Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Twenty-Six

A blinding flash of light followed by searing pain brought Loki up from his sleep with a shout. He gasped for air like he'd been slowly suffocating.

"I see my methods have worked..." came a silky voice from the shadows.

He looked around for the owner of the voice, realizing that he was no longer in the cave or surrounded by his family and friends. "Who are you? What have you done with my family?!" He asked.

"I've done nothing worth your family. They were never even here."

Loki, quickly becoming angry, attempted to get out of the poor excuse for a bed only to find his wrists bound to the frame. "What do you mean? Of course they were! I was just with them!" He struggled to push himself up. "Where is she? Where is Seren? If you hurt her-"

The woman giggled. "It was but an illusion. One of my better ones, I might add. It even fooled you, the trickster prince. I made you feel pain and sadness and love. I made you feel hopeless and hopeful. And I learned it all from you."

He was slightly startled by the laughter, it was a voice he hadn't heard in years. One that filed him with dread. "I demand that you show yourself at once." He said.

"You know who I am..." There was a sudden mist in the air and a woman with breathtakingly bright green eyes and long golden hair suddenly appeared before him, at the base of the bed. "You know very well who I am. Don't you, Loki?"

"Amora." He whispered.

She slowly crawled on top of him, lifting her skirts so that she was straddling him. "I will never get tired of hearing you say my name like that." She began to unzip her gown, pulling her arms free of the billowing sleeves.

"What are you doing?" He snapped.

"You demanded that I show myself, did you not?"

Loki silently cursed himself as she ripped his shirt open. "Release me at once." He growled.

"Where is the fun in that?" She leaned down and bit his collar bone.

He hissed angrily as his eyes rolled and his body betrayed him. "How did you...I thought you-"

"Were trapped in Svartalfheim? Where you so graciously left me to rot?" Her voice thick with contempt. "I should be angry with you...but I really should thank you. Or you should thank me...With all that you taught me combined with the knowledge I gained on this forsaken realm, I was able to bring you back from the brink of death."

"What are you talking about?" He asked.

She sat up straight and gently began to rock her hips back and forth, never taking her eyes off of him. "I saw you so valiantly give your life for your brother and those two women." Loki bit the inside of his cheek as his body betrayed him further. Feeling the sensation beneath her, Amora smiled. "

"With the storm, Thor had no choice but to leave you behind. After living here for so long, I've grown accustomed to the weather. I set out and retrieved you. I brought you back here and placed you in a dreamlike state until I could heal you."

She gave her hips a vicious jerk and buried her hands in his hair, causing an involuntary groan to erupt from his lips. She gripped his hair and leaned forward, her lips brushing his ear. "It feels like you've been returned to your...full strength."

"You had better hope not." He whispered.

"I hope to find out." She purred, reaching between them to undo his pants. Before she could free him, he snapped the ties around his wrists and grabbed her throat.

In the blink of an eye, he had her pinned against the wall. "Perhaps I didn't make myself clear when I left you here." His face was inches from hers. "You aren't my type." He let go of her as if she burned his hand, and began to button his shirt.

"And what is your type? Pathetic Midgardian girls who can barely take care of themselves? You obviously weren't happy or you wouldn't have jumped from the Bifrost!" She snarled, pulling her sleeves back up.

He backhanded her across the face, walking towards the opposite side of the room. "You have no idea what I've been through!" He spun around suddenly, his face threateningly close to hers. "And don't you ever speak another word about Seren."

Her eyes flashed green and sent him flying back with an invisible shockwave. He skid backwards, blocking the blast as best he could.

Amora smiled. "Perhaps the pupil has surpassed the instructor?"

He tried to charge her, but was stopped by an invisible barrier. "This isn't anything that I've taught you."

"Maybe not, but the magic I used to bring you back wouldn't have been possible if you hadn't left me here! You owe me!" She cried.

"You're wrong." He said. She didn't see his projection until it was too late. The projection grabbed her by the throat, lifting her of the ground and breaking the barrier.

Loki walked over to her, watching her struggle in the grip of his projection. "I don't know what you think you know, but your power will never surpass my own. And if I ever see your face again, I will take such pleasure in killing you slowly."

"You're bluffing." She gasped, looking down at him.

He stepped closer, narrowing his eyes. "Please try me. I beg you."

