Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Twenty-One

"Seren!" Loki watched her collapse next to Jane just as the 'ta-da' escaped his lips.

Thor hurried to her, helping her sit up. He eyes fluttered and she brought her hand to her forehead. "What the hell?"

"You fainted. Are you alright?" He asked.

"Is she alright?" Loki called, craining his neck to look at her.

"I'm fine, Loki." She called. Thor looked at her, his brow raised. "I'm fine." She insisted. "How much longer?"

Thor looked at Loki.

"An hour or so at least." Loki replied.

"I'm going to lay down for a bit. I just feel off." Seen said. Thor nodded. "Wake me when we get there." She said, rolling onto her side next to Jane.

OoOoOo

Nearly an hour had passed. The ship hovered quietly through the ruins of what used to be a powerful city. Thor stood, looking out at the passing scenery, or lack thereof.

This would have felt like any other adventure, like when they were younger. Except it wasn't. So much had changed so quickly. Loki found himself mourning the way things used to be. He didn't like what they had become. He wanted to find a way to rectify what he'd done and restore his relationship with the only brother he'd ever known. It was exhausting being so angry all of the time.

But he also knew power when he saw it, and the power that she held was legendary, albeit deadly for host and victim. Loki gazed over at Jane as she slept. "What I could do with the power that flows through those veins..." He muttered, watching as Thor placed a blanket over the sleeping women.

"It would consume you." Thor replied, sitting across from Loki.

"She’s holding up alright. For now."

Thor looked over at Jane, his arms crossed over his chest. "She’s strong in ways you’d never even know."

"Say goodbye." Loki said, remembering the tales of the Aether he was told as a child.

Thor shook his head. "Not this day."

"This day, the next, a hundred years, it’s nothing. It’s a heartbeat. You’ll never be ready. The only woman whose love you prized will be snatched from you." Loki said, unable to fight the darkness that haunted him.

Thor gave Loki a reproachful look. "And will that satisfy you?"

"Satisfaction is not in my nature." Loki said.

"And surrender is not in mine!" Thor snapped.

Loki smirked. "The son of Odin…"

Thor rise and stepped towards Loki. "No. Not just of Odin. You think you alone were loved by Mother? You had her tricks, but I had her trust."

Loki's nostrils glared angrily. "Trust? Was that her last expression? Trust? When you let her die?"

"What help were you in your cell?" Thor asked angrily.

"Who put me there? Who put me there?!" Loki shouted.

Thor shoved Loki backwards. "You know damn well. You know damn well who!" He raised his fist as if to strike, but stopped himself from taking the swing and backed away. His face contorted into a look of pain. "She wouldn’t want us to fight." He said sadly.

Loki thought about it for a moment and his expression lightened. "Well she wouldn’t exactly be shocked."

The two brothers chuckled, but the tension was still there.

Thor looked down sadly. "I wish I could trust you." He turned away, looking out at the land.

Loki looked at him, wanting to apologize for everything, but he knew it was probable too late. "Trust my rage." He said quietly. "It's because of me that mother is dead."

"What do you mean?"

"When that...creature escaped the prison, he let the prisoners go. Except for me. I told him to take the stairs to the left. The one that led to the war room."

"Why?" Thor asked, confused.

"Because of the attack on Asgard, I assumed that you or Odin would be there! I thought the two of you could stop him! I had no idea mother would be there." He ran his hand through his hair and drew in a shaky breath.

"I believe you. And I do not blame you." Thor said.

Seren rose quietly as Thor moved to sit next to Jane. She gathered her skirts and walked back to Loki. "What was all of that about?" She whispered.

Loki looked at her and forced a tight lipped smile. "I've been a bad brother. And son."

Seren reached out and took his hand cuffed in hers, looking at their entwined fingers. She smiled. "We fit together perfectly."

Loki kissed her forehead. "More than you know."

"Why can't I remember?" She asked.

"How did we meet?"

He smiled genuinely. "Thor and I were hunting of the banks of Lake Amethyst. We saw a flash of light and there you were, falling from the sky and you-"

"Nearly drowned. You pulled me out of the water." She stared off into the distance, lost in thought.

Hope blossomed in Loki's chest. "Do you remember what day it was?"

Her brow furrowed. "It was my birthday...I had...fallen down a ravine in the woods outside from my grandparents farm..."

Loki nodded. "What else do you remember?"

She shook her head as a wave of nausea washed over her. "I can't-" she leaned over the edge of the ship and vomited.

