Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Seven

One year later...

Seren lay in her bed in her her downtown Boston apartment. She had only just fallen asleep when she heard someone calling her name.

"Seren." She ignored the voice, thinking it a dream. "Seren! Wake up my lady."

She sat upright quickly, sending the black cat on the bed scurrying away. "Loki?" She looked around the dark room and saw nothing.

"The mirror Seren."

She crawled across the mattress and felt her way blindly to the vanity. She flicked the lamp on and pulled the black and gray cloth from the mirror. Loki's face stared back out at her. She reached her fingertips out, barely touching the glass.

"Loki?" She whispered.

"Hello Seren." He smiled. "It's been a while."

She rubbed her face and stifled a yawn. "Seven years to be exact."

Loki nodded. "I apologize for that."

Seren bit her lip as an awkward silence set in. Seven years. Seven years of waiting and hoping for him to come back. Seven years without a single word from him. She had been sad and then angry. She wanted so badly to be angry with him but she couldn't do it.

He looked at her and smiled. He was the same Loki, just older. But only just. He looked as though he could be around thirty. His features were sharper and he wore his longer black hair slicked back. He seemed more mature, if not a bit cold. But she was still happy to see him.

"You cut your hair." He stated.

Her hands instinctively went up to her head where her blonde hair was cut in a short bob that she wore brushed to one side. "Yea, I needed a change."

"It suits you."

She smiled. "Thanks. Seven years. I can't imagine you wanted to call just to talk about my hair."

Loki chuckled. "You are correct. I wanted to invite you to come back to Asgard for Thor's coronation."

"Oh? Thor's being made king. Did something happen to Odin?" She asked.

Loki shook his head. "No not at all. He just needs his rest. He will be going into the Odinsleep and wishes to crown Thor so that he may rest without worry."

She nodded. "And what is the Odinsleep?"

"It is something my father has done every thousand years or so to rejuvenate himself."

"Oh. Well then. I accept your invitation." She said.

"Wonderful. I shall collect you in three days."

"Where? I don't live in Vermont anymore. I moved to Boston three years ago."

"Let me handle the details. I'll see you in three days." He said.

"Ok. But what should I wear?"

Loki turned to look at her once more. "We will deal with that when you get here. Get some rest."

"Seren, who are you talking to?" Cody walked out of her bathroom in nothing but a towel.

She had barely enough time to turn in his direction, briefly meeting Loki's accusing stare. "Hey babe. I was on my cell. Work stuff."

"You ok? You look kind of pale." He leaned down and kissed her cheek.

She glanced at the mirror, but only saw her reflection. "Yea I'm just tired. You going to work?"

"Yea, I'll probably be late tonight. Financial meeting. Joy." He said pulling his pants on. "You have to work tonight?" He asked.

Seren shook her head. "No, I pulled a double last week so they owe me."

He pulled his gray blazer on over his shirt and grabbed his tie. "Don't wait up for me. Love you." He said.

"Me too." She said a bit too late. She turned back to the mirror when she was sure he was gone. Loki stared back at her looking almost angry.

"Things really have changed." He said.

"Loki please don't." She said, lighting a cigarette.

"Did you forget everything I told you? I told you I would come back for you and you've moved on. It would seem Cody finally got what he's always wanted." He snapped, looking disapprovingly at the smoke she blew into the air.

"Don't give me that shit, Loki. I waited seven years for you. Seven years without so much as a hello or how are you..or I miss you." She rested her head against her hand. "I waited for you. I spent days and weeks hoping that I'd see your reflection when I wasn't expecting it. I waited, and I cried, and then I was pissed off. And then one morning I woke up and just knew that you weren't coming back. So I picked up the pieces and started living again. And now you show up out of the blue and want to make me feel bad?"

Loki exhaled. "I told you I would come back for you, and I meant it. I told you that night on the hill that it would be years."

"I spent seven years of my life waiting for someone who isn't even from the same planet. I had no one I could talk to about it. Do you know what that does to a woman? I had no one after you left. Cody was the only one!"

"Well then my lady, I shall leave you to him. I bid you farewell." And then he was gone.

