Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Four

Fast forward two years later...

Seren closed the book she'd been studying and glanced at the clock. It was just after one in the morning. She rested her elbows on her desk and rubbed her eyes. "Loki...are you there?" She asked, looking at the mirror before her. Nothing but her tired, make up smeared face stared back at her. Sighing, she closed her laptop. "Of course you aren't." She mumbled, standing up. She stretched her back and yawned as she walked into her bathroom. She turned the water on and rinsed her face. As she dried it, she stared into the bathroom mirror. "This is the last time that I call for you, Loki. I'm done waiting." She allowed herself a second of hope, but was quickly convinced that he was not coming, just like every night since her first night back from Asgard after her grandmother's funeral. She flicked the light of and slipped into bed.

OoOoOo

"Seren, are you coming to Leo's tonight after the game?" Her friend Allie asked.

Seren opened her locker and pulled out her literature book. "I don't know, maybe?"

"She better!" Leo said. He brought his hand down hard on her butt, causing her to yelp. "Lookin' good in this jeans mami."

Allie and Kyra started laughing and Cody rolled his eyes as Leo and Hayden high fived. Seren shoved Leo and smirked.

"You're such an ass, Leo!" She said.

"You know you want it." Leo said.

"About as much as I want to snort a line of hydrochloric acid." She said. The warning bell rang. Leo grabbed his chest, feigning pain as Cody and Hayden began to lead him down the opposite hall. Seren tucked her sweater into her locker and was about to close it when a flash of green in her mirror caught her eye. She opened the door again, staring at the mirror.

"Seren? You coming?" Kyra asked.

She stared at the mirror intently. "Yeah..."

"Seren, we're going to be late." Allie said.

She was getting sick of seeing her own reflection. She ran her thumb under her eye to wipe away some smeared eyeliner. "I'm coming, sorry." She slammed the locker door a bit harder than necessary. Turning on her heel, she jogged over to where her friends waited.

OoOoOo

Loki sat in his temporary chambers on Alfheim by the fountain just outside of the doors. A sphere of water swirled in his hand. He watched as Seren searched her locker for a book, his eyes narrowing as the one called Leo struck her backside so rudely. Loki sat up on the edge of his seat, a sudden surge of anger spiking in his chest. He stared into the orb willing her to look at him, but she didn't. Just when he was about to give up, he saw her eyes meet his and his adrenaline sped up.

"Brother!" Thor landed on the balcony next to where Loki sat. Loki quickly shoved his fist into the fountain and the orb quickly dissolved.

"What are you doing?" He asked, tossing his golden hair out of his face.

Loki shook his head. "Nothing. Just working on some old spells."

"You with your tricks." Thor set Mjolnir down on the edge of the fountain. "Why don't you come out to the tavern with Fandral, Lady Sif and I? One last night before we return home?"

Loki stretched his neck and sighed. "We don't return home for another two days. But as truly intriguing as that sounds, I fear I must decline. "

Thor scoffed. "Come now Loki, just because we don't want to be here doesn't mean we can't enjoy ourselves while we're here. I've heard rumor that some elf maidens will be there. The things I could tell you about them-"

"Not tonight Thor." Loki interrupted sharply. "But do enjoy yourself brother." He said a bit softer as he stood.

Thor held his hand under the water that trickled down the statue. "You can't become a recluse just because she isn't here." He said quietly.

Loki turned. "Who?"

Thor looked at him. "You know who. Seren."

Loki shook his head. "I've no idea what you are talking about Thor." He turned and shoved the beaded curtains aside.

"Yes you do. And I understand it, truly. I like Seren as much add you do, but she has her own life to live, as do you." Thor said, following him.

Loki stood by a desk absently stroking the surface as he stared off into space. With four long strides, Thor stood directly in front of him. "You are a Prince of Asgard and the world is yours for the taking."

Loki rolled his eyes and sighed.

"All I am saying is that there are seven other realms out there that have much more to offer, perhaps you shouldn't put all of your focus on the one realm that doesn't even know we exist."

"Very well. Is that all?" Loki asked. "I'm sure you don't wish to keep your friends waiting."

"Our friends, Loki. They are your friends too."

Loki brushed his hair out of his eyes. "Yes well, do give my regards to our friends. If I recall, we have a meeting with King Sørkvir and his advisors at midday. Watch your Meade intake."

