Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Twenty

"What are you doing here?" Loki asked when Seren pushed her way into his cell.

"If I remember correctly, not three days ago you told me to come whenever I wanted to." She said, holding her cloak in her arms.

Loki pushed himself up on his bed. His eyes had dark circles under them and they were bloodshot.

"Have you been sleeping?" She asked.

He shook his head, keeping his gaze on the ground. Seren walked to him and sat next to him. "Your mother's funeral is today..." She said quietly.

Loki chuckled bitterly. "She wasn't my mother."

"What? Of course she was. Why would you say such a thing?"

"Because it's true. She was not my birth mother."

"But she loved you just the same. And I can tell you loved her just as much. You don't have to share the same blood to be family. Here." She handed him the cloak.

"What's this?"

"My cloak. Your mother gave it to me. I don't remember why...But it renders its wearer invisible."

"It was my cloak." He said, examining the fabric. "Why do I need it?"

"Because you are going to your mother's funeral." Seren said, meeting his gaze.

"And how do you propose we attempt this feat?"

"Put it on and go."

His lips turned up at the corners in a weak smile. "Put it on and go...You do realize all of the einherjar of Asgard will be there?"

She nodded. "And so will you."

"And where will you be?"

Seren looked down. "I'm not going."

"And why not? How can you try do hard to get me to go and then not go yourself?"

"She was your mother, not mine." She said quietly.

"But she loved you just as much. You may not remember, but you've been a part of our lives nearly all of yours. She cared for you very much." He crossed his arms. "I won't go if you don't go."

Seren pursed her lips and exhaled through her nose. "Fine. But we have to stay at the back of the crowd. If anyone becomes suspicious, it will be my ass."

"I've told you before, you may not remember, I will never let anything happen to you." He said, leaning towards her.

She kept her eyes locked on his as he kissed her gently on the lips. "Thank you for this." He whispered.

OoOoOo

Loki stopped in front of a massive mirror before exiting the palace. Seren had been right. The cloak made him invisible. With a deep breath, he slipped out of the entrance as a guard opened it.

The city was eerily quiet as he hurried through the streets towards the waterfront. The suns had completely set by the time he arrived. To him it appeared that every man, woman, and child had come to pay their respects. There was literally nowhere to stand. He looked around, debating on shoving his way through when he spotted a ladder lying against a nearby shop. Immediately he ascended it, stepping onto the roof.

His throat tightened as he looked out at the body of the only mother he'd ever known, lying on a floating pyre of flowers with a golden silk shroud over her face. Her hands rested on her chest with her sword under them.

Movement in the crowd below drew his attention. Seren in a golden cloak was weaving through the crowd, looking around with wide eyes.

"Seren!" He whispered loudly. When she didn't answer, he leaned over the edge of the rooftop. "Seren!" He called louder.

She looked up and he pulled the hood back, momentarily coming out of hiding. She looked around quickly, lifted the hood of her cloak and climbed up. He took her hand and helped her over the edge.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to come." He whispered.

She looked up at him. "Truthfully, I wasn't. But..I didn't want you to have to go through this alone. No one should have to." She replied, looking out at the queen. Her boat was floating out sea.

Loki turned his attention back to the water as a single burning arrow sailed through the night sky, igniting the boat. Hundreds of flaming arrows followed, igniting the boats of the hundreds of citizens who had lost their lives.

His eyes watered as Odin slammed the but of Gungnir against the dock, causing the queen's body to turn into a bright light.

Seren's hand slipped into his and it felt right, familiar. He gripped her hand tightly and together they watched solemnly as hundreds of white orbs were sent into the air by the mourners.

OoOoOo

"Do you have to go?" Loki asked as they entered his cell.

Seren exhaled through her nose. "I can't stay long."

"I'll take whatever time with you that I can get." He said, handing her his cloak. "Why did you help me?"

She looked down at her feet. "I don't know, I guess it just felt right."

"What do you mean?" He asked.

She looked up at him. "It felt wrong not doing it. I wouldn't want to go through something like that alone. I wouldn't want you to either." They stood in awkward silence until Seren finally spoke up. "What did you do to get locked up?"

Loki cringed. "That is a long story..." He said scratching the back of his neck.

