Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Nineteen

"What are you doing?! Let me go!" Seren struggled in the grasp of the soldiers. "I haven't done anything!"

None of them said a word. They ignored her as if she were not even there, dragging her down to the healing ward.

Eir stood with Odin and another healer. Seren's eyes widened. "Please don't erase my memories!" She pleaded.

The soldiers forced her down onto a table and strapped her down. "I'm terribly sorry my dear." Eir said as she initiated the soul forge.

Seren was quickly becoming hysterical. "I haven't done anything! Please don't do this to me!" She cried as Eir slipped a golden hoop resembling a crown over her head. "PLEASE! This isn't right and you know it!" She sobbed.

Eir looked at Odin once Seren was secure. "Proceed." He said.

Seren began to scream and beg, but Odin paid no attention. He turned to leave.

Seren lifted her head and looked at him. "This is wrong and you know it! Loki will never forgive you!" She sobbed quietly.

Odin paused and turned to look at her. "It may not be right, but it is necessary." He answered.

Seren squeezed her eyes shut and began to think of Loki, trying to hold on to his image.

OoOoOo

"Are the memories gone?"

Eir sighed. She and Odin stood outside Seren's room, watching through the window. "There is no magic strong enough to wipe one's memories. I can only alter them and block them out. Set up a wall of sorts. If strong enough, it will hold for the remainder of her short life."

"Very well."

"You realize one treatment will not be enough. She is very strong." Eir said.

Odin nodded. "As many as necessary. She knows things about us that no human should. It's for the best."

"Too many could harm her." Eir replied.

"Then do however many you can without harming her."

Eir bowed her head as Odin turned on his heel and left.

OoOoOo

Loki paced his cell impatiently. Seren should have been there by now and she was never late. He walked to the hidden door, searching for any way to open it.

"The only way to open it is from the outside."

Loki turned to see Frigga standing in the cell with him. "Mother." He raked his hand through his hair.

"You seem restless. What bothers you?" She asked.

He looked around at the cell walls. "Nothing."

"Come now. I know you better than that."

"Seren hasn't been by today. It's unlike her." He said.

"I'm sure she is fine. You shouldn't worry."

There was commotion outside of the cell in the main hall as another group of criminals was herded through. Loki watched as they passed.

"I see Odin continues to bring me new friends. How thoughtful." He said.

"The books I sent, do they not interest you?" She asked.

"Is that how I am to spend eternity? Reading?" He asked, distracted.

Frigga pursed her lips. "I’ve done everything in my power to make you comfortable."

Loki raked his hands through his hair again. Seren was never late. "Have you? Does Odin share your concern? Does Thor? It must be so inconvenient, them asking after me day and night."

"You know full well that your actions brought you here."

"My actions? I was merely giving truth to the lie that I’ve been fed my entire life. That I was born to be a king."

Frigga scoffed. "A king? A true king admits his faults. What of the lives you took on Earth?"

He was growing irritable with worry. "A mere handful compared to the number that Odin has taken himself."

"Your father-"

Loki spun around. "HE'S NOT MY FATHER!!" He yelled angrily.

Frigga's face softened. "Then am I not your mother?"

Her question took him by surprise and saddened him. He never was able to lie to her and to do so now would be unfair to himself. "You're not." He answered sadly.

A small laugh escaped her lips but the tears in her eyes shimmered as she walked towards him. "Always so perceptive about everyone but yourself." She held her hands out.

Loki immediately regretted his outburst and the pain it clearly caused her. He sighed and his shoulders slumped as he placed his hands over hers. The interaction caused her projection to fade.

Loki was left alone once more.

OoOoOo

Seren opened her eyes. Bright sunlight poured in through the open window of her room. Her head pounded and she suddenly felt as though she were going to vomit.

She pushed the blankets off of her and walked over to the window. The twin suns were shining brightly in the sky, causing the rainbow bridge to sparkle.

There was a knock at the door and a servant entered carrying a tray of food. She set the tray down, gave a quick curtsy and left without a word. Seren looked around the unfamiliar room. There were full bookshelves everywhere, and a beautiful wooden desk with pens and paper neatly placed.

She moved the food around on her plate after the first few bites left her feeling nauseous. There was a knock at the door.

"Come in." She said, pushing her plate away.

A woman with a yellow apron and her hair twisted into a bun high on her head entered. "I am Bryn. I've come to bring you to the healing ward."

Seren wrapped her shaw around her shoulders, sitting back in the chair. "For what reason?"

"You're still having headaches, yes?"

