Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Twenty-Three

Loki didn't know where they were, just that they were still on Asgard, somewhere in the forest. It was still dark and there was an unmistakable eerieness in the air. He set Seren gently on the ground and cried out as a sharp pain shot through his ribs.

He lifted his shirt with shaking hands. There was a large gash in his chest over his ribs on the right side. He was certain at least two of them were broken. Blood seeped from the wound, too fast for his liking. Too weak to summon the magic to heal it, he removed his tunic, ripped it and began to bind the wound. He wrapped the torn strips around his chest and tied them tightly, muffling a painful cry as he did so.

Once he was done, he knelt down next to Seren who lay staring blankly up at the sky.

"Seren?" He waved his hand in front of her face. "Seren. Come on sweetheart. Snap out of it." He lifted her up to a sitting position. Her head lolled back, but her gaze remained unchanged. He tapped her cheek. "Seren, wake up!" He commanded. Nothing. Panic began to rear its head. He quickly slapped her across the face, harder than he'd intended, but it seemed to work.

She blinked twice before focusing her eyes on him. Then her face twisted with sadness and she began to cry. "You're dead...You're not real...You're not real..." She sobbed, trying to push him away.

He took her face with both hands, forcing her to look at him. "Look at me!" He commanded. "I'm as real as you are, and I am very much alive! Thanos was playing with your mind. He was keeping you prisoner in your own thoughts. But I am real. And I am here. And it will take everything that son of a whore has to keep me from you. Do you understand me?"

Seren hiccupped and nodded. "I thought you were dead!" She sobbed, throwing her arms around him.

Loki hissed as the motion caused a fresh wave of pain to course through him. She looked down and gasped. "Loki you're hurt!"

He forced a smile. "It's just a scratch."

"Scratches don't bleed like that Loki." She replied.

He chuckled and brushed her hair out of her face. "I won't argue with you. But it's not important right now. By now Thanos has figured out that I switched the stone. He'll be coming after us. We need to disappear, and figure out our next move."

"Where should we go?"

Loki shook his head, looking around. "I don't know. I think we're somewhere near Lake Amethyst. If so, there is a cave on the south side. Thor and I used to camp there. I'm certain there are some healing stones there. But to get to it we'll have to go underwater."

"Can you swim with that wound?" She asked.

"I'm going to have to regardless."

"Why don't we try to reach Thor?" Seren asked.

Loki shook his head. "He's busy fighting his own battles. This one is one of my making and I mean to right it."

"You don't have to prove anything Loki. There is nothing wrong with asking for help."

"To ask him now, would only distract him, and put him at risk. I couldn't live with myself of another person lost their life because of me."

"What about your father? Surely he would listen to you."

Loki's face strained of all color and he suddenly felt like he couldn't breathe. In all the chaos, he'd forgotten about the horrible crime he'd committed. Murder is one thing but patricide was something else entirely.

"What is it?" Seren asked. He couldn't look her in the eye. "Loki, what?"

He shook his head and sucked in a deep breath. "Let's get to the cave." He stood and helped her to her feet. "I'll explain everything, I swear. But it isn't safe out here."

OoOoOo

Just as Seren felt her eardrums would burst, Loki pulled her to the surface of the lake. She sucked in a deep breath of sweet oxygen. Loki pulled her up onto the cavern ground.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

She lay across his lap, trying to catch her breath. "Yeah...I'm ok..." They were in a dome-like cave. There was a very small opening in the ceiling that allowed just a fraction of moonlight in.

He looked down at her and ran his hand through his hair. Seren pushed herself up. "Are you ok?"

He looked at her and shook his head slowly. "No. Quite the opposite, actually." He blinked back tears.

"Loki, what happened?" She asked, sitting cross-legged before him. "You can tell me anything, you know that."

He exhaled slowly. "I know I can. I'm only afraid of what you'll think of me afterwards."

"I love you. We've been through too much together." She took his hands in hers and kissed his cold fingertips gently. "I'm in this for the long haul."

"I don't deserve you." He replied.

"Tell me." She said.

And so he did. He told her about how he came to know Thanos and of the events leading up to their current predicament. He told her things she he'd probably already told her, and things he was certain he hadn't. After he'd told her everything, he couldn't bear to look at her, even in the dark. "So there you have it. All of my crimes laid out before you."

Seren wiped her eyes, taking a moment to let everything sink in. "And I love you no less. You did what you did to save me. And you gave your life for Thor on Svartalfheim. You are a good person, Loki."

He forced a smile. "Thanos said something similar when he disguised himself as my mother."

"So he is after the stone?" Seren asked.

"He is looking to control everything. If he gets all of the stones, he will."

"How many are there?"

"How many what?"

"How many what?? How many stones, Loki?"

"Seven. They are scattered throughout the galaxy precisely for reasons like this. Each one has its own unique power, but when brought together, the one who holds them all will hold the power of the universe in his hands. They are neither good nor bad, that depends entirely on the heart of the owner." Loki explained.

"Can't we use the stone on Odin?"