"One involving that guy from my nightmare? Thanos?"

"Yes." He said. "I was out of my mind..." He said quietly.

"Why?"

"Because I found out that Odin had kept my true identity hidden from me. He raised me to fear the very thing I was."

"And what is that?" She asked.

Loki looked at her, unsure of what to say.

"I can't remember much, but I feel like you once told me you would never lie to me." She said, sitting on the edge of his bed.

His brow furrowed. "Of all the things to remember." He sat in the chair before her and sighed. "You are correct. I swore I'd never lie to you. I am a Jotun. My kind are sworn enemies of Asgard."

"What's the difference between Jotuns and Asgardians? You look normal to me." She said. She balled the cloak up in her arms and rested her chin on it.

Loki tapped his fingers on his knees, suddenly nervous. "If I show you, you'll freak out, as you used to say."

"You haven't scared me yet." She said. "How bad can it be? Do you have a tail?" She smiled, straining her neck to look behind him.

"I most certainly do not." He sighed and stood. "Just...stay calm. I won't hurt you."

"Ok. I believe you."

He took in a breath and closed his eyes, mentally retracting his Asgardian glamour. He felt the familiar tug on his skin as the runes appeared on his body. And then everything was still. He opened one eye and then both, surprised to find Seren standing inches from him.

She didn't look scared. She looked at him in amazement, eyes looking over him from head to toe. She raised her hand, hovering just over the exposed skin of his chest where his tunic opened.

On instinct, he took her hand and pressed it to his chest and she gasped, her eyes meeting his now red ones. His breathing had increased at the feeling of her skin on his.

"You're so cold..." She whispered.

He smirked. "I've been told."

She brushed the fingers of her other hand over the scars on his face.

"You aren't afraid?" He asked.

She shook her head. "Blue is my favorite color..." She whispered.

He pulled her to him, but it was her that initiated the breathtaking kiss. She wrapped her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss, her body pressing against his own. Loki's eyes rolled back and he was about to lose himself when the reality of the past days events stopped him. He slowly backed his head away.

"Seren-"

She brought her fingers to her lips, gasping. "I'm sorry!" She whispered. "I don't know what that was."

He took his face in her hands and kissed her forehead, willing his body to assume its Asgardian form once more. "No!" He sighed, kissing her cheek as well. "Never apologize." He lifted her chin, forcing her to look at him. Her cheeks flushed and it was all he could do to keep from taking her right there. "I love you. Know that I will always love you. But now isn't the time, as much as I truly want to."

She pursed her lips and smiled. "I should go." She whispered.

Loki swallowed hard. "Yes. You should."

She dropped her hands to her sides and backed away towards the door. "Good night Loki."

"Sweet dreams." He replied. He watched as she closed the door behind her.

Immediately the silence began to take its toll on him and he wished he hadn't sent her away. He looked around at the books and pillows that littered the floor. Books his mother had given him.

He kneeled down and began picking them up. He stared down at the tattered remnants and tears filled his eyes. Frigga was gone and she wasn't coming back. Seren was there, but wasn't.

He clenched the pages and let out an angry, animalistic growl as a wave of energy reverberated throughout the cell, breaking all of the furniture and scattering bits of wood and glass around like a storm.

OoOoOo

Loki stood with his hands behind his back, watching with a smirk as Thor emerged from the shadows. "Thor. After all this time, and now you come to visit me." He leaned forward menacingly. "Why? Have you come to gloat? To mock?"

Thor, looking exhausted, was unphased. "Loki enough. No more illusions."

Loki closed his eyes and bent his head, disappearing with a ripple of magic. The illusion of his pristine cell faded away, revealing a room that more closely resembled an animal cage. Loki sat against the opposite wall, his foot bleeding, his clothing torn, his hair a mass of tangles.

"Now you see me brother." He said quietly. "Did she suffer?"

Thor sighed, fighting the spark in his brain that screamed for him to be happy that Loki still called him brother. "I did not come here to share our grief. Instead I offer you the chance of a far richer sacrament."

Loki leaned his head against the wall. "Go on."

"I know you seek vengeance as much as I do. You help me escape Asgard and I will grant it to you; vengeance. And afterward, this cell."

