Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Eleven

Loki stood on the balcony of the throne room, looking out over the kingdom. The sky was the bluest of blues and the twin suns shone brightly above. The city and all of its many buildings glimmered in the light. He suddenly felt a sense of dread and turned his gaze to the Bifrost.

OoOoOo

Seren had the gas pedal pressed to the floor. A million thoughts were running through her head. She only prayed that she want to late. She inhaled deeply on her cigarette, her eyes scanning the landscape for any sign of Puente Antigua.

The clouds began to darken. She glanced out the window, relieved that she'd just passed the city limits. Her cell phone startled her and she dug blindly through her purse for it. "Hello?"

"Hey it's Cody."

He cheeks puffed up as she exhaled. "Now isn't really a good time, can I call you later?"

"No. This is all I have to say. I've loved you since we were kids. I don't know how serious things are with Jack, but I've been here through everything. I was here when he wasn't."

She felt her chest tighten with pity. "You're right. You were there for me when no one else was. You're my best friend and always will be. It's not fair to you and I'm so sorry but its him. I will always choose him."

The line was silent for a moment but when he spoke up, his voice was sad. "Ok. That's all I needed to know. Bye Seren." She looked down at the call ended screen, feeling less than happy.

A loud explosion shook her car, starting her. She came to a screeching halt. People were running in all directions, screaming and crying. A few buildings were burning. She threw her belt off and jumped out of the car. A giant metal thing was marching through the tiny town.

"Lady run!" Two teenage boys yelled as they passed her.

She took her sun glasses off, unsure of what exactly was happening. Then she saw him. Blonde hair and beard glinting in the sun. He was dressed in normal human clothes. "THOR!"

She immediately ran towards him. He took notice and ran in her direction, followed by three other people. "Seren? What in all the realms are you doing here?"

She ran to him and threw her arms around his neck. "This is Loki! Whatever is happening, it's got something to do with him!" She cried, suddenly feeling frantic.

The woman with black hair poked around from behind the older man. "Is this another one?"

Thor nodded, looking her in the eyes. "I know. Lady Sif has informed me."

"She's here?"

"Aye. She and the warriors three are our only real chance."

Seren's brow furrowed. "What are you talking about?"

"When father banished me, he took my power. All of my power. I am mortal."

The news sent a chill down her spine. Thor was the strongest man she'd ever known. "What's going to happen?"

Thor pressed his lips together tightly. "I do not know. But you must get away from here. I couldn't forgive myself if something happened to you."

Seren swallowed the fear that threatened to choke her. This was unlike the Thor she knew. But this was completely unlike the Loki she knew. "Ok."

"This is my friend Jane Foster, her friend Darcy and doctor Erik Selvig. Stay with them." At that moment there was an explosion that sent Seren flying into a nearby news stand. She heard a loud ringing in her ears and was immediately sent back to the night her grandmother was killed. She covered her ears the ringing became deafening. She rolled onto her side pressing her face to the asphalt as she tried to steady her vision and slow her heart rate. There was fire all around her, she could feel its heat.

"Erik!"

She watched as Jane knelt over her friend, blood staining the older man's shirt. A jagged piece of iron had impaled him through his stomach. Thor gripped the the metal and pulled it out, causing the man to howl in pain.

The sight was gruesome and she squeezed her eyes shut. Loki. This was all because of Loki? The thought made her stomach turn and she rolled over as the contents in her stomach made an encore appearance in the ditch. She began to hyperventilate as her mind raced with thoughts of Loki.

"Seren!" She screamed as someone pulled her to her feet. Thor placed a hand on either side of her face, looking her over quickly. "Are you hurt?"

Seren shook her head. "I don't think so. What about your friend?" She looked over his shoulder and did a double take. Erik was limping towards shelter with Jane.

"He'll live. Go with them and seek shelter." He said.

She nodded. "Be careful Thor. Please."

He gave her a nod and a gentle push in the direction towards Jane and Erik. Seren glanced over her shoulder at him as she ran towards them. They stood by the entrance of an old building at the center of the town. Seren held her ribs, trying to catch her breath.

"Are you alright?" Jane asked.

Seren looked up at her. "I think so." She nodded towards Erik. "What about you?"

He blinked as if he hadn't heard her. "Oh. Yes. Yes I'm fine." He looked down blankly at his blood soaked shirt.

"Are you sure?" She asked Jane. "Is he in shock?"