"Are you alright?" Loki asked. She sat back down.

"Don't look at me..." She groaned.

Loki smiled and wiped her mouth gently with his sleeve. "I've seen you in worse shape than this..." He whispered.

He watched as Jane sat up and crawled to the bow of the ship.

"Jane?" Thor asked.

"Malekith..." Jane whispered.

Loki glanced up and exhaled. "We're here." Seren stood, gripping his arm for support. He looked down at her. "Do you have your cloak?" He asked.

She nodded and wrapped it over her shoulders. He tied it under her chin. "We have to walk from here or they'll hear us coming."

Thor helped Jane to her feet. "We're ready."

"Seren, take Jane. I need to speak with my brother." Loki replied.

Jane narrowed her eyes. "I'll stay."

"It's alright, Jane." Thor said, looking at Loki. "I believe we are past that."

"You have my word." Loki said.

"Right." Jane said.

Thor helped her and Seren off the ship. He placed a kiss on Jane's cheek. "I'll only be a minute." He turned and joined Loki at the opposite end of the ship. "What is it?"

"What's your plan?"

"Malekith wants the Aether. He is going to take it out of her." Thor replied.

"Are you going to ask him nicely?" Loki quipped. He shook his head dismissively. "Malekith will not remove it and let her live. Or any of us for that matter. Are you even sure he can take it out?"

"It got in her somehow, it has to be able to come out."

"Alright. Say he kills us because we're a threat. What then?"

Thor pinched the bridge of his nose. "Get on with it Loki. You devised the tactics, I merely enacted them. It's no different now."

Loki frowned. "It's no secret that I held some disdain for you. The whole nine know it. Malekith will be none the wiser. We need him to believe that. He will try to extract the Aether and when he does," Loki pointed at Mjolnir. "You blast that abomination to hel."

"What about the girls?" Thor asked.

"They can't know. The more realistic it seems, the better." Loki replied.

Thor pondered on it for a moment. "Seren should stay hidden...I can't have her injured as well."

"I've already told her."

Thor nodded. "Ok. Then let us go."

OoOoOo

They trekked up the side of a cliff, watching from afar as the dark elves exited their ship. The wind was hot and the sky was dark with storm clouds.

Thor looked at Jane. "Are you ready?"

Jane nodded.

"We are." Loki said.

The two brothers stepped away to talk. Loki looks up, meeting the fast away stare of Malekith. "You know this plan of yours is going to get us killed..."

"Yes. Possibly." Thor replied.

Loki held up his wrists. Thor hesitated, glancing at him. Loki sighed. "You still don't trust me, brother?"

"Would you?" Thor asked, uncuffing him.

"No. I wouldn't." Quicker than Thor could react, Loki plunged a hidden dagger into his abdomen and threw him down the cliff. Seren covered her mouth with her hands, careful not to make herself known. She watched as Loki stalked down the cliff after Thor.

"Thor! No!" Jane screamed. She chased after him. Frightened for them all, Seren chased after Jane.

"Do you really think I cared about Frigga? About anybody?" Loki growled angrily. He viciously kicked Thor in the face, sending him sprawling backwards. He pushed himself up, looking quickly for Mjolnir. Spying it, he reached out for it. "All I ever wanted was you and Odin, dead at my feet!" Loki slashed our with the knife, cutting Thor's hand off.

Seren cried out, terrified by the scene playing out before her. Jane ran to Thor's side but Loki grabbed her by the waist.

"Loki stop!" Seren cried.

"Malekith! I am Loki of Jotunheim, and I bring you a gift!" Loki yelled. He threw Jane at Malekith’s feet. "I ask only one thing return. A good seat from which to watch Asgard burn."

Malekith listened intently as his companion spoke to him in their native tongue, scrutinizing Loki. He silently walked over to where Thor writhefd on the ground in pain. "Look at me." He commanded, kicking Thor to his back. Thor groaned, clutching his injured arm.

Jane looked up at Malekith. He raised his hand, causing her to rise into the air like a puppet. Her hair and clothes swirled about as if she were under water.

Seren froze just behind Loki, watching as what she thought was blood, poured out of Jane's floating body. They were killing them right in front of her and she couldn't do anything to stop it. Seren felt her knees buckle and she stumbled as Jane's body fell to the ground.

"Loki! Now!" Thor screamed.

Seren's head shot up as Loki, using his power, returned Thor's hand to its original state.

