Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Twenty-four

"THOR STOP!!" Seren cried, throwing herself on his back as he threw Loki up against the wall of the cave.

"You did what?!" Thor cried, eyes filing with rage.

Loki spat out a mouthful of blood, his head hanging down. "I was a fool." He whispered, watching his tears mix with the dirt at his feet.

"Father?! Our father?!" Thor cried, slamming Loki against the wall with each enraged word. He pulled his fist back, preparing to strike.

"Listen to him!" Seren threw herself between them, pushing her arms backwards to protect Loki.

"I'm beyond listening! Step aside, Seren." He commanded.

She straightened up slightly. "No."

He lifted his hammer. "Step aside or-"

"What?!" She screamed. "You'll kill me?! If you kill me then you kill the baby inside of me! You do what you have to do and so will I. But I won't step aside just so you can kill him! It won't change anything!!" She luned at him, beating his chest with her fists. She shoved him back angrily. "So listen to him! Or kill us both because I won't live without him!!" She screamed.

Thor lowered his hammer slowly, exhaling a shaky breath. His pain was still etched across his face. "What?"

"Yes, what?" Loki asked, suddenly more alert.

"There's nothing left to say." She turned to face Loki. "I'm pregnant."

She didn't think his face could get any paler. "You're certain?" He asked quietly. She nodded.

"How long have you known?" Loki asked.

"Since the day we went to Svartalfheim." She replied.

"Seren, I would never hurt you, I trust you know that." Thor said.

"No, right now I don't know that. Two seconds ago you were ready to kill Loki." She snapped, crossing her arms. "Please just...both of you sit." She pointed at Thor. "You over there."

Thor exhaled through his nose, but begrudgingly moved to the opposite side of the cave.

"Now please, just...listen to him. And if you still want to kill him after, then we'll deal with that when we have to...so please?" She asked, lowering herself to the floor.

"Fine." He glared at Loki. "Well?"

Loki looked at Seren, wanting to discuss her announcement further, but he knew now wasn't the time. He looked up to meet Thor's murderous glare. "I did what I did out of love for her. You did similar things for Jane Foster."

"I didn't kill our father!" Thor cried.

"No you didn't, but you risked the lives of hundreds to save her. I died protecting you so that you could save her!" Loki shouted. "Because despite all our differences, I still love you! You're the only brother I've ever known, and I'm asking you now, brother to brother, to help me defeat Thanos. By all rights, the throne falls to you. Take it. I don't want it. Once we've destroyed him, as king you can pass judgement on me as you see fit."

Thor considered this briefly. "Very well. What is your plan?"

"There isn't one yet." Seren said. Thor scoffed.

"Defeating Thanos will be no easy task." Loki replied.

"What do you know of him?" Thor asked.

Seren looked at Loki. He stared at the wall in front of him, his eyes looking dark and distant.

"He's...horrible. When I fell from the Bifrost," he drew in a shaky breath, wiping his bloody nose on his sleeve. "I fell for what felt like an eternity. Left alone with my thoughts, wishing for an end to my pain, waiting for an end that felt like it would never come. And then, I landed. Hard."

He rested his arm on his bent knee. "I landed in a world full of monstrous creatures. They would have ripped me apart, almost did. I endured endless beatings and abuse by them. I woke up in a dungeon, chained to the floor. The Other, Thanos' right hand, brought me what he said would heal me. The elixer was...pure ecstasy. It took my mind to a different place. It didn't heal me, it made me not feel the things they did to me." Loki went into vivid, disturbing detail of his torment.

Thor played with the leather strap on the handle of Mjolnir, visibly uncomfortable with what he was hearing.

"I eventually became addicted to it. They held it over my head. Whenever I wanted it, they would make me suffer through whatever torture they'd concocted. Eventually Thanos wished to meet with me. He offered me an army to aid in the conquering of earth, and I took it in return for delivering him the Tesseract. As you know, that plan failed. Thanos is known throughout the galaxy as the most vicious, psychotic being out there. He is ruthless in his raids of worlds, killing without discrimination."

Seren listened with her mouth hanging slightly open, tears burning her eyes. "Why didn't you tell us this before?" She asked.

"What good would it have done for either of you to know my torment? The things they did to me...that I allowed them to do to me for a taste of a drug that could make me forget?" Loki scowled.

