Status: Finally Complete!

Falling Is Like This

Chapter Eight

Seren opened her eyes, trying to focus on the ceiling. The night's previous events replayed in bits in her head. Numerous glasses of wine were consumed. She'd danced with Thor and his friend Fandral a few times, once with the giant Volstagg, but mostly with Loki. Of them all, he was by far the better dancer, ever conscious of his hands. Thor minded the location of his hands, but not his mouth and in his drunkenness, had tried twice to kiss her while mumbling the name Nyssa. Fandral was very suave with words like velvet. He had tried only once to kiss her but a cold glare from Loki as he danced past with another woman stopped him, and actually ended their waltz rather quickly. Volstagg was as large as he was loud, though he was very kind hearted. He led her all over the dance floor, all the while making her laugh with his witty comments.

Seren rolled onto her side, and came face to face with Loki's sleeping form. She quickly lifted the blankets and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Calm yourself. Nothing happened." Loki said, eyes still shut.

Seren didn't know what to say. Everything that came to mind had the potential to be insulting and at the very least awkward so she sat up. The sun was shining brightly through the large windows. The gentle warm breeze blew the blue chiffon drapes like a ghost. If her head weren't throbbing she would have thought she were dreaming. She laid her face in her hands trying to stop the room spinning.

She felt the bed shift and Loki sat up and stretched. "Mm. Good morning ducky." He said with a yawn.

Seren groaned and fell back on the mattress, her hand covering her eyes. Loki leaned over her and smiled. His black hair fell in his eyes and he was definitely shirtless.

"Seren? Are you ill?" He poked her side. She squirmed and rolled on to her side. "Wake up."

She pulled a pillow over her head. "Please stop yelling..." She groaned.

Loki laughed. "I was hardly yelling. What's wrong?" He lifted the pillow from her head.

"I think I'm hung over..."She pushed him away, and he almost allowed it. "You might want to back up, I feel like I'm going to throw up..."

"Now we've been there before, haven't we?" He whispered, brushing her hair out of her face.

Seren looked up at him. "How bad was I last night?"

He smiled, tracing tiny circles on her bare arm. "Oh you were quite charming. You brought a smile to the faces of all who encountered you. And you tried to best Thor in a battle of who could drink the most ale. What you're feeling," Loki traced her forehead. "Is your defeat. You have an Asgardian spirit, but you are still Midgardian. Our drink is more potent than your kind is used to."

Seren snorted. "My kind. What am I? An alien?"

Loki looked her over curiously. "I don't know...your head is quite big."

Seren's mouth dropped open in shock and she smacked his arm. "You ass!"

He laughed and grabbed her wrist. "I couldn't resist, apologies." He placed his hand over her forehead. "Calm your mind and close your eyes."

Seren exhaled through her nose and did as he said. His hands were cold on her skin. He stayed like that for a minute in silence. She opened one eye and looked at him. His eyes were closed and his brow was slightly creased.

"What are you doing?" She asked.

"Sshh. I'm concentrating." He replied quietly.

Her skin began to tingle and grew warm. She shifted nervously under him, keeping her eyes closed. "Loki...what's happening?" She whispered. He said nothing. Where his hand laid over her forehead, the skin became unnaturally warm, almost feverish. Just before it became uncomfortable, his hand lifted and she opened her eyes.

She looked up at him. "What just happened?"

"How do you feel?" He asked. "Sit up."

She did as he asked. To her surprise, the room was no longer spinning and her head was free of its vice grip. "Holy crap Loki...What did you do?"

He smiled brightly. "Just a little something I've been working on. How do you feel?"

She brushed a hand through her hair. "I feel...ah-mazing. It's...crazy." She turned and looked at him. "This is incredible Loki...thank you." She leaned forward and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I'll accept your thanks..." He fell back on the bed, pulling her with him. "In kisses." He leaned up and pressed his lips to hers. Though it took her by surprise, she quickly fell into him, closing her eyes. He wrapped his arms around her and rolled her onto her back.

He paused, looking down at her. "I have missed you..." He whispered. She opened her mouth to respond but a knock at the door interrupted them. Loki stared down at her, his lips turned up in a slight smile. He leaned down to kiss her once more and was once more interrupted by a loud knock.

