Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Fourteen

Loki came to several hours later in the underground bunker. He looked around the tiny room, but found he was alone. He pushed through the plastic blinds that served as the door and grabbed the first person he saw.

"The girl, where is she?" Loki asked.

The man was almost as tall as Loki, but heavier set with a full brown beard. "She's with agent Barton." He replied.

Loki let him go and nodded, relief washing over him. "And where is Agent Barton?"

"In the lab."

Loki made his way through the musty, dimly lit corridors until he came to the brightly lit laboratory. Selvig and his assistants were working and talking amongst themselves. Agent Barton was cleaning his guns on a nearby table. He turned his head only slightly.

"Where is she?" Loki asked.

Barton snapped the barrel of the gun into place. "In the room on the left." He said.

Loki entered the dark room, summoning light with the scepter. Seren sat in the corner, her wrists and ankles bound. Duct tape was over her mouth. She glared at him. Her hair hung loosely around her shoulders and her face was bruised around her right eye.

"Barton, why is she bound and gagged?" Loki asked, kneeling before her.

"You told us to watch her, and then you collapsed. She tried to escape so we had to secure her." Barton said.

Loki took her chin and turned her face gently. "I do not recall telling you to beat her into submission."

"She was like that when you brought her here. Whatever caused that..." He pointed to her face. "Didn't come from any of us." He turned to exit. Loki felt a brief moment of regret.

"Where are you going?"

"With all due respect sir, we have a flight to catch in three hours." Barton walked out.

Loki sighed and turned back to Seren. He reached out to remove the tape but she jerked away. "Don't do that!" He snapped. She narrowed her eyes at him and turned her head defiantly. He grabbed the tape and ripped it from her mouth.

Seren screamed. "You jerk! What the hell is wrong with you?! I don't know who you think you are! You take me back home NOW!"

Loki quickly replaced the tape, muffling her angry words and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry, but I've got a slight headache and your voice isn't helping." He said, pulling a chair out to sit on. He stared at her for a moment. "I want to talk to you. If I remove the gag, will you cease your nagging?"

If looks could kill, Loki would be dying a thousand deaths. She looked away, focusing on the water stains on the ceiling. Loki reached forward once more and pulled the tape off again. She turned her face to the side, rubbing her mouth on her shoulder as her hands were bound behind her back.

"You changed your hair." He stated.

"Yeah well you changed everything." She snapped.

Loki smiled. "That may be so, but it's for the better. I will never again be seen as weak."

"You're the only one who saw yourself that way, Loki."

He chose to ignore the comment. "Why did you change your hair?"

"Really?" She finally looked at him. He looked sick, literally. His face was pale and clammy. His once green eyes were bright blue and bloodshot. "What's wrong with you?"

"I'm unaware that anything is wrong. I feel exhilarated."

"Do your parents know you're here?"

"They're not my parents!" He snarled.

"Don't give me that bullshit, Loki. They raised you. Who would do that for someone they didn't love? And what did you do to Thor? He's your brother!"

"He's NOT my brother!" Loki yelled.

"AND YOU'RE DELUSIONAL!! You better not have hurt him or so help me-"

Loki slapped the tape back over her mouth and rubbed his face with a frustrated growl. "I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!" He yelled at her. "Make yourself comfortable. We have a flight to catch." He kicked the chair over as he excited the room.

OoOoOo

Selvig looked over at Seren who sat in the corner of the large delivery truck. Her face was smeared with dirt from the bunker. Her hair was matted with dried blood and she stared tiredly out the darkly tinted window.

He pulled a bottle of water from a small cooler and held it out for her. "You should stay hydrated."

She turned her head slowly and looked at him, arching her brow. He gave the water a tiny shake. Seren glared at him. He gave a start. "Oh! Right! Sorry!" He ripped the tape from her mouth, causing her to groan. "Sorry!" He chuckled nervously.

"Can you untie me?" She asked.

"Oh...no. No no. I can't do that." He replied.

"Then how the hell do you expect me to drink? Are you going to feed me like a baby?" She snapped.

He set the bottle on a nearby arm rest and produced a straw. "He's thought of everything." He said with a smile.

Seren rolled her eyes and leaned forward to drink. The water was refreshing and cool.

"How do the two of you know each other?" He asked.

"We go way back. We're the best of friends, can't you tell?" She replied.

Selvig smiled, not picking up on the sarcasm in her voice. "That's nice. He's quite the character. And the plans he has in store..." He tinkered with the machinery on the table before him. "It's going to be big." He said, glancing at her.

