Jack Frost in the World of Elven

2

“Father I have had the most wonderful day today!” Nora exclaimed as she came home. Her father was pleasantly surprised. Nora usually came home looking tired and distraught.
“What do you mean Noruinivel?” He asked.
“I have met someone who is quite… what is the word? He is…” she paused to think. “Extraordinary? No…” she thought harder. “Oh! He is fun! Father he is fun!”
“A human male who is fun?” He father asked. “Is he in your school?”
“Sometimes he likes to listen to the teachers but he usually goes and brings winter to the kids!” Nora said. She didn’t even think that was strange.
“There are winter bringers in this land?” He asked
“Yes father. He is the only one but he is fun!” she laughed.
Nora’s father laughed a bit. “I have missed that laugh Noruinivel. I am glad to see that you are happy”
“I am very happy father… he is… a friend” Nora said and hugs her father. Then she goes to her room to tell her brother Chiron. The hug was unexpected but her father embraced Nora anyway and smiled as he saw her leave.
Nora still went to school and excelled in her classes. She spent time with Jack Frost on the weekends and before she knew it, Christmas had come and gone. It was early March when Jack told her that he had to leave.
“Why?” she asked in a sad tone. She had come to realize that she liked this winter bringer. She already liked the cold and snow since it was the only time that Lion was awake. The rest of the year the beast went into hibernation. She wanted Jack to stay but he couldn’t.
“I’m a Guardian, Nora” He said. “I have to bring winter to other places. If I don’t the people will stop believing.”
“You’ll come back right?” Nora asked
Jack kissed her on the cheek. “You know I will.” He flew off and Nora waved good bye. Her father was watching with a worried face. He couldn’t see Jack and thought his daughter was creating a vision out of loneliness. When Nora came back inside her father addressed this to her.
“He is real, Father. You just cannot see him because you don’t believe in him” Nora pleaded.
Her father sighed and looked his daughter in the eye. “I am worried for you Noruinivel. Does Chiron see this boy you call your friend?”
“Yes he does. My brother can… oh.” She realized that Chiron could not see. He could only hear. “My brother can hear him though!”
Nora brought her brother to their father. “Tell him Chiron. Tell him you have heard Jack.”
Chiron nodded, he could not lie. “I have heard this boy. But he is not like the humans that walk this earth. I have felt his hands and they are cold as ice. When he was around it seemed as if things got colder. He is a winter bringer, Father. I have not seen his face but he is as real as far as I know”
Nora’s father nodded. He believed his son but still did not like that an invisible boy was friends with his daughter.
During the summer, Nora graduated from her school and was scheduled take one more, short, online semester until she grew her marks. Nora missed Jack and often spoke with Chiron about it. He told his sister that the winter bringer was immortal and she was not.
“He could still be a friend, but remember that Sister.” He warned.
Nora nodded. “I know. He is only a friend, Brother. Nothing more.” Nora sighed. She wanted it to be more but she that could never be. When winter hit again Nora woke Lion and she went to the small lake in the forest. Looking into the still water she saw that her marks had grown in. She was a full adult now in Elven years, but in human year she was only 16. The pale, salmon colored marks were around her eyes stretching from her hair line to the center of her cheeks, one on each side of her face. She jumped as the lake froze. In the reflection of the ice she could see herself but no one else. She was disappointed until she felt a cold touch on her shoulder.
Jack!” she cried and gave the un-expecting winter bringer a hug. “I’ve missed you”