Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Five

Loki dozed in the chair next to her bed and nearly jumped out of his skin when Seren sat up screaming.

He jumped onto the bed and grabbed her arms. "Seren! It's me!!"

She fought him briefly until her eyes focused and she fell back on the bed gasping for air. "Loki..What..."

The door to her room opened and Cody and Kyra rushed in. "What's wrong?" Cody asked.

"A nightmare. That's all." Loki said.

Kyra sat on the bed next to her and brushed her hair back. "Are you alright?"

Seren closed her eyes and nodded. "Yea. Just nauseous. Can you bring me some crushed ice?"

"Maybe you should just sick with water." Cody said.

"Ice always helps me when I'm sick to my stomach." Seren replied.

"I'll be right back. You want anything else?" Kyra asked. Seren shook her head and she left.

"Cody, could you give us a minute?" Seren asked.

He looked hesitant, but nodded. "I'll be right outside if you need me."

She gave him a tight-lipped smile. "Thanks." He gave Loki one last glance before he closed the door.

"I believe your friend is suspicious of me." Loki said. "Are you alright?" He asked.

"Nothing's broken." She gave a weak laugh but her face twisted and her eyes filed with tears. "How did you get-where h-have you been?" She sobbed.

Loki leaned forward and smoothed her hair out of her face. "I'm sorry Seren. My father had me traveling on a strict schedule, purposefully pairing me with someone at all times to prohibit me from coming to Midgard."

"How did you know where I was?" She asked.

He shrugged slightly. "I've picked up a few more tricks over the years."

"Like beating a man to death with your bare hands?" She asked.

Loki's brow furrowed. "I suppose it was a bit barbaric for this realm but-"

"No. It was better than what he deserved." She gagged slightly and rolled onto her stomach, vomiting into the trashcan. "Ugh...fucking asshole spiked my drink."

There was a light knock on the door and Kyra entered with a large cup of ice. "Here sweetie."

Seren took the cup and poured the ice into her mouth. "Thanks Kyra." She mumbled as she chewed.

"No problem. Yell if you need me." She said, closing the door behind her.

Seren sat up, propping her back against the headboard. "How did you find me?"

"I followed your reflection." He answered. "Lucky for me it rained here recently." He gave her a smile.

"Would you have killed him? If I hadn't stopped you?"

"Would you have wanted me to?" He asked.

"Yes. People like that don't change."

"Would you like me to finish the job?"

"No. I just want to forget this ever happened." She said, leaning her head back and closing her eyes.

"You should get some rest." He said, standing up.

Seren's eyes shot open. "Where are you going?"

"Calm yourself. I'm only going downstairs to speak with your friends. It would seem that Cody is a bit suspicious of me."

Seren pulled the quilt up to her chin. "Promise you'll be back?"

Loki smiled. "Of course." He opened the door and stepped out into the hall. Cody sat at the top of the stairs. Loki nodded at him and shoved his hands into his pockets.

Cody nodded towards the bedroom door. "She ok?"

Loki nodded. "She is shaken up, and nauseous." He paused as he heard her coughing and gagging on the opposite side of the door. "She's vomited three times already."

Cody shook his head. "I had no idea what was going on. Kyra and I were on the other side of the house when we heard her screaming. I came running through the yard and saw you beating him. He was nearly twice your size and you beat him like it was nothing. How did you do it? I mean, I'm not mad, the asshole deserved every bit of what he got."

Loki leaned against the wall. "It's called rage."

Cody looked at him, unconvinced. "Yeah, I guess."

"I was coming out to inform you that you and Kyra may return home now."

"I'm not leaving her like that. What if something happens?" Cody tossed his shaggy chestnut brown hair out of his eyes.

"I assure you that she will be well taken care of. She is under my protection now." Loki replied.

Cody stood and grabbed his jacket of the banister. "Whatever dude. Call me if something happens."

"What would you like me to call you?" Loki asked.

Cody narrowed his eyes and shook his head. "Right...ok. See you later, Jack." He said, pounding down the stairs

Loki sighed and ran a hand through his black hair. It was then that he noticed the blood on his hands. He walked into the bathroom at the end of the hall. He twisted the knob and began to scrub his hands, he splashed child water onto his face.

"Is everything ok?"

Loki jumped and spun around. Seren smirked. "Sorry, didn't meant to scare you." She had changed into a gray sweatshirt and black shorts with bright rainbow colored knee-high socks.

"You didn't..." He said.

Seren gave him a look and raised an eyebrow. Loki smiled and grabbed a towel, drying his face. "You know, not very many people are able to sneak up on me like that. You are talented."

"I'm not that talented, maybe you're just skittish." She replied.

"Ha! Right.You've figured me out." He turned off the light and ushered her out. "How do you feel?"

"Better. The nausea is gone but I'm still a little dizzy." She entered her room and turned on the television.

"Perhaps you should rest then."

Seren shrugged and curled up on the bed. "So should you." She patted the space on the bed next to her.

