Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Twelve

Seren sat staring into a large mirror as a servant put the finishing touches on her gown. There was a loud knock on the door and Thor entered dressed in his armor and a black cape.

"Are you ready?" He asked.

She stood and turned to him. "Yeah."

He held out an emerald colored piece of fabric. "Mother had this made for you." He shook it out. "It was one of Loki's capes. She has a seamstress turn it into a hooded cloak for you since Loki was so much taller than you."

Seren took the soft fabric and held it up to her face. It smelled just like him. She swallowed hard and looked up at him. "Thank you..." She whispered.

He offered his arm and she took it. "I'm here if you need me." He said.

Seren stared ahead as they walked the halls of the castle. "Likewise."

OoOoOo

Thor stood to the right of Odin. Seren stood to the right of Thor. Both stared out at the boat that floated in the wharf at the edge of the city. An empty suit of armor laid on a bed of flowers, where a body should have been.

Thor stared at the armor, tears prickling the corners of his eyes. 'What happened to you, brother?'

Oh, misty eye of the mountain below
Keep careful watch of my brother's soul...


Thor couldn't stop the rush of thoughts that flooded his brain. 'what did I do to make you hate me so?'

If this is to end in fire
Then we should all burn together
Watch the flames climb high into the night...


Words of sentiment were being spoken by different nobles and warriors. None of which ever thought highly of Loki. The thought struck a chord in Thor and he clenched his fists, looking down. Seren reached over and took his hand in hers. He looked up and they met each other's tear filled gaze.

And if we should die tonight
Then we should all die together
Raise a glass of wine for the last time...


Thor gave her a tight lipped smile and brought her hand to his lips, pressing a gentle kiss to her knuckles. Together they walked to the funeral boat and gave it a shove off of the dock. A sob escaped her lips as they rejoined the king and queen. Once the boat had floated out into the wharf, an einherjar let loose a single burning arrow and the boat went up in flames.

Now I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
And I see fire


Odin slammed the butt of gungnir into the ground. Seren watched as the burning boat Brooke apart into glittering bits, scattering into the night sky with the gentle breeze. And then it was gone.

Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze
And I hope that you remember me.


Thor wrapped an arm around Seren's shoulders as the funeral concluded. The people of Asgard lined the streets, bowing their heads as the royal family passed. They entered the castle, settling in the family's private quarters.

Unaware of how she made it into the castle, Seren sat down in a chair next to the fireplace, pulling Loki's cloak tight around her shoulders. Odin and Thor walked to a tray at the opposite side of the room and each poured themselves a glass of ale.

"My dear, are you alright?" Frigga asked, sitting across from her.

Seren slowly looked up at her. "I don't know, honestly. I feel so numb...like this isn't real."

Frigga unclasped her cloak and laid it aside. "It's never easy to lay a loved one to rest. I know how much you meant to him, and how much he meant to you. I hope, that his last moments will not cloud your image of him."

Seren shook her head. "No, never. I don't know what happened to him, but I know how he was when he was with me, and he was always...Loki."

Frigga smiled sadly and looked over to where Odin and Thor stood talking quietly. "A king cannot afford the luxury of showing emotion. My husband loved Loki."

"What happened?" Seren asked.

"What do you mean?" Frigga asked.

"Well, a few days ago, we were all laughing and dancing. And suddenly he's full of a completely different person. I could see it in his eyes that something was wrong."

Frigga's brow creased. "He didn't tell you?"

"Obviously." Seren snapped. She sighed. "I'm sorry...I'm just trying to..."

"Understand." Frigga took a sip of some tea. "Come. Let us take a walk." She stood and linked her arm with Seren's. "You must understand. We loved both of our boys unconditionally. A parent only wants what is best for their child." The two women walked down the hallway, in the direction of  Loki's quarters. "In Loki's case, that meant withholding the truth about his parentage."

Seren's face scrunched up in confusion.

"In all your years visiting with Loki and Thor, did you ever hear stories of the frost giants of Jotunheim?" Frigga pushed open the door and they entered his rooms.

