Flames of the Spirit

Warp

""I can't take it anymore!" Aidan shouted. "Being show of like freaks!" He hit the side of a barn, setting it aflame.
"It's all we have, Aidan." Adelle sighed.
"Well, I'm sick of it! 18 months of parading around so people can gawk at us!"
"Maybe it because you never dace" Kyra said. "I bet you're good at it"
"I'm not going out there!" Aidan yelled. "never! I won't act like fool for coins!" Kyra shrunk back at his words and Aidan soon regretted them.
"well at least I'm not a coward hiding his face" Kyra said and turned away from him
"Kyra..." Aidan let his head fall.
"that's exactly what he is! A coward!" A cynical laugh rang out through the darkness. Adelle stumbled back in fear. "You should be dead!"
"I should huh? Well I guess I'm like the healer then. But I'll be using my new power to rule. Those who are burned deserve to be so!" Derek came out, green as ever. The classic Nova's coloring. It fitted him well. An evil color for an evil man. The flames dance around his form. No longer a man at all. He was bare boned; a skeleton. His soul was already gone with the Nova. There was no Derek anymore. All that remained was the green flames of a monster.
"I have a new power too" Nova grinned. "I can make people burn!" He shot his fire forward and Aidan erupted his own flames to defend. However a Bender was powerless against a Nova. Some legends say that Blues were the only ones that could defend against these soulless creatures. Kyra didn't think about it, she just raced forward to defend her best friend. She summoned all the fire she could and shot it at Nova he cried in pain and tumbled back.
Aidan stared at Kyra even more in awe of her. What other secrets did this Blue have? She cursed at him in their language and hit him again. he blasted a ball of green fire at her and fell back on top of Aidan just as he was getting up. He looked up and rolled over, taking Kyra with him, to avoid a hit from Nova again.
"Aw, look at the lovers" Nova chirped. "I'll have fun tearing out their hearts!"
Kyra was already up and Aidan leaped up and faced the thing that once was his brother. "You are a monster."
"I'm amazing!" Nova said with what might be called a joker grin. The way a Nova's mouth moved what unnatural and just down right creepy. They could smile, but it was the kind of smile that could make your blood curdle.
Aidan cursed at him and hit him hard but the Bender had no effect. He was kicked aside, his hands burned.
"AIDAN!" Kyra yelled. She screamed at Nova and drew every last bit of fire she had. Adelle raced forward to stop her but it was too late. Kyra let all of her fury out on Nova and the monster counter attacked. It created a large flash of light and the 4 vanished. The land was devastated. The whole square mile looked like an atom bomb got dropped on it. There was no trace of life anywhere to be found.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aidan felt himself falling. He could hear wind rushing past his ears. The Bender couldn't move; it was if he was paralyzed all he could move was his head. Around him was a pale white light and past that was darkness. Aidan though he could see stars but it could have been the speckles of white against the dark. He was alone. Adelle, Kyra, even the Nova where nowhere to bee seen. Aidan kept falling but the feeling changed. In stead of the dread of falling he was floating. Kind of like when one floats in water. So Aidan made the conclusion, that he dead. This was the end. The Nova had won. At least Aidan could see his parents now. Once this odd feeling was over, Aidan figured he'd go to heaven. So he closed his eyes, waiting for this this end.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kyra groaned as she rolled over onto all fours. She was dizzy, sore all over, and lost. Around her was all fog, beneath her was green grass. "Am I dead?" she rose to her feet.
"I'd say your not."
Kyra turned and saw Adelle the fog, making her look like a phantom. "but, you're a ghost"
"It's the fog, deirfiúr" Adelle said. "Where is Aidan?"
"I want to find him" Kyra said. "I hope he's not with the Nova"
"Me, too" Adelle said. "Me too"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aidan took a deep breath; the air was rich and moist. It felt like home but it was far from it. There was grass beneath his feet and the air was fresh instead of stained with the stench of post wardom. "I must be dead if this air is so clean" He tried his fire and it worked. I was faint since the air was so wet but it still gave some light. He saw a yellow light in the distance and figured it would be best to see what it was.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Adelle saw a golden light and suggested that they head there. "Suppose we are dead, it could be God's castle or something"
"And maybe that's the leader of other dead guys" Kyra said gesturing to an orange glow that was going towards the light.
Adelle started at it, trying to peep through the fog. "That's Aidan! It has to be!" She ran for it and collided with the owner. The collision was accidental but the hug on the ground was totally on purpose. "Deartháir! You're alive! Or we're all dead! but it's you!"
