Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Three

"Is she alright?" Thor asked.

"I don't know. She's suffered a great loss. I think sleeping is the way she copes with it." Loki said, drawing the drapes over the windows. Seren lay in the middle of the large oversized bed in one of the guest chambers of the palace.

Thor had met them at Lake Amethyst, using Mjolnir to launch him into the air and catch Seren as she and Loki fell through the portal. Loki had used his magic to land on the shore. Together, the two brothers carried her back to the castle, sneaking her in through the servants quarters. That had been almost two days ago.

"Her people will be looking for her." Thor said, tipping back his drink.

"Just give her a little longer." Loki said, stoking the fire in the large pit at the center of the room.

"Not too long. You don't want to risk father finding out and your little trick blinding Heimdall from this room may not lay forever." Thor replied, tossing some grapes into his mouth.

"Your concern is touching brother." Loki said, tying his cloak. "But is unwarranted. She needs her rest. Now come, we need to make our appearance before our absence is noticed." He opened the door. Once Thor walked out, Loki locked the door behind him and tucked it away in his breast pocket.

"You know she can't stay here." Thor said quietly, nodding politely at two healers that passed by.

"I understand that, Thor." Loki replied, starting forward as they walked towards the throne room.

"Do you? She's not one of us."

Loki stopped, his brow furrowed. "What does that have to do with anything? Does that make her beneath us?"

"No no no Loki. That isn't my meaning-"

"Well by all means, explain." Loki snapped.

"I care for Seren as much as you. I simply meant that she is mortal. There are many things here that could harm her." Thor said, clapping him on the shoulder.

Loki glanced over his shoulder and saw their mother walking towards them. "Like I said, I understand that. Good evening mother."

Frigga smiled and kissed them both on the cheek. "Your father would like to speak with the two of you in the war room."

"Is everything alright?" Loki asked.

She smiled and nodded. "Yes my love. Now go, you don't want to keep him waiting."OoOoOo

Loki and Thor pushed through the giant golden doors of the war room. Fandral and Volstagg stood by the large round table looking rather sober. Chief advisor Renvik stood next to Hifnilvur the head of the einherjar, both were in deep conversation with Odin. A guard leaned forward, announcing the two brothers.

"Ah, my sons have arrived. Please, take your seats." Odin said.

Thor and Loki glanced at one another before taking the first seats on either side of the Allfather. "It is time as princes of Asgard, that the two of you sit in on the war council."

"Are we at war, father?" Loki asked.

"No. But as I've said in the past, we must always be prepared for it.  Though we are not at war, there is always unrest somewhere in the nine realms. We must remain strong and ready. The two of you will be of age soon, and until such a time, Thor, you will be touring the nine with Hifnilvur. Loki, you will be with Renvik, acting as an ambassador to the nine."

Thor made a face and blew out a breath. "Is this your will, father?"

"Yes. You will do this, and you will do so without complaint." Odin snapped. "You will meet at the Bifrost in three days time."

"Yes father." The brothers replied.

OoOoOo

Loki walked down the hall towards his chambers several hours after the meeting with Odin. He heard the clicking of a door and looked up in time to see Seren slipping out into the hall.

He took her by the arm causing her to turn and shriek. He opened the door and pulled her in.

"Loki what are you doing?!" She asked.

"Me? What are you doing? You can't just wander through the castle, what if someone had seen you?" It was then he noticed the light blue gown she wore. "What are you wearing?"

"Loki, I know that I raised you to treat ladies better than that." Loki spun around. Frigga stood by the fire pit on the balcony, smiling.

Loki immediately straightened up, releasing Seren. "Mother."

Frigga chuckled as she glided the balcony steps into his sitting room. "Calm yourself dearest. Seren and I have just had a lovely chat."

"You...have?" He asked, his confusion written across his face.

"Yeah, we have." Seren said, running her arm.

"Both of you, come. Sit." Frigga said, gesturing toward the large sofa by the oversized, obsidian fireplace. Loki held his hand out and Seren took it, allowing him to escort her to where the queen waited patiently

"Loki, you are old enough to know better than to try to hide your secrets from me." Frigga said, sitting down before them.

