Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Thirteen

"Our sources have picked up the Tesseract's energy signature. We must act now." The Other said, kneeling at the throne.

Loki stood in the observatory, his hands clasped behind his back. He was dressed in his newly polished armor, his horned helmet on his head. He had spent months, possibly years, training and fighting, learning the ways of his allies.

"Bring me the scepter." Thanos commanded. A slave stepped forward and knelt down, bowing his head and raising a golden staff. The scepter looked like a twig in Thanos' giant hands. "Step forward Prince Loki."

Loki, head held high, stepped forward but did not kneel. Thanos grinned at his blatant snub and placed the scepter in his hands. Loki looked it over, shifting it from hand to hand. It was made of gold with a sharp blade at the top. At the base of the blade was a glowing blue gem. Loki looked at him with an arched brow.

"The scepter will be a useful tool in your quest. It's gem holds great power. Use it to gain control of those who would oppose you." Thanos said.

"I'll have the elixir now." Loki replied.

"I'm afraid not. It was useful in healing you but out clouds your mind and that is something we cannot afford. Bring me the Tesseract and you shall have your fill of it." He said.

Thoroughly displeased with his answer, he exhaled through his nose. "I'm ready then." Loki said.

OoOoOo

Seren drove down the highway with the windows down. The muggy Miami night air whipped her hair around. The amber street lights flashed as she sped past them. Lightning flashed in the distance and she sighed. It seemed like the last two weeks there was a storm every night. She pulled into the parking lot of her apartment, rolled her windows up and got out of the car.

"Late night?" Someone shouted.

She looked up to the fourth floor and smiled. "What's up Carlos?" She threw her book bag on her shoulder.

Carlos was her neighbor. He had dark brown hair to his shoulders and a nicely shaped goatee. He was Cuban and had the thick accent and bronzed skin to show it. He nodded up at the sky. "Another storm is coming."

"I know, crazy isn't it?" She huffed as she ascended the stairs. She fished her keys out of her purse.

"Different than that cold ass Boston weather, eh?" He said.

She laughed. "I'll take the thunderstorms over snow storms any day."

Carlos handed her a plate wrapped in foil. "I had some left over arroz con pollo."

"Sounds sexy." She quipped.

"It's chicken and rice." He said, rolling his eyes.

"Thanks Carlos. Goodnight."

He flicked his cigarette over the balcony and nodded. "Sleep tight."

She unlocked her door and dropped the keys and bags onto the couch. She walked to the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of beer. Thunder rumbled loudly, startling her. She grabbed her beer and a fork and turned on the television before settling down on the couch.

It had been nearly two years since she'd left Asgard and ultimately Boston. She'd heard nothing from Thor and was slowly adjusting to life without them. She had settled in nicely in Miami. She worked at an upscale bar in Little Havana and lived in the same district. The money wasn't bad and the people were the same.

She turned the t.v. to the late night news and began shoveling Carlos' food into her mouth.

OoOoOo

Loki exhaled and looked up slowly from where he'd landed in the bowels of the research facility, steam billowing off of him. He looked up, slowly taking in his surroundings. At least a dozen men aimed their weapons at him. He stood.

"Sir, please put down the spear!" A dark skinned man ordered.

Loki's smile faded and he looked down at the scepter as a warm, electric sensation began to creep up his arm. Without a second thought he pointed the scepter at him and sent a blast of energy at them. Two men dodged the attack, but three more were not so lucky.

The Tesseract was in his sights. He leapt into the air and plunged the blade of the scepter into the chest of one of the armed men. He turned and took down three more guards with his throwing knives. Their bullets bounced off of him with no effect. He shot at two more men, downing them easily and looked around for anyone who was left. He turned as one of the men scurried to his feet and pointed his gun at him.

Loki grabbed his hand and twisted it back, causing the man to wince. He could feel the man's courage radiate through him. "You have heart." Loki said, touching the scepter's point to his chest. He watched with satisfaction as the man's widened eyes went black before turning an unnatural shade of blue. The man straightened up and returned his gun to its holster.