Seren smiled ruefully. "Asshole." She took a deep drag and pressed it out in the small ashtray on the vanity

OoOoOo

She raised the collar of her coat as she walked down the cool damp streets of Boston to her bar. It was Friday night and the Back Alley Pearl was always full to capacity. The sidewalks were littered with patrons who were bar-hoping. She nodded at group of guys who walked past, before heading down the alley. She fumbled for her keys, dropping them when she heard footsteps behind her.

She turned around quickly, lashing out with her hand. Loki caught it before it could catch him in the face. "Hello, Seren." He said. He wrapped his arms around her and they disappeared in the blink of an eye.

OoOoOo

Seren stumbled forward, fighting back the urge to vomit. "Loki what the hell?" She yanked off her scarf.

"I told you I would come for you in three days." He replied.

"If I recall correctly, you left me and you were pretty angry." She said.

Loki looked down. "I am sorry for that. It took me by surprise and I reacted in a way I should not have. I wanted to bring you here for the celebration." He took her hand in his and kissed it lightly. "Will you forgive my poor behavior?"

She tried to stay angry, but her face betrayed her with a bright blush of her cheeks. "There isn't anything that you could do that I wouldn't forgive you for. But don't pull some shit like that again or at least warm me before you do." She wrapped her arms around his waist. "I missed you." She said quietly.

He kissed the top of her head. "I guarantee that I missed you more. Come, mother will be excited to see you." He took her hand and together they walked through the palace.

"Wait, they are ok with me being here?" She asked, smiling at a servant who rushed by.

"It was a special request." He said.

"Right. So when is this coronation?" She asked.

He led her up a flight of stairs. "Tomorrow."

"Where are we going now?" She asked.

"To find you some proper Asgardian attire."

OoOoOo

"My dear, it is so good to see you again." Queen Frigga said, embracing Seren.

She smiled. "It's good to see you too...your highness."

"The dress looks nice on you." Frigga said, featuring her to have a seat. "You have grown into a beautiful young lady."

"Thank you. I'm glad to be back."

Frigga poured a small cup of tea and handed out to her. "I can certainly tell a difference in Loki when you're around. I hope you know, it was not my choice to separate the two of you. But a King's word is final, even if his queen does not agree."

Seen didn't know what to say so she took a deep gulp of the warm liquid.

"My boys think highly of you, given your history together. It is for that reason that I was able to convince the All Father to allow you to attend the festivities. This was also a way for a mother to bridge the slow growing gap between father and son. Tonight is the pre coronation ball. I will have several of my servants tend to you to help you get ready. Just promise me that you will enjoy yourself to the fullest." The queen smiled.

Seren smiled and swallowed the last of her tea. "Thank you. I promise."

OoOoOo

Seren smiled as she made her way past the Asgardians who were lounging in the grand hall. She gathered her skirts as she made her way to the massive marble staircase. Looking down below, she watched as men and women, all much taller and more beautiful than humans, danced and laughed.

The colors of the women's gowns seemed to blend together like one big watercolor painting. The men were all dressed in their armor, shiny and gleaming in the light of the candles. Something golden caught her eye.

Loki smiled up at her from the base of the stairs, a golden horned helmet tucked under his arm. "My lady, you look lost." He called over the music. "You could almost pass for an Asgardian, if you were a bit taller."

She descended the stairs slowly, careful not to trip on the blue and gold fabric. She stopped two steps from the bottom and looked down at him. "How about now?"

Loki shrugged and laughed. "I like you just as you are."

Seren snorted. "What's that under your arm?"

"What? Oh. A gift from father. The horns of the bull..." he placed the helmet on his head and held his chin high. "A sign of strength. How does it look?"

She bit her lip, struggling to hold back a laugh. "I'm sure people will tremble in fear of your greatness."

"Not tonight. Shall we dance?" He held out his hand.

"Only if you take off those horns." She said.

"Done." Loki removed the helmet and handed it to a nearby servant, then pulled Seren onto the floor.

They hadn't danced together since the night of her prom. She looked up at him, her hand resting on his shoulder as they waltzed. "You're not going to leave tonight are you?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Well, the last time we danced, I didn't see you again for seven years."

"No, that won't happen again. I promise." He dipped her back suddenly, causing her to laugh.

"Good." She said.

He stood her back up. "Come, let's get some air." He took her by the hand and together they wove their way through the crowd, bursting out onto the balcony.

"I have to say, I have missed this place." Seren said, gripping the railing. She took in a deep breath. "The air here is so sweet..." She closed. "Not like back home. And the bridge...It's so beautiful.."