Seren nodded.

"This is to help them. Please come with me."

OoOoOo

Loki looked up from his book as another group of criminals was ushered into the dungeon by Fandral and Volstagg.

"My my, haven't the two of you been busy?" Loki said.

Fandral rolled his eyes. "Much more useful than you."

A handful of guards took the prisoners further back to their cells.

"Has order finally been brought to the realms?" Loki feigned interest.

"No thanks to you." Volstagg said. The two men turned to leave.

"Lady Seren, have you seen her?" Loki asked. He watched as the two men stopped dead in their tracks and stiffened up.

Fandral was the first to turn around. "I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure."

Loki stood and narrowed his eyes looking to Volstagg, who was acting suddenly very nervous. "Volstagg what do you know?"

Volstagg winced as he turned to Loki. "The lady Seren is...indisposed."

"Be quiet!" Fandral hissed.

Loki straightened up. "What do you mean indisposed? What's wrong with her?"

Volstagg opened his mouth to answer but Fandral interjected. "She is working in the healers ward."

"But you just said she was indisposed." Loki said.

Volstagg shifted his weight from one large foot to another, avoiding Loki's gaze. "Volstagg what do you know??" Loki demanded.

"Lady Seren-" Fandral punched Volstagg in the arm.

"Stop it!" Fandral said.

Volstagg punched him in his arm. "You stop it! He's going to find out either way!"

Loki could feel his heart rate speeding up. "What do you know?!" He barked.

"The lady Seren's memory has been erased." Volstagg replied quickly.

Loki felt as if the air had been knocked out of him and took a step back. "When?"

"Several weeks ago." Fandral answered.

Loki looked down, suddenly nauseous. Without another word to either of them, he turned and sat on his bed.

Volstagg and Fandral made their way towards the exit. Fandral shoved Volstagg. "Nice going."

Volstagg shoved Fandral in return, sending him stumbling to one side as they exited the dungeon.

OoOoOo

"They're calling for more herbs in the dungeon, some of the prisoners are ill. Seren can you deliver them for me?" Arga asked. She was a new healer with more knowledge than Seren, so she felt she was above such trivial tasks. It was late and most of the healers, Eir included, were out tending to the wounded who were still returning from other realms.

"Sure. Not like I was doing anything anyways." Seren replied dryly. She dropped her pestle with a clunk, took a bag of herbs in her arms and exited the healing ward.

The night was cool as she walked across the empty city. The taverns were alive and full of celebrating patrons. She could hear music and their cheers as she passed by the open windows.

She neared a breezeway connecting two taverns. A man with blonde hair stood talking to a woman with long brown hair. Two lovers no doubt. Seren have them a glance as she passed under the breezeway, heading for the dungeon entrance.

She pounded her fist on the large iron door. A small viewing window slid open.

"State your business." The guard said.

"I've brought the herbs you requested." She replied, lifting the bag.

He slid the window shut. She could hear the many locks clicking and the door groaned on its hinges as it opened.

"Than you for the late delivery." The guard said..

She shouldered the bag. "It's no problem. Which ones are sick?"

"A few of the prisoners from Vanaheim who were just brought in. A few who have been here for a while longer." He said.

She followed him past the cells. "You'll need to have them steep the herbs in hot water."

"Sorry my lady, we're not allowed to enter the cells."

"Then how do you propose we get the medicines to them?" She asked.

"There is a compartment on each cell that allows you to give them food or medicine. The cells are reinforced with magic that will render anyone who touches it, incapacitated until the necessary herbs are delivered to counteract it. It's on either side of the cell. This prevents the prisoner or anyone from the outside from helping them escape." The guard said.

They came to a cell where several prisoners were unconscious, foaming at the mouth and twitching slightly. "I'm guessing that's what happened?"

The guard laughed. "You guessed correctly."

"Well if they are incapacitated, who administers the remedy?"

"They do it themselves."

Seren looked at the downed prisoners. "How? They're barely conscious."

"The effects will wane enough for them to drink. Not to mention their mouths will feel as though they've swallowed a mouthful of dust straight from the valleys of Muspelheim."

Seren sighed. "Alright. Bring me some hot water."

OoOoOo

Loki groaned, opening his eyes. He lady on the floor next to the window of his cell. His head was throbbing and he felt as though he'd ingested a goblet of saw dust.

"Sir? Can you hear me?"

The voice sounded like it was coming through a tunnel. He rolled onto his side and pushed himself up into a sitting position. His head was spinning.

