Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Sixteen

Seren stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her clothes were stained with blood. She looked down at her hands. She'd never been in a situation that resulted in the loss of so much blood. She clenched her hands repeatedly, flexing her knuckles. Her fingers were stiff and sticky with the now dried blood.

She turned on the faucet and once the water was near to scalding, she began to scrub her hands furiously. The water in the bathroom sink swirled red.

There was a knock at the door, ripping her from her trance. "Are you alright?" Loki asked.

She grit her teeth and clenched her fists again. "Leave me alone." She said.

"I'm afraid I can't do that." He suddenly twisted the knob. Seren threw her weight against the door and twisted the lock. She lay her head against the door and squeezed her eyes shut, gasping for air. She felt as if her throat was closing off and her heart pounded in her ears.

"Do you really think this primitive door will keep me out?" Loki asked. His breath was hot on her neck.

She screamed and spun around, flattening herself against the door. Loki stood before her, a smug smile on his lips. His armor was gone, in its place, he wore his leather pants and a black silk tunic.

"Why are you doing this?" She asked.

"Why does anyone do anything? To benefit themselves." He replied.

She shook her head. "What happened to you? I don't even know you anymore."

He moved towards her until his face was inches from hers. "Then let me re-introduce myself." He whispered, grabbing her freshly cleaned hand. Slowly, without breaking her weary gaze, he brought her hand to his lips and pressed a feather light kiss to her knuckles. "I am Prince Loki, of Jotunheim."

Seren began to tremble. She was terrified by him, but more so because of the fact that he still caused her heart to race and knees to weaken. She felt her knees buckle and in one fell swoop, he had her in his arms.

"Is my lady unwell?" He asked.

"I...think so..." She whispered.

"Well now, this won't do." He said. "Perhaps a bath will help."

He set her down on the edge of the oversized bathtub. Without a word, he stripped away her bloody clothing until she was naked and trembling and then he lowered her into the hot water.

She watched him as he wrung water out of a cloth and began to wipe her face and neck.

He smiled. "You're staring."

"Sorry.." She turned her head.

He took her chin and forced her to look at him. "You will never have to apologize to me. Not to me." He said. "I'm the same man who saved you from drowning that day at lake. The same man who wanted to marry you."

She shook her head. "Are you?" She asked, meeting his gaze. "You've done terrible things Loki. You've killed someone in cold blood...there's no coming back from that." She pulled her knees to her chest, laid her head down and began to cry.

His heart lurched and with a wave of his hand, his clothes were gone and he lowered himself into the tub next to her. "I'm still him." He whispered, wrapping his arms around her. "Everything I do, I do to secure our future."

"Please don't. Don't tell me that you've done all of this for me..." She laid her head against his chest and began to sob openly. "I still love you. God help me I do..." She looked up at him and kissed him gently.

OoOoOo

Seren arched her back as Loki thrust one last time before collapsing next to her. Gasping to catch his breath, he pulled her into his arms, kissing her forehead.

The two were silent for a moment before Seren spoke up. "What happens next?"

He chuckled and traced his fingertips up and down her spine. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean, Loki. You escaped those agents and created a small army. I'm sure you didn't do it to impress me." She looked up at him, her hand pressed to his chest.

"Well, you would be correct." He said. "And I assure you, my army is far from small."

"Is all of this over? Can't we please go back to the way it used to be? I know it's not too late for you."

"Oh my love. I'm afraid not. There is still much to be done, quite soon, actually." He replied.

Seren scoffed, sitting up. Loki looked up at her, folding his hands under his head. "Did you think that getting me into bed would actually change my mind?" He laughed. "Gods you are sweet. But I'm afraid even you with all your charm can't stop me."

"I thought maybe there was something left of the man I loved." She stood angrily, wrapping the sheet around herself. "Obviously I was mistaken. I could never marry something like you!"

She turned to leave the room, but Loki appeared before her, his eyes dark. He grabbed her wrist, forcing her to let go of the doorknob.

"You'll do it if I see fit." He said, brandishing the scepter. His armor reappeared.

She swallowed hard. "Are you going to make me a slave like the others?"

