Flames of the Spirit

Nova

Aidan was slowly falling asleep in class and his teacher came over. She slap his elbow with her ruler, demanding him to wake. He cried out and sat up, holding his sore elbow in his hand. The other kids laughed and Aidan pouted. Being a Bender, he was picked on and given a harder time than the others. After class he was given a note. Notes were the farthest from good a kid could get. He had to give it to his parents. As he walked home, gloomily, he saw a girl dancing in the street with a hat at her feet. There were a few coins in it. Aidan realized she was poor, dancing for money. She was only as old as he was, 12 at the oldest. He tilted his head and walked over as she finished her dance.
"What's your name?" Aidan asked.
"I'm Kyra" the girl said.
"I loved your dance" Aidan said. "Where'd you learn that?"
"My momma taught me before she died" The girl said. He head fell. "She got sick"
Aidan felt bad for asking and fumbled in his pocket. "Here" He took out a coin and placed it in Kyra's hand. "I have to go now. But I hope that helps"
"Thank you" the girl chirped. "Have a nice day!"
Aidan walked home and when he got there, his parents scolded him. The letter said that he was lazy and fell asleep in class a lot so Aidan was grounded. His older brother laughed at him and called him a loser which got Aidan's older sister mad.
"Derek be nice you pig headed toad!"
Derek stuck out is tongue.
"What are you 5?!" Adelle yelled.
"What are you, Mom?" Derek shot back. That got him scolded by the parents. "Whatever, I'm going out" He walked out and wave his hand casually.
Adelle smiled at her little brother. "Don't worry, Deartháir Derek's just being a jerk. His girlfriend dumped him last week"
Aidan stuck out his tongue. "So what? Girls are stupid anyway"
"I resent that comment" Adelle put her hands on her hips.
"Room, now" Aidan's mother scolded.
Aidan hung his head. "Yes, ma'am"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I saw a girl today" Aidan said.
"there's girl's everywhere Aidan" Adelle said as she tucked her little brother in.
"no, she was my age and she was dancing for money in a hat." Aidan sat up. "Her name was Kyra."
"Pretty name" Adelle said.
"She was pretty too" Aidan said.
"I thought you said girls were stupid" Adelle remarked.
"Well... um..." Aidan folded his arms. "I take it back."
"So an 11 year old was dancing for money." Adelle pondered. "Was she a Siren like me?"
Aidan shook his head. "She wasn't singing. She was dancing near a musician. He was playing a flute for money and she danced to it."
"Was it her father?"
"I didn't ask." Aidan said "But she said her Mom was dead. I felt bad for her so I gave her my coin"
"The coin that Father gave you?" Adelle asked. "For the cigar?"
Aidan looked at the floor. "Maybe..."
"Aidan" Adelle sighed. "Well, I'll have to make that up you know"
"I'm sorry" Aidan said. "She just looked really... lonely. If I see her again tomorrow, can I talk to her?"
"I'll come with you tomorrow ok?" Adelle said. "just so no one takes you."
"Mk" Aidan said. "good night deirfiúr"
"Goodnight Deartháir"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aidan woke up in flames and he rolled out of bed. The house was burning and he could hear screams from downstairs. He raced for them and saw his sister, Adelle yelling at their older brother, Derek.
"Derek! you have to control it!" she screamed. "Please! Look what you did!" She was crying; Aidan soon realized why. Both of their parents had been burned by Derek, who was now a Nova. He started to cry. "Sister!"
Derek turned to his brother and horrid psychotic grin curled upon his face. He raised his hand towards Aidan and shot a burst of fire at the 11 year-old. Aidan screamed in pain and Adelle screamed in horror.
Aidan was left crying, 1/2 of his face scarred for life. Derek had been run out of town for being a Nova and was now open for any hunters to be brought down and killed.
Aidan was barely able to be healed and left with a nasty scar that he hid from the world. By age 15, he and Adelle were living on the streets. Adelle sang for money while Aidan did odd jobs. They had nothing left.