"It was my burden to carry. My own actions led to my imprisonment." He replied quietly. He looked up at Thor. "When that monster killed me, I no longer wanted to die. I wanted to live. I wanted to have children and watch them grow. I couldn't leave her alone. After my last breath, I woke in Vallhalla, or what I was told was Vallhalla. And then, suddenly there was mother." His voice shook with emotion. "She told me of the stone Father had hidden within him. She told me how to retrieve it and assured me that it would heal him." Tears welled up in his eyes. "I DIDN'T KNOW IT WASN'T HER!" He cried angrily, startling Seren. "I was so caught up in my grief that I couldn't see through the facade. And so I killed him. But I tried to bring him back! Thanos stopped me before I could." He said, collapsing against the wall.

The trio sat in silence for a while, neither knowing what to say. Thor finally broke the silence. "You say he is after the stone. Perhaps we could make a bargain-"

Loki scoffed. "There is no bargaining with Thanos. He's here now, and he won't leave unless we kill him."

"How do you suggest we go about that?" Seren asked.

"What are his weaknesses?" Thor asked.

"He has none." Loki replied.

"All men have a weakness. It's just a matter of finding them." Seren said. "There is always a way. Thor, with your fighting skills and Loki, your magic, certainly we figure something out."

"No. There is no 'we' in this, Seren. You aren't going anywhere until he is gone." Loki said.

"I must agree. Given your delicate condition, we can't afford to put you in harm's way." Thor said.

"Well I can't just sit here by myself worrying after the two of you. I won't." She snapped.

Loki looked at Thor. "I need to get to my chambers. There are many things I need, to even begin to concoct a plan."

Thor nodded. "You'll not go alone." The two of them stood.

Seren scrambled to her feet. "Now? You're going now?" She asked.

Loki handed her the stone. "Keep it close. I can't take it and risk it falling into the hands of Thanos."

She took the stone without question, but stared at him, her expression saying everything.

Loki took her face in his hands and kissed her so deep, it took her breath away. Her eyes fluttered shut and she collapsed against him, unconscious. He lowered her to the ground, laying her down on the blanket next to the small fire. When he stood, Thor was eyeing him suspiciously. "She'd have followed us. This way, she doesn't worry or do something stupid." He explained, joining Thor at the water's edge.

"Can you cover the both of us with invisibility?" Thor asked.

"No. I must save as much strength as I can. The magic that I'm going to have to use, is stronger than anything I've done before." He swallowed as his throat suddenly became dry. "I only hope it will be enough."

"We can go through the tunnels under the palace. The one we used when we were boys. It hasn't been used since." Thor said.

Loki felt a weak smile tug at his lips. "Father had it closed off the day we went hunting for bilgesnipe and instead found a human girl."

"This doesn't mean I've forgiven you. I don't know that I ever will." Thor said.

"I don't know that I'll ever forgive myself." Loki replied.

Thor took in a deep breath. "Are you ready?"

Loki nodded and the two brothers dove head first into the blue water.

OoOoOo

Thor gripped the boards that closed of the entrance and pulled them off with a snap. Loki kept watch, looking around for anything suspicious.

Thor growled in frustration. "There's a door now. With a chain and lock." He began to swing Mjolnir. Loki grabbed his hand quickly.

"Are you mad? We're trying to sneak in. Your lightning and thunder will only give us away."

"I always left the sneaking up to you." Thor snapped.

Loki pulled a small piece of metal from the bracer around his wrist. "And for good reason. Excuse me." He stepped in front of Thor and knelt down before the lock.

"What are you doing?" Thor asked, looking around.

Loki slipped the piece of metal into the lock and began to move it around. "Before I gained the ability to teleport, I relied on other skills to get into locked places." The lock click and opened. Loki smiled up at Thor before standing and pulling the chains away.

"Slightly impressed, but not surprised." Thor said.

"After you." Loki said.

Thor pushed past him, walking into the pitch black corridor. Loki fell into step next to him, but neither said a word. The passage had a damp, musty smell and Loki could feel as his head passed through cobwebs.

"Can you not give us a bit of light?" Thor asked, wiping cobwebs from his beard.

"Sure. If you want us to be caught." Loki replied.

"I don't even remember where this corridor leads." Thor mumbled.

"If we go far enough, it leads to my bath chamber." Loki said. They turned the corridor and Loki stopped, having Thor's shoulder. "Wait!" He whispered.

Thor froze, raising Mjolnir. "What do you hear?"

"We're definitely not alone." Loki whispered.

Thor strained to hear, and after a moment of silence, followed by doubt, he finally heard it. A shuffle and subtle groan.

He felt Loki shift next to him and grabbed him, silently willing him to be still. Whoever it was, was headed right for them.

They waited until the breath of the intruder was felt on their faces. There was a groan and Thor felt something brush his feet.