"Oh but I want vengeance for more than mother. They erased Seren's memory." Loki said.

"I had nothing to do with that. I didn't know they were going to do it." Thor said.

"I find that hard to believe."

"They did it while I was away because they knew I'd intervene! She was my friend too."

"She was more than that to me!!" Loki snarled.

"I don't have to vindicate myself to you!" Thor yelled.

Loki chuckled bitterly, falling back against the wall. "You must be truly desperate to come to me for help. What makes you think you can trust me?"

"I don’t." He replied, taking a calming breath. "But Mother did. Seren did. But you should know that when we fought each other in the past, I did so with the glimmer of hope that my brother was still in there somewhere. That hope no longer exists to protect you. You betray me and I will kill you."

Loki resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "When do we start?"

Thor looked slightly taken aback. "I honestly wasn't expecting you to agree. Truth be told, I hadn't thought that far ahead. There's no way to get you out without alerting father."

Loki suddenly burst out laughing, unable to come up with any snide remarks.

"I can get him out."

The two men turned to see Seren with her cloak over her head. "I did it earlier."

Thor shot Loki a questioning look. "Mother's funeral?"

Loki nodded.

"How did you do it?" Thor asked. "Have you regained your memories?"

"No....But I found a hidden passage." She said.

"And a cloak." Loki replied. "Makes you invisible."

"Show me." Thor said.

"Ok. But only if I can come too." She said.

"No!" The brothers said in unison. Loki was instantly on his feet.

"Then I guess you're on your own! Good luck with the alarms." She snapped, her hands on her hips.

"It's too dangerous Seren." Loki said.

"I don't care. I want my memories back and you are the key. Where you go, I go." She said.

"Done." Thor said.

"No!" Loki glared at him. "Undone!"

"You aren't in any position to negotiate!" Seren cried.

"Then I just won't help." Loki said, crossing his arms.

"Will you show me the passage?" Thor asked her. She nodded. Thor looked up at Loki. "She'll lead me to you and I'll drag you out."

"I don't want something to happen to you. Why are you being so stubborn?" He asked, looking down at her.

She narrowed her eyes at him. "I learned from the best."

OoOoOo

"Stay by me at all times." Loki said, tucking her hair behind her ear.

Seren nodded. "What exactly is the plan?"

He draped the cloak over her shoulders and the hood over her head. "Stay invisible so no one recognizes you, we'll hear the plan as soon as Thor comes up with one." He said, looking at his brother.

Thor stood in the hidden passageway, hammer in hand. "There is a plan. Starting with you following my lead in being silent."

He turned and began to walk away. Loki fell into step beside him, feeling exhilarated with the sudden freedom. Seren struggled to keep up as their legs were much longer than hers.

"You're much to happy right now." Thor said.

"It's mischievous. I thrive on it." Loki replied with a smile. "And this is so unlike you, brother. So clandestine. Are you sure you wouldn’t rather just punch your way out?"

Thor sighed. "If you keep speaking I just might."

"Fine. As you wish. I’m not even here." Loki transformed himself into an einherjar. "Is this better?"

Seren watched in amazing as Loki flaunted his magical abilities.

"It’s better company at least."

"Still, we could be less conspicuous." He returned to his normal form. "Mmm brother, you look ravishing."

Thor looked down and realized he'd been transformed into the lady Sif. "It will hurt no less when I kill you in this form." He replied, not amused.

"Very well. Perhaps you prefer one of your new companions, given that you seem to like them so much." Loki suddenly took the form of Captain Steve Rogers, one of Thor's closest allies. "Oh, this is much better. Costume’s a bit much, it’s so tight! But the confidence! I can feel the righteousness surging! Hey, wanna have a rousing discussion about truth, honor, patriotism? God bless America-"

Seren came to a sudden stop, colliding with Thor's back as he grabbed Loki and slammed him against a pillar. He covered Loki's mouth with his hand.

"What?" He snapped when Thor removed his hand. Thor turned slightly, signaling at two passing guards. He huffed. "You could at least furnish me with a weapon. My dagger. Something!"

Thor regarded him carefully. Loki smiled as he felt cold metal sliding over his hand. "At last. A little common sense." He went to move his hand but found them bound. With a scowl, he raised his hands slowly. "Seriously?"