His pressed his forehead against hers and sighed. "It appears I'm being summoned." He stood and pulled an off-white tunic over his head. "I'll send in a servant with some clothes for you."

She stood and tucked her hair behind her ears, wrapping a silk robe around her. "Ok."

He turned towards the door before turning quickly and pulling her to him in a deep kiss. "Stay close today. The castle will be filled with people from all around. I'll send for you just before the ceremony. There are some things I must do before hand." The loud knock came again and Loki rolled his eyes. "I'm coming!" He bellowed. He kissed her cheek again before rushing to the door.

OoOoOo

The processional music introducing the King and Queen began to play. Thor tossed his mug over his shoulder, shifting slightly from one foot to the other.

"Nervous brother?" Loki appeared from behind a row of flowing drapes, his horned helmet atop his head.

Thor turned at the sound of his brother's voice and laughed. "Have you ever known me to be nervous?"

Loki smirked. "There was the time in Nornheim..."

Thor smiled, stepping down to stand next to Loki. "That wasn't nerves, brother. It was the rage of battle. How else could I have fought my way through a hundred warriors and pulled us out alive?"

A plump servant entered the hall with a tray of wine.

Loki scoffed. "As I recall, I was the one who veiled us in smoke to ease our escape."

Thor waved the servant away. "Some do battle, others just do tricks."

The servant stood to the left of Loki, remaining silent. "You know Thor, someday, you will be happy that I have my tricks. It may be my tricks that save your ass one day." He glanced at the pitcher of wine the servant held and gave the slightest twitch of his fingers. In a second, dark purple snakes slithered out of the pitcher, causing the servant to cry out in fear. The tray clattered to the floor and the snakes immediately changed back into spilt wine.

"Loki." Thor said disapprovingly. "Now that was just a waste of good wine."

Loki smiled. "It was just a bit of fun." He turned to the servant who looked less than happy. "Right my friend?" The servants nodded hesitantly and remained silent.

The music changed and Thor placed his winged helmet on his head. "Nice feathers." Loki quipped.

Thor scoffed with a smile. "You don't really want to start this again, do you, cow?" He gave him a playful punch in the arm.

Loki rubbed his arm. "It's a bull, and I was being sincere!"

Thor laughed. "You are incapable of sincerity."

Loki turned to look him in the eye. "Am I? I've looked forward to this day as long as you have. You're my brother and my friend. Sometimes i'm envious, but never doubt that love you."

Thor clapped Loki on the shoulder. "Thank you."

"Now, give us a kiss." Loki said.

Thor rolled his eyes and adjusted his armor. "How do I look?"

"Like a King." The blast of a trumpet echoed the hall. Loki straightened up. "It's time."

Thor bit his bottom lip and grabbed a goblet of wine from the tray of another servant. "You go ahead." Loki looked at him, his brow raised. "I'll be along. Go on."

Loki stepped out into the throne room. On either side of him were throngs of citizens from seven of the nine realms, all cheering in excitement. Red and gold banners hung from the massive cathedral ceiling. As he walked towards the throne, young girls cried out to him and held their hands out for him. He smiled and waved at them but his eyes scanned the crowd for Seren. He found her standing to the left of the dais in the front of the crowd. She wore a deep purple gown with golden sleeves that hung off her shoulders. She was a beautiful sight and it took all his resolve not smile and wave at her just as madly as she was waving back at him. He gave her a knowing wink and he ascended the dais to his place a step below Queen Frigga.

The Warriors Three and Sif soon joined the royal family on the dais. Loki scanned the crowd, ready for the ceremony to be over so that his time with Seren could begin. He heard the rise in the crowd's cheers and turned in the appropriate direction. Thor slowly made his way down towards the throne, raising his arms on the air and laughing. The crowd went wild, women and children cried out to him, waving scarves and tiny banners.

He tossed Mjolnir into the air, catching it expertly, sending the crowd into even more of a frenzy. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Sif roll her eyes.

"Oh please..." She mumbled.

Thor removed his helmet, knelt before the throne and set Mjolnir down with a thud that reverberated throughout the hall. He smiled up at Odin and glanced at the queen. She gave him a disapproving stare with the slightest shake of her head, the hint of a smile on her lips.