"No. Not like the others." He touched the point of the scepter to her chest and watched as her eyes glowed the familiar blue glow. "Simply because I love you like no other."

Seren blinked away her confusion and looked up at him. He smiled. "What happened?" She asked.

"A moment of weakness my love. And nothing more." He waved his hand and she was clothed in a simple gold silk gown. "Come. Let us look down upon our kingdom." He opened the door and they walked out into a large sitting room with black slate flooring. She lingered by the door, peering out nervously.

The wall was completely glass, allowing for a broad view of the city below. "Come dearest." Loki walked out onto the terrace. The sky was blue and the sun was warm on his skin. This would be a day to remember.

He watched as Iron Man flew towards the landing and smirked. "On second thought, stay there Seren." He said, watching as Stark's suit was peeled away.

Seren peered around the corner, her hand against the wall as the two men entered the room at opposite ends.

"Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity." Loki said.

Tony walked down the flight of stairs towards the bar. "Uh actually, I'm planning to threaten you."

Loki smirked and pointed at him with the spear. "You should have left your armor on for that."

"Yeah, it's seen a bit of mileage. You've got the blue stick of destiny. Would you like a drink?" Tony asked.

Loki glanced down at the scepter and chuckled. "Stalling me won't change anything."

"No no no. Threatening. No drink? You sure? I'm having one." He said. "What about you?" He looked over at Seren.

She opened her mouth to decline but Loki glared at her and she clamped her mouth shut.

"Guess you're more of a follower." He scrunched up his face as he took the liquor bottle off the shelf. "Please tell me you guys didn't do it in my bed."

Seren crossed her arms over her chest and looked away. Stark nodded and popped his lips. "Ok. Gross, but ok. At least she's cute, you on the other hand-"

Loki felt his patience wearing thin. He sighed and turned, walking to the giant windows. "The Chitauri are coming, nothing will change that." He turned once more. "What have I to fear?" Loki asked.

Stark pulled the cap off the glass of liquor. "The avengers."

Loki's brow furrowed slightly as he took a few steps closer.

Stark rolled his eyes. "It's what we call ourselves, sort of like a team. `Earth's mightiest heroes' type of thing." He poured himself a glass.

Loki smiled. "Yes. I've met them."

Stark snickered. "Yeah, takes us a while to get any traction, I'll give you that one." The seriousness returned to his face. " But, let's do a head count here. Your brother, the demi-God; a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend; a man with breath-taking anger management issues; a couple of master assassins, and you, big fella, you've managed to piss off every single one of them."

"That was the plan."

Stark took a sip of his drink. "Not a good plan." Drink in hand, he walked out from behind the bar. "When they come, and they will, they'll come for you."

"I have an army."

"We have a hulk." Tony replied.

"I thought the beast had wandered off."

Tony descended onto the lower level of the sitting room. "You're missing the point. There's no throne, there is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us, but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the Earth, you can be damned well sure we'll avenge it." He brought the glass up to his lips and took another sip.

Loki narrowed his eyes, walking towards him. "How will your friends have time for me, when they're so busy fighting you?"

Seren watched as he touched the scepter to Tony's chest. Nothing happened. He tapped it again.

Loki's brow furrowed. "This usually works."

Tony shrugged. "Well, performance issues...Are not uncommon. One out of five-" before he could finish, Loki gripped him by the throat and threw him to the ground.

"Jarvis. Anytime now." Stark groaned as he struggled to get to his stand. Loki once more grabbed him by his throat and pulled to his feet, squeezing his face in his hand.

"You will all fall before me!" Loki growled, lifting him into the air.

"Deploy!" Stark cried as Loki threw him through the plate glass window.

Seren started towards Loki but was thrown forward as a jet pack of some sort exploded out of a closet. Loki turned and dodged it just before it knocked him out of the tower.

He pushed himself up on his elbow. "Seren are you alright?"

She pushed herself up. "Yea. What the hell was that?" Loki helped her to her feet and they walked over to the edge.

"Undoubtedly another one of his gadgets." Loki replied looking down.

Without warning the iron man flew into the air, hovering just in front of Loki. "And there's one other person you pissed off! His name was Phil."