When she said nothing, he turned on his heel and stalked towards the exit. "You bastard! You owe me!" She screamed after him. He paid her no further attention as he pulled the door open and stepped out into the darkness of Svartalfheim.

"Heimdall!!" He yelled into the sky.

Before the Bifrost could suck him into the cosmos, Amora burst through the door of her home. With an angry scream, she used her powers to attack him.

He cursed angrily as something ripped into his side and shoulder. Summoning the darkest powers he knew, he held out his hand, sending forth a massive burst of dark energy. Amora tried to shield herself, but was not fast enough. As multi colored light surrounded him, he watched with satisfaction as she began to bleed from various cuts to her body and fell to the ground.

OoOoOo

Seren sat by the fountain in the gardens, skimming the surface of the water with her fingertips. It had been weeks since Loki's death and she was just starting to feel some sense of normalcy.

Part of her wanted to stay right where she was and bury herself in Loki's bed as she did every night. But the other part of her wanted to suck it up and return to earth, to try to get back into a normal routine that she was familiar with. To live like the human that she was.

She sighed, feeling guilty for thinking the latter. Thor had really stepped up since Loki's death, seeing to her every need since returning from Midgard. He was always watching over her. He made sure that she had whatever she needed. He tried his best to lift her spirits.

But it wasn't enough. She stared into the water, looking at her reflection. She felt like a shell of herself, as if she were watching everything from a distance.

She heard the flap of a cape as Thor landed in the garden behind her. She forced a mask of happiness and turned with a smile.

Thor stared at her almost as if in shock. His eyes were wide and his mouth was slightly parted as if he'd forgotten how to speak. Seren stood quickly, pulling her cloak around her shoulders. "What is it?"

"We found him." He whispered.

Seren sucked in a deep breath and started towards him. Thor met her halfway and lifted her into his arms before taking off into the air at breakneck speed towards the Bifrost.

"Please don't tell him anything..." She pleaded.

Thor looked at her curiously as they landed just outside of the observatory. Thor set her gently on her feet. She looked up at him briefly before starting into the observatory. With each step, her heart hammered mercilessly against her ribcage.

She saw Heimdall kneeling next to someone on the opposite side of the ignition control. She cautiously walked towards him, Thor not far behind.

"Oh my God!"

Loki sat propped up against the observatory wall, bleeding and disheveled. His left knee was bent with his left arm resting on it as he spoke quietly with Heimdall. Hearing her voice, he turned his head and smiled.

"Hello ducky."

She collapsed next to him, throwing her arms around his neck. "I thought you were dead! I watched you die!!" She cried.

He winced as she hit his wounds, but wrapped his arms around her waist and buried his face in her hair. "It's alright now..." He whispered.

She pulled back and began to look him over. "Is it really you?" She held her hands on either side of his face. "Loki you're bleeding! What happened?!"

Thor knelt next to him. "You need a healer."

Loki nodded. "It's a long story..."

Thor wrapped Loki's arm around his shoulders and helped him to his feet.

"I need to get him to a healer." Thor said.

Loki's eyes rolled slightly and his head lolled. Seren nodded quickly. "Go! I'll be right behind you."

Thor tightened his grip on Loki and was gone in an instant, leaving Seren to watch from the doorway.

She turned and looked at Heimdall, a swirl of emotions running through her mind.

"Go to him." Heimdall said.

She pressed her lips together and nodded. "Thank you Heimdall."

OoOoOo

Seren hurried up the steps to the healers ward, focusing on Thor at the opposite side of the wing.

She gave him a curious look when he took her by the arm and stopped her from entering the room.

"Seren-"

"What's wrong?" She asked, suddenly feeling on the verge of hysterics.

"His injuries are serious." He replied.

"But he'll live?" She asked.

He nodded. "He will."

She wrenched her arm free and was about to enter Loki's room.

"There's more, Seren." He said.

She had her hands pressed against the door, but she turned to look at him with weary eyes.

"His wounds are fresh." Thor said, lowering his voice.

"What do you mean, fresh?"

"As in they were still bleeding when he arrived. Eir treated him herself and said as much." He replied.

She thought on his words for the briefest of moments before pushing her way quietly into his room.

Eir looked up at her and placed her finger over her lips, signaling for quiet. Seren walked to the opposite side of his bed and sat in the chair.

He was asleep with his arm in a sling and his ribs bandaged up.

"How is he?" She whispered.

