad."
"Yeah it was" Cassie said, still mad. But her face softened when she realized Kevin was serious.
Dean looked over and saw Kevin talking to Cassie. The conversation he was having with Holiday totally dropped off.
"Dean" Holiday said. "What were you saying about Knockout? Dean?"
Dean could tell that Kevin was apologizing to Cassie, based on his posture. She saw his sister smile and nod at Kevin and Kevin looked really happy.
The 19 year old clenched his fists. "K something my..."
"Dean" Holiday said firmly. "Pay attention"
Dean turned and finished off his sentence. "What I was say was that if I could get Knockout's device, I could track it and find out the dealer. Now if you don't mind, I have other things to do"
"Hey" holiday said but it was useless, Dean was gone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Why did he just leave?" Rex asked. "I think I have an idea" Caesar said.
Holiday and Rex looked at him for an answer.
"Did you see that kid talking to his sister? It was the same one who Dean first spoke to."
"Big deal" Rex said. "So he knows the kid"
Noah got it. "He doesn't like him. He was mad that the guy was talking to Cassie"
Caesar smiled. "It's natural for older siblings to protect the younger ones. Dean probably saw the guy as a threat" He kept in touch with a visual communicator.
Holiday laughed. "Think of Dean like Cassie's father. Someone flirts with his little girl..." she trails off and lets the others' imaginations take them further.
Rex still looked confused and Noah and Caesar laughed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Poor Cassie" Noah shook his head.
"Hey Cas!" Kevin stopped as he saw Dean staring him down from the boardwalk. He glanced over and saw his friend and went that way instead.
"dude!" He called then got close. "You gotta help me! Dead was not supposed to be here. Cassie said he was at school for the week. Why is he here?"
His friend shrugged. "Sorry man."
"I am so screwed if he stays. I gotta get him off my back! He like a ninja! every time I try to talk to Cassie he's like right there!"
"Let's meet in your room. We can up with something."
Kevin gave him a thumbs up. "Man I so owe you guys."
"you gave us a vacation her. That's owed enough"
Kevin glanced over and saw Dean talking to his sister and ducked behind his friend sneaking off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yeah it's hysterical. He tries to talk to her then chickens out because Dean's nearby." Holiday said.
Caesar laughed as he worked. "This is hilarious. Dean's like an overprotective father. However older brothers are usually more protective when they have younger sisters. A classmate of mine was like that"
"you think it'll work?" Holiday asked.
"It should." Caesar said. "I programmed it to have to opposite effect as Knockout's device so should Rex or anyone else get hit again. This should reverse it. I'll have it over to you by tonight"
"Nice work Caesar." Holiday said. "Six have you found him yet"
"Not yet. But we're close" He and Rex were tracking Knockout. The guy had wriggled out of their grasp and was wandering the island. Dean was helping to look but got too distracted making sure Kevin stayed away from him sister.
Which was a good thing since she was being targeted.