"Sir of you can hear me-"

"I AM NO SIR! I AM PRINCE LOKI OF ASG-" he spun around and his voice failed him.

Seren stood on the opposite side of the glass with a cup in her hand.

"Seren?" He crawled towards her.

She backed away slightly. "How do you know me?"

He felt as though he could cry. "Know you? I love you! Seren it's me, Loki." He patted his chest.

"Yes, I heard you. Prince Loki of Asgard. I think all of the kingdom heard you."

"You don't know who I am?" He asked.

Seren shrugged. "Prince Loki."

He shook his head. "No I'm more than that to you. Tell me you remember me!"

"Did you hit your head when you fell? You aren't making any sense." She said.

"I love you! I've known you all of your life! I saved you from drowning when you were 12! Do you remember nine of that?"

Seren's brow furrowed. There was something peculiar about him. She shook her head slightly, dismissing the feeling as her mind paying tricks on her. "I'm sorry, but I don't." She placed the cup of herbal tea in the small compartment and pushed it though. "You need to drink this. It will help with the headache and disorientation."

Loki's shoulders slumped. "I know you know me."

"I'm sorry, I don't."

"You do! You know me because I've memorized every part of your body! Because we've made love so many times-"

The guard hit the window with his spear. "That's enough out of you! Show some respect to the lady!"

Loki glared at him and then looked at her. "Search the bookshelf to the left of the bed and you will find your proof!"

"How do you know about the bookshelf??" She asked.

He smiled. "Because it is my room you sleep in."

OoOoOo

"Pay him no mind my lady. He isn't in his right mind." The guard said as he escorted her out.

Seren couldn't get the man's face out of her mind. He seemed so pitiful. She adjusted the bag on her shoulder. "Yes well, he seems pretty screwed up about something. I don't know if those herbs will help."

"Do you need me to send an escort with you?" He asked.

"No that's unnecessary. Thank you." She turned to walk away but paused. "Please call for me if he gets worse. Every one else is tending to the men wounded fighting in the other realms."

He nodded. "I can do that."

"Thank you."

OoOoOo

The walk back to the castle was a long one as she replayed the prince's words. What proof was there in her room? And why did he say it was his room? She'd been there as long as she could remember.

Daylight was just breaking as she pushed into her room. She dropped the herbs on a table by the foyer and paused to look at the room.

She tried to remember first coming to the room, but couldn't. She wasn't even sure why she was allowed to live here when the other healers lived in the healing ward.

She walked over to the bookshelf to the left of the bed and stared up at it. It was at least four feet taller than she was. She began to pull the books of one by one, flipping through their pages. About halfway up the shelf and near a hundred books later, she was about to give up when something caught her eye.

The rays from the twin suns were cresting over the horizon and reflecting off of something. Lifting her skirts, she climbed up onto the shelf until she was eye level with the shining object. It was in the corner of the shelf as if someone had simply thrown it there.

She reached back and plucked it from its hiding place. It was a silver necklace with a large amethyst stone hanging from it.

"How is this proof?" She mumbled to herself, stepping off the shelf.

She sat down on the edge of the bed, twisting the stone between her thumb and index finger. It didn't seem familiar at all.

Against her better judgement, she clasped the necklace around her neck, kicked off her slippers and fell back into the middle of the oversized bed.

OoOoOo

Seren woke with a scream as a jolt of pain ripped through her body. She looked around trying to find the cause.

"Seren! Don't move!"

Her wrists were bound behind her back and she was standing on the ledge of a very high cliff. All around her the land was dark and bleak. The sky had a strange green aura. She made the mistake of looking down. Below her was a bottomless pit.

"Don't look down Seren! Look at me!"

She looked straight ahead. Loki, the man from the dungeon stood across from her on the other side of the pit.

"What's going on?!" She cried.

"I don't know, but don't be afraid. I'm here." He said.

"How did I get here??" She asked, fighting back tears.

"I brought you here." A loud voice boomed.

She glanced up and could tell by Loki's face that he didn't know where the voice was coming from.

Loki looked around, his body ready for a fight. "Show yourself!" He yelled.

"Were you not warned? Did I not tell you that you would pay for your failure?" Seren stiffened as she felt a cold hand snake around her throat. "That I would make you wish for death?" She squeezed her eyes shut as the owner of the hand breathed his hot breath down her neck.

"Thanos! Don't touch her!" Loki cried.

Seren's eyes shot open. 'Thanos?' The name sparked a rush of images in her mind. The Prince looking at her from a different prison cell. Beasts flying through the air of a large city. People running and screaming. Loki looking down at her as they made love.