Loki shoved Seren out of the way and raised his staff to fire. Iron Man beat him to it, firing a shot from his repulsor that sent Loki to the ground with a gasp before flying off towards the chaos in the city below.

Seren ran to him. "Are you alright?!" She asked, helping him sit up.

He was furious and shook her off. "I am unhurt!"

At that moment, an explosion shook the building. Car horns and sirens filled the air. Seren stood and hurried to the window but she couldn't get a good view.

"What are you doing? Get away from the ledge!" He ordered, standing.

Seren backed away from the ledge and, lifting her gown, she hurried up the stairs and out to the terrace, coming to an abrupt halt on Stark's landing.

Below her, pure chaos erupted below. All around her invaders flew on their hover crafts, firing their weapons at everyone without discrimination.

"Do not fear, my love. They are under my command." Loki said as he walked out onto the landing. His armor and helmet appeared as he stood next to her. "All of this will be ours."

She stared down at it blankly. "A kingdom is nothing without its subjects...Will you kill them all?"

"The end justifies the means. This is but a speck of dust that will soon be forgotten." He replied.

There was a flash of red as Thor landed on the terrace below them. He glared up at his brother. "Seren, go inside." Thor said.

She looked at Loki for silent permission.

Loki stared down at his brother. "I agree. Seren, if you would." He said without looking at her.

Without a word, she kissed him gently. She turned to enter the penthouse, glancing at Thor over her shoulder.

"Loki! Turn off the Tesseract or I'll destroy it!" He threatened, holding Mjolnir at the ready.

"You can't. There is no stopping it. There is only the war!" Loki replied, pointing the scepter at him.

Thor scowled. "So be it." He growled.

Accepting the challenge with an enraged cry, Loki leapt from the upper landing, striking out at his brother with the blade of the scepter.

Seren crept towards tthe open window, watching with building anxiety as they fought. Something about all of this seemed off. Alarms were ringing in her head, but she could do nothing but ignore them. She felt like she should intervene but her body wouldn't move.

Loki fired the scepter at Thor who barely managed to dodge it. He made to fire again but Thor struck the scepter with Mjolnir, causing the intended blast to hit the massive logo on the side of the building. In a shower of sparks, it plummeted to the ground hundreds of feet below.

Thor swung Mjolnir and Loki bent backwards, hearing the hum as it just missed his head. Loki came back up quickly and grabbed Thor's head, shoving it violently through a plate of glass.

A jet hovered just over where they fought and began firing at him. The bullets stung, but failed to pierce. He threw Thor aside and fired at the jet, hitting one of the turbines. It erupted into flames and began to descend out of control.

Thor staggered to his feet and tackled Loki with an angry cry. One after the other the two traded punches. Loki brought up the scepter but Thor grabbed it as well, forcing him to pause.

"Look at this! Look around you! You think this madness will end with your rule?" Thor asked.

Loki glanced out at the chaos and had a brief moment of panic. Was this really what he wanted? He took in a shuddering breath.

"It's too late. It's too late to stop it." He gasped.

"No. We can. Together." Thor replied.

Loki looked at his brother, a single tear falling from his eye. And then it was as if a switch turned on. Loki grinned and plunged a dagger into Thor's side. Thor stumbled back, stunned, and fell to one knee.

"Sentiment." Loki spat.

In a rage, Thor shoved Loki through another glass partition. Before Loki could react, Thor lifted him into the air, high above his head and threw him to the ground.

Seren watched in horror as Loki rolled off the edge of the terrace. "No! Loki!"

She took off running towards the edge and would have jumped off after him, but Thor grabbed her around the waist before she could.

"Let me go! You killed him!" She screamed, kicking her legs.

"Seren stop! Calm yourself!" He pinned her arms to her side and pulled her away from the edge.

"Let me go!" She screamed.

"Listen to me! He's not dead!" He grabbed her chin and forced her to look at him. He took note of her eyes. "He's controlling you! I can see it in your eyes!"

"Let me go!" She demanded, plunging her finger into the wound on his side. On impulse, Thor backhanded her, sending her to the ground.