"What the hell are you talking about? Plans?" She saw motion behind him and strained to look over his shoulder. "What is that?"

He turned. "A bird's eye view."

"Is crypticism the only language you people speak?" She asked. She watched the screen as an older man stepped up to a podium and began speaking in German. Leaning forward to sip her water, she noticed the crowd suddenly became unsettled. Loki appeared, taking the speaker by the collar of his suit and slamming him onto a table. With only the slightest pause and glance at the stunned crowd, Loki pulled out a sharp device and plunged it mercilessly into the man's eye. Seren choked, spewing her water. "What did he-ohmygosh.." She began to hyperventilate. "Please...I ca-can't...breathe..."

Selvig rushed over to her, grabbing a nearby paper bag. "Breathe into this!"

When he was close enough, Seren reared back and headbutted him in the face. He stumbled back, slightly dazed. Seren lifted her bound feet and kicked him hard, knocking him over the table. The machine and it's parts fell with him. She stood, backing against the doors of the vehicle. She felt around until she grabbed the cold handle. With a shove, the door swung open and she landed on the asphalt. Her knees and elbow burned from the impact with the road.

She twisted her legs and feet trying to loosen the ropes, but only managed to further irritate her skin. She rolled onto her side and managed to pull herself to her knees.

There was a loud explosion. Startled by the noise, she screamed, remembering the night her grandmother died. She could hear other people screaming around her and felt a pair of strong hands help her to her feet.

"It's alright ma'am. You're alright." The man spoke with a perfect American dialect. He wore a red, white, and blue outfit and a mask covered his face. He ripped the rope from her ankles and then her wrists. "Get somewhere safe." He said, before sprinting off towards a crowd of people.

Seren, having nowhere to go and unable to speak German, followed him to a courtyard full of hundreds of people, all on their knees. Loki stood towering over them, aiming his scepter at the one man who dared not kneel.

"Look to your elder, people. Let him be an example." Loki said, aiming the scepter at the man.

Seren's breath hitched. "Loki NO!!" She cried. At the precise moment the scepter fired, the man who'd helped her, jumped in front of the elderly man, blocking the blast with his shield. The shot ricocheted off the shield and hit Loki, knocking him to the ground. Seren's hands flew to her mouth.

The masked man approached slowly as Loki got to his feet. "You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing."

Loki gripped his staff. "The soldier." He spat. "The man out of time."

The soldier gave a slight shake of his head. "I'm not the one who's out of time." There was a loud rumble and the whine of a turbine engine as a large black plane lowered, aiming its guns at Loki.

A woman's voice echoed in the air. "Loki, drop the weapon and stand down!" She commanded. Loki glanced up and fired the scepter. The plane dodged the attack. Distracted, Loki didn't see the shield the soldier had slung at him and it caught him in the chest.

Seren's mind was racing as she watched the two fight. By now, the crowd had dispersed, leaving only herself and the two men in the courtyard.

The soldier threw the shield at Loki once more but Loki swatted it down and knocked him to the ground.

Seren ran towards him. "Loki stop it! This isn't you!" She screamed.

He glared at her and shot her with the scepter. Seren fell backwards to the ground, gasping for air. Loki turned to strike but the soldier flipped back and kicked him in the face. Loki stumbled backwards as the soldier charged him, punching him in the ribs. He grabbed him and threw him several feet away. He was about to attack when music began playing loudly over the plane's loudspeakers.

Iron Man landed in front of Loki, aiming all of his guns at him. "Make your move reindeer games." The soldier joined Iron Man. Loki held his hands up slowly, his armor and helmet fading away.

Loki, looking furious, said nothing. He slowly raised his hands in the air.

"Good move." Iron Man said.

The soldier joined them, slightly out of breath. "Mr. Stark."

"Cap'n" Iron Man looked at Loki. "Who's the girl?" Loki said nothing, only stared at him.

Cap spoke up. "I found her in the street tied up. I told her to get to safety but she followed me."

"Captain Rogers, bring the girl. She seems to know him. For all we know, she's involved." The woman said over the loudspeaker. Captain Rogers leaned down next to her. She was unconscious. He brushed her hair out of her bruised and dirt-smeared face. He could tell by the rise of her chest that she was alive.

Loki's eyes widened just briefly as Captain Rogers lifted her effortlessly into his arms. Her head hung back limply.