Loki shook his head. "I tried, but Thanos interfered before the process could complete."

"Then that means Thor is king?" She asked.

He laughed bitterly. "Is that a question or statement?"

"Will Thanos not go after him?"

"If I know Thanos, he'll conceal the crimes and wait for Thor to come to him."

Seren wrapped her arms around her knees, shivering slightly. Loki grabbed a nearby blanket. "All we need is a fire." Seren said.

He moved to sit next to her, leaning against the wall of the cave. "We can't risk someone seeing the light. And I don't have the strength to put up a shield." He wrapped the blanket around them. "This will have to do until morning."

"What will we do tomorrow?" She asked.

"I'm inclined to leave you here. I don't want to risk something happening to you. No one knows about this place but myself and Thor. You'll be safe here."

She turned in his arms, looking up at him. "No way. Loki, I just got you back!"

"It's for your safety sweetheart."

She shook her head. "No. Where you go, I go. I would go crazy here, knowing you were putting yourself at risk. I don't want to lose you-"

Loki silenced her with a kiss that stole the breath from her lungs. He pressed his forehead to hers. "You'll never lose me. Ever. As soon as all of this is over, we will be married. I don't want to go any longer than I have to without you as my wife."

Seren smiled and placed her hand on his cheek. "I can't wait to be your wife. I love you."

"I love you more every day." He kissed her forehead. "Get some sleep. Whatever happens tomorrow will require great strength."

OoOoOo

The moment Thor set foot in the Bifrost, he could tell something was off.

"Welcome back." Heimdall said, his hand resting on his sword.

"Thank you Heimdall. I trust everything is alright?" Thor asked.

Heimdall looked at him with smiling eyes. "Everything is as you left it. I trust you were successful in your battle."

"Aye. Midgard is safe once more. But I'm certain you saw that." He replied.

"I did. You're father is awaiting you in the throne room."

Thor stared at him for a brief moment. "I hope father wasn't too harsh on you for helping break Loki out of his cell. I would be dead if not for him."

"His judgement was fair."

Thor nodded and smiled. "Well then, let's not keep him waiting." He echoed the Bifrost and immediately flew in the direction of the castle.

When he was certain he wasn't being followed, he changed course for a back entrance to the castle. Something was definitely wrong. He turned down a dark alley way and paused as he heard the shuffle of footsteps. He spun around and grabbed his follower by the throat.

"THOR!"

Thor narrowed his eyes. "Sif?"

"Who the bloody hell else would it be?!" She growled. She swatted his hand away.

"Forgive me."

"Why are you lurking?" She asked.

"I wasn't-"

"Yes you were, you were lurking." Faster than Thor could react, Sif had the blade of her staff pointed uncomfortably close to his throat. "Why?!"

Thor held his hands up in surrender. "Sif! Are you mad?"

"Why were you lurking?" She asked again.

"Something isn't right! I can feel it and I know you can feel it, otherwise you wouldn't be acting like this!" He replied.

"Prove you're Thor."

"And how shall I do that? Summon some lightning? Or perhaps I should try lifting Mjolnir?" He raised his right hand, revealing the hammer.

Sif lowered her weapon. "I'm sorry. But you're right. Something isn't right. No one has seen the All Father for days. He'll only allow audience with certain people. Those who go in, come out...different."

"What do you mean, 'different'?" Thor asked, wiping the trickle of blood from his neck.

"I don't know how to explain it. They just aren't the same. Their eyes are empty."

"Heimdall seemed strange."

Sif nodded. "He was the first one your father summoned."

"Curious. When did you notice this?"

"A few days ago. What is going on? Does this have something to do with Malekith?"

Thor shook his head. "Malelkith is dead. This is something different." A thought suddenly occurred to him. "Where are the warriors three?"

"Hogun is with his family on Vanaheim. Volstagg was called to the castle four or five days ago. We suspected it was because he let you get away with Loki. Fandral was called two days later. I was summoned yesterday."

"I was summoned just a few moments ago. I'll find out what is amiss. You should wait for me here." He made to walk out towards the castle but Sif grabbed his arm.

"Thor, no one has heard from Volstagg or Fandral since they were called upon." She said. It was a rare thing, but fear was plainly written on her features.

While the news worried him, he still needed answers. He placed a friendly hand on her shoulder. "Do not worry. I'm not. Stay in the shadows. I will come for you shortly. I need to know what we're up against."

"I don't like it." She said.

"I'm not asking you to. Just stay safe." He said.

She pursed her lips stubbornly but relented. "I'll be here."

He gave her a care free smile before making his way into the castle.

OoOoOo

Upon entry, everything looked normal. The golden halls shimmered no less brilliantly. Servants hurried about their work. Guards regarded him coolly as he passed them. But none of them acknowledged him, or spoke to him.

Thor turned to walk down the corridor that led to his chambers. Two guards barred his entry with their staffs. "You are wanted in the throne room."

"I'll wash up and meet with the All Father afterwards." Thor replied.

"He'll see you now." The other guard said.

Fighting the urge to force his way through, he sighed. "Very well."

