Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Six

Seren sat at her vanity smearing make up on her face quickly. She had fallen asleep earlier that afternoon and nearly forgot about meeting Kyra and Allie at the salon. Tonight was Prom night and up until two hours ago, she couldn't have cared less. It had been eleven days since Loki had returned to Asgard and it had taken every ounce of her resolve to not throw herself into the portal. She always had more fun with him around and without him she felt severely bored.

She carefully lined her eyes with black kohl liner, staring intently at her reflection as she did so. She'd barely noticed as the glass changed and a pair of green eyes staring back at her.

She gave a start, jabbingy her eye with the pencil. "Ow! Holy shit Loki. You have to stop popping up like that." She said, her smile betraying her tone. She held a cloth to her eye as it watered.

Loki chuckled. "Ehehe...apologies. I can never resist the chance to surprise you."

She smirked. "Lucky for me I was't holding anything sharp. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I simply wanted to see how you were. I know we haven't spoken since I was there last, and for that I am sorry. It took a while and a great deal of apologizing to smooth things over with father."

Seren winced slightly. "How bad was it?"

Loki sighed and leaned back in his chair. "To say it was bad would be the understatement of the century. But I won't bore you with the details. How have you been?"

She stood and walked behind her Japanese partition. "I've been ok, you know? I was nervous about going back to school after what happened, but I had to." She tossed her t-shirt over the partition and into the laundry basket.

"And what of Leo? Has he given you any problems?" He asked.

She pulled a pink tank top over her head and slipped into a pair of jean cut-off shorts. "No. I've seen him around campus, but once word spread about what happened, no one talks to him. I know he got kicked off the football team, probably lost his scholarship too." She walked back around to the vanity.

"You aren't feeling sorry for him, are you?" Loki asked.

Seren pursed her lips and shook her head. "No, can't say that I am. He knew what he was doing would have consequences. Any way, I don't want to talk about him. When are you coming back? Or when can I come and visit? I've been craving some Asgardian market place cuisine." She sat on the edge of her bed, pulled her knee to her chest and began to tie her tennis shoes.

"Right, about that...I don't know when I'll get to come back. Father was...extremely displeased with my sudden disappearance last time and has temporarily closed off our portal."

Seren let her foot slide to the floor. "What? Seriously?"

Loki nodded and frowned. "I'm sorry. The only way to get around now is through the Bifrost, which is constantly monitored by Heimdall."

"We'll, it's a good thing I didn't jump into the portal...would have hurt myself pretty bad.." She said, scratching her head.

There was an awkward silence before Loki finally spoke up. "I'm sorry Seren."

She shrugged. "I mean, you don't have anything to be sorry for. You can't help it."

"But I can tell you are disappointed."

A horn honked outside. She pulled on her hoodie and zipped it up. "It's ok Loki, really. We still have the mirrors, right?" She smiled. "I have to go meet the girls. It's prom night and I have to get my hair and nails done." She held up her hand and wiggled her fingers.

"Alright, alright. I know when I am dismissed." Loki said with a smile.

"I'll talk to you tonight after I get home, ok?" She said.

"Until tonight, my lady."

She blew him a kiss and hurried out the door.

OoOoOo

"The limo will be here any minute. Kyra can you zip me up?" Seren pulled the lavender and gold-colored gown over her head. Kyra zipped it up and tied the gold sash at her side.

Seren gave a quick twirl. "How's it look?"

Kyra smiled. "Like a princess."

"I thought I was a queen." Seren said, pressing a tiny gold star to the corner of her eye.

Kyra laughed, her bright red gown contrasting against her dark skin. "No, you're definitely a princess." She placed a tiny crown on her head. "I'm a queen."

Allie walked into the house. "The guys are here."

Kyra smiled at Seren. "You ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

OoOoOo

The girls got out of the limo and looked around in awe. The prom was being held outside in the valley park. Giant paper lanterns hung from the cherry trees that were blooming. The warm breeze sent their tiny petals floating through the air. A white gazebo was decorated with tiny white crystals that reflected the numerous candles.

Couples danced in the park on a tile dance floor evil somewhere a fog machine blew our light puffs of smoke.

"Holy crap..." Allie gasped.

"It's like a fairy tale." Seren said.

"Who wants a drink?" Cody asked.

"I'll get my own, thanks." Seren replied, following Cody to the refreshment stand.

"You ok?" Cody asked, pouring the punch into her cup.

"Yea of course." She replied.

He took her hand. "Let's dance." Seren laughed as he drug her onto the dance floor.

OoOoOo

After nearly an hour of non-stop dancing, Seren broke free and went in search of the bathroom. She disappeared in the crowd and made her way to the outskirts. The moon was full and lit the way as she walked up the small hill that overlooked the party below. The air was cooler and she felt like she could breathe better.

She heard the principal begin the announcement of Prom king and queen and lowered herself to the grass to watch the crowning. She wasn't surprised that Joaquin Delmar, football captain, was named King. But she couldn't suppress the squeal of surprise when Kyra was named Queen. She laughed as she watched her best friend remove her tiny tiara as they placed the larger one on her head.