The jet landed in the street and a red headed woman stepped off. She stalked over to Loki brandishing a plastic zip tie. "Give me your hands." She said. Loki raised them and she bound his wrists with the tie. He allowed her to pull him to his feet and the five of them boarded the jet.

OoOoOo

Loki stared across the jet where Seren lay, still unconscious. He sighed and laid his head back.
"I don't like it." Captain Rogers said.

"What? Rock of Ages giving up so easily?" Stark quipped.

"I don't remember it being ever that easy. This guy packs a wallop." Rogers said.

Loki rolled his eyes as the two men spoke of him as though he weren't ten feet away from them.

"Still, you are pretty spry, for an older fellow. What's your thing? Pilates?"

Rogers' brow furrowed. "What?"

Stark shrugged. "It's like calisthenics. You might have missed a couple things, you know, doing time as a Capsicle."

Rogers frowned. "Fury didn't tell me he was calling you in."

Stark smirked. "Yeah, there's a lot of things Fury doesn't tell you." The jet gave a jerk as it encountered turbulence. Lightning streaked across the sky.

"Where's this coming from?" Romanoff asked.

Loki's eyes shot open. He could hear the rumble of thunder over the whine of the engines and stared out the window. Captain Rogers looked over at Loki, clearly annoyed.

"What's the matter? Scared of a little lightning?" He asked.

"I'm not overly fond of what follows." Loki replied. There was a loud explosion as the ramp door was forced open. Seren sat up with a frightened cry. Thor entered the jet. Without a word he grabbed Loki by the scruff of the neck and flew out into the storm. Stark and Rogers were left staring at the vacant seat where Loki had just been.

"Now there's that guy." Stark said.

Romanoff glanced back at them. "Another Asgardian?"

"Think the guy's a friendly?" Rogers asked.

"Yes, it's Thor! He's Loki's brother." Seren said.

"It doesn't matter. If he frees Loki or kills him, the Tesseract's lost." Stark rushed over to the ledge.

"Stark! We need a plan of attack!" Rogers shouted.

"I have a plan. Attack." The man covered his face and he flew out in pursuit of Thor.

"Thor isn't a bad guy. I've known him most of my life. He won't kill Loki." Seren said.

Rogers grabbed a parachute and slipped it on. Romanoff looked back at him, flipping a few switches. "I'd sit this one out, Cap."

"I don't see how I can." He replied, securing the chute.

"These guys come from legends, they're practically gods." The red head said.

"There's only one God, ma'am. And I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that." he dove out of the jet.

Seren looked towards the front of the plane. "Please don't let them hurt them, they aren't bad people."

Romanoff shook her head. "I have no control over what happens out there. I don't know about the other guy, but Loki doesn't seem like the poster boy for good behavior." She glanced at her over her shoulder. "What's your name?"

"Seren Tremaine." She said.

"Well Seren Tremaine, I'm Natasha. You should buckle up. We've got to pick up whoever survives."

OoOoOo

Loki cried out as he landed roughly on a jagged rock.

Thor loomed over him, his face a mask of anger. "Where is the Tesseract?"

Loki laughed. "I missed you too."

Thor raised Mjolnir. "Do I look to be in a gaming mood?!"

Loki's smile faded. "What do you know of the Tesseract? You who spent all your time training and fighting."

"I know enough to know the risk if it falls into the wrong hands."

"Oh, you should thank me. With the Bifrost gone how much dark energy did the Allfather have to muster to conjure you here? Your precious Earth. How did you manage to make it out of wherever I sent you back in Florida?"

Thor dropped Mjolnir, causing the ground beneath them to quake. He grabbed Loki by the collar of his coat. "I thought you dead."

Loki glared at him. "Did you mourn?"

Thor's features softened at the memory of it. "We all did. Our father-"

Loki jerked free with a growl. "Your father. He did tell you my true parentage, did he not?" He walked away.

"He did. But it makes no difference! Why be angry at the man who saved you? Should you not instead be angry at the one who abandoned you? Your logic is skewed and your anger is misplaced."

"Says the Prince who has never wanted for anything. You speak as if you have experienced my pain firsthand." Loki said, looking out over the dark landscape.

"We were raised together, we played together, we fought together. Do you remember none of that?" Thor asked.

Loki turned to look up at him. "I remember a shadow. Living in the shade of your greatness. I remember you tossing me into an abyss. I was and should be king!"

Thor scoffed. "You know damn well I didn't throw you! I would never have let go. You are the one who gave up and now you take the world I love as recompense for your imagined slights. No, Earth is under my protection, Loki."