Odin stood and pounded Gungnir against the marble floor. The crowd immediately silenced. "Thor Odinson, my heir, my first-born. So long entrusted with this mighty hammer, Mjolnir. Forged in the heart of a dying star, from the sacred metal of Uru. Only one may lift it. Only one is worthy. Whoever wields this hammer commands the lightning and the storm. Its power has no equal -- as a weapon, to destroy, or as a tool, to build. It is a fit companion for a King. Today I entrust you with the greatest honor in all the Nine Realms. The sacred throne of Asgard. I have sacrificed much to achieve peace. So, too, must a new generation sacrifice to maintain that peace. Responsibility, duty, honor. These are not merely virtues to which we must aspire. They are essential to every soldier and to every King. Thor Odinson, do you swear to guard the Nine Realms?

"I swear."

"Do you swear to preserve the peace?"

"I swear."

"Do you swear to cast aside all selfish ambition and pledge yourself only to the good of all the Realms?"

"I swear!"

"Then on this day, I, Odin Allfather, proclaim you--" A sudden, deep chill suddenly settled in the room. "Frost Giants!" Odin breathed.

Without warning, chaos broke out. The citizens all made for the exit. Seren tried to get out of the way but found herself getting pulled away by the fleeing people. "Loki!" She cried.

Loki took a step forward but Frigga grabbed his arm. "Go with your father. I'll take care of Seren." She said.

He looked at her warily. "Please be careful." He said, before running off with Thor.

"Seren! Follow me!" Frigga cried. She held her hand out and Seren took it. Frigga reached out and plucked a sword from a passing guard.

"What's going on??" Seren asked.

"I cannot answer that, but if ever there were words that I did not want to hear my husband say, it would be frost giants. We will go to my chambers until the situation is under control." Frigga pulled Seren behind the throne and pushed back a drape. A small door was revealed, leading to a narrow passageway. Silently the two women hurried up the seemingly endless flight of stairs until finally arriving at a large iron door. Frigga pushed into it with her shoulder and slowly it opened. "Watch your head dear."

Seren ducked down as she stepped out of a large fireplace and into the Queen's bed chamber. Frigga hurried to the door and barred it with a large wooden beam. She turned to Seren, entwining her fingers to hide her nervousness.

"Are you alright Seren?"

Seren stood in the doorway to the antechamber, clutching her chest and breathing quickly. Frigga hurried over to her. "Seren?" She placed a hand on either side of her face looking her over for any obvious injuries. Seren's breaths were coming in short gasps. Frigga took her by the shoulders and led her into the sitting room where she made her sit down. "Seren, look at me."

"I...c-can't breathe..." She met the Queen's gaze with wide eyes.

Frigga smiled and once more placed a hand on either side of her face. "Yes you can...I need you to calm your mind my dear. Listen to my voice. I'm not frightened, so you shouldn't be either. Look at me."

Seren began to take slower deep breaths and stared into Frigga's blue eyes. She instantly felt a wave of calm wash over her, and suddenly she was exhausted. Her eyes grew heavy.

"There we go. Much better. My boys are two of Asgard's finest warriors, I have every bit of faith in them. That is why I do not worry." She said.

Seren fought to keep her head up. "How did you do that?" She asked.

Frigga smiled and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "There is magic in us all, some of us just have better access to it." There was a booming knock at the door. In an instant, Seren was awake and Frigga stood before the door brandishing the sword.

The knock came again, this time followed by the voice of Odin. "Frigga, open the door, the threat is secure."

Frigga sighed in relief and removed the beam from the door. Odin entered followed by Loki and a very angry Thor.

In a rare show of affection, Odin reached out to gently caress Frigga's cheek. "Are the two of you alright?"

Frigga nodded and gave his hand a squeeze. "I believe Seren had a bout of panic," she watched as Loki stalked over to Seren. "But it has since passed."

Loki sat next to Seren and touched her chin gently. "Are you alright?"

She nodded. "I am. I don't know what came over me...I'm sorry."

"Let's get you something to eat, perhaps that will help?" He said.

"Have Lyria take her down to the feast hall. There is plenty for her to eat there. We still have a few things to discuss." Odin said. He nodded to a servant girl with long auburn hair twisted into a braid over her shoulder. The girl entered and helped Seren to her feet. Seren stared at Loki.