Jane pursed her lips and nodded, distracted. "No. He's completely healed. I would believe it if I hadn't seen it..." She blinked and looked at Seren. "How do you know Thor? Are you one...of them?"

"Me? Oh no. I'm from Vermont. But I've known them nearly all my life." She said, brushing dirt and debris from her clothes.

"Them?" The black haired girl asked. Seren looked over at her. "I'm Darcy."

"Yea. Thor and his brother Loki-"

"What's he doing?!" Jane asked, stepping forward.

Erik grabbed her arm. "Jane no."

Seren walked to stand next to her, watching with apprehension as Thor walked towards the giant metal monster. She could barely make out his voice. "He's talking to him."

"Who?" Darcy and Jane asked in unison.

Seren almost didn't believe her own words, but it was the only logical explanation. "His brother."

"That thing is his brother?" Darcy asked.

"No. But he's controlling it..." She felt her stomach turn again, and fought back the rising bile in her throat. She exhaled. "Son of a bitch. He's controlling it." She shook her head as her eyes filled with tears.

The giant turned in retreat. Seren dropped her arms to her sides, relief setting in. Suddenly, without warning, the giant spun around and suddenly struck Thor with a sickening crack, sending him flying through the air. Seren shrieked, covering her mouth with her hands.

"NO!" Jane cried. She broke free of Erik's grip and rushed to Thor's side.

Seren took several steps towards him but she could see his body was bloody and twisted. She fell to her knees, sobbing, and squeezed her eyes shut. It was not the way she wanted to remember him. "LOKI WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" She sobbed.

"Jane!" Seren looked up to see Erik dragging her away from Thor's lifeless body.

The ground shook as the giant approached once more.

She felt someone pull her to her feet and looked up. Volstagg looked down at her. "Come lady Seren. Best you distance yourself." She gripped his arm weakly, allowing him to pull her away towards the others.

"What's that noise?" Darcy asked loudly, looking around.

Volstagg shielded Seren as a bolt of lightening struck. There was a deafening thunder clap.

"Oh my God." Jane said.

Seren looked over Volstagg's massive arm and gasped. Clad in his full armor, crimson cape billowing in the wind, Thor stood wielding Mjolnir.

Seren shrieked with joy, but it was short lived as the metal giant slowly got back to its feet. Thor gave them a brief smile as he began to swing Mjolnir, launching himself into the air.

Everyone shielded themselves as the tornado Thor had conjured, began to pelt them with debris. Volstagg shielded Seren once more, but she peered over his arm. The giant was lifted off his feet and into the air. There was a blinding flash of fiery light followed by a deafening explosion. And then all was quiet. Thor landed, unharmed, before them. Jane ran towards him and threw her arms around his neck.

Thor turned to Sif and the warriors three. "We must go to the Bifrost site. I would have words with my brother."

A man in a black suit approached them. "Donald...I don't think you've been completely honest with me."

Seren looked up at Volstagg. "Thank you. For your help."

He smiled down at her. "Think nothing of it, my lady. Are you alright?"

She nodded and patted his arm. "I will be." She walked over to where Thor stood with Jane and the suit. "Excuse me." She looked up at Thor. "You're going home?"

"Yes. I've got to undo whatever damage Loki has done." Thor replied.

"Good. I'm coming too." She said.

Thor shook his head. "Seren, I cannot allow it. I'm unsure of what awaits me once I return. I don't want to risk something happening to you."

"Loki would never hurt me, Thor. You know it and I know it. I'm going with you."

"Seren, no. It's too dangerous."

Seren punched him in the shoulder hard. "Fine! Then I'll go find one of the other hundreds of portals and I'll jump through it. Maybe I land safely, maybe I don't. But one way or another, I'm going to Asgard!" She cried, tears filling her eyes. "He needs me..." She said a bit quieter.

Thor's resolve crumbled and he sighed. "Very well. But you'll have to have Sif and the others bring you there." He turned to Jane. "Would you like to see the bridge we spoke of?"

Jane looked up at him, slightly confused. "Uh, sure." She gasped and smiled as he pulled her close.

"Hold on tight."

Seren watched, slightly irritated, as Thor launched himself and Jane into the air.

"You can ride with me." The man in the suit said. Seren eyed him suspiciously. "You heard him. We're allies. Get in."

Seren opened the door to the car and slid into the front seat.

"Name's Coulson." He said, putting the car in gear.

"I'm-"

"Seren Tremaine. I know."

She bit the inside of her cheek. "How do you-"

"There isn't too much that my people don't know. But don't worry. My orders aren't to bring you in. Yet."