Loki laughed. "And you're doing a marvelous job with that. The humans slaughter each other in droves, while you idly threat. I mean to rule them. And why should I not?"

"You think yourself above them?" Thor asked.

Loki looked at him, confused. "Well, yes."

"Then you miss the truth of ruling, brother. The throne would suit you ill."

Angrily, Loki shoved past his brother and walked towards the ledge of the cliff, staring out into the night. "I've seen worlds you've never known about! I have grown, Odinson, in my exile! I have seen the true power of the Tesseract, and when I wield it-"

Thor pointed at him. "Who showed you this power?! Who controls the would-be-king?"

Loki spun around. "I AM A KING!"

Thor got in his face, grabbing him one more by the jacket. "Not here! You give up the Tesseract! You give up this poisonous dream! You come home."

Loki looked at him, briefly wanting to comply. For just a second, he wanted things to be as they once had been, and then it was gone. He smiled. "I don't have it. You need the cube to bring me home, but I've sent it off I know not where."

Thor held his hand out, gasping Mjolnir. "You listen well, brother. I-" there was a bright light and Thor was gone. "I'm listening." He replied.

Loki walked higher up on the cliff to watch the impending fight.

OoOoOo

Thor and Iron Man crashed into the valley below. Thor several yards away, stood to his feet, glaring at his attacker. "Do not touch me again."

Iron Man stood straight, the face shield opening. "Then don't take my stuff."

"This is not your fight. You have no idea what you're dealing with." Thor said.

Stark looked around. "Shakespeare in the park? Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

"This is beyond you, metal man. Loki will face Asgardian justice!"

"He gives up the Cube, he's all yours. Until then, stay out of my way." The mask clamped shut and he turned to fly away. "Tourist."

In a moment of rage, Thor threw Mjolnir at Stark, knocking him across the forest and into a large spruce.

Stark pushed himself to his knees. "Okay."

Thor began to spin Mjolnir but before he could strike, Iron Man shot at him with his repulsor, knocking him backwards. Before he could get to his feet, Stark used his boosters to close the gap between them, sending him through the tree.

Thor jumped to his feet and held Mjolnir in the air, summoning the power of lightning. He aimed the hammer at Stark, blasting him with more than enough power to kill a human.

Iron Man attempted to shield himself, but was left glowing when the assault was over.

"Sir, power at 4,000 percent capacity."

"How 'bout that?" Iron man fired his repulsors from both hands, pushing Thor to his knees.

Like two soldiers ready to draw, both Thor and Iron Man fly at one another. They collided into each other and ascend up against the side of the mountain. When they landed once more, Stark lunged at him, trying to man a punch with both hands.

Thor grabbed both of Stark's arms, slowly crushing the metal. Stark opened his palms, blinding Thor and sending him stumbling backwards. He headbutted Thor with little effect. Thor in turn headbutted him, sending him across the forest. Stark caught his balance and flew back at him. He grabbed him by his arm and cape and hurled him into a tree.

He charged at Thor again, but the Asgardian caught him and slammed him down to the ground. Thor raised Mjolnir and bought it down swiftly. Stark used the boosters of his boots to slide under Thor to safety. The Terri men turned to face one another but before they could make a move, a circular shield struck both of them.

"Hey! That's enough!" Captain Rogers stood looking down at them from atop a broken tree. He jumped down, landing in front of them both. "Now, I don't know what you plan on doing here-"

"I've come to put an end to Loki's schemes!" Thor snapped. Stark stood up next to Thor, looking at Rogers.

"Then prove it! Put the hammer down." Rogers said.

"Um, yeah, no! Bad call! He loves his hammer!" Stark was thrown backwards by Mjolnir.

"You want me to put the hammer down?!" Thor launched himself into the air. He brought the hammer down and Captain Rogers blocked with his shield. The impact caused a massive explosion, leveling the forest and laying the trio out.

After taking a moment to recover, the slowly got to their feet. Rogers looked at Thor and Stark. "Are we done here?"

The jet roared overhead, landing up on the flat cliff. The ramp opened and agent Romanoff walked out, Seren following behind.

"If you boys are done playing, we need to get back to base." The red head said, her hand on her hip.

Seren walked over to Loki who sat by the edge. His hands were still bound. She knelt next to him. "Are you alright?"

The hint of concern in her voice took him by surprise and he looked at her. "Are you?" He asked.

"She'll be fine." Romanoff said. "You? I'm not so sure."

Thor pulled Loki to his feet and the group boarded the jet once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment! I own nothing! More to come soon!!