"It's alright. I'll join you shortly." He kissed her forehead and watched as Lyria led her away.

OoOoOo

"Is my lady feeling better?" Lyria asked.

Seren sat at the far end of the feast hall, starting out at the beautiful skyline. She took a goblet of wine from the nearby table and sipped it. "Yes I am. Thank you."

"Is there anything else I can get for you?" She asked.

Seren stared out at the Bifrost. "No...Thank you. You can go back to whatever you were doing, you don't have to babysit me."

Lyria smiled. "As you wish. If you need anything, ring the bell at the end of the table and someone will attend to your needs." And without another word, Seren was alone. The feasting hall was decorated beautifully. Large bouquets of flowers decorated the sconces on every column. Red and gold chiffon drapes hung from the vaulted ceiling, billowing softly in the warm afternoon breeze. Meats and pastries and cakes of all kinds littered the long tables, untouched. Servants quietly began to clear the untouched dishes from the tables.

The sound of doors slamming open brought her to attention. Thor stormed in, looking angrier than she'd ever seen him. She nearly called it to him, but before she could, he grabbed one of the massive tables and with a yell, flipped out on its side. The beautiful flowers and food scattered on the floor.

Lady Sif entered seconds later. "Redecorating, are we?" She stood looking at the mess with her hands on her hips. The Warriors Three entered behind her.

"What's this?! All this food...so innocent." He picked up a large turkey leg. "It breaks the heart."

Thor stormed away from them, in the direction of Seren. She looked around, trying to think of something to say, but he stopped and sat down on the steps of the balcony. Seren relaxed against the wall, holding her wine glass between both hands.

"It is unwise to be in my company right now, brother."

Seren glanced up to see Loki appear from behind a column and lower himself to the stair next to Thor. "Who said I was wise?"

Thor clapped his hands together in frustration. "This was to be my day of triumph."

"It will come, in time." Loki leaned forward and lowered his voice. "If it's any consolation, I think you're right. About the Frost Giants, about Laufey, everything. If a few of them could penetrate the defenses of Asgard once, who's to say they won't try again. Next time with an army?"

Thor nodded in agreement. "Yes! Exactly!"

"But there's nothing we can do without defying Father."

Thor looked down at Mjolnir, an idea forming in his head.

Loki blinked. "No. No no no. Thor I know that look." Thor jumped to his feet.

"It's the only way to ensure the safety of our borders." Thor said, looking down at Loki.

"Thor, it's madness." Loki said a bit louder than intended.

Volstagg heard and turned his attention to the two brothers. "Madness? What sort of madness?" He set the small tray of good he'd collected down.

Loki chuckled. "Nothing. Thor was making a jest."

"The safety of out realm is no jest." Thor looked at his friends and smiled. "We're going to Jotunheim."

Loki sighed and looked down, bring his hand to his eyes. Seren took that moment to quietly move to Loki's side, lowering herself next to him. He took her hand in his, running her knuckles with his thumb.

"What?" Fandral asked.

Sif's brow furrowed. "Thor, of all the laws of Asgard, this is one you must not break."

Loki watched with dread as the friends spoke. Seren rested her chin on his arm. "What does all of this mean?" She whispered.

Loki turned to look at her, his nose nearly brushing hers. "It doesn't mean anything good. We need to get you home."

"I don't want to go home. I want to stay with you." She argued.

"It is forbidden!" Sif cried.

Seren and Loki glanced her way. Thor began speaking to them again. Loki wrapped an arm around Seren. "I want you to stay as well, but right now it isn't safe. This is something I must fix." He whispered, kissing her cheek. She laid her head against his shoulder.

"...You're not going to let my brother and me take all the glory, are you?"

Loki looked behind him, startled. "What?" To go to Jotunheim and risk his father's wrath was the last thing he wanted. What he did want included Seren and himself and a bed. He suddenly felt very tired.

Thor smiled down at him. "You are coming with me?"

Loki smiled. "Yes. Of course." He stood, pulling Seren up with him. "I won't let my brother match into Jotunheim alone." He tightened his hold on Seren.

"And I." Volstagg and Fandral said.

"And I. The Warriors Three fight together." Hogun spoke up.

