Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Twenty-Seven

Thor and Loki sat out on the hills above the river that flowed through the city. Asgard's harvest season was fast approaching and the harbor was full of ships docking, carrying their goods from all corners of the realm.

Seren danced around the grassy field at the base of the hills as a few children from the city chased her around.

"How is she?" Thor asked, biting into the sweet bread he was holding.

Loki rested an arm on his knee, watching as her blonde hair flowed around her face while she dodged the children.

"She's doing remarkably well. She's adjusted so well, if I were none the wiser, I'd believe her to be Asgardian."

"Aye. But as glad I am to hear it, I meant about-"

Loki breathed in through his nose. "I know what you meant." He plucked a blade of grass and twirled it between his thumb and index finger. "It's been ten months since it happened and we don't really talk about it. It's nothing we ever really decided on, but we just don't. It's like it was simply a nightmare."

"She seems to be getting along rather well."

Loki smiled. "Better every day. She may not think it, but sometimes I think she's stronger than me. I'll never truly understand what she went through."

"How are you doing, brother?" Thor asked, looking over at him.

Loki shrugged. "I'm happy, as long as she is. I just want everything to get back to normal and be the way they used to."

"I understand the feeling, but you and I both know that can never be. Too much had happened to all of us. All we can do now is..." He sighed, searching for the right words. He chuckled, his hand flitting through the air dismissively. "You were always so much better at speeches."

Loki laughed, letting the blade of grass fall from his fingers.

"What I'm trying to say is, as with any great battle, we go forth. We never retreat. And we never give up. We will live our lives, taking whatever comes our way, and create a new, better, normal."

"Thor, I am thoroughly impressed." Loki laughed.

Thor smiled. "It's true. I want us all to be happy again."

"And what of your Jane?" Loki asked.

He looked down at his hands. "She is well. Last I checked."

"Are you still using Heimdall to spy on her?" Loki asked with a smirk. He leaned back in the grass on his elbows.

"I'm not spying on her! I simply ask him to watch over her when I cannot be there." Thor stated.

"Why have you not brought her here? Surely it must get exhausting traveling back and forth for a few stolen moments."

Thor sighed. "I don't know. I suppose I don't think she is ready."

"What makes you so certain? Have you spoken with her about it?" The look on Thor's face answered his question. "Why not?"

It was Thor's turn to shrug and fidget with the suddenly interesting grass. "It didn't seem important at the time. I wanted to be sure that you and Seren were alright before anything else."

Loki leaned his head back, squinting in the sunlight. He smiled at him. "Thank you, brother."

"There's no need for thanks. It's a natural occurrence between brothers."

The two sat in silence, listening to the birds chirping and the wind rustling through the grass.

"How did we come to this?" Loki asked.

"What do you mean?"

"We are the princes of Asgard. Reduced to stutters and sighs by two mortal women."

Thor began to chuckle, igniting laughter from Loki and soon the two were laughing like children.

"Oh what people must think of us." Thor said.

"I never paid them any thought before. Why would I start now?"

"Surely it must seem scandalous!"

"Well, we are both accustomed to scandal. We have all our lives ahead to create more. To give them something to talk about." Loki said.

Suddenly, their laughter died. "Our lives, yes. But what of theirs? Seren and Jane are mortal." Thor said.

Loki sat up at the sobering thought. "I've thought about it."

Thor straightened up. "And?"

"I've lived for hundreds of years. I've no issue relinquishing my powers." Loki said.

"And what? Become mortal?" Thor scoffed.

Loki smiled. "You seem surprised."

"Oh I am." Thor took a gulp from his cask of mead.

"Well you shouldn't be. You know full well that I'd do anything for her. And as much as I love you, she is quite prettier. And not my brother."

Thor snorted, nearly spraying Loki with his drink. "And how do you plan to do this?"

"I'll ask father."

"What if Seren doesn't want that? What if she wants to become immortal?"

"Then I will fight to the top of IĆ°unn's tree and wrestle the golden apples from it myself."

Thor couldn't fight the smile that tugged at his lips. "Perhaps I would join you. I long for a light hearted adventure, though it would still be risky."

Loki chuckled. "It would be like old times."

Thor finished his drink and sighed. "The things we would do for love, eh?"

"I would do anything for her." Loki watched Seren, skirts in hand, jog up the hillside to join them. His breath caught in his throat.

Her cheeks were flushed pink and her chest rose quickly as she tried to catch her breath. Her cloak billowed in the wind.

