Angels and Demons

Dirty Little Secret

Shane smiled down at his little sister. He could believe that she was already a year old. He cringed and laughed at the same time as Ruby reached up and pulled his scruffy black hair.
“NO!”
Shane’s smile disappeared when he heard his dad and Miss Bethany arguing from their room.
“Beth,” His father said. “If people find out that Ruby was born, they’re gonna start talking”
“People talk all the time, Danny.” Miss Bethany said. “Shane can’t hold it in any longer”
“Then I’ll teach him to hold his tongue” Danny enforced.
“Why can’t we say that Ruby’s my child?” Bethany asks.
“Not ‘till Ruby’s 3 years old. It won’t be convincing if we say it any sooner.”
Shane could tell that his father was done with the conversation. He sighed and went to get ready for bed. At 7 years old, Shane didn’t understand why his sister had to be a secret.
“So what if our dad and your mama ain’t married.” He says down to Ruby. “They can take care of us together right?”
The baby simply cooed and reached up to her brother again. He smiles at her then goes to get his pajamas on.
Out of the blue, the baby starts to cry and Shane rushes to her crib, forgetting his shirt. He picked her up and calmed her down.
“Shh, it’s alright, Cherie.” Shane says.
Ruby quiets down and reaches up to Shane again. “A… angel”
Shane grinned from ear to ear. He almost squealed with delight but held it in. He was a ‘man’ and men don’t squeal.
Still carrying Ruby, who was now laughing, Shane knocked on his parents’ door. “Guys, guys!” he cries. “You gotta hear this! Ruby Jo spoke!” He slurred his sister’s name on accident but only because he was excited.
When Beth opened the door, she froze in her tracks.
“What?” Shane asked.
Danny cane to the door and frowned at his son. “Shane” He said sternly.
Shane shamefully looked up at the big Cajun man as he remembered that he was only wearing his pants. “Oops. Sorry, Pa.” Shane realized the he might have just jeopardized the relationship between Danny and Beth. This had happened every time Danny had a girlfriend. They found out Shane’s secret and then ran away, never speaking to Danny again.
“Sorry don’t cut it Shane” Danny says. He sighs and looks at Bethany. “Beth I can explain”
Beth started freaking out. “What’s wrong with him?” she screamed.
“Here we go again” Shane sighs. He’s quieted by a stern look from his father.
Beth continued to yell at Danny. “Why did you keep this from me, Daniel? He’s… he’s… a…”
“Don’t say it, Bethany or I’ll smack you upside the head. My boy ain’t no freak and he ain’t never gonna be one”
“Ow!” Shane cried out as Ruby pulled one of his feathers.
“Angel” The babe said.
Silence filled the hallway and the squabbling adults looked at their child.
“What did she just say?” Beth asked.
“Told ya she could talk” Shane chirped. His voice was muffled because Ruby’s tiny hand was covering his mouth. He pulled away and smiled.
“Angel” Ruby cooed again.
Danny pouted and looked at Beth. “We should have got that on the camera”
“Well go get it!” Beth said and practically pushed Danny down the stairs.
“She might not do it again” Danny complained.
“Oh she will, Pa” Shane confirms. “I think she’s calling me that” He pulled his hair out of the baby’s death grip.
“Shane” Beth said. “I’m sorry I blew up. I just… I wasn’t gonna say that you were a… a freak. I was gonna say an Angel.” She laughed. “But uh… Ruby beat me to it”
“That’s alright Miss Bethany.” Shane said. “You’re taking it better than most of Pa’s old girlfriends”
“Shane” Danny scold. “Uh… Beth, I can explain that too” He had a camera in his hands.
Beth gives a sly smile. “Yeah ok, Mr. I gotta an angel as a kid”
“Shane was born with those wings. His mother died in birth. I still don’t know how he got em.”
“I’m sorry Danny.”
“I’m sorry too, Beth”
“Can we get a picture so I can go to bed?” Shane asks.
Ruby said ‘angel’ again and the happy parents got it on tape. Then they sent Shane off to bed and Danny took Ruby back to her crib.
“Shane?”
“Yes Miss Bethany?” Shane asked.
“Call me Beth from now on ok?”
“Alright Miss Beth.” Shane smiles and heads to bed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 years later, Beth and Danny were finally married. At 9 years old, Shane understood why Ruby had to be a secret. Being 3 years out of wedlock was a dirty little secret.
Shane walked his sister down the aisle. She was the flower girl and he was the ring bearer. Ruby ended up falling asleep on Shane’s lap during the ceremony but when the reception started, she was running around, all hopped up on cake and various other food items.
“SHANE!’ Ruby called and collided with her older brother.
“What is it little sister?” Shane asks and crouched down.
“That doggy chasing me!” Ruby whined and pointed to a bloodhound puppy.
Shane erupted in laughter. “Well that mutt’s just a pup, Cherie”
“You’re mean” Ruby said. “Don’t laugh at me” She folded her arms and tried to look mad, which only made her look cute.
“No I’m not Ruby Jo.” Shane said. He still slurred his sister’s name by not pausing between the two names.
“It’s Ruby!” Ruby shouted. “Ruby, Jo!”
“Ok, ok” Shane held up his hands. “I’ll get it right someday”
Ruby just stuck out her tongue.
“Het kids” Said one of the guests. “It’s time for the dances”
“YAY!” Ruby called. She got to dance with Danny while Shane hid in the sidelines. He didn’t participate in the dance for a mother and son since he still didn’t consider Beth a mom.
By the time the party ended, Shane and Ruby were long since asleep on the couch. A few friends stopped to talk to the new couple before they left.
“I can’t believe we’ve been here since noon”
“Well the wedding started a little late” Danny confessed.
“Well if you hadn’t been so nervous we might have started earlier” a friend teased.
Danny blushed.
“Oh leave him alone” said Beth playfully hitting the accuser.
“So Bethany” one of her friends said. “Shane and Ruby are awfully familiar to be step-siblings.”
For a moment, time stood still.
“Um… Ruby’s father left before she got to know him. So Shane stepped in and took her under his wing. Theoretically.” Beth laughed nervously. “That would be crazy if he had real wings”
“Hmm, I see. Just, close then? How long have you two dated again?”
“For about two years” Danny lied. “So Shane’s help to take care of Ruby.”
There was no way the couple would tell anyone that Shane and Ruby were actually ½ siblings. In this town, anyone like Ruby would be called a love child and looked down upon. The people here were cruel when it came to outsiders and people that had different backgrounds.
As night fell, the family drove home. Danny took in the pup that was bothering Ruby. It was a gift from one of Danny’s close friends. Shane named the pup Duke, the very next day and Ruby bonded with it immediately. She turned out to be a big pet person.