Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Loki closed the door to Odin's chambers and turned to make the walk back to his chambers. The hour was late and the hall was dimly lit.

Seren was a few feet ahead of him dragging her fingers along the wall. The night was warm with a cool breeze blowing through the large windows.

She turned and smiled at him, walking backwards.

Loki grinned. "What's on your mind sweetheart?"

"I'm just happy." She backed up against the large wooden door of their room.

He leaned in for a kiss but she opened the door and slipped in before he could.

He closed the door and Seren launched herself into his arms, throwing her own around his neck. "We're going to get married!"

Loki spun her around, pressing his lips to hers, suddenly remembering their unfinished business from earlier. He carried her to his bed and she laughed as he dropped her onto the mattress.

He looked down at her, removing his cloak. "We are going to get married. But tonight..." He began to unbutton his tunic.

Seren pushed herself up on her elbows, all but drooling as he removed his shirt. The moonlight cast an ethereal glow on his pale, toned flesh.

"Tonight is the honeymoon." He said, pouncing on her. She squealed as he ripped her gown from her body and commenced to re-exploring every part of her body.

OoOoOo

With a moan that could have woken the entire castle, Loki collapsed next to Seren who was left trembling and gasping for breath.

Seren felt warm and tingly as if she'd just put back two shots of whiskey. Her eyes heavy she closed them and sighed, content.

Once Loki caught his breath, he propped himself up on his elbow. Looking down at her, he lifted her golden hair, letting it fall through his fingers like water.

"I can feel you staring at me..." She said, keeping her eyes closed.

He smiled. "Should I not?"

She smiled and rolled onto her side, facing him.

"You are so beautiful." He said.

Her smile widened and she blushed. "So are you."

He laughed. She moved closer to him until her nose was pressed against his chest. He rolled onto his back and she pressed her cheek to his chest, listening to the drum-like beat of his heart.

"Earlier at dinner..." He said.

"Yeah?"

"Did you mean it when you said you wanted more children?"

She opened her eyes. "Yes."

"And you're certain?"

"Don't you?" She asked.

"I do, but not at the cost of losing you."

"You don't know that that will happen, Loki." She said.

"But I do not know that it won't. I will not survive in a world where you don't."

"Loki..." She looked up at him, stroking his cheek gently. "I'm not going anywhere. At least not anytime soon. And definitely not before you." She said, attempting to lighten the mood.

"You're not helping. Which brings up the other point. What father said was true. I age at a much slower rate than you. Asgardian children essentially stop aging once they reach maturity."

"But you aren't Asgardian. And I'm human. So theoretically we don't know what would happen."

Loki fell silent as he thought over her words. "It could be dangerous for you."

Seren scoffed. "I'm human! Everything is dangerous for me. I could slip and crack my head on this beautiful Asgardian marble floor. It happens."

"I'll look into getting a rug-"

"Loki!"

He gave her a faint smile. "I was joking."

She smirked and fiddled with her hair, long it around her finger. "You see my point?"

"I do. You are human and I am not. And the way I see it, there is one of two ways to remedy the current predicament. You become, for lack of a better term, immortal, or I become human."

She looked at him as if he had sprouted a second head. "What?"

"I believe I was perfectly clear." He replied. She looked at him so, that he had started to wonder if he had indeed sprouted that second head.

"You can do that?? I could do that?"

"Father did speak of certain measures."

Seren bit her lip. "I could do that?" All kinds of images of her and Loki raising children on earth suddenly flooded her mind. She shook her head. "I couldn't ask you to give up everything you have for-"

"You?" He chuckled and laid back with his hands folded under his head. "Sweetheart, I would destroy worlds to be with you. Say the word and I'll do it."

She smacked his arm. "That's not funny Loki."

"But you know I would. And I would be happy to do so."

"What would I have to do to become..like you?" She asked, deciding to change the subject.

"Well, one would have to track down Iðunn. She is keeper of the golden apples. One apple gives immortality."

"And she will just give you an apple? Just like that?"

Loki laughed. "No. On a good day and with anyone else, she would ask a favor in return. For me, she'd sooner bathe in the boiling acid pits of Muspelheim."

"Crap Loki, what did you do to her?"

"It's a story for another time. Let's just say it involves two birds and a chestnut."

"Wow. Ok. So she won't give you the apple. But what about me?"

Now it was Loki's turn to stare at her in bewilderment. "You're human."

"Yea. We've established this."

"No human has ever laid eyes on Iðunn, much less bargained for her apples. I don't even know where she is."

"Well you must know something if she's as mad at you as you say."

"She never stays in one place for too long. For her safety and everyone else's."

"So she's dangerous?" Seren asked, sitting up.

"Yes. That tree is the source of our longevity. If it is ever damaged or destroyed, so are we. Without it we would become mortal and eventually die."

"It's what we humans do best I suppose. So what would you have to do to become mortal? I kind of like the idea of us living on earth, raising or children. We could raise them on my grandparents farm, then we'd always have a back door to Asgard."