She watched as they pulled of the road, driving over rocky terrain. She was afraid to ask what "yet" meant, or worse, who his organization was. Some questions are better left unasked. He brought the car to a stop and she jumped out, running to where Thor and Jane stood waiting.

An old unimog pulled up and Sif, Fandral, Volstagg, and Hogun emerged.

"So how do you guys speak our language?" Darcy asked, taking Volstagg's hand as he helped her out.

"Ha! Silly girl, you're speaking ours!" Volstagg replied with a chuckle.

They joined Thor at the Bifrost runes. "Heimdall! Open the Bifrost!"

Everyone waited for something to happen, but it didn't. Seren noticed Fandral and Volstagg exchange a worried glance.

"He would open if he could. I fear the worst." Thor said.

Seren squeezed her eyes shut. A lot was happening and much too soon. All she knew was that something was wrong and that it involved Loki. Her heart ached for him, and for understanding. Just before her thoughts drove her to insanity, a bright light exploded from the sky.

Thor pulled Jane to him. "Whatever fate lies before me, you are a part of it."

She responded by wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him. Seren watched, not caring weather she was being creepy or not. She wished she'd been able to kiss Loki in front of people and not be afraid of it. There was a lot they were going to have to work on.

OoOoOo

When they arrived in the observatory, Heimdall was on the floor obviously injured. Seren was horrified.

"Get him to the healing rooms. Leave my brother to me!" Thor said.

Seren trailed behind, ultimately choosing to stay in the observatory. She'd never seen Thor so angry, but she could understand why. It was best to let them work it out, than for her to intervene. No one would appreciate it, and she didn't want to be forced to choose sides. She sought out a tiny nook at the far right of the large dome and sank down to the floor.

OoOoOo

Frigga heard commotion in the corridor just outside Odin's chambers. Immediately she stood at attention, wielding a sword. The doors burst open and to her surprise, two frost giants entered. She charged the smaller of the two, managing to wound him with a large gash to the chest. He fell but the largest one backhanded her, sending her sprawling to the floor.

The blow caused her to become suddenly very disoriented. She lay her head against the cool marble floor, trying desperately to get to her feet. She saw the creature, sitting atop her husband, raise a blade high. Before she could scream, a beam of golden light sent the beast to the floor.

"Your death came by the son of Odin." Loki stood wielding gungnir. He fired once more, completely disintegrating the giant. He turned and Frigga rushed to him.

"I swear to you, mother, they will pay for what they've done today. I will end the Jotun threat, now and forever!" He could hear his heart pounding in his ears, his hands shook slightly with adrenaline. "And I will make you proud." Everything was coming together perfectly. He glared over Frigga's shoulder at the scorch mark where Laufey had died.

"Loki!"

He and Frigga turned. Thor stood in the doorway, taking in the scene before him.

"THOR!" Frigga broke away from Loki and ran to her oldest son.

Loki fought to keep his composure. This was an uncalculated event. He eyed Mjolnir, held tightly in Thor's white-knuckled grip. "Found its way back to you, did it?"  

Thor glowered at him. "No thanks to you."

Frigga looked at both of her sons. "What?"

"Why don't you tell her? How you sent the Destroyer to kill our friends? To kill me?" Thor snapped.

Frigga's eyes widened and she turned to Loki for an explanation.

"It must have been enforcing Father's last command."

"You're a talented liar brother, always have been." Thor replied through gritted teeth.

OoOoOo

There are times when I'm just a shell

When I do not feel anything for anyone


Seren was about to fall asleep when she heard the sound of approaching footsteps. She peered around the corner of her nook. A wild-eyed Loki plunged gungnir into the ignition. The observatory roared to life.

All I feel is hollow and bruised

Used up and misused

Forced to be someone I don't want to be


Seren was going to call out to him, but when he turned to look out towards the rainbow bridge, she could tell he wasn't himself. He didn't even look the same.

Have I failed somehow or some way

Will the weight of today finally pull me down to drown


"Loki!" Thor entered the Observatory, shielding his eyes from the power that the Bifrost was producing.

Loki stared at the brilliant light, entranced. "All these years, and no one's ever dared to use it as a weapon."

In the depths of despair

Where I am alone

Except for my rage


Thor raised Mjolnir into the air into an attempt to shatter the ice encapsulating the controls. Loki fired gungnir, striking Thor and knocking him across the floor. He slowly descended the platform as Thor staggered to his feet. "You can't stop it. The Bifrost will build until it rips Jotunheim apart."