Unsure of what to say, Thor nodded and held his hand out to catch Mjolnir. "I'll see you there." He replied.

Just before Thor stepped out onto the balcony, Loki called for him. "Just remember. We are princes of Asgard and there are expectations."

Thor narrowed his eyes. His only response was a grunt as he flew out into the night.

OoOoOo

"Seren, you coming?" Allie asked.

Seren stared into the mirror on her locker to the point that she thought the vein in her head would burst.

"Seren!"

She exhaled sharply and rolled her eyes, slamming the locker. "I'm coming." She said. Allie held the door open for her and they jogged over to the parking lot where Cody and Kyra waited in Cody's topless jeep.

The two girls jumped into the backseat. Allie slapped the side of the jeep. "To the mall!!"

Seren grabbed the driver's seat and leaned forward "Cody! I need a distraction!" She said.

"Coming right up." Cody passed her the joint, cranked the volume on the stereo and Seren laid her head back, basking in the afternoon sunlight.

OoOoOo

"How are you enjoying your time here, Prince Loki?"

Loki gave a slight bow. "Everything is beautiful, your majesty is very kind to have us."

King Sørkvir waved his hand lazily as he and Loki walked through the royal gardens, followed by Renvik, Hifnilvur, and a throng of elven servants. The king was a tall, willowy man with long hair the color of obsidian, pulled halfway back. A platinum crown that was forged in the shape of tree branches sat on his head. His skin was tanned and his eyes were the color of sapphire.

"I trust your brother is enjoying himself?" Sørkvir said, plucking a goblet of wine from the tray of an awaiting servant. Loki followed slightly behind the king, shaking his head at the offer of a goblet by the servant.

"He is. Just last night we had a discussion about the local cuisine and entertainment." Loki answered.

"Excellent. Where is Prince Thor? I thought he was joining us." The king's long silver robe talked behind him, billowing in the warm breeze.

Loki glanced over at Hifnilvur who shrugged his shoulders. "He should be joining us soon. He wanted to look around the perimeter of the kingdom. For security reasons."

Sørkvir turned to glance at Loki, his eyebrow arched. "Is there a problem with security?"

"Not at all. But as protectors of the nine, it is imperative that we make ourselves familiar with each realm's defense systems. It is simply a precaution." Loki answered, folding his hands behind his back.

"Very well. I would be interested to hear his report when he has finished."

"As you wish."

OoOoOo

Loki lifted the emerald hood over his head and strode down the alabaster halls of the castle. His meeting with the king had not gone the way it was supposed to. Thor had not shown, and he was furious. He turned sharply around a corner and nearly collided with Renvik and Hifnilvur.

"My Prince, is something amiss?" Renvik asked.

"Yes something is amiss. My brother has conveniently found himself lost in the tavern district. No doubt drunk on mead, passed out with his head between the breasts of some tavern maid." Loki snapped.

"Prince Loki, allow me to send someone to collect him." Hifnilvur said.

"No. That is unnecessary. I will handle my brother." Loki replied, stepping around them.

"Then please allow me to send two soldiers with you." Hifnilvur insisted.

"I said no!" Loki barked. He began to descend the stairs and upon stepping outside, he closed his eyes and vanished. He reappeared directly in front of the stables. A gray and black steed stood in its stall already saddled. When Loki walked towards it, the horse nickered loudly. Loki opened the stall door and mounted the horse.

"Hya!" Loki growled, giving the horse a jab with his boot. The horse took off at a gallop. Loki leaned forward. "Find my brother." He whispered into the horse's ear.

OoOoOo

Alfheim was truly a beautiful realm. But no realm was perfect. After reaching the tavern district and turning down many roads and small alleyways, he showed the horse down to a trot. It was nearly evening and patrons were beginning to fill the narrow walkways. His eyes scanned the areas around each tavern and brothel that he passed, looking for signs of his brother and his friends. He came to the last tavern, a large tavern several stories high. He led the horse to a nearby water trough, tying its reins to a small tree. Just add he grabbed the handle, the door burst open and a blur of red flew past him, landing in the adjacent water trough.

Loki sighed and walked over to the trough and looked down. "Already a favorite with the locals are we?"

Thor opened his eyes, holding his hand up to shield them from the sunlight. "Loki?"

Loki grabbed his arm and pulled him out of the water. "Who else would it be, Thor? Come now, use your legs! Get up." Loki demanded.