The lights dimmed and Joaquin led Kyra out onto the dance floor. The beginning chords of Mazzy Star's Fade Into You began and Seren rested her chin on her knees with a sigh. It was really romantic to watch.

"Might I have this dance, my lady?"

Seren turned quickly and gasped, covering her mouth with her hands. Loki stood over her, cape billowing in the wind with his hand held out. She couldn't suppress a smile as she allowed him to pull her to her feet.

"Loki...You came." She whispered.

He kissed her hand. "I had to see you again." He whispered. He pulled her close, holding her hand out with the other resting on her lower back. The remark sent a shiver down her back and she lay her head against his chest as they danced.

"Fade into you
Strange you never knew
Fade into you
I think it's strange you never knew..."


"I thought you couldn't come back-"

"I couldn't let Cody have all the fun, now could I?" He asked.

"Won't you get in trouble?" She asked.

"It would be worth it." He said quietly.

"A stranger's light comes on slowly
A stranger's heart without a home
You put your hands into your head
And then smiles cover your heart..."


He pulled a small bag out from his armor. "Fresh food from the marketplace for my lady."

Seren laughed. "You are truly the best!"

"Only the best for you."

Seren bit her bottom lip, breathing in his earthly scent. They'd been friends for years but she couldn't ignore the butterflies in her stomach that seemed to start up every time he was around. The thought made her feel strange. To anyone else watching, it would seem like she were dancing with a college guy at the worst. She knew otherwise. He was a century older than she was, and a Prince at that.

"What are you thinking about?" Loki asked.

She pressed her cheek against the cool metal of his. "Just of how bad it's going to suck when you leave."

"You know my offer still stands. You can come back with me."

"Some day Loki, maybe." She whispered.

"Seren, I may not be back for quite some time...longer than the last time."

She looked up at him. "How long?"

He shook his head, unsure of what to say.

"How long, Loki?"

He sighed. "Years. We are princes of the realm and we have duties and obligations to the throne. One of us will be King one day and we must be prepared for that."

Seren exhaled the breath she didn't even know she'd been holding and looked down. "Years..."

"I am sorry. You can see now why I wanted to see you." He replied.

"One last time." She mumbled, fighting back tears.

He lifted her chin forcing her to look at him. "No. I will come back for you. I will always come back for you. I need you to know that, Seren." He leaned down and brushed his lips against hers in the gentlest of kisses.

"Fade into you
Strange you never knew
Fade into you
I think it's strange you never knew..."


Seren closed her eyes, bringing her hands up to either side of his face. She stood on her tiptoes, trying desperately to keep him there.

He reluctantly broke the kiss, leaving Seren gasping for air. "I must go."

Seren felt her bottom lip tremble and the tears quickly returned. "Please don't..."

Loki smiled and wiped a tear away with his thumb. "Don't cry, my lady. Remember my words. I will always come back for you." He pressed a kiss to her forehead. "One last thing before I go." He pulled a small silver chain from his pocket. On it was a small amethyst stone.

"It's beautiful Loki. Thank you." She lifted her hair, allowing him to secure it around her neck.

"Next to you, it is just a rock." Her replied, his breath hot on her bare shoulder. "I must go now." He turned to walk back to the woods at the opposite end of the hill that lead back to their portal.

"Seren!" She heard Cody calling for her.

"Loki wait!!" She cried. She lifted her skirts and ran down the hill, throwing herself into his arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck. "I love you!"

He wrapped his arms around her waist, easily lifting her off the ground. "I loved you the moment I pulled you out of the lake." He whispered into her hair. He lowered her to the ground and she pulled him down to her in a desperate kiss that left him breathless when she finally pulled away.

He pressed his lips together in a forced smile as he entered the woods to the portal once more.

"Hey what are you doing all the way over here?" Cody asked, huffing as he jogged down the hill.

"I just needed some air." Seren replied.

"You ok?" He asked.

"Yea. I need a distraction, Cody. You got any on you?" She sniffed.

Cody smiled. "Sure do. Freshly rolled."

"Good. Let's go."

OoOoOo

Loki glanced over his shoulder before rushing down the hall to his chambers. He stopped short as Thor stepped out from behind one of the massive pillars. Keeping his appearance calm and collected, he nodded. "Good day brother."

Thor smiled. "Indeed. Though it is not daylight, is it?"

Loki rolled his eyes. "Then goodnight, brother." He tried to side step him towards his door, but Thor blocked him.

"Are you trying to get yourself in trouble with father?"

Loki's eyes narrowed slightly. "What I do is none of your concern."

Thor's features softened and he sighed. "I am not trying to lecture you, I just want to keep the peace."

Loki scoffed. "And what do you know of peace, Thor? Everywhere you go, fights break out. Or do I need to remind you of our recent trip to Muspelheim?" He quickly side stepped his brother and shoved through his chamber doors, however Thor did not take the hint, following him into the antechamber.

Loki sighed, sitting down on the settee by the cold fireplace as Thor helped himself to a large glass of ale.

"What is it about her that has you so captivated?" Thor asked, sitting across from him.

Loki laid his head in his hands and groaned.