Loki smiled. "Father uses a great deal of his power to take back the immortality. He took Thor's when he banished him to New Mexico."

Seren huffed. "I don't know what I want to do."

Loki sat up and gathered the blanket around his shoulders. "I like your idea."

She rolled her eyes and smirked. "Which one?"

"Living on Midgard. I grew quite fond of the property."

Seren smiled brightly. "Really? You would do that?"

He pulled her close, wrapping the blanket around both of them. "Do you even have to ask?" Loki asked.

"I suppose that just leaves the last question. Eat the apples or live as mortals."

"We could compromise. Live as humans on earth, until our children are grown. When they come of age, we could return to Asgard and consume the apples as a family."

Seren's mouth fell open. "You truly are genius Loki."

He chuckled, laying them both back down. "You're just figuring that out?"

OoOoOo

Three days seemed to drag by for both of them. Each paced the castle, desperate for a distraction from the wait.

Loki found his on the morning of the second day when Thor burst into their before the sun had risen.

Seen shot up like a rocket, tumbling out of the bed onto the floor. Loki merely rolled onto his stomach, burying his head under the pillows.

"Good morning to you both!" Thor said with a smile.

Seren stood and collapsed onto the bed. "Do you even know what time it is?" She groaned, gasping for blankets.

"I've come to collect my brother, if you can spare him for the day."

Seren waved her hand dismissively, giving her permission silently.

"Collect me for what?" Loki asked, his voice muffled.

"Vanaheim's festival of life." Thor answered.

Loki sat up quickly, throwing the blankets off him. "That's today?!"

Thor laughed. "It is. We'll wait for you at the Bifrost." He nodded towards Seren. "Apologies for startling you."

"It's cool. I should be used to it by now." She mumbled, eyes closed.

Loki began to dress. "I'll return tonight."

"What is it?"

He buttoned his leather overcoat. "Vanaheim's celebration of life. It's similar to our harvest. Vanaheim is known for its agriculture. They grow the finest crops."

"You made it sound exciting."

"The festival itself is not. But their ale and mead are the finest in all the nine. And the fighting matches are extremely entertaining, no weapons. Hand to hand combat only! I'll bring you back some sweet logs if I find any." He leaned down and kissed her.

"Be careful and have fun." She said.

"I love you." He said opening his door.

She rolled onto her stomach, burrowing under the blankets. "Love you too.."

OoOoOo

Seren woke later that morning to a servant bustling about the room. She pushed her hair back and sat up on her elbows.

"Can I help you?"

The young woman gave a start. "I'm sorry my lady! I did not mean to wake you"

Seren sighed and tossed the blankets off her. "It's ok. I didn't mean to scare you."

"The All Father requests your presence at breakfast. Shall I send someone to help you get ready?"

Seren paused mid stretch. "Me? Did he say what he wanted?"

She shook her head. "Apologies. I was not given that information. Shall I call for someone?"

Seren was about to say no when she remembered Loki was not there. He usually snapped his fingers and she was instantly dressed. She sadly had no idea how to dress in their numerous layers. "Yes, please."

OoOoOo

Seren gave a polite smile to the guard who opened the door to Odin's private dining room.

"Ah. Lady Seren. Good morning." Odin said.

"Good morning."

He offered his arm. "Please join me on the veranda."

She took his arm as he led her onto the balcony. The sun was warm on her skin and the air was crisp like autumn. She sat at the table.

"How are you this morning?" Odin signaled to a servant. "I trust you slept well?"

"Yes sir. Um, sorry. Yes your highness, thank you for asking." She replied, lifting a cup to her lips. "Coffee?" She arched her brow.

Odin smiled. "Complements of one Tony Stark. A friend of Thor's, I believe you know him?"

Seren nodded, nearly draining the cup in one mouthful. "We're acquainted." She set the cup down. "I have missed that drink more than I'd care to admit."

Odin chuckled. "Thor developed a fondness for it during his first stay on Midgard. I must admit it is very good indeed."

"It's even better with sugar and cream. Makes it a bit sweeter."

Odin raised his cup in silent agreement and a slight nod. She set her cup down.

"But I don't think you've brought me here to discuss the numerous ways to drink coffee." She said.

His took a sip of his drink, eyes smiling at her. "My late wife was right about you, as she was with many things. You're very perceptive." He set the cup down. "No. I did not bring you here for such discussions."

She knew by his tone that he expected her to ask, so she did. "Then why did you bring me here?"

He pondered on the question momentarily. "I have always seemed distant with my sons. It's difficult to to be a father. It is even more difficult to be a father and a king. Each one bears great responsibility. And it was terribly difficult to divide my time between Thor and Loki, and the rest of the kingdom. While I cannot undo the things I have or have not done, I can see to it that I do better for the future. I know you've been visiting Asgard since you were a child. I knew you were here when you didn't think I did. And I knew how Loki felt about you before he did."

Seren began to shift in her seat, feeling nervous under his penetrating gaze. "If you knew all of this, then why did you have my memories erased?"