The tavern door opened and Fandral walked out, a smile on his face and his hand on the hilt of his sword. "It seems your charm with the fairer sex are waning my friend."

Thor smiled, holding his jaw gingerly. "I think she liked me."

Sif stepped out from behind Fandral, leaning against her staff. "Serves you right. If you had grabbed my backside the way you did her, I would have done the same. And you would have landed further away."

Loki fought to control his anger. "We need to go. Now." He said stiffly, untying the horse.

"Come now brother, the night is young and so are we." Thor said. "Enjoy yourself, Loki."

Loki spun around on his heel. "Do you have any idea what you've done? We were supposed to meet with King Sørkvir and his advisors to discuss security for the realm. I expected you to be there and instead I find you here, drinking yourself into a lecherous stupor and groping the local women!!"

Thor laughed. "You really should have joined us brother. You are much to uptight."

Loki's resolve snapped. He lashed out with his fist, making contact with Thor's nose.

Stunned, Thor stumbled back slightly, his hand going up to his nose. Fandral's mouth fell open.

"Loki! Have you gone mad?!" Sif cried.

Loki rubbed his knuckles and grabbed the reins. "No. But apparently the three of you have. We are representing Asgard. Out actions reflect Asgard and you would do well to remember that." He mounted the horse and glared down at Thor. "Now get back to the castle and clean yourself up. I have to go undo whatever damage you have caused."

OoOoOo

"You having a good time?" Leo asked.

The music thumped loudly through the speakers Seren stood near. She looked at him. "What?" She cried.

"The party! Are you having fun?" He yelled.

Seren smiled and nodded. "Yeah!"

They stood next to one another in the basement of Leo's three story house. The normal fluorescent lightbulbs had been replaced with red bulbs. A local garage band played on a small makeshift stage in the opposite corner of the room. A large group of people were crammed in front of the stage swaying and bouncing to the beat.

"Do you want another drink? Leo asked.

Seren had to lean forward to hear him. "Sure."

Leo took he empty beer bottle and walked outside. Seren leaned against the back wall of the basement, watching the band. She'd only just arrived and the gold glittered heels she wore were already causing her feet to hurt. She looked down the them. 'But they were so worth it!' They matched her gold sequined strapless dress that stopped mid thigh. It was a lot shorter than any other article of clothing that she owned but Kyra had convinced her to take a risk. But the dark kohl eye liner, smokey eyes, and bright red lipstick was all her style.

"Seren!" Some guy called. Seren nodded in acknowledgement as he passed. She lay her head back against the cold cement blocks and closed her eyes as the bass shook through her. She wondered where Loki was and what he was doing, but only briefly. Her eyes shot open as she felt something ice cold touch her exposed collarbone.

Leo stood in front of her smiling, a beer in each hand. Seren accepted the cold beer and took a long, deep gulp.

"Woah now. Pace yourself. The night is young." He yelled. "Come on, let's go outside, it's hot in here."

Seren nodded and allowed him to lead her outside. The burst of cool air was a blessing and she took a deep breath. They were in the back yard which was littered with people. Some were making out, others were talking or playing drinking games.

"C'mon, let's take a walk." He said, taking her hand.

Seren nodded and followed behind him. The night was dark but the moon above was full and cast a silvery light down on the land. Leo was tall with bronzed skin and dark brown hair that fell in his eyes. He was the quarter back for their school's football team and pretty popular.

He led her through crowds of people until they reached the end of the backyard and sat down on a stone bench next to a coy pond. "I'm glad you made it. I've been wanting to get to know you for a while.

"Thanks for inviting me." She said.

Leo smiled and took a sip of his beer. "Party wouldn't have been the same without you babe."

Seren felt a smile tugging at her lips and quickly tooka gulp of beer. "Yea well I kind of doubt that. Hey!" She cried as drunk guy slammed into her, dumping the contents of his red cup down her back.

"Hey! Come on Vasquez! Shit!" Leo yelled, shoving him back.

Vasquez stumbled back. "Sorry bro, my bad." He tried to wipe the beer off but only managed to grope her breasts.

Leo grabbed him by the arm and spun him towards the house. "Go get more drinks since you just ruined ours." He slapped him across the back of his head when he began to walk away. He sat down and ran a hand through his hair. "Damn I'm sorry about that."