"Loki, you can't kill an entire race!" Thor cried.

My rage

My pain

I hate my darkest days


"Why not?" Loki chuckled ruefully. "What is this newfound love for the Frost Giants? You, who would have killed them all with your bare hands."

Thor's features softened. "I've changed."

Loki glared at him murderously. "So have I." He struck Thor across the face with his staff. "Fight me." He swung gungnir at him, but he dodged it.

My rage

My pain

I hate my darkest days

My darkest days


"Is the throne worth all of this? Is it worth what you will become?!" Thor asked.

"I never wanted the throne! I only wanted to be your equal! Now fight me!" Loki cried.

Thor dodged another attack. "I will not fight you brother!"

Loki frowned. "I'm not your brother. I never was!"

"Loki this is madness!"

Loki grinned. "Is it madness? Is it? IS IT?!"

Seren watched with growing apprehension. This wasn't the Loki she knew and loved.

"I don't know what happened to you on earth that turned you so soft. Don't tell me it was a woman." He gave a maniacal smile when Thor remained silent. "Oh it was? Perhaps when we're finished here I'll pay her a little visit myself!"

That remark ignited fury. Thor and Loki charged at one another, their weapons clashing. Loki released years of pent up rage and jealousy. Thor swung Mjolnir, knocking Loki back. Loki kicked out, knocking Thor onto his back.

Seren couldn't stand it, terrified that they would kill one another. "LOKI STOP!" She ran out of her hiding place, stopping just a few feet from him.

Loki turned to face her. Shock quickly turned to rage. "Get out of here Seren!" He kicked out at Thor but Thor swiped his feet out from under him, landing with a thud on his back. Thor brought Mjolnir down at Loki's head, but Loki parried the attack with gungnir, kicking Thor in the face. Thor stumbled back, just barely having time to block another strike from Loki. He stumbled backwards onto his back. Loki jumped in the air, bringing gungnir's point down in an attempt to impale Thor. Thor rolled away, quickly getting to his feet.

"PLEASE STOP! BOTH OF YOU!" Seren cried. She threw herself onto Loki, trying desperately to pry his hands from his weapon. He wrenched his arm free, knocking her to the floor.

"GET OUT!" He cried, holding his hand out, he sent forth a burst of energy that sent Seren flying out of the observatory onto the rainbow bridge.

She rolled onto her side and pushed herself to her knees, unhurt. She shielded her eyes from the bright glowing light of the Bifrost, catching glimpses of the brothers as they fought. Refusing to watch them kill one another, she scrambled to her feet and mounted Loki's horse. She gave it a swift nudge, holding tightly to the reigns as she neared the gates to the city.

When she got to the palace doors, two guards tried to stop her. "PLEASE! I NEED TO SEE THE QUEEN!"

"And what business could you have with her?" One of the guards asked with a smirk.

Seren wrenched her arms free and managed to get around them, throwing herself through the doors of the throne room. They tackled her to the marble floor, knocking the wind out of her. She took in a deep breath and screamed as they painfully twisted her arms behind her back.

"PLEASE! They're killing each other!" Seren sobbed. "Just send someone to the Bifrost!"

"Shut your mouth!" One of them shouted.

"Sir Oroco! What is the meaning of this?" Frigga stood on the stairs of the throne.

"She was trying to-"

"She is human and poses no threat to me. You will unhand her at once!" She commanded. They did so without a single word. "Return to your posts."

When they were gone, Seren rushed to the queen. "Queen Frigga-Loki and Thor-" she bent at her waist, trying to catch her breath. "They're going to kill each other! We have to stop them!"

Frigga smiled sadly. "My husband is on his way as we speak." There was a loud explosion. "I only pray he isn't to late."

Seren swallowed past the giant lump in her throat, fearing for them both. "Loki..." She whispered. She spun on her heel and ran as fast as she could to the horse. Jumping on his back she pushed him to go as fast add he could. The bridge beneath her shuddered violently. She wrapped her arms around the horse's neck to keep from falling.

She looked ahead and could just make out the observatory as it seemed to spin out of control. There was another violent quake followed by a third and more powerful one, then the brilliant flashing colors stopped. She reached the scene and gasped, hoping of of the horse. Before her, the rainbow bridge was shattered. The Bifrost was no longer there, in its place a black void.

Seren ran to the edge and fell to her knees. Odin was holding onto Thor's foot. Thor was holding onto gungnir, as Loki dangled precariously from the opposite end.

