Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Seventeen

Loki kept his eyes glued on Seren, unconscious in Thor's arms. He wanted so badly to hold her that it hurt.

Odin and a throng of armed einherjar were waiting for them when they landed on the rainbow bridge.

"Take him to the first level holding cell." Odin commanded. "And take the girl to the healing rooms. I want Eir to personally see to her care."

A soldier lifted Seren into his arms and together with Loki and his guards, they left.

Queen Frigga stood just behind her husband. She smiled up at Thor. "I'm so happy you both have made it home." She said, brushing his hair back.

Thor smiled, his exhaustion apparent on his face. "I'm glad to be home, mother." He leaned down and kiss her cheek.

Once Loki was gone, Odin turned his attention to Thor. "I trust you are well."

Thor sighed and looked down at Mjolnir. "I am. Thank you."

"And Midgard?"

"Safe. For now."

"Good." Odin sighed and beckoned Thor to join him as he walked towards the castle. "I know you must be weary after this battle. However, I want you to meet me in the war room as soon as you've washed up and eaten. There is much to discuss."

Thor nodded his head slowly. "Alright."

OoOoOo

"Bring us something to drink." Odin called as Thor entered the war room. He pulled the chair out and sat opposite his father.

"How goes the fighting on Alfheim?" Thor asked, setting Mjolnir on the table.

"It continues. If not worse. And now I'm getting reports of attacks against the people of Vanaheim."

"Vanaheim? Does Hogun know?"

"Yes. I pulled him out Alfheim and sent him home to fight for his people. Sif went with him. Volstagg and Fandral still fight in Alfheim. Loki's actions had a ripple effect. It has caused the nine to see us as faltering, unstable. I will need you to help bring order."

Thor's brow furrowed. "Yes of course."

"The Bifrost's repair is almost complete. Once it is done, I am confident that all of this madness will come to an end."

Thor nodded, unsure of what to say next.

"What punishment would you give Loki for his crimes?" Odin asked.

Thor ran his hand down his face, pulling tightly at his beard. "Why ask me?" He asked wearily.

"I ask you because someday you'll be king, and you'll have to make a decision like this. I'd like to know what you would do if it were up to you." Odin replied, plucking a goblet from the servant's tray.

The servant bowed and offered Thor a drink, but Thor waved her away and leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. "He's done terrible things. How do I begin-"

"Your judgement must be solid and fair. To soft a penalty, you will be seen as weak and lose the respect of your people. To harsh, and you replace their respect with fear."

Thor chuckled ruefully. "But he's my brother."

"Yes and he is my son, whether he wishes to accept it or not. But that should hold no weight when passing fair judgement. If it had been you, I would punish you no differently than any other man. One must set aside personal feelings in such matters."

"I wouldn't put him to death." Thor said.

"Why not? He's killed thousands, on two separate realms. He tried to kill you. Twice."

"Is there no rehabilitation that we can provide? I know my brother is in there somewhere."

"Are you willing to risk more innocent lives on that belief?"

Thor squeezed his eyes shut, his fatigue setting in. "I would lock him in the dungeons with the other prisoners. No, alone."

"Alright. For how long? A century? A millennium?"

"I don't know."

"But you must know! You must be solid in your judgement! Unwavering."

At that moment, something Seren had said clicked. Thor looked up at his father. "He's smart."

"I don't negate that fact." Odin replied.

"Father, Loki is smart. Too smart to surround himself with those creatures. Loki would never willingly ally himself with something as mindless as those beasts. He seemed at war with himself, I saw it with my own eyes."

"You're saying he was not in control of his own actions?"

"I don't believe he was. Not entirely." He said.

Odin leaned forward, lacing his fingers together. "You have proof of this?"

"His eyes. They have always been green, have they not?" Thor asked.

"They have."

"They were blue this time. Bright blue, unnatural. And he looked sick. His skin was pale and he sweat as if he had a fever." He was beginning to feel a glimmer of hope that his father would realize he was speaking the truth.

"Loki is a master sorcerer. One of the first things he leaned from your mother was how to change his appearance. How do you know this isn't the case?" Odin asked.

Thor's face fell and he nearly slumped back in his seat like a child. He pinched the bridge of his nose as a sudden headache appeared. "Lock him in the dungeons in a room where he cannot hide. I don't care how long it takes. But I feel like we're missing something. Leave him there until we can figure it out."

Father and son stared each other down for a moment before Odin finally spoke. "This is your decision?"

Thor sighed, exhausted. "If I were king, yes."

Odin nodded. "Very well. Thank you for your input. You should rest. We will go forward with Loki's sentencing tomorrow."

Thor stood, feeling as if he were made of lead. "Will you consider what I have said? Seren noticed his eyes and the state he was in, so I know it wasn't just me."

Odin held his hand up. "Go. Rest. We will reconvene tomorrow."

Thor bowed his head respectfully and took his leave.

Once in the throne room he looked around and took in a deep breath. The hour was growing late and save for a servant or two, he was alone. The large silk drapes that hung from the vaulted ceiling billowed in the warm breeze. He was exhausted and was quickly being beckoned to sleep by the quiet atmosphere.