"I was in a dark place. I believe we all were. I fear my reasons were selfish. Loki had believed himself above all law. He knew that I would never put him to death. Regardless of what he'd done, he was my son. He tried to convince us that he was no longer the boy we'd raised. Frigga knew better. It was for that reason that I made the decision to erase your memories. I now see the error in the decision and I hope that you will forgive me."

Seren was at a loss for words. She'd not been around much royalty but she was almost positively sure that Kings did not go around admitting their faults and begging forgiveness often. So many thoughts suddenly flooded her brain. She had so many angry things she wanted to say, but all she could manage was a quiet "Yes."

She mentally kicked herself for not being more brave.

Odin smiled. "I am glad. I hope that we can go forward with positivity. I brought you here so that we could become better acquainted. You are going to become my daughter tomorrow, after all. I'd like to get to know more about you."

Seren smiled despite herself. "Alright."

OoOoOo

She spent the day with Odin, accompanying him around the castle and throughout Asgard. He explained to her about Asgardian culture and about Asgard's relationships with the other realms. And she in turn told him about her life. Eventually they ended up at the Bifrost just as the suns were setting.

Odin pulled a small black bag from his pocket. "This belonged to Frigga. I gave it to her on our wedding day and I've no doubt she'd want you to have it." Odin held up a golden necklace with a large sapphire pendant the size of her palm.

Seren's mouth dropped involuntarily. "Oh my g- it's beautiful."

"Allow me."

She pulled her hair up as he clasped it around her neck.

He stood back and smiled. "It suits you my dear."

She opened her mouth to reply but the unmistakable hum and vibration of the gate opening stole the words from her lips.

Thor was the first to exit the observatory. "Father! Lady Seren!" He held his arms out and grinned.

"Thor, I trust you enjoyed yourself?" Odin asked.

He chuckled. "Aye. However I believe Loki enjoyed himself more."

Seren snorted as Volstagg exited the observatory with Loki slung over his massive shoulder.

Hogun and Fandral followed next, the latter looking very drowsy.

Odin smiled. "Stay out of trouble." He turned to go back to the castle. "And get your rest! Tomorrow is an important day."

The group watched as he disappeared behind the city gates.

"Wow. Must have been some festival." Seren said.

"It was! We bet on a few fights." Thor glanced over at Loki. "Loki lost the bets. It was like old times."

Loki groaned and looked up at Seren. He smiled but his face looked green. "Seren...I love you."

She smiled. "I love you too."

He reached up for her but couldn't quite reach. "I love your hair..."

Volstagg's brow furrowed. "Is he going to vomit?" He turned his head to glance back at the Prince dangling from his shoulder. "Are you going to vomit?!"

Loki squirmed to get down. Volstagg dropped him like a hot iron and he scrambled over to the edge of the rainbow bridge. He stood looking over the edge into the abyss, but he never threw up. He just stood there looking down.

Seren walked over to him and touched his shoulder gently. "Loki?"

He turned to look at her and she could see regret in his eyes. "I'm sorry..." He said. She slipped her hand into his.

He turned to look at all of them. "I'm sorry. For everything. I know I've done wrong by all of you in some way, and I don't deserve a second chance."

Thor stepped forward and clapped Loki on the shoulder. "You will never have to ask my forgiveness, brother. You'll always have it."

"Of course you're forgiven Loki. But if you plan on having another breakdown, warn us ahead of time, eh?" Fandral said.

"Forgiveness does not change the past." Hogun said quietly.

Loki nodded. He was about to speak when Hogun held his hand out. "But it does change the future." Hogun replied.

Loki smiled faintly and clasped Hogun's arm.

"This is...the best day! Like days of old!" Volstagg glanced at all of them. "I never thought I'd see this day!" He wiped a tear from his eye and the group chuckled.

Loki swayed slightly next to Seren. "You ok?"

His face had turned the tale tell shade of green once more. "Hmm mm. Nope." He said.

Seren barely had time to move before Loki leaned over the bridge and vomited.

"Oh norns!" Volstagg cried, gagging. He quickly walked away.

Seren rubbed Loki's back as he heaved, looking up at the sky. "Ok...there you go..." She said soothingly.

Loki stayed hunched over the bridge well after he'd stopped throwing up. Thor looped his arm around his shoulders, helping him stand.

"Come let's get you to bed. You've a wedding to attend tomorrow."

Loki didn't protest as he was lead away by his brother and bride to be. He glanced over his shoulder at Volstagg. "Is he alright?" He called.

Fandral looked up with a smile as Hogun patted Volstagg's back. "He'll live!" He looked back down at the giant warrior as he heaved again. "Honestly? Where do you keep all of that food?"

Loki smiled before Thor launched into the air, leading him to the castle and blessed sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter will more than likely be the last. To the thirty or so people who read this, thanks for sticking with me! Even if you don't comment, thanks for reading. I'll start working on my Winter Soldier fic after this one is done.