Status: Comments welcome

Crossing Awornus

Awornus

No one had ever crossed the beautiful, deep sea of Awornus and returned the same. Once someone crossed the sea, they came back with radical ideas and found unquestioning obedience to anyone impossible. No one Ellie knew would have the courage to reach her on the other side of the sea. Even her lady-chaperone refused to take this journey with her. Ellie was on her own. She wanted nothing more than to please her father and find a prince to live happily ever after with, so the strange, forbidden journey must be worth the risk. If she couldn’t find a prince in the conventional kingdoms, Ellie thought she’d better find one her own way. It didn’t hurt that she was desperate to try the last kingdom she knew of which could even possibly provide her with a pairing suitable for her. Besides, how bad could the sea really be after all? It was just water.
The princess got in her royal boat and started on her way. For what seemed like the first time in her life, the princess felt safe. "I don't know why," thought her royal ice-ness, "but all of a sudden I feel as though a giant burden has been lifted off my shoulders, as if I can truly be myself for the first time." It seemed strange to her that she had never felt this way before, because after all castles are a pretty nice place to grow up in. "I wonder why my father is so afraid allow anyone to travel across the Awornus," she thought, "This sea seems so peaceful to me."
As she sailed across the sea the sun beat down her in the most pleasant of ways, Ellie's heart began to glisten as a few drops of the slowly melting ice surrounding her heart trickled into the sea. She didn't realize what was happening. Ellie merely felt more and more of a freedom she never knew she lacked. She laughed as a light breeze tousled her once perfect hair, forcing her to let it out of its perfect bobby-pin cage. With each pin she removed, a tendril of hair cascaded delicately onto her shoulders before being taken once again by the breeze. Suddenly, Ellie realized that she no longer felt like a princess, but rather felt like she was truly herself.