She smiled brightly. "Loki, what is it?" She lifted her hands, running her fingers through her hair. "Is there something in my hair??"

He shook his head and quickly jumped to his feet, giving her a slight start. He placed a hand gently on either side of her face and pressed his lips to hers in a kiss that left her breathless when he pulled away.

Thor tossed a grape in his mouth, watching with a smile.

"Loki what-"

"I can't go a second longer without you as my wife. Marry me." He said, holding her hands in his.

She smiled. "Ok. When?"

"Now! Right this moment! Not a second later!" He cried with a grin.

She looked around, seeing nothing but high golden grass fields and the harbor down below. "Right here? Loki we're in the middle of a field."

"I'll go wherever you wish as long as it happens today." He said.

She chewed her bottom lip. "On such short notice? Will there even be someone who could marry us? Or allow us to use their property?"

Loki laughed. "I'm a Prince silly girl. Technically it's all our property. And father would do the ceremony. He performs the ceremonies of all nobles."

Seren felt a surge of adrenaline and it was all she could do to keep from jumping up and down like a child. "Alright, let's do it!"

Loki laughed aloud as she launched herself into his arms.

Thor stood and clapped his hands together. "This is wonderful!"

OoOoOo

Seren held Loki's hand tightly as they walked up the steps to the throne, suddenly nervous as all eyes of the court fell on them.

Loki gave her hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Prince Loki, what is your urgent matter?" Odin asked.

Loki straightened up, holding his head high. Seren did the same, but kept her eyes cast down. "The Lady Seren and I wish to marry."

A shocked murmur went through the crowd. She could hear the whispers all around her, echoing off the marble walls.

Odin sat, unphased, looking down at her. "Is this truly your wish?"

She nodded. "Yes sir...er..your highness."

"Very well. When will this union take place?"

Seren glanced at Loki who winked at her. "All Father, we ask for it to be done now. This very moment."

Another murmur erupted through the crowd.

"Why so soon?" Odin asked.

"Because I cannot wait another moment. She is my match in every way and I fear I may die if we do not marry soon." Loki answered.

Odin turned his gaze towards her. "Lady Seren?"

"Because I love him. And as misguided as his past actions have been, I never doubted his love for me." She replied, looking up at Loki.

Odin remained silent for a brief moment as the people in the court whispered amongst themselves. Seren was beginning to worry that he was not going to allow it when he tapped the but of Gungnir against the dais steps.

Everyone fell silent as Odin stood, towering over them.

"Very well. If both parties consent, then let it be done. But today is not the day." He said.

Loki's brow furrowed but before he could ask why, Odin spoke again.

"There are things we must discuss. I will see both of you this evening at dinner."

Loki closed his mouth and nodded. "Thank you father. Until this evening."

Seren smiled and bowed her head before being led out by Loki.

"What's wrong?" She asked as he led her towards his room.

They began to climb the stairwell. "I don't know." He said quietly.

"Don't be upset. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about." She replied.

"I'm not upset." He answered quickly.

"Ok. Whatever."

They turned the corner and entered his room. Loki immediately poured himself a glass of wine and took a seat by the balcony.

"What's on your mind, Loki?" She asked, following him.

He took a gulp of wine. "I'm just wondering what it is he wishes to discuss."

The suns were beginning to set, carrying a golden glow over the city. Seren ran her hands over the marble railing and sighed.

"Your father doesn't strike me as the type to beat around the bush." She said.

"I beg your pardon?"

She laughed. "He speaks his mind. If there was something about us getting married that he didn't like, he would have said so, am I right?"

She turned and leaned against the railing with her elbows. He rested his elbows on his knees, twirling the wine glass between his hands. "You aren't wrong." He said.

"Then don't worry about it! We both know there are worse things than not getting exactly what we ask for. He didn't say no. He said yes, we just have to wait and talk to him." She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath as a warm breeze blew through her hair.

Loki's breath caught in his throat and he dropped the glass. When seen opened her eyes, it was to find Loki standing right in front of her.

She gasped and he gently placed his hand on her cheek. He swallowed past the lump that had formed in his throat. "For just a split second, you looked like you would disappear..." He whispered.

She looked up at him with a smile, placing her hand over his. "I'm not going anywhere." She replied.

He exhaled and brought his lips down on hers. A groan escaped his lips as she ran her hands through his hair, pulling him down to her and deepening their kiss.