"What? I thought you liked tricks." Thor replied with a smile. Seren snorted.

OoOoOo

Loki's face was still throbbing from where Jane had slapped him. He hasn't expected such an action from so tiny a mortal.

Thor looked around, perplexed.

Loki wiped at his bottom lip. "I thought you said you knew how to fly this thing."

Thor began to hit random buttons. "I said 'how hard could it be?'" He slammed his fist down.

They could hear the scuffle between Volstagg and the einherjar outside of the ship.

"Well, whatever you’re doing brother, I suggest you do it faster." He signaled for Seren to come to him. She did so quickly, taking his outstretched hand.

"Shut up, Loki." Thor mumbled, twisting a knob.

Loki leaned over his shoulder, trying to see. "You must have missed something."

"No, I didn’t. I’m pressing every button on this thing." Thor huffed, going back to button pressing.

"No don’t hit it. Brute strength will only get you so far. Just press it gently." Loki said.

"I am pressing it gently! It’s not working!" Thor snapped, pressing all of the buttons angrily. Suddenly the lights inside the ship glowed and the engine rumbled to life. Thor broke out into a triumphant smile. "Ha!"

Seren gripped a nearby control panel as the ship began to move. Loki tightened his grip on her hand and leaned forward.

"Look, why don’t you let me take over? I’m clearly the best pilot."

"Is that right? Well, out of the two of us, which one can actually fly." Thor shot back. He jerked the ship to avoid collision with another ship. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw movement as Jane collapsed.

"Oh dear. Is she dead?" Seren slapped Loki's arm.

Thor looked over his shoulder. "Jane!"

She waved her hand weakly. "I’m okay."

The ship swooped too close to a building and took off its top. Loki started to open his mouth.

"Not a word." Thor snapped.

Seren tuned out the brothers bickering, watching the landscape pass by in a blur. Loki's hand never left hers. She looked over at the woman called Jane. She was pale and obviously uncomfortable as she lay on the floor.

"...truly brilliant!"

Seren was suddenly jerked forward and found herself tumbling outside of the ship. Her screams were lost on the wind as she plummeted towards the water below.

As she squeezed her eyes shut, preparing for death, the wind was knocked out of her as she landed in something much softer than the ground.

She lifted her head. She was on another shipand she had landed on top of Loki. He groaned as she rolled off of him.

"Lady Seren, this is a pleasant surprise." Fandral said, steering the ship. He looked over her shoulder at Loki, who was standing to his feet. "I see your time in the dungeons has made you no less graceful, Loki."

Loki ignored him. Thor landed gracefully, Jane in his arms.

"You lied to me." Loki started. Thor glanced at him as he set Jane down. Loki lifted his chin. "I'm impressed."

"I’m glad you’re pleased. Now, do as you promised. Take us to your secret pathway." Thor replied.

Without question, Loki took control of the ship, turning it away from the rainbow bridge and heading towards a mountain range.

Seren fell to the deck with a squeak as another ship began firing at them. Jane glanced at her.

"Stay down here with me, Seren. It's safer." She said.

Thor looked over at Fandral. "Fandral."

Fandral sighed and nodded. "Right. For Asgard." And he leapt from the ship.

Seren peered over the edge, watching as Fandral landed on a ship below. She suddenly felt dizzy and turned around, resting her back against the ship wall. She rubbed her face with her hands, fighting the urge to vomit.

"Seren?" Loki said.

"I'm alright Loki." She replied. When she looked up, his eyes were still on hersher, unconvinced.

"Really, Loki." She said, reassuringly.

Thor watched with growing apprehension as the mountain range grew closer. "Loki..."

Hearing the uncertainty in Thor's voice caused him to roll his eyes. "If it were easy, everyone would do it." He said.

"Are you mad?!" Thor cried.

Loki stared at the fast approaching cave, afraid to blink. "Possibly..." He said quietly. "Close your eyes ladies."

Seren squeezed her eyes shut, feeling the air cooling rapidly as they entered the cave. She opened her eyes just in time to see it light up in a brilliant array of colors, and then she blacked out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay! The in laws have moved in...sigh.