Eir sighed. "His body has been seriously injured and he is weak. Wherever he was, he did a great deal of fighting." She washed her hands in a nearby basin. "He's strong. He'll pull through. You should go rest."

Seren exhaled slowly and gave Eir a faint smile. "Thank you. But you know that I won't be able to."

Eir walked over to her and took her chin gently, forcing her to look up. "You've missed your last two visits with me. How are you feeling? Has the pain subsided?"

"Yes. It stopped a few days ago."

"Are you alright?"

Seren shrugged slightly. "I'm alright."

"I can look in your eyes and tell you aren't. When was the last time you slept?" The elder healer asked.

"Through the night?"

Eir nodded. "That's what I thought. If you wish it, I can give you Shade of Amaranth. It will help you sleep."

"I don't want to leave him." Seren said.

"My dear you do not have to. There is a second bed. I've given him something stronger that will allow him to sleep without pain, but he will be asleep quite possibly for days. So you may as well rest."

Seren looked down at Loki as he slept, watching the slow rise and fall of his chest. Her eyes fell on the scratches that decorated his chest. "It's like he was attacked by an animal." She said quietly.

Eir handed her a small vial of red, sweet smelling liquid. "This will help."

Seren nodded and tilted the vial back. The taste was floral and sweet. Immediately she felt a sense of calm wash over her.

Eir smiled and took the vial back. "I will check on you both in the morning."

Seren eased back into the chair. "Thank you.." She whispered.

OoOoOo

Sometime in the night, Loki awoke with a gasp, looking around wildly.

Thor was immediately at his side, laying his hand on his chest to keep him from tumbling out of bed. "It's alright!"

"No! I've got to stop him before he destroys us all!" Loki cried, trying to get out of the bed.

Thor held him down. "Brother! You're safe! Malekith has been defeated!"

Loki looked up at him in confusion. "No, not Malekith, Thanos! He's taken over the castle!"

Thor shook his head. "I can assure you he has not. You were dreaming!"

Loki stopped struggling and his head fell back with a soft thud against the pillows. He stared up at the ceiling, trying to calm down.

Thor relaxed and returned to his seat next to the bed. Both sat in silence for a moment before Loki finally spoke up.

"Where am I?" He asked quietly.

"You're in the healing ward."

"And you're certain Thanos isn't here?" He sat up and leaned against the headboard, adjusting the pillows behind his back.

Thor leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "Who is this Thanos you speak of?" Thor asked.

Loki swallowed, his mouth suddenly very dry. "Someone I'd like to forget." He turned to look at Thor. "You say you defeated Malekith?"

Thor nodded. "I did."

Loki smiled faintly. "I wish I could have seen the look on his face. I would have thought you would take some time to be with Jane."

"I spent some time with her afterwards. But there were more important matters to attend here." Thor lowered his voice. "Things involving Seren."

"Where is Seren?" Loki asked.

Thor nodded his head. "She sleeps just behind you."

Loki turned, relaxing at the sight of her sleeping in a bed in the far corner. "You said there were things involving Seren...What did you mean?"

"After you were injured, I left Seren in Svartalfheim because I feared Midgard would be too dangerous. As soon as I was on Midgard, I called out to Heimdall to send someone to escort her back to Asgard." Thor looked down at his hands. "After I killed Malekith, I returned home to speak with father. He informed me that Seren had been sick."

Loki glanced at her. "Sick?"

"She was pregnant, Loki. At least five moon cycles." Thor said quietly.

Loki turned to look at him so quickly his neck popped. "What? Five moons?" He smiled at the thought of having a child. "She's certain?"

Thor sighed and sat back in his chair, rubbing his face. "She lost the baby, Loki."

Loki's face immediately fell. "What?"

"It's why I was called back to Asgard after only four weeks on Midgard."

Loki shook his head, trying to understand. "It doesn't make any sense. I was only gone for two or three days..."

"Loki, you were gone for four months."

Loki squeezed his eyes shut. "She...lost the baby?"

Thor nodded solemnly.

Loki lead his head back against the wall. "That's why she was so sick on the way to Svartalfheim. She had to go through all of that alone..." He whispered.

"No. Not alone. I stayed by her side because I knew you would want her taken care of. I only tell you this now because I fear she would not tell you herself. She has essentially shut down."

Loki looked over at him, eyes shining with tears. "Tell me everything."

