Animal Magnetism

Into the wilderness

These powers as some call it are also known as a curse or a gift, but I call it what one man called it years ago: evolution. Darwin's probably rolling in his grave right now. What Im talking about is a mutation in genes that allow a power or powers to inhabit its host. This appears during teenage years or heightened emotional states. Humans these days refuse to accept this, well some of them anyway.

They see it as a deviance and call people like us freaks or mutants. For years some of us could live normal lives hiding our differences from the world, while others run away in fear of rejection. Some are given the cure, thrown in jail and the lucky ones go to Xavier's school for gifted youngsters. Then there are the other mutants who are the poor few who's mutation comes in a physical form such as blue skin, fur, a tail or even a forked tongue.

I guess this is where my story begins the cat girl who lives in the wild Canadian forest with her best friend and cousin Kayla. I've learned not to get that girl angry since the last guy who did so got blown away, literally. That's kind of why we ran away, that and the fact that I began to lose control of my tail sometimes, but with lots of training I have been able to hide it and bring it out when I want. The one weird thing is a few years ago I was captured and had a metal called adimantium laced in my bones.

Somehow I managed to remember the pain and everything I went through and found out there are more mutants out there like me. So the thing is we managed to find an abandoned cabin in the woods. Thanks to my being able to change into other animals. we've been getting food to feed our hunger. We lived in this place for the past five years living off of nature's bounty. Who knew that one-day we would be meeting someone who would change our lives forever.

"Kayla I'm going hunting."

"Alright go ahead I'll just be here reading my book."

"Ok then if you need me you know how to reach me," I said as I walked out the door and quickly turned into a mountain lion.

I sniffed the air and caught the scent of a deer; I stalked off towards the scent. As I crouched behind some bushes I began to get ready to pounce. At that moment I felt as though the hunter was being hunted. I brushed it off since I knew there was probably another animal watching me. The forest was silent as the deer ate quietly it was then I took I pounced taking the deer down.

Once I had killed it I went back to my human form and began to pick up the deer. That's when I felt a man's presence I knew he was mutant and his code name was wolverine, and with a name like that I didn't like it. I knew I could trust him but just in case I let out a low growl. He stepped closer to me as I began to walk away. It wasn't until he was a few feet away from me that I drew my knuckle claws.

"Step any closer and you're a dead man," I said through gritted teeth.

"For one thing I don't want to hurt you, and another where did you get those?" Said this Wolverine character.

I smirked I knew his bones were laced with metal the same metal as mine, "the same place you got yours Logan."

His gruff features softened fro a split second, and then he furrowed his brows.

"How'd you know my name?"

"For one I can read your mind, I can also tell certain things about people I want. Plus I remember everything from those days in Stryker's lab. I remember them talking about you when I escaped I found your file and got out of there. I hear he's dead now."

He nodded his head and at that moment I knew it was he who killed Stryker.

"Now if you don't mind could you help me with this deer?" I said with a littler anger in my voice.

What could I say I'm part cat and he's part wolf those are two animals that don't really get along. After we gutted it I grabbed its antlers; I then looked at Logan and held out my hand.

"Are you coming or not?" He hesitated before grabbing it.

"I'm pretty sure you already know what I do since the man who sent you here would've told you."

He looked at me somewhat in shock but remembered what I could do. We then teleported to outside the cabin. He grabbed the deer and started to skin it.

"I kind of thought you'd do that so I might as well ask you to stay for something to eat. Why not spend the night, these woods get dangerous at night."

He looked at me half-mad.

"Don't worry about me kid I can take care of myself."

When he called me kid that's when I snapped. I picked him up off the ground by his metal and threw him against a tree. This caused Kayla to rush out and see what was going on.

"That's what you get for calling me kid, I'm 25. And if you call me that again I swear I'll call you something ten times worse."

Kayla just stood there confused, "who's he?"

"He has something to explain to us, and if he doesn't want what Creed got he'll play nice."

He walked back glaring at me and healing in the process. I grew my teeth out and glared back I allowed my fingernails to turn to claws. He may have been slightly taller then me but I will not be taken down easily. He cracked his neck and we went inside. It was silent while we were eating, well on the outside it was silent. Kayla and I were actually talking using our minds.

'So can we trust him Sam?'

'Yes Kayla we can, Xavier sent him,' she nodded her head.

Xavier came to us when we found out about our little gift he invited us to go to his school but we said that we'd rather stay on our own. He always said if we wanted as place to stay we could come to his school. After we finished eating and cleaned up we sat back at the table.

"So you mentioned Creed earlier, you meant Sabretooth right?" Said Logan.

"Yes I did, and he deserved what he got."

"Sam taught him never to touch a girl unless she wants to be touched." Logan looked a little shocked. "You can read minds too."

'That I can.'

He looked a little confused which caused me to smirk; he did look rather good looking. I decided to ask him why he was sent here.

"So why has Xavier sent one of his x men to get us?"

"He feels you two are in danger if you stay here any longer. If you come with me we can get on the jet and leave."

I nodded my head yes I knew he was telling the truth. I then turned to Kayla as if to confirm it and she too nodded her head in agreement.

"We'll leave tomorrow Logan its getting late, I'm pretty sure your friends won't mind."