Seren nodded. "They were like ghost stories. Just to scare kids." She looked around at the state of the room. It was a disaster. Glass was shattered on the floor, books and papers were scattered.

Frigga picked up a book from the table next to his bed. "That they were, except the stories were true. The frost giants were a frightful race. They secluded themselves because no other realm wanted anything to do with them. For the most part, the Jotuns kept quiet. But then, they attacked Midgard. There is no record of it as it happened well before your race ever thought to record such events. As protectors of the nine, Asgard intervened. Jotunheim in turn decided to wage war with Asgard. Ultimately, they lost. Odin returned home with the warriors, and a baby."

Seren sat on the edge of Loki's unmade bed. "A baby?"

Frigga nodded. "He was tiny by Jotun standards, but slightly larger than the average Asgardian child. He was the son of the Jotun King, Laufey. Laufey had left him outside in the cold to die. When Odin brought him to me, he was such a beautiful shade of blue, but with a simple spell I was able to give him the appearance of an Asgardian." Frigga sat next to Seren. "I had only just given birth to Thor. I was still bedridden when Odin returned with Loki. It was perfect timing."

Seren was slightly shocked. "You're not his birth mother?" Frigga shook her head. "But how did people not know?"

"It is custom for a pregnant Asgardian woman to lay in during her final month. It gives mother and child time to prepare. Our healers do not view the fetus unless there is cause for concern, which is rare. And the child is not announced until at least two moon cycles. It is considered bad luck. To all of Asgard, it's queen had just given birth to twins. Though I'm sure you know, they are anything but."

Seren shifted on the bed, pulling her knees to her chest. "So why not just tell him?"

"That, I believe is where we made our first mistake. None of us can see the future. We thought we were protecting Loki from a harsh reality. That people can be cruel. Children can be worse. We wanted to raise him as an Asgardian so that he would never know otherwise."

"The ghost stories..." It suddenly clicked in Seren's brain.

"Our second mistake. I imagine that was hardest for him. How would you feel if people told stories about you to scare others? He felt betrayed by his father and I. But I did everything I could to make sure he never felt different. Odin hoped to use him to unite the kingdoms. It was my husband's dream to have one son on the throne of Asgard, and the other on the Jotun throne. Loki is the next in line for the Jotun throne."

Seren sighed quietly. "No wonder he seemed so distant. It's hard enough to find out you're adopted. But this was multiplied to the umpteenth power."

"I know it seems hard to comprehend. But someday you'll have children of your own, and the second you look in their eyes, you will know that you'll do anything for them. I may not have birthed him, but I loved him no less than if I had. He was hurt by our actions, regardless of the intention. What he did, I know his judgement was clouded." She opened the book, and handed Seren a picture. "But one thing that stayed true, was his love for you."

Seren looked down. It was a picture of her the night of her prom. She stood with Kyra and Cody. She felt her eyes burn with tears and she looked up at the queen. "I can't stay here...I have to go home."

Frigga patted her knee. "Rest tonight."

Seren wiped her eyes and laid back on the bed. Frigga pulled the blanket over her. "We will see you off in the morning." She kissed her cheek and quietly shut the door behind her.

There was a rustle of fabric and the sound of footsteps on the balcony. Seren sat up. "Thor?"

Thor ducked in, looking weary. "I'm sorry. Did I wake you?"

She shook her head. "No..." His eyes looked tired and his face was unshaven.

"So, you're leaving tomorrow? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I was on my way here and didn't know you were here."

"It's ok...I think I'm going to go tomorrow. I don't know how though.."

He set Mjolnir down on the bedside table and sat down next to her with a sigh. "Father has his ways." He held out his hand. "I found this when I came here earlier. I recognized it as the necklace Loki had made for you."

Seren smiled and took the necklace. "I thought I'd lost it. Thank you so much."

Thor nodded, looking down at his hands.

"Are you alright?" She asked, rolling on her side. She propped herself up on her elbow.

He turned to look at her and in the moonlight she could see tears shimmering in his eyes. "No, truth be told. I should have been able to catch him. He was a warrior and deserved a warrior's death. Not like he did."

Seren sat up and hugged him, resting her chin on his shoulder. "You did all you could. Don't blame yourself, Thor. That's no way to live. Loki taught me that after my grandmother died."

"You don't have to leave, you know. Asgard could be your home." He said suddenly, wiping at his eyes.

Seren sighed and laid back down. "We both know I can't stay."

Thor laid down next to her. They both stared at the vaulted ceilings. "Regardless of what happened, Loki was my brother, blood or not. He was a good man."

Seren pressed her lips together in a thin line. "I know. And you are a good man. I'm sorry this happened."

"You say you can't stay, but what would you have done once you and Loki wed?" He asked.

"I suppose one of us would have moved. Probably would have been easier for me to move."

"Would you have had children?" Thor asked.

Seren shrugged. "I would have liked to. How would that have worked?"

He looked over at her, an eyebrow raised. "I'm sure I don't have to explain how-"

She swatted at his arm. "No!" She laughed. "I mean between a human and a...frost giant."

Thor shook his head. "It's never happened before, so no one knows."

Seren was silent for a moment. "I think he would have made a good dad..." She said.

"I meant it. The other day on the bridge when I said I would have been honored to call you sister. I will miss you." He turned his head and looked at her.

She reached over and took his hand in hers, giving it a gentle squeeze. "You're the closest thing to a brother that I've ever had. I do love you Thor. You know you can come visit anytime."

He folded his opposite arm under his head and crossed his ankles. "I shall do that. I only spent a few days in your realm, but it has captivated me." He returned his gaze to the ceiling, stroking her knuckles with his thumb.

"I'm sure a certain brunette had nothing to do with that. What's her name again? In all the chaos, I forgot it."

Thor smiled brightly. "Jane Foster. And yes, she is part of the reason." He looked over at her again. "I want you to know, from now on, Earth will be under my protection. Your lives are short, but meaningful."

"How noble of you." She said with a smile.

He chuckled. "I'm serious. From any threat."

She closed her eyes and yawned again. "I'm glad that I know you..." She said quietly.

OoOoOo

Seren woke up in the middle of the night on her stomach. Thor's arm was draped over her head and he snored loudly, sprawled out next to her. She nudged his side with her foot and he rolled onto his side with his back to her. She lifted her head and looked over at him. He was still clad in his armor. With a tired sigh, she burrowed back under the blankets and fell asleep once more.

OoOoOo

Loki opened his eyes as the door opened. The cloaked figure loomed over him.

"Are you ready to continue?" He hissed.

He pushed himself to his knees and wiped the dried blood from his mouth. "Do your worst."

The Other chuckled. "There are fates worse than death. You asked for power, Thanos can grant it. But all things come with a price." He held out a tiny vial of purple liquid. "Time for your medicine little Prince."

Loki frowned. "He can have what he wants, but my mind is mine to keep."

"Consider it insurance."

Loki narrowed his eyes. "I'm not particularly thirsty."

The Other knelt down before him. "Don't be ungrateful. When we found you, you were next to death. A whimpering welp. We could have left you for dead, but Thanos saw potential and showed you mercy."

"It wouldn't be the first time someone left me four dead. And you call this mercy? Being chained to a wall in this dungeon and beaten daily. Clearly we have different opinions on the definition of mercy." Loki spat.

He could see the Other's sharpened teeth as he smiled beneath his cloak. "Before it can be fixed, it must first be broken. Tell me, what is it that you want most?"

"My throne. And revenge against those who stole it from me."

It smiled, satisfied with his answer. "Drink and you shall have your revenge."

Loki reached out with a chained wrist and plucked the vial from his scaly, six-fingered hand. "Cheers." He said before tipping the vial back and completely draining its contents. He tilted his head back as the euphoria washed over him like a wave.

"I'll return later, and we can further discuss your "revenge"." The Other slammed the door leaving Loki lying, chained to the cold stone floor, unaware of the damage the elixir was slowly causing.

OoOoOo

Seren unlocked the door to her apartment and dropped her keys and duffle bag on the couch.