"Who are you to command me, boy?" Thanos growled angrily. He shoved Seren off the ledge.

Loki screamed, watching in horror as she plummeted to certain death.

OoOoOo

Seren sat up with a gasp, shaking slightly. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room. The dream had seemed too real.

She grabbed her robe and tied it around her waist. Grabbing a lantern from the foyer, she quietly slipped out of her room. The halls were once more empty save for the occasional passing guard.

She tried to shake of the fear that the nightmare had caused by walking through the castle. She rounded a corner and passed the king's chambers. Two guards stood with their staffs barring the entrance.

She gave them a polite nod as she passed them. Turning down a corridor, she found herself walking for quite a while until she came to a dead end. To her right was a damp stairwell. She looked behind her. Assuming it was a servant's access to the kitchens, she turned down the stairs.

There was a cool draft that had her pulling at her robe. The flame of the lantern flickered. She was shivering by the time she reached the door. She pushed through it and came to an abrupt stop.

The room was all white decorated with a few bits of furniture.

Prince Loki sat on the edge of his bed, black hair falling in his eyes as he looked up. "Seren?" He stood quickly.

Seren backed away, causing him to pause. "I won't hurt you." He said quietly.

"How do I know that?" She asked.

"I suppose you will have to trust me." He lowered himself back onto the bed. "Why are you here?"

"I don't know." She said. "I had a nightmare-"

He looked up at her. "About Thanos?"

She was taken aback. "How did you know that?"

"Because I had the same one. And it isn't a dream. It's a warning." He said.

She shifted uncomfortably. "What do you mean?"

He gestured to a chair in front of the bed. "You can sit down, I'll only bite if you ask me to." He said. At the blush in her cheeks he laughed. "I'm only joking. But you should sit."

She slowly lowered herself into the chair. "You had the same dream?" She asked, skeptical.

"The one where Thanos pushes you into the pit while I watch?" He asked.

Seren shuddered. "That's the one." She crossed her arms.

"You remembered. I knew it." He said.

"I saw images of things. I wouldn't call it remembering." She said. The image of them in bed caused her heart to skip and she pressed her hand to her throat as she cleared it.

Loki saw the amethyst stone hanging around her neck. "I see you found your necklace."

"How do we know it's mine?"

"Because I gave it to you several years ago. The night we confessed our love for one another."

Seren stared at him. "Why do I not remember any of this?"

Loki frowned. "Because my father wanted to punish me for my foolishness."

"Why would he do something so cruel? He doesn't seem cruel." She said.

"What were you doing before you began to aid the healers?" He asked.

Seren's mouth opened to respond but she couldn't find an answer.

"Who were your parents? Where did you grow up?"

"I...don't have to tell you that." She said.

"No. You don't. But you've confirmed what I said previously. You can't remember. You are from Midgard. Your parents died when you were little. You were raised by your grandparents. On Midgard. Ask my mother. She favored you and will not withhold the truth." He said.

Seren's head was beginning to ache. She closed her eyes, trying to make sense of his words. She tried to remember, but could only see darkness. Loki slid out of the bed onto his knees, inches from where she sat and took her hand in his. "I will do whatever it takes to bring you back. You don't know it now, but I love you. And I will continue loving you until my last breath."

She was trembling as he inched closer to her, his lips so close. Abruptly she stood, nearly knocking him over. "I have to go..." She said.

Loki sat back on his legs and watched her head towards the door. "You know where I am. You can come here anytime you wish." He said.

She gave him a quick nod and closed the door behind her.

OoOoOo

"Seren, you're looking a bit pale. Is everything alright?" Queen Frigga asked.

The two women strolled through the palace gardens as the sunlight lit their path. Seren suddenly felt nervous. She picked at the petals of a yellow flower she'd just picked.

"I didn't sleep well at all last night." She replied.

"What troubles you?" She asked.

Seren nearly dropped the flower and shrugged her shoulders. "It was just a nightmare."

"Sometimes it is best to talk about it." Frigga said.

"I'm not from here, am I?" Seren blurted out.

Frigga hesitated in her steps and looked at Seren. "Why do you ask?"

"I was delivering medicine to the prisoners-"

Frigga smiled softly. "Loki."

Seren looked up at her. "He told me that you would tell me the truth..."

"And I will." She stroked her cheek and brushed her hair out of her face. "You precious girl. I knew your love for him was stronger than magic." She leaned forward and kissed her forehead. "Go to the war room. I will be there shortly and I will explain everything."