The move suddenly had them both sliding to the marble floor, fumbling with one another's clothing. With a frustrated growl, Loki ripped her dress, trailing kisses down her throat to her newly exposed shoulder.

Seren wrapped her arms around him, trying to pull him as close to her as she could. He eased her back until she was laying on the cool floor.

It had been months since the last time they had been intimate, and a lot had changed since then. He broke their kiss. "Seren...are you sure?"

She pushed her hair out of her face, looking up at him. "Yes." She pulled him back down, bringing her leg up against his waist.

He pushed her skirts up, trailing his fingers up her thigh. She tugged at his pants, trying to free the now binding fabric. He hissed as her hand found him and released him.

Loki heard the door to his chambers open.

"Loki? I heard about what hap-oh by the Norns!" Thor cried, turning his back quickly.

"Thor! What the hell?!" Seren cried, sitting up. She grabbed her gown, pulling it up to cover herself. Loki quickly adjusted himself, zipping his pants.

"I'm sorry my lady! Truly I am!" Thor said.

Loki smoothed his hair back and stood, helping Seren to her feet.

"I thought the days of you barging into my room unannounced were done, Thor." Loki asked, waving his hand over her. Her torn gown was instantly repaired.

"Forgive my intrusion. I'd only heard of father's decision and wanted to talk to you." He replied.

Loki helped Seren down the balcony stairs and into his drawing room. Thor turned and followed them, taking a seat by the fireplace.

"Father will allow the marriage, but has a few things he'd like to discuss beforehand. Nothing more." He handed Seren a glass of wine and held out one for Thor who graciously accepted it.

Thor cleared his throat and gulped down the wine. "And are you alright with that?"

Loki looked over at Seren who was leaning against the mantle. "I am."

She smirked, knowing better.

Thor smiled. "Excellent. I was worried."

"About what, brother?" Loki asked.

"We both know that neither of us has a good temper. But we both have changed, I'd like to think for the better."

Loki smiled and sat across from Thor. "I believe we have."

"Again I apologize for barging in as I did. Old habits die hard, they say."

Loki was watching Seren as she fiddled with the bodice of her dress, suddenly wishing Thor had never shown up. She looked up, meeting his lustful gaze.

"What do you suppose father is wanting to discuss?" Thor asked.

Loki winked at Seren. "I honestly have no clue." He patted his thigh and Seren smiled, taking a seat on his knee. He wrapped an arm around her waist. "It matters not. I'm still going to marry this magnificent creature." He kissed her neck, just along her jaw.

Thor averted his eyes. "Are you planning the traditional Asgardian wedding?"

"Absolutely not. I cannot wait another three days."

Seren looked down at him. "Well, what's a traditional Asgardian wedding?"

Loki rolled his eyes as Thor chuckled. "Wonderful, Thor."

Seren looked at them both. "What?"

"You and Loki are kept apart until the wedding. The bride is taken to the bathhouse along with the women of her family who give her advise about being a wife..."

Loki was trying to signal for Thor to stop talking, rolling his eyes when he got the hint too late.

"It sounds like a Midgardian wedding. When the bride is trying to get ready, all the women crowd around her giving her advise weather she wants it or not." Seren said. "Tell me more."

Thor shrugged. "Well, it's really not practiced anymore. The ceremony was very formal and....stiff. A lot of sword exchanging, sacrificing..."

Seren nearly choked on her wine. "What the hell? Sacrificing?!"

"It's not done on Asgard." Loki said sharply, glancing at Thor. "Thousands of years ago midgardians would sacrifice an animal of their choosing to us. Well, our mother. She was seen by them as the Goddess of fidelity, and they would sacrifice these animals in hopes of having a long, fruitful marriage."

Seren frowned in disgust. "How very primitive of them. Did it do them any good?"

Thor snorted and Loki smiled widely. "No. We had no sway over their lives any more than they did ours. Whatever happened in their marriage was a product of their own making."

"Have you ever seen a midgardian wedding? Well, American wedding?" She asked.

Both men shook their heads and Seren smiled. "It's extremely stressful, but most of them are beautiful. The bride wears a really pretty white gown and veil and carries a bunch of flowers." When they looked at her with their brows furrowed she shrugged. "It's supposed to symbolize purity, I don't know. But the groom wears a nice tuxedo and both of them have their maids and groomsmen. All the guests wait and watch as the bride walks down the isle but to the bride and groom, everyone is invisible because all they can see are each other. They say their vows, they kiss, and then they eat cake and dance. It's really fun. And sweet. And no one sacrifices an animal. Except maybe a cow for steak..but it doesn't happen in front of everyone."