"I could have done it father! For you! For all of us!" Loki cried.

Seren held out her hand. "Loki! Hold on!"

"This is what you wanted! Jotunheim destroyed, a threat no more!" Loki cried.

Odin stared down at his son sadly. "No, Loki."

"PLEASE LOKI HOLD ON!" Seren screamed. "I love you and I'll marry you but you have to hold on!"

Loki stared up at Odin, his face a mix of pain and disbelief. He glanced down and then back up. Thor seemed to sense his plan.

"Loki!" He shouted. "NO!"

Loki met Seren's tear filled eyes, mouthing the words 'i love you.' She watched in slow motion, as Loki released his grip on the staff and plummeted into the void. She felt the breath leave her lungs as she stared in wide-eyed disbelief at where he'd has just been.

Odin pulled Thor up over the edge. Thor collapsed back against his father, in shock. "It's over." Odin replied quietly.

Seren let out a horrific wail, and rolled onto her side. She slammed her hand repeatedly against the bridge until she felt another hand take hold of it. Thor effortlessly lifted her into his arms and with his father next to him, carried her back to the castle.

OoOoOo

Seren walked out of the castle barefoot and clad in a gray and black nightgown. Citizens of Asgard carried on with their daily lives as if nothing had happened. They stared at her as she passed them, some with looks of pity, others with looks of disdain. All were curious. But Seren said nothing as she passed them as if in a trance, tears spilling down her cheeks. The walk on the bridge that she'd frequented as a child seemed to stretch on forever. When she finally arrived at the end, she looked up.

Heimdall stood just before the edge, resting his arms on his massive sword. He turned his golden gaze on her, his face like that of a statue.

"Can I sit?" She asked meekly.

He blinked slowly and gave a slight bow of his head before stepping aside to let her pass.

She walked forward, stopping when she was next to him. She stared out into the void. "How do you know I won't jump?" She whispered.

"Because it isn't who you are." The guardian replied.

Seren said nothing more as silent tears fell from her eyes. She lowered herself to the ground and let her legs dangle from the edge. She wasn't there long before she heard footsteps behind her.

"Heimdall." Thor greeted the golden warrior. "Can you see her?" He asked.

Heimdall turned his gaze out into the stars. "Yes."

"How is she?"

Heimdall's eyes moved as if watching a movie. "She searches for you." he replied.

Thor nodded solemnly. "Thank you." He stepped past him and lowered himself next to Seren. "How are you today?"

Seren didn't look at him. She stared straight ahead, focusing on a cluster of stars. "The same as I was yesterday. And the day before that." She replied hoarsely.

Thor looked out in the direction she stared. "I know this is hard for you. It's hard for all of us."

Seren shook her head slowly. "Your father could have saved him. But he didn't. He chose you instead. Not that I'm not happy, because I love you. But you can fly. Loki couldn't. All he wanted to hear was something positive from him. But Odin couldn't even do that! Who tells their son who is having an emotional breakdown, no? Who does that?!" She cried.

Thor wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "This is the grief talking." He said.

Seren fell against him, crying once more. "You're right...Thor I'm so sorry. I know you loved him."

"I don't think I showed it enough, but he was and will always be a part of me...I only wish I knew what caused him such anger in the end. It was as if he were a different person entirely."

They sat in silence for a moment, Seren crying quietly, Thor trying to find words of solace for her and himself. He rested his chin on her head.

"He asked me to marry him." Seren said quietly.

"He was so proper and every bit the gentleman that I was not. In a way, he was stronger than I was. But he always has a weakness when it came to you. It took a few years for me to realize what I should have known the moment you arrived."

Seren sniffled. "What's that?"

"That he was smitten. The second we pulled you out of Lake Amethyst. He tried to play it off. He could lie about many a thing. But you were not one of them. I would have been honored to call you sister."

Seren tried to smile but her eyes chose otherwise. She hiccuped as more tears flowed. "When does it stop hurting?" She squeaked.

"I imagine it doesn't. You just grow used to the pain." Thor sighed sadly. "Come. You haven't eaten in days. And don't try to tell me otherwise, the servants have told me such." He stood and pulled her to her feet. "Seren." He tilted her chin, forcing her to look up at him. "I know you may not want to. But live.  Loki would want that above all else."

She wiped her eyes and nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments please! Lyrics are from Stabbing Westward's Darkest Days. A song that if you listen to it, should be Loki's anthem, just saying.