Aidan blinked up at his older sister that seemed to be way too overjoyed to see him. "Nice to see you too deirfiúr"
"So are we all dead?" Kyra asked as she walked up.
"Perhaps" Aidan said getting to his feet. "That would kinda suck but there is better air here." he laughed. "And we're dead, and say the Nova is dead, there is no way we end all end up in the same place."
"Dead for the light?" Adelle offers.
Aidan shrugs. "There's nothing else to do." When they got there, the noticed it was a lamp.
"How does the flame inside no go out if it's covered?" Adelle asked. The science nerd was fascinated by it.
"This looks like some kind of scorched rock" Aidan crouched down at the ground. "What are those gold lines"
"Do they lead some where?" Kyra asked. She walked into the middle of the blackened earth. "Maybe it's moss"
"But to grow right in the middle? In a straight line?" Aidan asked. "Not possible"
Adelle was to involved with finding out how the lamped worked. "How do you get to the flame? If I take off the top, I might be able to" She yelped and fell back on her but.
"Adelle!" Aidan ran over. "What'd you do?"
"I got burned." Adelle said. "Just a little bit. I'm ok, my hand just hurts"
Aidan took her hands in his and looked over them. "I think you'll be alright"
"Aidan, your hands aren't burned either" Kyra said. "they've been healed."
Aidan didn't even notice until now. He looked at his own hands and the burns he got from the Nova weren't there anymore. "There is no possible way that they could be healed like that unless... we really are in heaven"
"I always thought it would be never than this" Kyra said. "Not that I have any problem. It's just... it's different"
"think those are angels?" Adelle pointed up and two lights coming towards them.
"Maybe that's there path" Kyra said leaping off of the black earth. "We probably shouldn't have walked on it."
"Maybe it's the path where the evil go to hell" Aidan said. "We should leave. I don't want to be thought an evil person now that I'm dead."
The angels came up to them and slowed their pace. A large metal machine was behind them and there was a man inside. "You kids lost?" he asked.
"No, we are not" Aidan said grumpily. "we're not going to..."
"Where are we?" Adelle asked before Aidan continued.
"the man gave a name and realized that it didn't help. "Ireland" he said. "If you don't know what country you're in then, you really are lost. We're you kidnapped or something?"
The 3 young adults gave each other a few glances.
"well why don't you kids just come with me. I'm an officer around these parts. We'll find your families and get ya home"
"Sir," Kyra said. "are families are dead. It's just us"
The officer narrowed his eyes. "You kids better come with me"
Aidan stepped in front of Kyra. "We're not going anywhere. We'll just wait out the fog and find our own way"
"First of all, I'm an officer and you're going to do what I tell you. Second, this fog can for weeks and third, technically your trespassing. This is private property"
this made Aidan lose his temper. Fire glowed around his hands. You human will not tell a Bender what to do!"
The officer looked on fear and drove off in a hurry.
"Let's go the opposite way" Aidan said. There should be a town nearby"
"Ok, we're done listening to you" Adelle said. "first of all, that could have been our only chance to get into a town where they have supplies and food. Now you want to go the other way just because that guy had an authorizing tone?"
Aidan pouted. "fine"
They all jumped as they heard a loud roar. It echoed through the fog and Kyra hid behind Aidan. "It's a demon!"
"run!" Aidan shouted and they hauled but don the hill on the other side of the black earth. Kya tripped and landed in water. Lifting her hand to her lips, she tasted salt. "we're near the ocean"
The roar sounded and again and Aidan got ready to attack. "I might not be effective on a Nova but I could tear a demon apart!"
A loud laughed followed the words. "I'm not a demon, lad. I'm a man" A big red haired fisherman walked up. He had a heavy Scottish accent. "I've seen some sights on my ways but nothing such as the likes of you"
"Oh! Cool!" A young Englishman came up behind him. "What are you? How'd you do that? Are you an alien?"
Aidan didn't know how to respond to that. He just turned off his fire and tilted his head. "uh?"
"He's a Bender" Kyra said. "Um... please don't run us off"
"Oh no I won't!" The young man said he walked up. "Fascinating." He started circling Aidan and the girls.
"Alright! Back off!" Aidan lit up again.
"Oh my" the man said in surprise. "Incredible. I don't think your an alien. You look human enough. Since evolution is so different, there's hardly any chance of meeting an extraterrestrial that looks just like us. But you do!"