Seren wiped the beer from the back of her neck. "It's ok." She turned to face him and felt a wave of dizziness wash over her. She was not a seasoned partier, but she was by no means a lightweight. She blinked her eyes a few times to clear the fuzziness. Leo was considerably closer to her than he was a few minutes earlier.

"You are on fire tonight, Seren." He whispered, laying a hand on her thigh.

"Tha-" her words were cut short as he pressed his lips to hers. She didn't quite know how to respond so she didn't immediately stop him. He leaned forward during the kiss, forcing her to lean back until she was laying haphazardly on the bench. He kissed down her neck just behind her ear and she could feel his hand sliding under her dress.

"Leo wait-"

He ignored her and continued to kiss her, his other hand holding her other thigh. His body now fully pinned hers to the bench and he hiked her skirt up. Seren pressed her hands to his chest and tried to push him away but her arms wouldn't work. "Leo stop!" She cried. She felt panic rise in her chest and just before she freaked out, she felt the pressure of Leo's body subside.

"Hey! WHAT THE FUCK?!" He yelled. Seren pushed herself up and watched in shock as Loki pulled Leo up by the collar of his red polo shirt.

"You...insignificant piece of shit." Loki growled, lifting him into the air by his throat.

"Loki!" Seren cried.

Loki slammed Leo down to the ground, repeatedly bringing his fist down to his face, one crunching blow after another. Blood erupted from Leo's nose and he struggled to fight back, landing one or two punches to Loki's face. By then a crowd had formed, mostly intoxicated teens chanting the mantra 'fight'.

One of Leo's teammates tried to charge him but Loki brought him to the ground with a swift kick to the groin.

Seren summoned all of her strength and launched herself at Loki. "Stop it! You're going to kill him Loki!"

Loki said nothing, his eyes were black and drops of blood were splattered across his face. Seren wrapped her hand over his raised fist and brought the other one up to stroke his cheek. "Loki snap out..." She blinked again as her vision became blurry. "Snap out..of it. He isn't w-worth the risk."

Loki stared down at Leo who was just barely conscious and choking on his own blood.

"Look at me dammit!" Seren put herself between them and forced Loki to see her. She shook her head slightly. "He's not worth it."

Loki blinked as if the fog had lifted. He took her face in his hands and looked her over. "Are you alright?"

She looked down at Leo, gagged slightly and covered her mouth. "I think I'm going to be sick-" she pushed him aside and threw up in the pond.

"Cops! Someone called the cops!" Someone yelled. Immediately the teens scattered, tripping over one another as the sounds of sirens drew nearer.

Seren lay her face against the cool stone of the fountain, wanting nothing more than to fall asleep.

Loki knew enough to know when to retreat. He turned and pulled Seren to her feet. "Seren we have to go. Now."

"I..just want-" she vomited again and then began to cry. Loki knelt next to her and wiped her mouth with the sleeve of his Midgardian shirt.

"I know you're tired, but if we don't go now, there will be Hel to pay." He whispered, lifting her into his arms. She wrapped her arms loosely around his neck as he rushed across the yard and through the trees.

Seren groaned and tucked her head under his chin to lessen the blows of the twigs that snapped at her exposed flesh. He ran through a field and was about to cross the road when a horn honked.

"Jack! Seren! Hurry get in!" Cody yelled. Loki paused but only briefly as blue lights flashed in the distance. Kyra opened the passenger door of the jeep and pulled the seat forward as Loki skid into the back seat.

"Oh my God is she ok?" Kyra asked, gripping the head rest of the seat as she stared at her friend in horror.

"She needs fluids and rest." Cody said, gripping the wheel as he focused on the road.

"What happened?" Kyra asked.

"Leo is a scumbag piece of shit, that's what." Cody snapped.

"Why is she bleeding??" Kyra shrieked.

Loki stared down at her as she stared dreamily at the ceiling in a drug induced fog

"It's not her blood." Loki replied quietly.

"Yea no shit. What are you? A marine?" Cody looked at Loki in the rearview mirror. "I've seen a lot of things, but I've never seen someone your size lift someone his size and not break a sweat."

Loki stared back at him with cool green eyes. "Take us home, Cody." He said.

"She needs a hospital!" Kyra cried.

"No. She hates hospitals. She needs to go home now." Loki replied calmly. Cody stared at him in the rear view mirror once more before bearing right and taking the road towards Seren's home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am begging for comments! Please show the love or hate and let me know what you really think.