It was only one hour ago
It was all so different then.
Nothing yet has really sunk in...


She felt as though her body were weighed down with lead weights as she trudged through the living room to her bedroom. She flicked on the lamp and looked around. The room was just as she'd left it five days earlier. The last night she was with Loki. She sucked in a shaky breath and ran her hands over the sheets.

Looks like it always did...
This flesh and bone.
It's just the way that you would tied in
Now there's no-one home.


She sat down in front of her vanity and stared at her reflection, searching for any sign of Loki's green eyes. Any sign of something in her room that didn't belong in this realm, but she found nothing. Her face was pale and her eyes had dark circles under them from lack of sleep. Oddly enough, last night in Loki's bed was the best sleep she'd had.

"Loki..." She whispered, searching the mirror. "I...can't believe any of this..." She pushed away from the vanity and walked to the balcony doors, staring out into the night. "I don't feel like you're dead..." She whispered.

I grieve for you....you leave me...
So hard to move on, still loving what's gone
they say life carries on...
carries on and on and on and on


She spread his cloak out on the bed and curled up into a tiny ball on it. She squeezed her eyes shut, but the tears couldn't be held back.

OoOoOo

For days Loki endured beatings and torture at the hands of his captors. His armor had been stripped away after the first day. The black tunic he now wore, was in tatters. But each day endured, brought more of the addicting elixir and each night brought dreams and visions of Seren. He knew he would get her and his throne back.

The dungeon door creaked open and the Other once more entered. Loki, battered and bruised,  pushed himself up to his knees once more, holding his head high.

"Today is your lucky day little Prince." He said.

Loki said nothing as he stared up at him with scorn. The Other grabbed the chains and yanked him to his feet. "Thanos requests an audience."

"Does he now?" Loki sneered.

The Other said nothing as he exited the dungeon, pulling Loki behind him like a dog. They walked down a labyrinth of dark halls, lit by flickering candles. The hallway opened up into a large, dome shaped room. Windows from the floor to the ceiling replaced the walls, allowing for a broad view of the dark wasteland of a planet. A chair sat on a platform that was several stories high.

"Loki Odinson."

"That's not my name." Loki spat. The remark earned him a vicious blow across his face by the Other.

"You will learn your place!" He growled.

"And you will know yours!" Thanos bellowed from his throne. The Other bowed his head and shrunk back.

"You will forgive him. He is a loyal dog, if nothing else." The throne rotated so that Thanos was looking down at the pair. He was a large being with a strong chin and cold, red eyes. His skin was a dark shade of purple and he wore golden armor. "What is your name?"

Loki wiped the blood from his mouth with the back of his hand, smirking at the Other. "I'm the bastard son of the king of Jotunheim. Laufey."

"Tell me, Loki Laufeyson, what is it you want most?" Thanos asked.

"My birthright. To be a king."

"I'm inclined to give you a throne. But first, what knowledge have you of the tesseract?"

"It is a thing of great power. It is said it can be used to teleport from one location to the other in seconds. Some say it had the ability to control the mind. It was a story I was told as a child." Loki replied.

"It used to be kept on Asgard." Thanos said.

"Odin hid it centuries ago. No one knows where it is." Loki said.

Thanos' lips curled into a menacing smile. "A source has told me that it has been located on earth."

"It makes sense. The humans are a weak, ignorant race. They would never know what to do with it if they found it."

"I will grant you an army unlike any you've ever seen and you can take earth as your throne. On the condition that you find the Tesseract and deliver it to me."

Loki considered his offer for a moment. "I accept."

Thanos' smile widened. "Excellent." He looked to the Other. "See him to his room."

The Other bowed and gave the chains in his hand a yank, sending Loki stumbling. They made their way up several flights of stairs and down a dark hall. Eventually, they came to a large door. The Other pushed the door open and led Loki in. There was a large bed and next to it, a table with his horned helmet.

"Welcome to your new lodgings. A servant will be in shortly with some food. You should rest, the real training begins tomorrow." He unchained Loki's wrists and slammed the door behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment! It's about to speed into the Avengers.