Loki threw himself over Jane, shielding her.

Mjolnir flew instantly into Thor's hand and he aimed it at the hovering red substance, blasting it to bits with a massive lightning bolt. The remnants fell to the ground like broken glass.

Seren exhaled the breath she didn't realize she'd been holding, and then everything spun ought of control. The crystals materialized and then the one called Malekith absorbed it.

Thor and Loki began to fight against the dark elves. Ripping her cloak off, Seren scurried over to where Jane sat stunned. "Jane, we need to get out of here." She cried, pulling her to her feet.

"I can't leave him!" She said.

"They are big boys, they can handle this. But we can't!" The girls stopped suddenly as a metallic sphere landed next to them.

Loki layout in front of them, shoving them both backwards as the sphere imploded. Seren watched in horror as the implosion began to suck Loki into it. He reached out for her and his terrified gaze locked into her own.

Then out of nowhere, Thor flew past in a flash of red, pulling Loki out of the void. They didn't have time for words as Thor was thrown several yards away, fighting off the beast that killed the queen. Loki stood and found himself surrounded by several dark elves.

Seren felt her heart skip as he was outnumbered. She jumped to her feet but Jane grabbed her hand. "Are you crazy?! You just talked me out of doing the same thing!"

"I have to try to help him!"

"They'll kill you!"

"You would do it for Thor, wouldn't you?" Seren cried. "Wouldn't you?!" Jane, knowing she was right, let her go. By the time Seren turned around, the elves lay broken and bleeding on the ground. Loki stood, a blade in each hand, breathing heavily.

"Loki-"

"Take Jane and go back to the ship!" Loki cried.

"But-"

"NOW!" He cried, picking up the blade of one of the elves. Seren helped Jane to her feet, watching as Loki rushed to his brothers aid with a sense of dread.

With a grunt, Loki shoved the blade through the beast's back. To his shock, the creature didn't die. Realizing his mistake too late, the beast grabbed Loki by each arm.

Seren's eyes widened in horror, watching, as if in slow motion, the creature pulled Loki to him in a deadly embrace. The blade of the sword protruded sickeningly from his back. The monster pulled away, throwing Loki to the ground.

She watched wide-eyed as her life flashed before her eyes. A flood of images invaded her mind as the magical wall that restrained her memories crumbled.

Seren as a child sitting with her feet in the water of the river. Loki popping up out of the water and splashing her.

Teenage Seren sitting in the garden of her childhood home with her knees drawn up to her chest. Loki peering down at her, holding his hand out to her.

The two of them dancing under the moonlight at her prom. "I loved you the moment I pulled you out of the lake..."

The first time they'd made love.


"NNNOOOO!" Thor cried, ripping her from the memory.

Loki forced himself to lean up on his elbow, still clutching his stomach. "See you in hel...monster." Loki gasped.

The beast looked down, realizing that Loki had activated the grenade he wore on his hip. Before he could release it, the bomb imploded, sucking the creature into an abyss.

She couldn't hear her own screams over Thor's as she scrambled to get to him. Loki lay gasping for breath, clutching at his wounds.

"Seren..." He gasped, looking around. She collapsed next to him, blinded by tears.

"I'm here Loki..." She cried, her shaking hands covering his injury.

"No no no...." Thor knelt on his opposite side, scooping him into his arms as tears rolled down his cheeks. "Oh you fool, you didn't listen.." He said sadly.

Loki winced, feeling as if he were burning and freezing at the same time. His eyes found Seren's. "I know I'm a fool...I'm a fool..." He said between shallow breaths.

A loud sob escaped her lips as she placed a hand against his cheek. "You're no fool...you're a hero...you're my hero..." She whispered, stroking his cheek. "I remember, Loki. I remember everything. When this is over, I'm going to marry you and we're going to live long happy lives." Her tears fell on his cheek and she sniffled.

He forced a weak smile. "I will always love you..."

"Stay with me, ok?" Thor pleaded.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry..." Loki breathed.

"Ssshh. It's ok..." Thor whispered. Loki's face seemed to relax and his gaze became distant. The trembling of his body began to taper. "I'll tell father of what you here today..." Thor said.

Loki shook his head ever so slightly, glancing at Thor and then back at Seren, trying to focus on her. "I didn't do it for him..." He whispered with his last breath.

"Loki?" Seren squeaked. She watched as his flesh turned a sickly gray color and his eyes closed. "Loki!" She shook him, but he didn't answer. "You can't do this to me! Not again!" She wailed. "Why can't you heal him? You healed that man in New Mexico, Thor!" She cried.

