Jack Frost in the World of Elven

1

Nora walked down the halls of her new school. She was so glad that it was cold out because she could wear a hat to cover her ears. She had been at the online academy during the bulk of the year but for the winter semester her mother and father wanted her to try the public school for a semester to see if she could get along with some of earth’s teenagers. That’s right. She was not from earth. She was from another world that was galaxies away. The local astrologists thought that her planet was just another star their telescope captured on film. They thought otherwise when Nora’s world became a black hole and only part of her family barely escaped. When they found earth the locals thought that they would try to conquer this world. Nora’s father told the leaders not to be afraid. They didn’t listen since they could not understand her people. Yet one astrologist was on their side. He vouched for then and taught them the language of his people. Now, Nora and her family had human names and Nora even went to a human school. As she turned for her 1st period class she saw boy standing in the back. He looked interested but he just stood there. He didn't even take his seat. “What a rebel” Nora thought. She was getting wary of him since he seemed to be in her every class. For the next few weeks, she watched him carefully but he never seemed to notice her. In fact none of the others seemed to notice him. He never got called on he was never given any homework. It was as if no one could see him. Nora didn't get that. She could see him fine. One day at the end of her last class she went up to him and asked him.
“Hey! You! How is it that you are just as strange looking as I am but you never get called on or given any homework?” she asked. He just turned to her with a surprised expression. “I get called on all the time and you are no more normal looking then I am. You have white hair for goodness sake!”
He blinked his icy blue eyes. “You… can… can you see me?” he asked a bit exited.
“Duh!” she said. “What kind of question is that?!”
“You can hear me too?” he asked
“Are you stupid or something kid? I mean I’m not deaf. I have ears that are as big as a tree branch. Of course I can hear you” she was getting frustrated.
“That’s awesome!” the boy explained.
Just then ‘king’ and ‘queen’ of the school came up. They were the most popular and rude people in the school. “Why are you talking to yourself elf girl?” the ‘queen’ asked in a snooty tone.
“What!?” Nora shouted. “He’s right in front of you!” she gestured to the white haired boy.
The boy went over to the ‘queen’ and just phased right though her. “They can’t see me” he said. The ‘queen’ shivered. “See! She gives me the creeps” the others laughed.
Nora dropped her books. “G… Ghost? But… but… they exist here?”
“You see ghosts?” the ‘king’ asked. “That’s weird”
“You’re so creepy!” the 'queen' exclaimed in an over exaggerated cry. The group stated to laugh.
“You have elf ears and you see spirits” the ‘king’ said. “You must be a witch!”
Nora shank back. “I am no witch. I am an Elven”
“Whatever” the ‘queen’ said and the group of snotty teenagers walked off. Nora sighed.
“What’s an Elven?” the boy asked.
“We are from the stars” Nora said and ran off. “I don’t get it!” she thought “Am I going crazy?”
The boy looked at the fallen school supplies and laughed with joy. On the cover of Nora’s folder was a name written in Sharpie. It read 'Jack Frost', Underneath 'does he really exist?' was written.
“Looks like she believes” the boy smiled with joy. He picked up the stuff and followed Nora. When he found her, she was in the small forest that was on the outskirts of the neighborhood. Next to her was a large white lion. It had to be as big a polar bear and just as white. The loin was Nora’s pet she had saved from her homeland. He was also the last of his kind. Her hat had disappeared and her Elven identify shown through her hood.
There they were. Long elf-like ears that were a slight pink from the cold. The boy came over and Nora looked at his with some curiosity, some fear, and even some anger. “Why is it that only I can see you?”
“Because you believe” the boy said, holding up the folder with 'Jack Frost' on it. “It’s not just you. Sometimes, kids can see me too. They believe in me so they can see me and it looks like you can too” He laughed.
“You’re… you’re real?” Nora asked. “But the humans say you are a myth” She clasped a hand over her mouth. “Oops”
“Humans? Aren't you human too?” Jack asked
“No. I am an Elven. A race that is from the stars. I am not an elf. I don’t make toys and sing.” Nora said
Jack burst out laughing. “The big man’s helpers don’t sing or make toys like the popular belief. They’re as dumb as ice cube!”
“Are you telling me that all the human myths are real?” Nora asked. “The one in red that leaves playthings in people’s trees? The bunny who lays eggs, the woman who steals teeth and the one that puts people to sleep?”
Jack started to laugh again. “I've never heard them described like that and Bunny doesn't lay eggs. Tooth Fairy collects teeth, she doesn't steal them”
“Oh… sorry” Nora said
“Doesn't matter. So you’re from space huh?” Jack asked
Nora nodded. “I am Noruinivel but my human name is Nora. It is much easier to say.”
“I won’t even try to pronounce that” Jack said. “It’s nice to meet you Nora. I’m Jack Frost. Bringer of fun and the winter snow!” He leaped up and landed behind her. “See?” he said and toughed his staff to a small puddle. It made a cracking sound and froze into ice.
“Magic?” Nora asked
“Maybe” Jack said. “I think it’s fun”
Nora smiled. “That’s so cool!”
“Ya know Nora. Your pet looks a lot like one of earth’s lions” Jack said touching the beast’s nose. It sneezed from the cold touch of the boy.
“Lions?” Nora giggled. “Lion…” she turned to her pet. “Your name is now Lion my friend!” she hugged it.
Jack laughed at the simplicity of Nora. “You have a lot to learn. I can show you” he offered her his hand.
She took it and pulled back a little. “You are cold”
“Yeah…” Jack said.
“I love the cold” Nora said and took Jack’s hand again. He laughed.
They spent the day just messing around and when it was time for Nora to go home Jack smiled and placed a kiss on her cheek. “We should do this again sometime” He laughed and flew away.
Nora was surprised at the gesture but smiled and laughed any way. “Bye Jack!” she waved.