Loki watched her as she rambled, feeling his love for her grow with every breath she took. He turned her face towards his and kissed her.

Thor looked away, finishing off his wine. "Well, I'm going to find Sif and the warriors three." He stood. "See what mischief we can find tonight."

Loki broke away from Seren with a gasp. "Leave the mischief to me, brother. Stick with what you know." He tumbled back on the settee, pulling Seren down with him.

Thor gave him a tight lipped smile and quickly retreated to the hallway.

Seren laughed. "I don't think I've ever seen Thor look so uncomfortable."

Loki grinned. "I'm sure it was worse when he first walked in. Why don't we pick up where we left off?"

Seren nudged his nose with her own. "As tempting as that sounds, I do believe we have a previous engagement with you your dad."

Loki groaned and let his head fall back. "Very well. But we will conclude this discussion," he sat up with her. "After dinner." He brushed her hair back, kissing her bare shoulder. "Perhaps over desert?" He glanced up at her, wiggling his eyebrows.

OoOoOo

Loki opened the door to the King's private dining room, allowing Seren to enter first.

The room was spacious with a large oak table and six large chairs. A golden-horned chandelier hung from the vaulted ceiling.

Odin sat at the head of the table, reading over some documents.

"Hello father." Loki said.

Odin looked up as the couple entered. "Ah. Good evening. Sit. Dinner will be served shortly."

Loki pulled a chair out for Seren and then took his seat at the opposite end of the table across from the All Father.

Seren glanced at Loki and have him a faint, reassuring smile.

"You wished to speak with us?" He asked.

Without looking up from the papers, Odin answered. "I did." He continued writing.

The only noise to be heard was the crackling of the wood in the fire place. Loki's apprehension was growing by the second.

"Where will you live?" Odin asked, finally setting his pen down.

"I don't understand the question." Loki replied.

"Yourself and Seren. When you are wed, where will the two of you reside? Will you stay in Asgard or will you follow her to Midgard?" The All Father asked.

At that moment, several servants entered carrying trays of streaming food. They placed the food on the table and filled their glasses with mead.

Loki waited for them to exit before answering. "We have not discussed it."

Odin took a bite out of a potato. "If you should decide on the latter, there are certain measures we should take so that you are not discovered."

Loki nodded, swallowing a bite of his food. "Thank you."

Seren lifted her glass and took a sip.

"What about children?" Odin asked.

Seren inhaled sharply, choking on the liquid.

"What of them?" Loki asked sharply.

Odin looked at him. "Will you have any?"

Loki could feel Seren's eyes on him. "What does this have to do with anything?" He asked slowly.

"Please just answer the question. I know it may be a sensitive subject."

"Well..." He looked over at Seren. "I would love children but-"

"I want more." Seren interrupted.

"There will be tests to be sure that you can carry a child. There are measures we can take if either of you should choose otherwise." Odin said. "And lastly, you are both aware that Loki ages much slower than a human. Are you prepared to watch her age while you stay young?"

Seren and Loki glanced at one another, unsure of what to say.

Odin sighed and set his fork down. "I realize this seems an odd conversation for meal time, but these are questions that need to be answered prior to your wedding." He looked at Loki, who couldn't mask the look of suspicion on his face. "I was wrong, all this years ago. Your mother and I should have raised you knowing the truth. That no matter who gave birth to you, you are and will always be my son. I can't imagine how hard that was on you nor can I blame you for your anger. We both acted foolishly and I hope that you will forgive me as I have forgiven you."

Loki was bombarded by a rush of emotions as he struggled to find the right response. He felt his throat tighten with emotion and forced a smile. "That is all I've wished to hear, father. Thank you for your kind words."

The two men shared a brief moment before Odin cleared his throat. "As I was saying, I feel those the subjects should be discussed before you wed. I will give you three days to discuss it and come to an agreement. Then we shall move forward with the wedding."

Seren sipped her wine and looked at Loki. "I think that's fair. We've waited this long, what's three more days?"

Loki exhaled and nodded in agreement. "Very well. Three days it is."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment! Sorry for the delay, my baby boy had to have surgery so I've been preoccupied. I think there is going to be one or two more chapters until the conclusion, then I'm starting on my Winter Soldier fic. Much love!!