Thor squeezed his eyes shut and screamed, pressing his forehead against Loki's unmoving chest.

Jane walked towards them, unsure of what to do. "You remember that?" She asked. Seren couldn't find the words to answer. The line between reality and nightmare was quickly blurring.

Thor looked up at Jane who's face was a mask of pity for him. She held her arms out and he stood, entering her embrace. After a moment to collect himself, he turned to Seren.

Seren couldn't let go of Loki's hand. She was in shock.

The wind kicked up viciously and thunder rumbled in the sky. Thor looked up. The sky was brown and green, and a massive dust storm was quickly approaching.

"Seren, we must go." Thor said.

"I'm staying..." She said.

"You can't stay here, its too dangerous." He said.

"I'll manage."

Thor took her by her upper arm in an attempt to pull her to her feet, but she jerked away. "I won't leave him!" She cried, brushing Loki's hair back. "He wouldn't leave me..."

Thor knelt beside her, taking her face in his hands. "My brother above all things, loved you the most. He would want you to live on."

She felt tears sting her eyes again as she looked back down at Loki's body. "I love you..." She whispered. Thor pulled her to her feet and with Jane, they made their way to the nearest cave they could find.

"He’s gonna unleash it. Not just on Asgard or on a star. Malekith is going to destroy everything." Jane blurted out, once inside the cave.

"How?" Thor asked. She hesitated. "Jane, how?"

"I saw him on Earth. Why would he go to Earth?" She answered.

"The Convergence." Thor said.

Jane ran a hand through her hair. "God. None of this would have happened if I hadn’t found the Aether."

"Then Malekith would’ve only possessed it that much sooner." Thor reassured her.

She looked up at him. "I only found it because I was looking for you."

"Jane…" he moved closer to her.

She turned abruptly. "Now we’re trapped here."

"What happens now?" Seren asked, wiping her face.

"We go after Malekith. He means to attack Midgard." Thor said.

"I can't go back there, Thor. You know they're going to be after me after what happened in New York." Jane looked over at her questioningly. "They think I helped him." Seren clarified.

"I've no way to get you back to Asgard." Thor replied.

"Then I'll stay here."

"It's out of the question." Thor said.

"Why?! If you take me to earth then I'll only cause more trouble that you can't afford right now. Let me stay here. You said yourself this place is deserted. I'll wait here for you to get me."

Thor sighed. "What if I don't return?"

Both women looked at him incredulously.

"I've never encountered a power like the Aether. And now Malekith possesses it. We must be realistic, death is possible."

Seren stepped up to him, looking him in the eye. "You will not die. After all you've been through? Jotunheim, New Mexico, New York?" She shook her head as tears fell once more from her eyes. "You can't. To many lives are counting on you. Including Jane's." She pressed her hand to his chest, just over his heart. "I'll be here when you get back."

Thor gave her a sad smile and looked around. "I've no way to get to any realm from here. The locations of the hidden portals died with my brother."

At that moment, a loud tune began to play, echoing thought the cave. Seren looked around. Jane looked up at Thor, confused.

"It's not me." He said.

Jane fished her cell phone out of her armor and placed it to her ear. "Hello?" She began to look around. "Richard? Where are you?" She lifted her phone in the air, looking for service.

Seren looked around, thoroughly confused. "How?"

Thor shrugged. "I know not the ways of your technology." He said.

Jane began walking further back into the cave. "My God this is amazing!" She continued walking. "How am I getting signal here? No no no, whatever you do, do not hang up. Yeah yeah, just stay on the phone."

She looked down and saw a multitude of cans and soda bottles. Then she spotted a set of car keys. She gasped and picked them up. "No no no, nothing at all!" She turned to Thor, signaling for him to follow her. "Come on!" She hissed.

"Wait. Where are we going?" He asked, looking down. "And why are there so many shoes here?" He asked.

Jane hung up her phone. "This is the portal that we found in London! It's our way out!" She said excitedly.

Thor turned to Seren. He tightened her cloak around her shoulders. "If anything happens, you jump through this portal. I'd rather have you in custody on Midgard than dead on Svartelfheim."

Seren nodded. "Please be careful Thor. You're all I have left now."

"You have my word." He said, before taking Jane's hand and disappearing through the portal.
♠ ♠ ♠
This part was So sad...leave me a comment.