Loki turned in time to see the dark skinned man trying to escape with the tesseract. "Please don't. I still need that." He said calmly.

The man turned. He had a patch over his eye. "This doesn't have to get any messier."

Loki stepped towards him. "Of course it does. I've come too far for anything else. I am Loki of Asgard and I am burdened with glorious purpose."

"Loki? Brother of Thor?" An older man asked from behind Loki. Loki's eye twitched slightly, but he pretended not to hear him.

"We have no quarrel with your people." The one eyed man said.

Loki smirked. "And an ant has no quarrel with a boot." He said.

"Are you planning on stepping on us?"

"I come with glad tidings, of a world made free." Loki said.

"Free from what?"

"Freedom. Freedom is life's great lie. Once you accept, that in your heart..." Loki heard a shuffling noise behind him. He spun around and touched the blade to the older man's chest, smiling as his eyes faded to black and then blue. "You will know peace."

The darker man narrowed his one good eye. "Yeah, you say peace, but I kind of think you mean the other thing."

The ceiling above rumbled loudly as the tesseract's bright energy cloud suddenly became unstable. Agent Barton stepped forward, his hand resting just above his gun. "Sir, Director Fury is stalling. This place is about to blow. Drop a hundred feet of rock on us. He means to bury us."

Loki looked down at Fury, as if for confirmation. "Like the pharaohs of old." Fury said.

Dr. Selvig began shoving his papers and data into a bag. "He's right. The portal is collapsing in on itself. You've got maybe two minutes before this goes critical."

"Well then." Loki turned on his heel, briefly making eye contact with Barton as he headed for the exit. Without question, Barton pulled his gun and fired a round, striking Director Fury. Fury fell to the ground. Barton stepped over him and grabbed the case that housed the Tesseract before joining Loki, Selvig, and another controlled agent.

OoOoOo

Seren gave a violent start, nearly tumbling off of the couch. The empty plate lay on the floor. She rubbed her eyes and glanced at the clock. It was just after two in the morning and the storm raged on.

"We've just received word of a massive explosion in a research facility in the Jornada del Muethe desert in New Mexico. No word yet on the number of casualties."

She felt around blindly for the remote and turned up the volume. "The explosion happened just after ten pm mountain time. There is no word yet on the number of casualties and an investigation into the cause is underway."

Seren had an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach, but brushed it off as PTSD from the last time she was in New Mexico. She turned off the t.v. and walked back to her room, burrowing under the large white comforter.

OoOoOo

Loki sat on the dirty ground of the abandoned underground bunker that he and his newly acquired lackeys had found out in the desert. He calmed his breathing and closed his eyes, searching for any signs of her that he could find.

He could see the silhouettes of hundreds of people as they walked, danced, and conversed with one another. It was as if he were walking through the streets. He looked everywhere for the familiar blonde. He was about to give up when he felt it. With a gasp too quiet for anyone else to hear, he found her. It was like she was right before him, he could smell her lotion, hear her breath. She was on the dance floor, dancing with other people. She turned in his direction, looking right through him and he stopped short. This wasn't her. This woman's hair was dark. Not the golden yellow that he knew so well. Before he could further investigate, the scepter's power pulled him onto the dark plane of the Other.

"I am not your servant to summon." Loki snapped.

"The Chitauri grow restless." He said, ignoring his remark.

Loki rolled his eyes and sighed. "Let them go at themselves. I will lead them into glorious battle."

The Other scoffed. "Battle? Against the meager might of Earth?"

"Glorious, not lengthy. If your force is...as formidable as you claim."

The Other paced back and forth. "You question us? You question HIM? He, who put the scepter in your hand, who gave you ancient knowledge and new purpose when you were cast out, defeated?"

His resolve was beginning to crumble. " I was a king! The rightful king of Asgard! Betrayed!" He snapped.