"I'm sorry mother." Loki mumbled.

"I'm not angry, no apology is needed. Seren is a good girl, a smart girl. And I trust her to keep the knowledge of our realm secret."

"Why do you trust her? You've never met her." Loki asked, to which Seren made a face.

Frigga smiled. "I am an excellent judge of character, Loki. And if I remember correctly, I caught you and Thor trying to sneak her into the castle several years back."

Loki and Seren glanced at one another briefly.

Frigga stood. "I understand the importance of friendship and the need to talk to someone who doesn't see you as royalty. Seren will always be welcome here. Now, I will leave the two of you to talk." She looked down at Seren and took her chin in her hand. "I am deeply saddened by your loss. If you anything, you have but to ask."

Seren's eyes shimmered with tears. "Thank you, your highness."

Frigga placed gentle kids on Loki's cheek and bid them goodnight.

They say in silence for a moment before Seren turned to him. "She's really nice, you know."

"The finest woman I know." Loki said, staring into the empty fire place.

"Loki, I'm sorry for screaming at you like I did." She said quietly.

"Seren, it's alright-"

"No. Hell no it's not. You are my best friend and if you ha-hadn't been there..." She pressed her hand to get chest in an attempt to control her emotions. "You saved my life, and I was wrong to blame you for what happened."

Loki leaned forward and hugged her. "It's alright...."

"I was wrong. So wrong for doing that. I can't survive this whole thing alone." She said, wiping her face.

"I'll always be here for you, you know that. If ever you need me, you only have to call my name. I'll appear in any mirror or reflective surface that you look into." He said.

Seren smiled. "That is a pretty awesome trick.

Loki gave her a slightly lopsided grin and brushed his hair out of his eyes. "I've been practicing."

"So you had a meeting with your dad?" She said.

Loki nodded. "I am apparently the new ambassador for Asgard."

"Wow, Loki that's a big deal."

"I have to leave in three days."

"How long will you be gone?"

"I'm not sure. But, there are seven other realms which are quite large, so I imagine it will be quite some time." He replied.

"Oh." Seren stood and walked to the fireplace, touching the mantle gently. "I need to get back soon anyways." She glanced over her shoulder and smiled. "School won't wait."

Loki stood and walked out onto the balcony. "You know don't have to leave right away."

She walked around the large room, tracing the delicate carvings on the walls. A large wooden desk sat in the far corner the room, facing the large windows. On it sat an inkwell and stack of parchment. "I do. I disappeared after both my grandparents died. People are probably freaking out. And I'm sure there's going to be some kind of legal crap."

"What do you mean, legal?" Loki asked, sitting on the steps.

Seren sat in front of him on the black fur rug, spreading the fabric of her gown out around her. "I'm only sixteen. I can't live alone without a guardian." She said, pulling her knees to her chest. She rest her chin on her knees.

"Do you not any other family?" Loki asked.

"Nope. You know that. Mom died right after I was born and dad left not too long after. Mom was an only child and my other grandparents died a few years back."

"Then why are you going back if you have no one there?" Loki asked.

Seren looked up at him.

He rubbed his face and sighed. "I'm sorry, that was insensitive of me."

"It's ok. I guess I'm going back because it's my home. It's...a part of who I am." She said.

"When would you like to return?" Loki asked.

"I guess I'll go back tomorrow. The longer I wait, the worse it will be."

Loki nodded. "Alright." He stood and held his hand out to her. "Then let's make the best of the time we have."

OoOoOo

The twin suns had long set. Loki handed Seren a black cloak. "Put this on. It's a bit cool outside."

"What are we doing?" She asked, lifting the hood over head.

Loki smiled. "There's something I'd like to show you."

They began to walk on the road leading out of the city. After a few minutes, they came to a forest and Loki led her into it. "You know, that dress looks lovely on you." Loki said, holding branches back so she could pass.

Seren snorted as she passed him. "Not really my style. But it is pretty." She lifted the gown to step over a fallen tree. "So what is this something that you want to show me?"