She looked up at him, blood tricking from her nose and split lip.

He knelt next to her. "Seren forgive me!"

She wiped at her lip with the back of her hand. "It's ok. You fixed it." She said.

Thor looked worried. "I should not have hit you."

"It's ok Thor. I hurt you first. Now we're even. Whatever he did to me, it's gone." She said.

He didn't look convinced as he helped her to her feet. "All the same-"

"Thor," she took his hand. "If you apologize again, I'll punch you in the nuts."

"The what?"

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "It will hurt. Just understand that. Now, take me inside. I don't have any shoes on and there's glass everywhere."

He lifted her into his arms and carried her back up to the penthouse. He set her down by the couch.

"I must go help the others. Stay here. It's higher ground and safe. One of us will come for you when this is all over." He said, walking to the open window.

She plopped down on the couch, closed her eyes and rubbed her temples. "Be careful Thor. Loki...is gone."

He turned. "I told you he isn't-"

She looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "It's not him. The Loki we knew is gone. Please be careful. I can't lose you too."

He pressed his lips together and nodded. "I will, my lady." He flew out into the melee.

OoOoOo

Seren lay on the couch sometime later trying to ignore the terrifying sounds outside when a sudden thought occurred to her. His eyes...

"Son of a bitch!" She sat bolt upright. "Son of a bitch!!" She grabbed the shoes she'd been wearing earlier and rushed out of the building.

OoOoOo

Once outside, she didn't know where to start. All around her people ran screaming. Bodies littered the streets and she had to force herself to look away.

There was an explosion not far from where she was. Against all rational thinking, she took off running in that direction.

The alien monsters were flying all around her firing their weapons blindly. She looked everywhere as she ran looking for any sign of Thor.

As she rounded the corner of 42nd avenue, an explosion above her showered her with glass and debris. She pressed herself flat against the building in a feeble attempt to shield herself, screaming as a body landed on the car in front of her.

Captain Rogers rolled of the car with a grunt and looked around when his eyes fell on Seren.

"Seren?" He jogged over towards her.

"Captain Rogers! Are you ok?" She asked.

He nodded, trying to catch his breath, and took her face in his gloved hand, looking her over. "What are you doing out here? It's not safe."

"I have to find Thor." She said.

"He's out here somewhere. I just secured this area. Find somewhere to hide and as soon as I can, I'll send Thor." He said.

Seren nodded and pushed through the door of the building. She watched as Captain Rogers ran back into the fight, taking down one of the monsters as he did so.

OoOoOo

Loki caught the arrow meant for him and smirked. 'Fools'. Unexpectedly, the arrow exploded, throwing Loki from the air craft. He landed on his back with a thud on the terrace at Stark tower.

He jumped to his feet but before he could act, a loud roar echoed in the distance. The Hulk launched himself over the ledge of the terrace and slammed Loki through the one window that wasn't broken.

Loki leapt to his feet as the Hulk charged him. "ENOUGH! YOU ARE, ALL OF YOU, ARE BENEATH ME! I AM A GOD YOU DULL CREATURE, AND I WILL NOT BE BULLIED BY-"

The Hulk grabbed Loki with one hand and began slamming him repeatedly into the ground as if he were no more than a rag doll. Huge craters were made as his body impacted the concrete. Finally the Hulk's tantrum had faded and he dropped him.

"Puny god." The creature grumbled before jumping out the window.

Left to lay in one of the craters, Loki was in shock, his breaths coming out in a high pitched wheeze. He stared at the ceiling of the penthouse, consumed with confusion and...pain. Lots of pain.

He was trying to piece together what he was doing there and what had happened. What events had led up to this moment? He heard a loud explosion and closed his eyes, wanting nothing more than to sleep.

Then his eyes opened and he remembered. "Seren!" He called. There was no answer, only the sounds of war in the streets below. He sighed painfully when he realized he was alone.

OoOoOo

"What the hell? What just happened? Please tell me nobody kissed me." Stark said, looking from side to side.

Steve sat back and sighed looking around. "We won."

"Alright. Hey. Alright. Good job, guys. Let's just not come in tomorrow. Let's just take a day. Have you ever tried shawarma? There's a shawarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I wanna try it." Stark said.