OoOoOo

Loki lay on his bed, tossing a cup into the air and catching it, waiting and hoping for Seren to return.

There was some commotion a few cells down. And then the screams began. When the explosion shook the bed he lay on, he stood and walked to the window.

In the cell across from him, a beastly creature used the head of another prisoner to short out the force field. The beast dropped the deceased prisoner to the ground and stepped out. Immediately the alarm sounded.

Two guards rushed him in an attempt to subdue him. He lifted them by their throats. Loki watched with cautious curiosity as it used some dark power to burn them to death. The beast then proceeded to open the cells..

Prisoners swarmed around them in their escape. The beast stopped in front of Loki's cell. Loki have him a predatory glare.

Without a word, the monster turned to walk away.

Seeing a miniscule opportunity to cause further trouble for Odin he blurted out, "You might want to take the stairs to the left."

OoOoOo

Seren had just slipped into the war room when the alarms sounded. Fearing being caught, she ran to one of the columns and hid behind the drapes that decorated it.

"Remember Jane, don't say a word."

Seren could just make out the queen as she and another girl entered.

The sound of the door bursting open caused Seren to jump. She flattened herself against the column and watched as two beings entered the room.

Frigga placed herself between the men and the woman named Jane. "Stand down, creature, and you may still survive this." She said, brandishing a sword.

"I have survived worse, woman." The man said.

"Who are you?" She demanded.

"I am Malekith, and I would have what is mine." He answered.

The girl rushed over to the same column where she was hiding and paused, clearly unsure of what she should do.

Frigga struck out with the sword, hitting Malekith across the face. He quickly drew his sword and the two began to fight. The queen was quick and deadly with her weapon as she danced around the room, blocking his attack at every turn. She disarmed him and pressed her sword to his throat, but before she could kill him the giant creature that had accompanied him grabbed her by the throat and lifted her into the air.

Seren clamped her hand over her mouth so as to not give herself away.

With the queen out of the way, Malekith slowly made his way towards Jane. "You have something, child. Give it back." He said.

She pressed herself against the column as he reached out for her. His hand passed right through her and Seren watched in shock as Jane's body dissolved into nothing.

"WITCH!" Malekith yelled. He turned quickly and stalked over to Frigga. "Where is the Aether?!"

Frigga smirked. "I'll never tell."

Malekith was suddenly calm. "I believe you."

Seren screamed as the creature that held the queen plunged its sword into her back. He withdrew the sword and Queen Frigga fell lumpy to the floor, blood tricking from her mouth.

The two creatures turned towards her, but never had a chance to attack. Seemingly out of nowhere, a fierce bolt of lightning struck Malekith in the side of his face as he turned to avoid it. He and his companion jumped from the balcony as Thor made to chase after them.

Seren immediately rushed to the queen's side, trying to apply pressure to the wound. Frigga's body trembled weakly under her touch. She was blinded by her tears as she realized the wound was fatal. Not even the strongest of magic could repair the damage.

"Frigga?"

Seren looked up into face of the King. Odin knelt next to her, cradling Frigga's body in his arms. He pressed his face to hers, stroking her cheek as he whispered to her.

Thor turned and locked eyes with Seren, his grief written on his face. Hammer hanging loosely in his hand, he joined his father, dropping to his knees.

"She's gone...my wife is gone." Odin said, his face still pressed against hers as he continued to stroke her cheek.

Unexpectedly, a sob that sounded more like choking, erupted from Thor. He dropped the hammer and leaned back, nearly falling over as he began to cry.

Seren gripped the table and used it to stay herself as she stood. "She fought bravely, until her last breath my King." She said through her tears.

Odin did not respond. He stared of into space as he absentmindedly caressed the now cold cheek of his fallen wife.

OoOoOo

Once Eir had come to collect the queen's body, Seren slipped out and began to run. She quickly found herself standing in the hidden stairwell, just outside Loki's cell.

She didn't know why, but she felt she needed to be there. The sound of crashing furniture startled her and she entered quickly. Loki stood in the center of the cell, his chest rising as he breathed quickly. His chair and books, bed and table were scattered everywhere.

"Loki..." She said quietly.

She watched him tense up and he turned slowly, his eyes meeting hers. Her hands and gown were covered with blood.

"Are you-"

She shook her head. "It's not my blood..." She whispered.

The grief in his eyes broke her heart. She walked to him and wrapped her arms around him. He slumped against her and they slid to the floor as he began to cry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment!!