Loki looked at Seren. "I'm afraid it's time for you to go home."

Seren sighed. "Can't I say goodbye to your mother?"

Loki shook his head. "There's no time. This isn't going to end well."

"This isn't making me want to leave, you know. You're being very cryptic." He silenced her with a deep kiss.

Thor and his friends began to make towards the exit, Loki and Seren followed. Once they were at the stables, the servants began to prepare their horses for travel.

"Stay here." Loki said, leading before she could object. She stroked the black mane of Loki's horse and watched as he jogged over to one of several guards and began to speak to him.

"We must first find a way to get past Heimdall." Thor said.

Volstagg and Fandral began to speak. Loki came up silently behind Seren and pressed a kiss to her neck.

"Are you ready?" Loki asked. Seren looked at him and shook her head. He cupped her face and brushed her cheek with his thumb. "It's only for a few days, I promise. Just until everything is secure."

Seren sighed and nodded. "Alright."

Loki smiled and hoisted her up onto the saddle, then climbed on behind her. "You know I love you." He whispered into her hair. Seren turned to him as he nudged the horse into a gallop behind Thor with Sif and the warriors three following. Together they rode out of the palace gates down the rainbow bridge towards the Observatory. Seren could just make out Heimdall's tall form, his golden armor hinting in the setting sun. They all came to a stop.

"Wait for me." Loki said. He turned to the others. "Keep your weapons sheathed and your mouths closed. This is going to take subtlety and sincerity, not brute strength. Leave it to me." They all dismounted and Loki walked to Heimdall. "Good Heimdall-"

"You're not dressed warmly enough." Heimdall said, staring straight ahead.

"Loki smiled. "I'm sorry?"

"The freezing cold of Jotunheim. It will kill you all in time, even Thor." He looked at Loki. "You think you can deceive me? I, who watch all? I, who can sense the flapping of a butterfly's wings a thousand worlds away?"

Loki was slightly taken aback. "You must be mistaken. We're not-"

"Enough." Thor bellowed, shoving past Loki. Loki stood by, angry at the interruption. "Heimdall may we pass?"

Heimdall stared at Thor. "For ages have I guarded Asgard and kept it safe from those who would do it harm. In all that time, never has an enemy slipped by my watch -- until this day. I wish to know how that happened."

"Then tell no one where we've gone until we've returned." Thor shoved past the gatekeeper, his friends following.

Volstagg nudged Loki as he passed him. "What happened? Silver tongue turned to lead?"

"Get me off this bridge before it cracks under your girth." Loki mumbled angrily. Volstagg and Fandral laughed as they entered the Observatory. He turned to Seren. "Come my lady." He held his hand out to her. She took it, gripping it tightly. "Heimdall, if you would be so kind-"

"I will send the lady Seren home once I've sent you to Jotunheim." Heimdall said.

Loki exhaled and smiled. "You have my gratitude." He ushered Seren into the Bifrost.

Heimdall entered after them, climbing onto his pedestal. "Be warned. I will honor my sworn oath to protect this Realm as its Gatekeeper. If your return threatens the safety of Asgard, Bifrost will remain closed to you. You'll be left to die in the cold wastes of Jotunheim."

"I've no plans to die today." Thor responded.

"None do." Heimdall inserted his sword into the control panel, causing the Observatory to spin.

Loki turned to Seren, taking her hand in his. "Do not worry, Seren. I will return."

She smiled, squeezing his hands. "You'd better." She said. "You'd better come back from wherever you're going and bring me back. "I'm ready to make that move you've been begging me for for so long."

He leaned down and kissed her. "You're certain?"

"It's the only way this will ever work...whatever this is." She replied.

"Consider it done." He pulled away from her, joining his brother and friends at the adjacent entrance. "Farewell my lady."

She gave him a tight-lipped smile. "Thor, be careful. All of you, be careful."

Thor nodded at her, and she received smiled from the Warriors Three. Sif gave her a stiff nod. She held her breath and watched as they were sucked out into the cosmos in an array of colors.
♠ ♠ ♠
I shouldn't have to say that I do not own any of the characters or plot of Thor, as much as I wish I did, but I don't. OC is mine and I'd appreciate any and all feedback!