"No. Your ambition is little, born of childish need. We look beyond the Earth to greater worlds the Tesseract will unveil." He grinned behind his mask, showing his jagged teeth. "And you are the discarded bastard of Jotunheim, with no legitimate claim to the throne which you covet so badly."

Loki resisted the urge to skewer him with the scepter, masking his anger with a cool smile. "Ah but you don't have the Tesseract yet." He said. The Other lunged at him angrily, but stopped short as Loki raised the scepter. "I don't threaten, but until I open the doors, until your force is mine to command, you are but words."

The Other returned to pacing around Loki, stopping just behind him. "You will have your war, Asgardian. If you fail, if the Tesseract is kept from us, there will be no realm, no barren moon, no crevice where he can't find you. You think you know pain? He will make you long for something as sweet as pain." He grabbed the side of Loki's face, sending him back to the bunker where his physical form jerked to consciousness.

He looked around at all of the people he'd captured as they worked. As he walked by them, he came up on Dr. Selvig and agent Barton talking amongst themselves. Selvig looked up from his equipment when he heard Loki's footsteps. He smiled brightly. "Hey! The Tesseract is showing me so much. It's more than just knowledge, it's... truth."

Loki gave him a nod. "I know." He turned to Barton. "What did it show you, agent Barton?"

Barton was busy arranging his weapons. "My next target."

Loki smiled. "Tell me what you need."

"I'll need a distraction." He grabbed his bow. "And an eyeball."

"Excellent. Am I to take it this isn't just any eyeball?" Loki asked.

"The eyeball of one Dr. Christoph Riele to be exact. He is a scientist who specializes in the harvesting of iridium for green energy. He's hosting a fundraiser in Stuttgart in two days." Selvig answered without looking up from his work.

"Very well. Continue your work. I will see you all in Stuttgart in two days time." Loki said.

"Sir, I should go with you." Barton said.

Loki smiled. "While I appreciated your...loyalty, this is something I must take care of myself. Rest assured, where I go, no danger awaits me." He turned and made his way to one of the lesser occupied wings of the bunker.

OoOoOo

Seren poured a shot glass of whiskey and slid it to the man in front of her, giving him a wink as she did so.

"Thanks kid." He said, downing the beverage.

She laid a rag over her shoulder. "Take it easy tonight Doc. I'm off."

The older man had gray hair that he wore sucked back and a pair of black glasses. He was an old jazz musician and a regular at her bar. He took a drag from his cigarette and pointed at her. "You stay outta trouble."

She turned and flashed him a smile. "It's what I do best. Night Doc."

"Night sweetheart." He called as she walked into the back.

"Hey Miguel, I'm off. I'll see you tomorrow?" She said. The guy at the desk looked up at her.

"Yea. Got a date or something?" He asked.

"Or something. I'm just meeting some of the girls over at Casa de los Muertos. Girl's night out." She replied, grabbing her purse.

Miguel laughed. "Go. Have your fun. But be careful, eh? They're calling for more storms tonight."

"Goodnight!"

OoOoOo

By the time she got to the club, the storm was in full swing. She managed to get inside without getting completely soaked. The music was loud and the bass was louder. She searched the cried for her friends.

She spotted her bar mate waving frantically for her at the bar. Weaving her way through the crowd, she joined her at the bar.

Kimbra threw her arms around her. "YAY YOU MADE IT!!"

Seren brushed her hair out of her face. "Yeah I practically had to swim here! Where are the others?"

Kimbra shrugged. "It's just you and me. Mel couldn't get of work and Lainey was here but left about an hour ago with some guy. She's kind of promiscuous. But hey! Your here so we are going to live it up!" She slammed her hand down on the bar and signaled for two drinks.

"What did you order?"

Kimbra smiled. "It's called Call a Cab! Great way to get started. Bottoms up!" She handed Seren a larger than average shot glass full of potent smelling blue liquid.

Seren tipped it back and downed it in one nearly too big gulp. She couldn't hold back the grimace and shudder that followed.