He began walking once more towards the throne room, aware of everyone's eyes on him. He turned to walk down a second hallway, only to be stopped again by two different guards. "Your presence is required in the throne room."

"Right. Of course." He spun on his heel and stalked towards the throne room. After taking a moment to compose himself, he walked through its large ornate doorway. It did not go unnoticed that there was absolutely no one in the room except himself, and Odin, who sat perched atop his newly repaired throne.

"You once said there would never be a wiser King than me. You were wrong. The alignment has brought all the realms together. Every one of them saw you offer your life to save them. What can Asgard offer its new King in return?"

Thor kneeled, resting Mjolnir at his side. "My life. Father, I cannot be King of Asgard. I will protect Asgard and all the realms with my last and every breath, but I cannot do so from that chair. Loki for all his grave imbalance understood rule as I know I never will. The brutality, the sacrifice… It changes you. I’d rather be a good man than a great King."

"Is this my son I hear? Or the woman he loves?"

"When you speak, do I not hear Mother’s voice?"

Odin sighed and looked down at the mention of his deceased queen.

"This is not for Jane, Father. She does not know what I came here to say. Now forbid me to see her or say she can rule at my side, it changes nothing."

Odin slumped into the throne slightly. "One son who wanted the throne too much, another who will not take it. Is this to be my legacy?"

"Loki died with honour. I shall try to live the same. Is that not legacy enough?" Thor asked. Odin nodded. Thor lifted Mjolnir and offered it to his father, but Odin waved it away.

"It belongs to you. If you are worthy of it."

Thor smiled. "I shall try to be."

"I cannot give you my blessing, nor can I wish you good fortune." Odin stated.

"I know."

"If I were proud of the man my son had become, even that I could not say, I would speak only from my heart. Go, my son."

"Thank you, father." Thor stood and exited the throne room.

Once he was outside he was met with the stares of the people roaming the halls. He turned and attempted to walk down the hall to his room, surprised when the guards let him pass.

He immediately began the long walk, looking around as inconspicuously as possible for any sign that something was wrong. He found his evidence when he rounded the corner and happened upon Odin's chambers. Four guards stood at the doors. Giving them a curt nod, he passed them, pushing through into his own room.

Nothing was amiss. The room was exactly as he'd left it. But something in the air had his senses heightened. After peering behind every curtain and drape, he sat down on the edge of his bed, trying to rack his brain.

"Brother, I need your help."

Thor's head shot up and he looked around the room. He was quite alone.

"Something terrible has happened." The disembodied voice said again.

Thor stood up quickly, looking around. "Show yourself!" He demanded.

"If I do, don't hit me!" The voice said.

"Much worse will happen if you do not!" Thor growled.

"Very well."

Thor felt his mouth drop open and he nearly dropped Mjolnir as Loki appeared in front of him. "Loki?"

"The one and only." Loki replied.

"How is this possible?" Thor asked, looking him over.

"There is much to discuss, but we can't do it here."

"Then where?"

"The cave in Lake Amethyst. Seen and I are both hiding there."

"I need to get Sif-"

"Trust no one Thor! I cannot say more until we are face to face."

Thor's brow furrowed. "Very well."

"Bring provisions if you would be so kind."

Loki vanished and Thor held out his hand for Mjolnir. Without another moment, he leapt into the air and flew out of the castle.

OoOoOo

Seren waited anxiously for Loki to return. The sun was high in the sky and the cave was getting hotter. She couldn't remember the last time she ate and she suddenly felt nauseous.

Leaning over the bank of the cave she dipped her hand into the cool water and pressed her hand to the back of her neck.

She opened her eyes just as Loki broke the surface with a gasp, startling her. She fell backwards with a cry, landing hard on her elbow.

Loki pulled himself up and out of the water. "Sorry! I'm so sorry." He knelt next to her. "Are you alright?"

"Yea, I'm fine. You scared the shit out of me though."

There was another splash and Thor burst through the surface of the water. Seren gave a start, clutching Loki's arm.

Loki smiled and turned, offering his hand to his brother. Thor brushed his hair out of his face and looked around.

"I haven't been here in years..." He said, collapsing against the wall. He took a bag from his back and held it out to Loki who took it eagerly.

He sat down next to Seren and handed her a small loaf of bread.

"Thank you..." Loki took a bite of cheese. "For coming here."

"Yes, why am I here exactly? A better question would be how are you here? I watched you die with my own eyes. We both did."

Loki held up his index finger as he swallowed a dry piece of bread. "That is an excellent question." He reached in his pocket and pulled out the stone. "This little bastard."

"What is it?" Thor asked.

"It's called an infinity stone. There are more scattered through the universe. Each with their own special power." He leaned back and wrapped his arm around Seren's shoulder. "This one has the power to retrieve lost soul. It has the power to bring life back."

"How did you come about this?" Thor asked suspiciously.

Loki took a long sip of wine. And tossed the skin to his brother. "You're going to need a drink."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment! Sorry for the delay, work has been crazy and I took my kids on a little vacation. But I'm back and have more to come soon!