Rubbing his face, he took a left out of the throne room and down a flight of stairs to the healing rooms.

"Prince Thor. Is everything alright?" One of the apprentices asked.

"I've come to check on Lady Seren." He said.

"The lady is asleep, her injuries were severe." The apprentice answered.

"Lali, please fetch some sandrine ointment for the patient in chamber two." Eir, the lead healer said quietly. She wore a plain white apron over her yellow gown. Her dark brown and gray- streaked hair was pulled into a bun.

Lali bowed her head. "Yes mistress."

"Prince Thor, are you well?" Eir asked. "You look exhausted."

Thor sighed and forced a smile. "I am. Needless to say I've not had much sleep of late. I've come to check on Lady Seren. How is she?"

Eir wiped her hands on her apron and smoothed her hair back. "The young lady sustained injuries of a severe nature. She had several broken ribs, one of which punctured her lung. She also showed signs of a concussion. We've done everything we can and now the rest is up to her."

"Can I see her?" He asked.

Eir smiled. "Of course." She led him to a small room with a single window. Several candles were lit and there was a strong aroma of lavender.

Seren lay in a bed under the open window. Her face was bruised and her chest was wrapped in bandages. Thor looked at Eir.

"We heal the more severe wounds. It's best to let the body heal on its own. She hasn't woken yet, but her aura is strong. She'll survive this." She explained.

"Can she hear us now?" He asked.

"Yes. You can speak to her. If you'll excuse me, I have a few things that require my attention. Please call if you need me."

"Of course. Thank you for everything." Thor waited for her to leave before sitting on the stool next to Seren's bed. He looked her over and shook his head. "Father wants to sentence Loki tomorrow. I'm inclined to agree with your theory. I've not lost all faith in Loki. Not yet."

She didn't respond. For a moment, the subtle rise and fall of her chest was the only sign that she was alive.

OoOoOo

Several hours later, Thor woke to the healer apprentice shaking him gently. "What is it? Is everything alright?" He asked.

"Forgive me my Prince, you were..." Her face flushed. "Snoring. Loudly."

Thor rubbed his face. "My apologies."

"No apology is needed sir. Would you like me to clear a bed for you?" She asked.

Thor stood, popping his neck. "Thank you, but it's unnecessary. Please inform me if her condition changes."

Lali bowed her head. "Of course your highness."

OoOoOo

Thor entered the war room to find his father surrounded by his advisors. "You called for me?"

Odin glanced up from a map he was holding. "Yes. I'm sending you to Vanaheim. Sif and Hogun were unable to stop the fighting. Hogun had been wounded."

"How go the repairs on the Bifrost?" Thor asked.

Mundir, chief engineer, spoke up. "At the request of the Allfather, my men and I have worked through the night. If we keep at this pace, we expect the Bifrost to be complete within the week."

Odin stood. "It requires great power to control the Tesseract. Once I send you to Vanaheim, I cannot bring you back without taking a great deal of my own power. You will be essentially stranded until the Bifrost is fixed."

"What of Loki?" Thor asked quietly once his father was beside him.

"His sentencing will be postponed until the conflict in Vanaheim is resolved." Odin replied coolly.

Thor nodded. "Very well."

OoOoOo

"Who do I have to kill for a meal?" Loki called from his cell. It had been nearly a week since his return and for reasons unknown to him, they were keeping him in the tiny holding cell.

A guard peered through the barred window on the cell door. "Quiet."

Loki stood and walked to the door. "I've not eaten yet and its well past breakfast."

"You'll get it when it gets here." The guard snapped.

"I wish to speak to my brother."

"Prince Thor is away at the moment."

Loki narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean?"

"It's none of your business."

"Very well. I wish to speak with my mother."

"The queen wouldn't be caught dead in these parts. Now shut your mouth!"

A hooded figure rounded the corner.

"Jormik, I thank you for your concern, but I do not appreciate you speaking for me." Queen Frigga pulled back her cloak.

Jormik immediately bowed his head. "Forgive me my queen."

Frigga touched his shoulder gently and offered him a warm smile. "You are forgiven. Normally you would be correct. I wouldn't usually venture down here. But the circumstances are quite unusual." She looked through the cell bars at Loki. "And he is my son. Please allow me entry."

Jormik fumbled for the key and held the door for her as she entered.

Frigga turned to him. "Lock the door and leave us."

Jormik hesitated but with a stern look from the queen, he bowed his head and did as she asked.

Loki backed away towards the small window, allowing room for his mother. She looked around the tiny cell. "How are you?" She asked.

Loki clasped his hands behind his back. "Life is a dream." He quipped.

Frigga frowned. "Loki-"

He turned away, looking out the window. "Don't. I don't wish to talk about it."

"Good. I don't wish to hear about it. I came because I know your pride has stopped you from inquiring about Seren." She said.

Loki turned, his face softening. "And?"

Frigga shook her head slightly. "It's not good Loki."