"we're not aliens" Adelle said. "We come from earth... just. I don't think it's this one. There's no where in our world with this kind of terrain and this rich air" she pondered for a bit. "Ya know, the only ones I know that have this much moister in the air is near the equator"
"Oh we're far from that lassie" the big man said. "we're in Ireland." He set a funny, pride pout upon his face. "Course the only reason I'm here is fish trading."
"Ireland and Scotland don't exactly get along very well." The young man said. "however a lot of the stereotype is false, like the wars the country's participate in. The rivalry is just friendly competition and jest" he circled around the trio like a vulture. "are you the only ones that have this... power?"
"We think maybe a dangerous person came with us" Aidan said. "we call him Nova."
"Nova?" the man asked. "Like a dying star"
"More like a dying person" Aidan said.
"But yes" Adelle chirped up. "That's why we call them Nova. Because they go out with bang.... literally"
"Oh that's not good" the man thought aloud.
"You don't know the 1/2 of it" Aidan said. "They go all crazy start killing anyone they can find. They usually take out their family first and since this Nova has not extinguished his flame yet, he's more dangerous than ever. He's like the ones that take years to burn" Aidan's deep voice made his sentence even more dreadful.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aidan's voice was odd. His mother was a Siren, his father was Bender. Usually a Blue came out of this mix but Derek came first, a Bender, then Adelle came, a Siren. Aidan was supposed to be a Blue but he was wild card. An incident at birth made him a normal Bender and his father was disappointed; the man was never kind to the wild card. When Aidan was young, his voice was higher pitched and kids made fun of it but as soon as Aidan used his flames, his voice dropped. All Bender's voices drop an octave or two when they use their Bending. In old times, the deeper the voice the more likely it could scare of a rival for food or a mate. With the males, the deeper voice attracted more mates. But in the civilized times, it just became an accessory to using Bending. Aidan realized that he could use this accessory to his advantage and there was period of time that he never turned off his fire; it lasted about a year and it deepened his voice permanently. Now it was a deep, strong voice. Not gruff or scratchy but smooth and deep. The kind that. if used with a dreadful sentence, can send a stomach churning. Or if used with a kind sentence can make someone feel safe. The Irish accent just makes it all the better.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Like how many years?" The Englishman asked.
"Some last for 2 at the most. I've heard of some lasting 4 or more" Aidan said. the student still hovered over them trying to get a decent idea of how they came here and what they were. He reached up to look at Aidan's scar and the Bender ninja grabbed hand. "don't"
the man whimpered. "sorry" and took his hand back when Aidan released it.
"Bad move" Adelle said in a hushed tone. "don't stare at it either."
The student nodded quickly still slightly afraid. He stopped hovering in fear that Aidan might choke him next time. Besides, he already got an idea. "Perhaps you are from a parallel dimension. It would explain why you look so human and why this is unrecognizable to you"
"We're not human" Aidan said. "don't call us that. I am Bender, Adelle is a siren, Kyra is a Blue. Calling us human is an insult"
"Look I don't mean to be rude, but we've got to go" the Scotsman said. "come on doctor crazy, leave them be. You're making us all tense with you stupid questions"
Adelle was grinning stupidly. "oh my gosh! Maybe you're right! We could be in another world! My group was always thought there could be a possibility. The creatures that are in our mythology, the reason the Blues vanished when Nova started showing up! People called us crazy but it's true!" She got over exited and took the Kyra by the shoulders, and jumped up and down. "We could have broke the space-time line!"
Kyra took the woman by her shoulders. "Calm down, Adelle. You look like child" She looked at the Englishman. "Thanks a lot. you got her geek-happy."
Aidan rolled his eyes. "good lord, Adelle, must you get this hyper every time you come close to proving the non-existent theories of you geek club?"
The Englishman and Adelle started theorizing and geeking out and Aidan turned to the Scotsman. "Sorry about my sister kidnapping your friend."
"Oh! Aidan!" Adelle said. "They have to leave but can we go with them? We want to speak more!"
Kyra face palmed. "It's not Aidan's decision!"
The Scotsman laughed. "Once a geek always one. You lads have anywhere to hang your hat?"
"It's just us" Kyra said. "If what Adelle and your friend say, is true then... are home is worlds away"
"We're heading to America to sell the rest of the fish we have. Maybe even get a bit more along the way. you're welcome to come if you know how to fish."
"Would it help if we said we're quick learners?" Aidan asked.
The Scotsman just smiled.