"We're not finished yet. Loki is up there and he has Seren." Thor replied.

The Hulk grinned and grunted.

"She's safe. I saw her over on 42nd. She was looking for you." Steve said, hooking his shield on his back.

"You're certain? Loki had her under his spell-"

Steve nodded and clapped his shoulder. "Go get your brother. I'll find Seren and we'll meet you at the tower."

Thor gave him a solomn nod and the group separated.

OoOoOo

Captain Rogers jogged past shell shocked civilians, scanning each one for Seren. He rounded the corner of 42nd and came to an abrupt stop.

To his horror, half of the building had collapsed in a mess of concrete and steel. The entrance he had seen her go in was gone.

People were sitting or standing around in shock. Some were covered in dirt and dust, some with blood. Bodies of the deceased were being covered with anything responders could find.

"Seren!" He ran to where the entrance of the building had been and began pulling chunks of concrete away, tossing them to the side effortlessly.

He heard groaning. "Anyone who is able, we have people trapped here!" He yelled.

A few people joined him in the search, tossing smaller chunks aside.

"Seren! It's Steve." He said. He grabbed a concrete slab and with his remaining strength, lifted it. A bare foot poked out from some fallen dry wall. Pressing his shoulder against the slab with a guttural cry, he shoved it back away from the foot.

"Hold on!" He cried, pulling away the dry wall.

Seren, unconscious and bleeding, was trapped under a strip of rebar. He pulled the rebar off of her and lifted her into his arms.

Very carefully, he stepped out of the debris and onto the sidewalk. He knelt down, supporting her with his knee.

"Seren." He tapped her face. She didn't respond. He immediately felt for a pulse and with a sigh of relief, he found it though it was faint.

The building rumbled, threatening further collapse. Steve lifted her once more into his arms. "Everyone get back!" He yelled.

"Lo..ki...." She whimpered.

"It's all over now. You're safe." He said.

Her head lolled back and she coughed. A tiny drop of blood appeared at the corner of her mouth. "I...need..him..." She said. "Please..."

He nodded. "Alright."

OoOoOo

Loki rolled to one side and pulled himself out of the crater, resting on the nearby step.

To his dismay, a myriad of weapons was pointed at him. He was to tired to fight and lacked the reasonable information to argue.

"If it's all the same to you. I'll have that drink." He said.

The door to the penthouse was kicked open and Captain Rogers entered carrying Seren.

Loki tried to stand up but was forced to stay when agent Romanoff cocked her guns. "I wouldn't." She said.

Thor rushed to where Steve had laid her. "What happened?"

"The building she was hiding in collapsed. I don't know the extent of the injuries, but it looks bad. She's asking for him." Rogers replied, nodding at Loki.

Loki stared at her, concern clear upon his face.

"Seren.." Thor said.

Her eyes fluttered open. "Thor.." She tried to sit up but Thor pressed a hand to her chest.

"Don't get up. I'm here." He said.

"Loki...He was being controlled too..." She said.

Thor shook his head. "Don't worry about that right now."

"No! His eyes...they've always been green. They..." She winced. "They have been blue since he took me from Florida..."

Thor considered her words carefully. "Alright. We'll look into it but in the meantime you should rest."

Her eyes closed and Thor turned to face Loki. "You wanted a throne at any cost, did you?" He asked angrily.

Loki swallowed hard. "Is she-"

"She's still alive no thanks to you." Rogers said, glaring at him.

"She needs a hospital." Romanoff said.

"Our healers will tend to her. We leave now." Thor answered, pulling Loki to his feet.

"Can I see her?" Loki asked.

"No. You've done enough." Thor said. He cuffed Loki's wrists.

"I need to know she's alright!" Loki protested.

"I don't know if she is." Thor growled. He clamped a muzzle over Loki's mouth, inciting an angered glare. "A gift from father." Thor responded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delayed update and super huge thanks to those who have stuck with me and commented this far. It really means a lot! I just got a new job as head nurse for a HUGE company so there may be delays but this story will continue! As always, comments are welcome!