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Eir has had to do quite a bit of work on her. She managed to correct the worse of the injuries, but she hasn't woken up."

Loki slowly lowered himself down onto the edge of his cot. "Will she live?"

"All signs point to yes, but Eir speculates that she has lost her will." Frigga sat opposite him.

"Her will?"

"To live. Now I don't know what happened on Midgard, but if this is any insight, you have a lot to rectify."

Loki had quit listening. All of his thoughts were on Seren. She was dying because of him.

"You can start with her." Frigga said.

"What?" Loki snapped out of his stupor.

"She loves you and she has lost her will to live. You need to give her something to fight for. She needs you." Frigga placed her hand on his cheek, her eyes shimmering with emotion. "And you need her."

Loki looked at her, fighting to keep a straight face. "How do you propose I do this?"

"Do you remember nothing I've taught you?" Frigga closed her eyes.

Loki felt a hand on his shoulder and turned quickly. An illusion of the queen sat on his other side. "Illusion..." Loki whispered. He lifted his wrists, revealing his shackles. "Like I said."

The real Frigga pulled a key out from her breast plate. "Thor has been sent away. I have convinced your father to postpone your sentencing until he returns. I'll take you to see her. You must do whatever you can to help her."

Loki looked up at the ceiling and sighed. "Alright. What would you have me do?"

OoOoOo

"She needs you. This girl is your match in every way. You must fix this." Frigga said.

Eir held the door open for the queen. She looked at her friend. "How do you know he won't try to escape?"

Frigga patted her arm. "I know his love for her is more than that." She answered.

OoOoOo

Loki watched as the two women exited the room, locking the door behind them. He crossed his arms and watched her body as it floated just over the mattress. It was a common practice by the healers of Asgard for patients who were comatose to prevent complications and improve circulation. Several large crystals were on different sides of her, providing the sustaining energy.

Her hair swirled around her as if she were under water and her face was pale and bruised. Her lip was stolen and red.

Slowly he walked around the bed, watching her from every angle. When he reached the head of her bed he reached out slowly and wove his hand in her long, dark hair. The energy surrounding her felt like a mist on his skin.

"I know you better than to think you've given up..." He whispered, lowering his face down towards her own. He closed his eyes and breathed in her scent, his lips hovering just over the skin of her neck.

"Come back to me Seren..." He whispered. When she didn't respond, he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against him.

Her head fell back and her arms hung limp. He leaned forward, pressing his forehead to her cheek. "I need you. I can't do any of this without you." He squeezed his eyes shut, fighting back tears.

She stirred weakly and her eyes fluttered open. "Ouch.."

Loki's eyes shot open and he lay her down on the bed, looking her over. "What's wrong? Are you hurt?"

"You're squeezing me..." She said.

He smiled and adjusted his arm. "I'm sorry. How do you feel?"

She looked up at him. "Who is Thanos?"

Loki nearly choked on his own breath. "I don't-"

"Don't tell me you don't know who he is. I can tell by your face that you do." She said, her voice hoarse.

Loki brushed her hair out of her face and sighed. "I do. But we'll have to discuss it at a later time."

She opened her mouth to protest but he placed a finger over her lips. "I swear to you, I will tell you everything when the time is right. But you must trust me."

She frowned and pushed herself away, sitting next to him on the bed. "You've made it incredibly difficult to trust you, Loki. You betrayed me." She said, looking down at her feet.

"I never meant-"

"To touch me with that stupid scepter? To try to control my mind?! I feel like I don't know who you are anymore! And..." She started to cry. "I don't want to know the new you." She laid back down.

Loki looked down at her sadly. "Seren please. Don't do this to me. Not now."

"Why not?? It's nothing compared to the bullshit you put me through!" She sucked in a deep breath in an attempt to calm herself. "Get out."

"What? Seren no-"

"GET OUT NOW OR SO HELP ME I'LL THROW YOU OUT MYSELF!!" She screamed.

The door opened and Eir and queen Frigga rushed in. Eir hurried to her side and sat next to her. Seren lay her head on Eir's shoulder and sobbed.

"What is the matter?" Frigga asked, turning to Loki.

Loki frowned and stood. "I did what you wanted. She's awake. Now if you'd be so kind as to escort me back to my cell."

Frigga looked over at Seren with pity.

"Now mother." Loki snapped.

Frigga turned to him and exhaled slowly. "Very well. Cast your invisibility spell." She said.

Loki looked over his shoulder, stealing one last look at Seren, before cloaking himself in invisibility.

OoOoOo

"Loki. What happened?" Frigga asked.

Loki lowered himself down on his cot and rubbed his face. "I can't right now mother. I just can't." He said quietly.

"Very well." She lifted the hood of her cloak. "If you decide you want to talk, you can have Jormik notify me." She gently took his face in her warm hands. "I love you, my son." She placed a kiss on his forehead. When he did not reply, she excited the cell, closing the iron door behind her.

Loki clasped his hands together and pressed them to his lips as tears filled his eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment!!!