"Not bad huh? C'mon!" Kimbra grabbed her by the wrist and drug her into the dance floor.

They danced for hours. Seren let herself get carried away into it all. The music and mood of the crowd was almost euphoric, though that could have been the alcohol too. Kimbra kept her hydrated on fruity drinks to the point that she had to cut herself off.

Yeah, en Cuba, la cosa esta dura
But the woman get down, if you know what I mean
In Colombia the women got everything done
But they are some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen


She felt a pair of cool hands on her waist and just went with it, raising her arms in the air and swaying her hips to the beat of the music.

You put it down like New York City I never sleep
Wild like Los Angeles, My fantasy
Hotter than Miami, I feel the heat
Ohh, this international love
Ohh, this international love


She felt the man's breath hot on her neck. "I liked you better as a blonde..." her heart nearly stopped and she spun around, her blue eyes meeting the brightest of green.

She swallowed hard, her head spinning. "Loki?"

He grinned. "You were expecting someone else?"

She reared back and slapped him across the face, taking them both by surprise. "YES AS A MATTER OF FACT, I WAS!!" She cried. The crowd around them dispersed slightly, watching and whispering to one another. "You...ASSHOLE!" She slammed her hand into his chest, barely making him move.

"Seren! Hey what happened?" Kimbra asked, pulling her back.

Loki narrowed his eyes. "This isn't the reaction I was hoping for."

"You left me, Loki! You gave up and you left me!" Seren cried angrily

Two bouncers walked towards them. "You guys need to take this outside." One grabbed Seren by the upper arm.

Loki glared at him. "You will unhand her!"

The man puffed up his chest, stopping mere inches from Loki's face. "The fuck are you gonna do about it?"

Loki headbutted the man and struck him in the gut with his knee, sending him to his knees, blood spurting from his nose. Loki shimmered green and gold, his hands and shirt giving way to his Asgardian armor and golden helmet.

The people backed away, some gasping. The second bouncer quickly released Seren.

"Loki what do you want?" She asked through gritted teeth. Before he could answer, there was a deafening thunder clap and the power flickered. The glass doors burst open. Thor entered, wielding Mjolnir.

He looked almost surprised. "Loki!" He bellowed.

Loki rolled his eyes. "Now this is what I wanted to avoid." He grabbed Seren, pulling her against him like a shield.

"What are you doing?!" She cried.

"Be quiet!" Loki hissed.

Thor advanced carefully. "Loki what are you doing?" He held his hand out to her. "Let her go."

Loki laughed, brandishing his scepter. "And what will you do if I don't?" He held the blade close to her throat.

"Who are you?" She asked, pressing her head against his chest to put distance between herself and the blade.

"Don't you know? I'm the monster parents tell their children about at night." He hissed, pressing his forehead roughly against the side of her head.

"Loki, you don't want to do this." Thor said.

"You're right." He shoved Seren roughly to the ground. "I want to do THIS!" He fired the scepter at his brother.

Thor avoided the full effect of the blast, but his shoulder took a hit. He glared angrily at Loki. "What's happened to you?!" He flew into the air and brought Mjolnir down. Loki parried the attack with the scepter.

By now, nearly all of the club goers had left. A few stragglers stood well away, aiming their cell phones at the fight.

A bright green light erupted from Loki's chest, sending Thor through a wall. Seren lunged forward, striking him. "Stop it! You're going to kill him!"

He grabbed her by her face. "That's the point!" He hissed, throwing back to the ground. She hit her head on a chair and was knocked out.

"Loki! What did you do?!" Thor yelled. He charged at him. Loki held out his scepter and his free hand. His eyes glowed bright green and a portal similar to that of a black hole opened up. Thor ran right into it, disappearing. The hole closed with an audible pop. Loki looked around, feeling suddenly very lightheaded. He stumbled forward and tossed Seren over his shoulder before disappearing through a similar black hole.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics were International Love by Pittbull. More to come soon! Thanks to all who comment and recommend, you're the best!