Loki regarded her carefully, suddenly aware of his own exhaustion. "It isn't entirely appropriate..."

"Yeah because nothing screams appropriate like beating the hell out of someone." She said.

Loki rolled his eyes and kicked his boots off. "As I recall, you needed help." He lay down next to her, propping his back against the headboard. Seren lay her head on his chest, his heart beat barely audible.

"When do you have to go back?"  She whispered.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, starting blankly at the television. "I don't know. I'm already in a heap of trouble, why stop now?" He mumbled.

"What will your dad do?"

"I don't particularly feel like talking about father at the moment."

"What about Thor?"

Loki grimaced. "And even more than that, I don't want to talk about the 'mighty' Thor."

Seren yawned. "Alright your highness, calm down..."

"Why don't you come back to Asgard with me?"

"Loki, we've been through this. This is my home." She said.

"Yes, I know. I just thought I would try again."

"The school year is almost over. I owe it to my grandparents to graduate and go to college. And besides, Prom is in two weeks."

Loki felt himself dozing off. "What is it?" He stifled a yawn.

"A dance. Everyone dresses up and spends the night dancing."

"Sounds like a ball." He mumbled, closing his eyes.

"I guess it is, just a lot less ritzy."

"And who is your escort?" No reply came for a moment and Loki nudged her. "Seren."

She gave a small jerk and cracked her eyes open. "What?"

"Who is your escort to the ball?"

She sighed and wrapped an arm around his waist. "I promised Cody I would go with him last year."

Loki bristled at the answer but refused to acknowledge it. "Goodnight Seren."

"Goodnight my Prince." She mumbled.

OoOoOo

Loki woke the next morning after a somewhat sleepless night. The sunlight poured in through the windows. He stood and stretched. He scratched his head and walked out onto the hall. "Seren?"

"Downstairs." She called.

He could hear the radio and smelled food cooking as he descended the stairs. "What are you doing?" He asked, leaning against the doorway of the kitchen.

"What's it look like?" She asked, setting two plates on the small table on the patio.

Loki's stomach growled. "It looks like you cooked..." He stepped out and sat down. The air was warm and the sky was bright blue. He could see the large mountains in the distance.

Seren plopped down in the seat before him and began too cream bacon and eggs into her mouth. Loki watched her with an arched brow and a smirk. "What?"

He shook his head slowly and began to eat. "Feeling better, are we?"

"Nothing a good night's sleep couldn't fix. And eggs." Her fork clattered on her empty plate and she stretched. "Why don't we go for a hike or something?"

"I think you should take it easy today. You had quite the night." He replied, sipping his coffee.

Seren leaned her chair back, balancing it on its back legs. "I've seen Asgard, I think you should see Midgard. I mean really see it."

Loki wiped his mouth and chuckled. "You do realize the trees and plants of this world are but the discarded weeds of Asgard?"

"How incredibly interesting." She said dryly, lowering her sunglasses over her eyes. "If this place is so inferior, then why do you keep coming back?"

Loki looked her in the eyes. "I should think it was quite obvious."

There was a sudden flash of light and the loud rustling of a cape. Startled, Seren yelled as the chair toppled backwards.

Thor looked over her. "Lady Seren, are you alright?" He held his hand out and pulled her to her feet.

She brushed the grass and dirt from her clothes. "Yea, I'm ok."

Loki stood. "Thor. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I've come to escort you home. Father is furious to say the least." Thor said.

Loki chuckled. "I hardly think I need an escort. Least of all from you."

"Want something to eat?" Seren asked.

Thor took a handful of bacon and shoved it into his mouth.

"Why is it that you can take off with your friends, drink and be merry and make utter fools of yourselves. But when I pay a visit to a friend in need, father is 'furious'?" Loki snapped.

"I understand that my behavior was...less than admirable, but I didn't leave the realm without any notice. Father accused King Sørkvir of harming you."

Loki stood quickly. "He did what?"

"Aye. Needless to say, Sørkvir did not take kindly to the accusation. This is why I've come for you."

Loki sighed and rubbed his face. "Damn."

Seren set her coffee mug down. "What, Loki?"

He dropped his hands to his side's and looked up at the blue sky. "I have to go back." He said quietly.

"But...You just got here!" She argued.

He looked down at her. "I know. And I'm sorry, but it's my duty. I will return."

She frowned. "Promise me it won't be another two years." She said quietly.

He lifted her hand and kissed it gently. "You have my word." His human clothing faded and was replaced with his green and gold Asgardian armor.

"What if he comes after me?" She asked.

"I find it unlikely that he will, but in the rare event that he does," He pulled a dagger from his armor. "Drive this into his neck, chest, or stomach repeatedly until he stops moving." He dropped her hand and walked to Thor's side.

Thor held up Mjolnir. "Heimdall!"

"Goodbye, Seren."

"Bye Loki..." She watched as the two brothers were swallowed by a beam of blinding light, and stared at the scorch marks left behind until she couldn't see straight any longer.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm just going to stop begging for comments. You either love it or you hate it.