Thor raised his eyebrows, looking down at his hands. "There's really nothing to tell. She couldn't hold anything down. She was distraught by your death. Servants would catch her roaming the hallways, crying. That's when Father summoned me. I did everything I could to help distract her." He shook his head sadly. "When she began to bleed, Eir tried everything she could to stop it. But it was done."

Loki could only think of one thing as tears slid down his cheeks. "Was it a boy or a girl?"

"A daughter."

A quiet sob escaped Loki's lips as he stared over at Seren as she slept.

"Loki I am so sorry." Thor whispered.

He shook his head slowly. "It wasn't your fault. The fault lies with me. What if it was because of what I am that she lost the child?"

"Loki, no. These things happen. It was just a cruel twist of fate."

He laid his head against the wall and stared up at the ceiling once more. "Fate..." He spat.

"I watched you die on Svartalfheim. Eir said your wounds were fresh. What happened to you?" Thor asked.

"A story for another time. I don't want to talk about it now." Loki replied, refusing to look at him.

"Alright I won't press the matter. You should get some rest. Would you like me to call for a healer?"

"I think I've slept enough."

Thor stood. "Very well. I will return in the morning. Good night."

Loki said nothing as Thor left, closing the door behind him.

OoOoOo

Seren opened her eyes, blinking in the bright light of the twin suns that poured in through the window above her bed.

Outside she could hear the birds chirping. And the soft breathing of someone beside her.

She sat up, taking a moment to wake up. Loki sat in a chair next to her bed.

"Good morning sweetheart." He said.

She pushed her tangled hair out of her face. "Loki? How long have you been there?"

"All night."

"You should be resting.." She said.

"I've rested enough. How are you feeling?" He asked.

She shrugged. "I'm alright. I should be asking you the same question."

"I mean truly." Loki said.

There was a knock on the door and Thor walked in with a bright smile. "Good morning to you both!"

"Thor told me everything." Loki said, ignoring his brother.

Seren looked at Thor sharply. "He did, did he?"

Thor held up his hands. "I'll just be outside...if you need me..." He backed out, closing the door quickly.

"Seren-"

"It's ok, really. I'm ok." She said.

Loki moved into the bed next to her. "I'm so sorry."

"I don't want to talk about it. I want to forget it ever happened." She whispered.

"We don't ever have to discuss it again. But I would like to know. I should share the pain, it may make it easier."

"No...because when I talk about it," her voice cracked and her eyes filled with tears. "I cry. And I haven't cried since the day you died." She hiccupped as she tried to hold back tears. Loki wrapped his his good arm around her, pulling her close. "And now I'm crying and I'm afraid that I won't be able to stop!"

Loki pulled his other arm out of the sling and pulled her close as she sobbed against his chest. "Ssshhh now...."

"I knew you weren't dead! I felt it in my heart! I knew that t-there was no way that we'd go through all that we had...just for you to die!" She cried.

"I'm here now."

"And then I found out that I was pregnant and I should have been happy...But I couldn't. I was afraid I'd never be happy again. I thought it was unfair for you to be taken away. I couldn't eat, I couldn't drink or sleep. But Thor helped me. He stayed with me and made me understand that the baby was a way for you to live on."

She covered her face with her hands, sobbing almost incoherently. "And just as I had accepted it and was beginning to get excited about it...." She sucked in a deep breath. "I lost it. I was just standing at the arena, watching Volstagg and Fandral fight, I did nothing out of the ordinary. I just felt tired and weak. Suddenly I felt a warm sensation and looked down. I was covered in blood. I started screaming. I couldn't stop screaming. Fandral carried me all the way to the healers. He stayed by my side until Thor could get there. But it didn't matter." She looked up at Loki who was now crying along with her. "One minute she was there...the next minute she was gone...like a dream. I'm so sorry! I tried...I really did!" She cried.

Loki ran his fingers through her hair, trying to calm her down, and together they lay down.. "Oh my love...It wasn't anything you did! It was no one's fault." He remembered this words from the previous night. "These things happen...It was just a cruel twist of fate."

She sniffled against his neck, suddenly exhausted. "Fate sucks..."

"Sometimes it does...But without it, you would have never fallen into my life." He gave her a gentle kiss. "Everything will be alright."

They lay together, wrapped tightly in one another until both fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another curve ball. Don't hate. I could technically end the story here...But I won't. Please comment!