Quickly, Loki struck out, taking the person to the ground. They rolled on the ground, trading punches blindly. Somehow, Loki managed to get the upper hand and got behind the attacker. He wrapped his arms around their neck and began to squeeze.

"Loki!" Thor whispered. "Are you alright?"

"THOR!" The attacker managed to choke out. It was a female.

"Loki stop!" Thor stepped forward and stumbled over the object at his feet. "It's Sif!"

Loki immediately released his hold on her and she rolled to the side, gasping for air.

"Give us light." Thor said.

Loki snapped his fingers and a tiny orb appeared, giving of just enough of its bluish light so they could see.

"Loki-!" Thor cried.

Loki turned around and froze. He looked over at Sif. "Who is that?!"

Sif pushed herself up and wiped her bloody mouth. "The AllFather."

Thor was immediately at his side, trying to lift him up.

Loki spun around. "That can't be! It has to be an imposter."

"What are you going on about? I found him down here! He's wounded." Sif argued, standing up.

"I'm telling you it's not-"

"How do you know?!" Sif cried.

"Because I killed him!!" Loki cried, his face inches from hers. He watched as shock took over her features.

"Both of you stop!" Thor snapped. He stared down at Odin. His face was pale and it was quite obvious that he was injured. The sight frightened Thor. "Father?"

"Thor-" Loki was silenced as Thor held up his hand.

"Please...I need to know that it's you. Tell me something-" Thor searched his face for any sign that he understood.

Loki keeled next to Thor, staring at Odin. "Tell me...What you said..." Loki swallowed hard. "What you said before-"

"Before you let yourself fall from the Bifrost?" Odin asked weakly. "I said, 'no Loki.'"

"What did you call me when we were in the weapons vault?" Loki asked, eyes filing with tears.

"My son." Odin replied.

Loki dropped his head and began to cry. "I'm so sorry father, please forgive me." He whispered.

"Help me get him up. We need to get him out of here." Thor said.

"I need to get my books." Loki said.

"They can wait. We need to get him back to the cave." Thor replied.

"We are already here. It would be senseless to turn back now."

"Loki-"

"THOR. I'm not going to argue with you. You and Sif get father out of here. I'll retrieve the books myself."

"I don't know what in all the nine realms is going on, and as much as it pains me to say it, Loki is right. If the two of you know of something here that can help us, now's your best chance. It would be foolish to risk returning." Sif replied.

Thor was silent for a moment as he considered the options. He sighed. "Very well-"

Loki didn't give him a chance to finish before he cast invisibility and rushed off down the corridor.

OoOoOo

Sif and Thor approached the shore of lake Amethyst. She glanced over at him. "What now?"

"Now we dive. There is shelter under the water." Thor replied.

Sif scoffed. "You've gone mad."

"I assure you it's there. Loki and I used to camp here in our youth. The cave is...Well you'll just have to trust me." He said.

"Trust is something very hard to come by these days." She mumbled, adjusting her hold on Odin. "Do you think your father can make that journey?"

"I'll do what I must." Odin grumbled.

Thor and Sif looked at one another in surprise. Odin hasn't said a word since leaving the hidden corridor.

"Father, are you certain?" Thor asked.

"Yes. We should go now, before someone or something sees us." He replied.

"Very well. On my count then. One...two...three."

OoOoOo

Sif popped up, gasping for air. She looked around wildly for a moment until her vision adjusted. Thor and Odin broke the surface right behind her. She pulled herself up onto the bank and reached out, pulling Odin with her.

"Are you alright?" Thor asked, pulling himself up next to Odin.

Odin lay flat on his back, taking in slow, even breaths. He glanced at Thor and nodded briefly. "I'll manage."

Thor stood and helped pull Odin back to one of the blankets, where he eased him down. Sif shoved a makeshift pillow under his head.

A slight movement out of the corner of her eye had her drawing a dagger from her breast plate. She turned to strike but Thor caught her wrist.

"It's only Seren. Put it away." He said, releasing her once she'd loosened up.

"What's wrong with her?" Sif asked.

"Loki put her to sleep so she wouldn't follow us."

Sif lowered herself to the ground next to the small fire that burned in the middle of the cave. She turned her head to the side and began to wring her wet hair. "Alright. I believe I'm quite ready for that explanation."

Thor sighed and sat down next to where Odin lay dozing. He picked up a flask of mead and took a gulp before tossing it to her.

She caught it with a questioning flash of her eyes.

Thor nodded gesturing to the flask. "You're going to need a drink."
♠ ♠ ♠
Not as long as I would have liked. Please leave a comment!