Thor shifted forward, looking genuinely concerned. "What happened?" He took a full gulp of the

Loki drug his hands down his face slowly, pulling the bottoms of his eyelids down as his did so. "I told her that I loved her." He said quietly, letting his hands drop to his knees.

Thor choked on the ale, nearly spitting it out. "You did what?!" Loki winced. "Loki, are you mad?"

"Quite possibly."

"You do realize that she is mortal?"

"I know."

Thor sat his glass down. "And that you are an Asgardian?"

"I know this, Thor."

"Then you know that the spider can never have a future with the fly." Thor said.

"Not the best analogy, Thor. We do not eat mortals." Loki said, standing. He walked out onto the balcony.

Thor followed him. "Perhaps not, but the meaning is still the same. No future can exist between Asgardians and Midgardians."

"What would you have me do, brother?!" Loki asked, turning towards him. "The heart wants what it wants. It will not be ignored."

"Her life is measured in minutes compared to ours. This...infatuation will end with one or both of your hearts being broken."

"Thank you for your concern, brother. But forgive me if I do not take advice on love from one who has never known it." He replied angrily.

"I did not come here to fight. You are my brother and I do not wish to see you hurt."

Loki gripped the marble railing and stared intently out at the night sky. The rainbow bridge glittered in the distance, the Bifrost taunting him. "It matters not. I know I am deluding myself. She needs to live her life and I mine. I've no intention of returning. Now please see yourself out."

Thor said nothing further, but simply patted his brother's shoulder sympathetically before retreating.

OoOoOo

Six years later...

Thor and Loki walked next to one another, careful not to step on any branches that would alert the doe they were tracking. They came to a meadow clearing and saw the doe nibbling grass. Loki glanced at Thor who brought his finger silently up to his lips and signaled for Loki to move towards the opposite side.

Loki drew his bow and arrow, closing one eye to focus on the target. He sucked in his breath and waited.

The wind rustled the leaves and Thor used the opportunity to whisper. "Now!"

Loki exhaled and released the arrow. He opened his other eye just in time to see the doe fall. He smiled over at Thor as he clasped him on the shoulder.

"Well done brother. Father will be pleased." Thor said.

"Yes well, we should hurry. The smell of rain is on the wind." Loki replied, stepping over a fallen log. He walked through the field to where the doe stared wild eyed at him. Thor joined him.

"Your aim was off brother.." He said.

Loki reached down and rubbed the doe's neck, reassuring it. Thor brought down his knife against its neck, ending its life quickly. Loki stood and sighed, grabbing the arrow and pulling from its body.

"I was distracted." He wiped the arrow off on his pants.

Thor lifted the doe onto his shoulders. "What troubles you, brother?"

Loki pushed his hair out of his eyes. "I've had some recent trouble sleeping."

The two began the hike back to the castle. "Perhaps you should pay a visit to the red district?"

Loki rolled his eyes and chuckled. "Not everything can be corrected with prostitutes and ale. I'm quite certain that the combination leads to more problems than not."

OoOoOo

"Sweetheart, are you feeling well? You look a bit pale." Frigga whispered as she embraced Loki.

Loki kissed her cheek. "I'm fine mother, just a bit tired." He said, pulling her chair out for her, before taking his seat at the dining table next to her.

Thor entered the dining hall followed by the warriors three and Lady Sif. "Good evening mother." He said with a bright smile. He pecked her on the cheek and took the seat directly across from her, signaling to the servant for his meade. "What is the occasion?"

"Your father has an announcement." Frigga replied.

The handful of people present in the dining hall sat speaking amongst themselves for quite sometime until the guards at the door rammed their staffs into the ground, signaling Odin's arrival. He entered the dining hall, followed by a throng of servants carrying trays of food. He took his place at the head of the table.

"Thank you for joining us. I wanted to express my gratitude for the courage that you all showed in the conflict on Muspelheim. The fire giants tend to be...difficult, for lack of a better term." He turned his one good eye to Thor. "Thor, you showed a great deal of skill on the battlefield both as a warrior and a commander. With your direction, I am proud to say that no Asgardian lives were lost." He held up his mug of ale, the others following suit.

Loki exhaled slowly through his nose as he raised his mug. Thor had wanted to charge blindly into the pit of the fire giants' lair, but it was Loki who had convinced him to do otherwise. It proved to be a good decision as the fire giants had set up a deadly trap that without a doubt would have killed most of the warriors.

"As some of you may know, the time for the Odin sleep draws near. It is because of this that I am naming you heir to the throne of Asgard. I do not doubt that you will make a fair and just king. The date of the coronation will be next year, still to be determined.

Loki nearly choked on the suddenly bitter ale in his mouth, covering it up quickly with a loud cheer and fake smile which signaled the other guests to join. Thor smiled.

"Thank you father, I am truly honored." Thor answered, raising his mug. "To the Allfather!" The crowd repeated it loudly.

Loki waited for the festivities to begin before he excused himself.

"Are you alright Loki?" Frigga asked.

He kissed her cheek again. "I'm just tired. Have a good night. I shall see you soon." He said, taking his leave.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait. Please please please comment!!!