Loki feel into step beside her. "You will see." They walked in silence with nothing the sound of the leaves and twigs crunching under their feet. By the time that Seren was ready to complain about walking for so long, Loki grabbed her arm. "We're here. We just have to climb up the hill."

Seren looked at him like he was crazy. "Loki that's not a hill, that's a mountain."

He smiled. "It's not as hard as it looks. Besides," he began to climb the step side of the hill. "I'll help you."

"I'm in a dress and heels!" She exclaimed.

Loki sighed and looked over his shoulder. "Fine. Climb on."

"What?"

"My back. Climb onto my back and I'll carry you up." He said.

Seren scoffed. "You can't carry me up the mountain."

"Are we really going to argue about what I can and can't do? You're Midgardian and a quite light one at that. It will be just like the first time we met."

"That was four years ago. I was twelve."

"You can either get on, or I will throw you over my shoulder and carry you that way." He said.

Seren smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Take me away."

Loki grunted as he began to climb up the hill. When they reached the top, Seren slid down and stood next to him. The moons were high in clear sky. The city was far behind them. Below them was a small lake, the water a bright almost neon blue and above it floated hundreds of...things. Glowing purple, green, red and yellow objects floated just above the surface.

Seren gasped. "What...What are they?" She slowly sunk to the ground, peering down at them over the edge of the hill.

Loki lowered himself next to her. "They are called the Haltija. They are water fairies. The minerals in the lake glow at night and attract them."

"They're so pretty..." She whispered.

"I suppose they are." He said, leaning back on elbows.

"What do you mean by that?" Seren asked, looking over him.

"It is so easy to take things that you see every day for granted. The way you take everything, you see it all and it amazes you. It reminds me that I should be more appreciative." He said.

"We don't have anything like this back home. Everything about this place is amazing." She lay on her stomach and rested her chin on her arms, letting the fairies hypnotize her. "It's so peaceful..."

"Not if you ask my father. Apparently, we are always to be prepared for war. It's one reason why he's sending me on a tour the other realms."

"So you'll be coming to Earth, er Midgard?" She asked.

Loki shook his head. "No. Of all the nine realms, Midgard is the only one that doesn't know about the others."

"Why is that?" She asked.

"I don't know. I suppose it's because humans are fragile beings and wouldn't be able to cope with knowing that there are eight other realms out there? Ignorance is bliss, as they say."

Seren yawned. "You know, somewhere, something in that sentence should have offended me, but I'm too tired to care."

Loki chuckled. "Are you ready to return, my lady?"

She groaned. "I'm too tired to walk all that way. Isn't there a shortcut or a horse that we can ride back on?"

"There is one as a matter of fact. You'll have to stand up, at least." Loki replied, standing. He helped her to her feet. "Do you trust me?"

"That's never a good way to instill confidence." She said.

"It's alright. I've been practicing this for quite some time now."

"That is definitely not a way to instill confidence."

He smiled and pulled her close. "Just close your eyes and hold on to me, ok?"

"Ok." Seren closed her eyes and held on to his arms.

"Don't let go." He said.

Seren felt a warm gust of air envelop them and suddenly out felt as though the ground had fallen out from under her. Her stomach dropped as if she were plummeting down the hill of a giant rollercoaster.

"Ok. Open your eyes." He said.

She opened them and her mouth dropped. "Loki, what the hell? How did you do that?" She was standing on the balcony of his room. The entire thing happened in a matter of seconds.

Loki collapsed onto the chaise lounge the fire pit. "I told you I've been practicing." He said.

"Well why didn't we just do that to begin with?" She asked, sitting next to him.

He laid his head back and his eyes. "Because it requires a great deal of energy to do it. It's very draining."

"Are you ok?"

He opened one eye to peer at her and smiled. "I'm alright. I just need to rest."

Seren laid her head back on his shoulder and stared up at the black sky with its millions of shimmering stars. "You promise to answer when I call?" She asked, feeling her eyes grow heavy.

"Mm hm." Loki whispered. "Any time you need me...Just call my name."

She smiled to herself and allowed the sound of his slow breathing to lull her to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. Been a beeotch trying to figure this story out. Freestyle will do that to you. Comment and subscribe of you haven't already. ENJOY!!