He stood next to her, staring out at the city below. "Would you like to see it?"

"I can say I've never seen it in the dark. So...Yea!"

He wrapped an arm around her waist. "Here's your warning." He said. They disappeared before she could reply, reappearing on the bridge just before the Bifrost. Seren closed her eyes and blew out her breath slowly.

"I think I'm getting used to it.." She opened her eyes and gasped. All the colors of the rainbow pulsed beneath her slippers feet. She walked towards the Bifrost, staring down as each footstep glowed brightly. "Loki this is...wow...how long has it been here?"

Loki looked up at the giant dome. "Since before my grandfather's grandfather was born."

Seren snorted. "That's like...a million years Loki."

"One million and two actually."

She laughed and stared up at the Bifrost. "Holy shit. I barely remember this. This was the way I went home the first time I ever came here." She lifted her gown and walked into the dome.

Loki followed, nodding at Heimdall who stood with his back to them, staring putt into the stars. "Good evening Heimdall."

The golden warrior turned his head slightly. "Good evening Prince Loki, Lady Seren. Was the ball so uneventful that you had to escape to the Bifrost? Looking for mischief are we?"

Seren looked at Loki, stopping in the doorway. "How did he know I was here?" She whispered.

"I know many things my lady." Heimdall replied, hands resting on his sword.

Loki smiled. "Heimdall has the gift of sight. A valuable asset to Asgard. He can look in any direction and see anyone and everyone in all of the nine realms."

Seren walked around the perimeter of the dome, dragging her fingers lightly across the golden walls. She stopped just at the opposite opening of the Bifrost, directly in front of Heimdall. "That is amazing..." She said. "But..don't you ever get bored?"

He smiled slightly, continuing to stare past her. "It is my duty, but it is an honor. Billions of beings in the universe, it never gets boring."

Seren turned to stare out in the same direction. It was a spectacular sight. Millions of stars twinkled and shimmered in the pitch black sky. "All I see are stars. Beautiful, but stars either way."

"Where you see stars, I see different realms." Heimdall replied.

"So this...room generates some sort of energy that shoots people to all these different places?" She asked.

"Yes, you are correct. But it cannot be done without my permission or the All Father's, and not without the key." He said. "And I alone allow entry into Asgard."

"That prevents potential threats." Loki said, walking with his hands behind his back.

Seren stepped up onto the doorway that Heimdall stared out of, pressing her hand against the wall for balance.

"Careful my lady. If one were to fall, it would most likely be to their doom." Loki said.

"Or one of the many un-navigated territories." Heimdall said.

Seren looked up, down, left, and right. Nothing but black and stars upon stars. "Beautiful..." She whispered.

"Perhaps we should return to the festivities. I'm certain by now we've been missed." Loki said, holding his hand out to her. She accepted it and stepped down.

"Goodnight Heimdall." She said.

"Farewell Lady Seren." The warrior replied.

OoOoOo

Seren stood by the balcony, sipping a glass of sweet wine. Loki was across the room speaking intently with a tall man with long black hair and

"Seren!!" She turned at the sound of her name being shouted above the laughter and music. Thor cut his way through his crowd of admirers, making a beeline for her.

"Thor!!" She squeaked as he lifted her of the ground into a hug so tight she thought her head would pop right off."Gods it seems ages since we last saw one another. How are you?" Thor asked, placing her back on the ground.

"I'm good. Really good." She said. "But I hear you're doing better than most. King Thor." She playfully punched his arm.

"Aye. Thank you, you'll be here for the ceremony tomorrow?"

She finished the contents of her glass and dabbed her lips with a napkin. "Of course. I couldn't imagine not seeing it. Are you nervous?"

He laughed heartily. "I know nothing of the word. Let's not speak of nerves, the night is still young. Let us drink and dance until we can do so no more!" At that, he plucked a goblet of wine from the tray of a passing servant.

"I'll see if I can keep up." She replied.

"You will. And you'll not regret that you did!" He grabbed a nearby woman and drug her onto the dance floor.

"Asgard's future king." Loki said dryly, handing her another glass of wine.

"Well...it could still turn out ok.." She replied, wincing as Thor slapped the backside of another woman who passed by. "Oooh wow."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment!