‹ Prequel: Glitch

007

7

"Can you play"
Cassie smirked. "Just give me booth and I'll rock your world." She was deemed official DJ for the group. Dean tried to insist but Cassie was more persistent. She said she had a special song and Dean protested against it but she would hear it.
"you've gotten to serious, Dean" She scolded. "i don't like it. Plus, you look like you haven't slept for 5 years"
"If you had my teacher, you wouldn't want to be sleeping in either." Dean said. "No big deal."
Cassie stuck out her tongue and hit the music. It was late out and she hit the button auto playlist. She dived into the water and didn't care that her brother called her name.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I see Six is in his usual cheery mood" Noah exaggerated. While looking for Knockout, Six had scolded them and told them to keep looking.
"No," Rex said. "I think there's more to it. There's something bugging him"
"how can you tell" Noah asked.
"I just know" Rex said. "Shh!" He held his hand up and listened. Some one was up ahead. They guys sneaked forward to see what it was when a frightened animal raced past them, scaring the crap out of Noah.
"I can't believe you fell for that!" Knockout said. "I didn't" He had leaped behind Rex and Noah while their backs were turned.
"Yeah you did" Rex said. He changed his hands and avoided Knockout's weapon. "I'm not falling for that again"
"Not wanting you to" Knockout said and rushed forward hitting Noah in the stomach. "I need you focus on me."
"Noah" Rex yelled. He growled at Knockout. "you play dirty!"
"you think this is a game, boy?" Knockout asked. "Good!" He raced off. "Then come and get me!"
Rex called Six, saying that he found Knockout and that Noah was down. Six acknowledged and told Rex to follow. There would be a team getting Noah in a few minutes.
Rex raced after the enemy.
"Here Kitty, Kitty!" Knockout called and kicked Rex from behind.
Rex growled and hit him hard. Swamping weapons, into his blue blades. "you're going to pay for that"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cassie was out of the water and playing DJ for the party again. Dean forgot about Kevin but was now looking for something else. Knockout even said he was a distraction and the team figured it was to get Rex away from Dean so someone else could knock him off. But Dean was far from helpless. He had reequipped with something that was more his style. A hardcore military knife, a small pistol and 2 daggers instead of the Tanto.
He was more worried about Cassie than himself. He had become a harder person thanks to the events that went down in the subway over 2 weeks ago. He still had freaky nightmares from it. Perhaps the lack of sleep also made him a bit more rough around the edges.
He kept a close eye on his sister when he heard Rex from over the communicator. "Get ready, Dean. I lost him but we were heading your way"
"Got it." Dean looked up at the DJ booth and saw Kevin talking to Cassie and he sighed. He walked up and took Kevin by the shoulders. The guy almost lost it.
"Chill out, we need to talk."
"Dean!" Cassie said. Dean just gave her a look and she went quiet as her brother took Kevin away.
"I want you to make sure my sister is safe tonight" Dean said. "don't let her out for you sight."
"I thought you didn't like me." Kevin said nervously. "Like, at all"
"I don't" Dean said. "but if you protect Cassie tonight, I just might"
"So, you're turning her over to me. And you trust me enough to keep an eye on her?"
"If she's crying by tomorrow. I'm going after you head." Dean said. "Do you understand?"
Kevin gulped. "Got it."
Dean nodded. "good. Just look after her ok?"
"What's going on?" Kevin asked.
"Work" Dean said. He took out his knife and turned. "You'd better watch out for her"
Kevin took a step back. "I will"
Dean radioed back to Rex and ran off to meet with Knockout.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Oh! Looky what we have here boys! the little sister of the Deal Breaker!" Gatlocke had found out where Cassie was once he realized that Six was still alive. He broke the party with his statement and scared off a lot of them with his gang. Only Cassie, Kevin and Kevin's friends stood in his way.
"your brother broke out deal!" Gatlocke yelled.
"Does it look like I care?" Cassie asked. "You wrecked my party. Party pooper"
Gatlocke growled. "Now I have to kidnap you again and this time, I won't be as nice!"
"Yo crotch rocket!" Cassie shouted. "Shut your pie whole or I'll drag you to the bottom of the trench!"
"you can't swim that far" Kevin whispered.
"you haven't seen my dive when I mean it" Cassie bragged.
"That's 120 feet!"
Gatlocke laughed. "Nice bluff, but no person can go that deep unless they're a fish"
"Try me!" Cassie threatened.
"Cas!" Kevin shouted. "I told your brother..."
"Seven is way over protective" Cassie said.
"Seven?" Kevin asked.
"Ah yes, the rookie" Gatlocke said. "HE BROKE HIS END NOW I'LL BREAK HIS!" His men attacked and Kevin's friends bailed.
"cowards" Cassie shot.
"Come on!" Kevin yanked her away. "Time to go!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Oh what a shame, the prodigal son fails his father!" Knockout said.
Dean hurls a dagger at the guy's face. "Why you? Why send you?"
"Because I don't care!" Knockout said.
"You're a nut job!" Rex said and hit him.
"i'm the only one they need" Knockout said and hit Dean with the device again. Dean fell and cried in pain as the enemy blocked his nanites again. "Rex!" He said hoarsely. "Watch him!"
"you're the one that needs to be watched" Knockout pressed the device against Dean's side making the teenager scream.
Rex yelled and struck Knockout down with one of his machines. Dean was barreled over, trying to make his brain stop hurting. When he heard Cassie's name yelled. His natural protective nature quickly overcame the chi block and he got up hitting Knockout square in the face, deeming him his namesake.
"How did you recover from that so quickly? Rex asked. Six did too. Are you guys, like, trained to be immune to this guy or what?"
"No" Dean said. "come on" Rex called in a team to contain the enemy and ran for the beach.
The scene that greeted them was grim. Kevin was out cold, it was dark, and Cassie was missing. Dean ran over to Kevin, waking him up with water; and not in a nice way. Dean took a large bucket of sea water and dumped it on him.
"What happened?" Dean asked, not bothering to help Kevin up. "Where's Cassie?"
"They... I tired." Kevin looked like he was a bout to cry. "I'm sorry."
"Get off a me you oil breathed, gold digger!" Dean and Rex turned and saw Cassie struggling with Gatlocke and his crew on on of the pirates boats.
"Ok, he dies this time" Dean said.
Rex was about to go help but Dean denied him. "You're needed here. Make sure that weasel doesn't get away from you this time"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cassie sunk her teeth into the hand that reached for her.
"OW!" Gatlocke laughed menacingly. "Looks like we've got a fighter boys."
"What we have is leverage." A voice said. "We need her to bring Seven here. Do anything now, she'll be no use to us." the person sighed. "To be reduced to hostages. How degrading"
"Well, you wanted him. I got him" Gatlocke laughed.
Cassie noticed how terrified he looked. "What are you so scared?" She asked. "Afraid he'll push you into the water?"
Gatlocke slapped her. "Quiet!"
"Hit my sister again, and you lose that hand."
Dean looked over at her and she nodded upwards. "Sup"
Dean rolled his eyes.
"Hey, wait a second." Gatlocke asked. "If we're surrounded by water, how did you get here without getting wet?"
"That'd be me" Rex said landing. He tossed the KO'd Knockout at his feet.
"your dog did a poor job at trying to take me down, Dos" Dean said.
"Oh that was my idea" Gatlocke said. "You still didn't hit my target."
"I'm not hitting a friend." Dean said.
"You did that?" Rex asked. "But... there's no way... you're not coordinated enough. Who else are you with?"
"That would be me, Rex." A man covered in red with a black chest, 4 arms and no face walked into the what little light there was.
"No face?" Rex asked. "Oh come on! It's like the end of the world all over again! What is Valve gonna drive up or something?!"
"Let me guess" Dean said. "Big guy, white hair, likes bikes?"
Rex nodded. "Yeah"
"He helped draw me to my garage when I first made the deal with that idiot" Dean pointed to Gatlocke.
Rex groaned. "you've gotta be kidding" he cut Cassie free. "Ok, I beat your butts before I can do it again"
"We remember that" No face said. "But we've never been after you. It's Seven that we're after"
"Hey, you say complete sentences now." Rex observed. "who taught you?"
"I did" Gatlocke yelled took out his red dagger. "Now can we all shut up?"
Cassie popped her neck. "Sure, but you're first!" She hit him in the face and he went down. An all out war started between those in the boat. Rex called up to Providence saying that no face was behind it all. Why they were after Dean, though, no one was totally for sure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Why Dean?" Six asked.
"Maybe they though he was your student" Holiday pondered. "After all they call him Seven"
"He was never mine to begin with" Six said.
"So, one of the others?" holiday asked.
Six looked over in surprise.
"I've known about them for a while" Holiday said.
"His teacher is Dos." Six said. "If that boy completes his training, he'll be just as ruthless."
Holiday looked more scared than shocked.
"Here" Six said. "Take this to Rex." He handed Holiday the device that Caesar made. "If Knockout had one, No Face probably has one as well."
"What about you?" Holiday asked. With just a look, she got her answer.
Rex screamed in pain as he was hit with the nanite blocking device by No Face. Dean had already been hit and retaliated but this time he was to slow to help Rex. The hero tumbled into the water, his machine's dragging him down. They broke apart but the device had also worked on Rex, not just his nanites.
"Rex!" Dean said and blocked against No Face. He cried out as the EVO's claws dug into him.
"I got him!" Cassie called and dived into the water.
"CAS!" Dean yelled out and grunted as No Face scratched him again.
Cassie dove deeper and deeper into the trench trying to reach Rex. He was out cold and laying limp on at the bottom. Cassie pushed herself to her limit as she grabbed his hand and pushed against the ocean floor, propelling up the to surface. She gasped for air saw a Jet above them. A latter was dropped down and she and Rex were pulled up.
"He got hit again" Cassie said and sat against the wall of the Jet.
"Holiday" Rex said weakly. "I can't move"
"Here" Holiday said. "This should help" She pressed the device that Caesar made against Rex's side. Rex grunted against the pain but it worked. The device counteracted the effect and Rex could move. He sat up and tried out his machines. Still no effect.
"It'll take a while" Holiday said. "How do you feel?"
"Better" Rex chirped. He looked over at Cassie. "Thanks"
Cassie simply gave a thumbs up. "My head hurts"
"How did you dive that deep?" Holiday asked. "That..."
"Conditioning" Cassie said. "Maybe other things. I am a fish after all" she chuckled and laid her head back. "Ow"
Rex tried again and this time it worked. "thanks doc" He said and put his goggles back on. "No Face is going down. He leaped out and Holiday smiled.
"Shouldn't you be going after... oh what's his name... Rex's partner?" Cassie asked as Holiday gave her a check up.
"Six will be fine." Holiday said.
"Why do you think he's taken such an interest in my brother?" Cassie asked. "She looked down. Is it because of what happened?"
"What do you mean?" Holiday asked.
"I know my brother better than anyone" Cassie said. "Ow" She pulled her arm back from Holiday. "What was that for"
"I want to check something" Holiday said.
Cassie stuck out her tongue. "Anyway, Dean acted just like this when Dad died. More separated, quieter, really protective over me... you get it right?"
Holiday stopped her work and looked up at her. "so you think he did something"
"I know he did. He just doesn't want to talk about it."
"Maybe it's better he didn't" Holiday said. "Sometimes knowing is worse than not knowing"
Cassie sighed. "I guess. Could I go to the hotel now?"
Holiday shook her head. "I don't get it. I guess it is just conditioning. You're definitely not and EVO"
"Well duh" Cassie said. Dean's the EVO.
Holiday looked over, truly surprised.
"I found out when he turned invisible once" Cassie chirped. "He was trying to sneak up on our Dad's rival and he turned invisible. He didn't even notice. I told him about it and he said that it was impossible. I don't think he even knows he's one."
"He does" Holiday said. "But not until 2 weeks ago"
"huh" Cassie said. "That's why I said he should go into martial arts. Because he's got the ultimate ninja power" She laughed and it made Holiday smile. "You really are a loyal little sister"
"I'd do anything for him. Even if it meant beating him up." Cassie said. "Once he was tempted to get into those shadowy gangs and I talked him out of it. That'd be bad if he did."
Holiday's smile faded. Cassie didn't know about Dean being '7'.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dean, Rex and No Face ended up on shore. Dean had already gone 'superman' but it wasn't working against the EVO's claws. The guy had scratches all over him.
Rex barreled into No Face, rose up and punched him. "Just go down already" He complained. "Geez, first you can talk straight and now you're tougher? Are you on something or what?" Rex grunted and no face kicked him.
Dean had successfully hit No Face with his ammo, his military knife (now on the ocean floor) and Rex accidentally broke a dagger. The only weapon that hadn't been used was one of the daggers. Dean was in full combat mode; pupils dilated, nanites highly active. He scowled at the EVO. Threatened my friends, you got a hit for that. Threatened me, you got a hit for that. Being an ass, you got a hit for that. But threaten my sister? With that crotch rocket freak? You'll die for that" No Face snarled at him but Dean struck fists. With a hit to stomach, he chi-blocked No Face and came up behind him, head in hands.
"Dean wait!" Rex shouted. "STOP!"
Dean looked up at him. "Give me one good reason., kid"
"how about your sister" Rex said. "Cassie. You know, blonde, tall..."
Dean's pupils went back to normal and he let No Face go. Stepping back he held up it hands. "You're right. I..."
"Rex! Where's Dean!" Cassie was running up with Holiday not far behind.
Rex turned and Dean looked scared. He probably didn't want his sister seeing him like this.
Holiday beat the girl and glanced over at Dean. The guy started to melt into the background. Rex went wide eyed with a 'what the heck' look.
Holiday looked more in awe at the fact that Cassie was telling the truth.
"Where'd he go?" Cassie asked as she came up. Rex about to answer her when Holiday covered his mouth. "Probably looking for you. Try your hotel"
"Ok" Cassie said and ran off.
"What was that for doc?" Rex asked.
Holiday took a handful of dirt and tossed it where Dean was. It fell to the ground. "He was gone before you even looked back."
"Why?" Rex asked.
Holiday looked back to Cassie. "If you were him, would you really want your little sister being afraid of you?"
Rex followed Holiday's gaze. "No, I guess not"