Danger Line

010

My silver irises were glued to my laptop screen, watching a movie Bailey had been bragging around all week. It’s supposed to be this blockbuster horror film called Mama, said to be bringing you the chills just by watching the trailer. Well... I skipped the trailer and now I started asking myself why? I’d have never watched the movie if I’d known some creepy kids would be in there, for crying out loud!

While Johnny was helping Frank to turn from guitar to bass, Bailey and Chris were hitting it up with some liquor back at the bunk area. Matt had volunteered to be the designated driver, which didn’t leave much choice of company. It was either Zacky who was entertaining Matt with his Vengeance University ideas, either Paul who was all fours deep into writing some new songs or Brian, who was taking a nap. Realizing none of them will be up for the movie marathon, I decided to enjoy the luxury of these red walls of tour bus all on my own. Such a stupid idea. I took a bite of an apple, in the same time texting Michelle and commenting on the movie, „Why would you go in there, you stupid son of a—„

„Hello,” A feminine voice spoke up making me skip a heartbeat. Or six. See I was all fours deep in texting Michelle, saying I was fine and still alive, while trying not to piss myself all over when the main monster of the movie jumped in the screen. I raised my eyes, taking a good chunk of an apple to see a stunningly beautiful girl holding out her hand for me, „I’m Kathy.”

I pressed pause on the film. As... the Kathy? This petite, small girl, with the overly cute face was the Kathy, who seemingly was going to kill me? „Oh hey,” I placed the apple on the table, before going for the handshake, „It’s Meg.”

„I know who you are,” She replied with a chuckle. This Kathy girl reminded me of that Gomez girl, the one who always looks like she’s fifteen. „Syn has told me all about you,” She went over to the cupboards, taking out two glasses. „Want some bourbon?”

„Sure,” I answered, typing a text to Michelle, saying I’ve met the girl and she’s anything, but crazy. Well, obviously. Somehow I got the idea of Michelle exaggerating things. Very often.

„Here you go,” The glass landed on the table with a thud. I thanked the girl with a nod of my head, taking a sip of the whiskey which seemed to be mixed with coke. „Okay, so... what can I do for you?” She slipped in the seat in front of me.

„No, no, nothing. I just came to say ‘hi’.” Her green eyes narrowed on something behind me, making her quickly get up from the leather seat. Oh please, don’t be that Mama thing from the movie. „So I guess I’ll see you later. Bye, Meg.” And off she was. Hesitantly I looked over my shoulder to see, who had startled her so much. Zacky Vengeance. And he looked very much pissed. And nothing like Mama. He took Kathy’s previous seat. I sighed in relief.

„What’s with you?” I asked, taking a bite of my apple and later another mouthful of the drink. Didn’t Matt like his designing ideas?

„I don’t like that chick,” My stare followed her dark hair in to the reddish bunk area. She hopped in the bunk where Syn had been taking a nap. I closed the lid of my laptop, feeling grateful for Zacky disturbing my marathon, otherwise I’d most probably would’ve pissed my pants.

„Who is she exactly... Well, besides the obvious?” I questioned, redoing my pony tail.

„She’s the merch girl. Has been ever since Val ditched the job.” He explained, rubbing his knuckles.

„I see,” I emptied the glass, instantly starting to feel something wrong with my tummy. I frowned.

„So are you ready? We have a show in just a couple of hours.” Exactly, I couldn’t have light feet right now. This was our big show, for christ sake!

„The insides are dancing a bit of a mambo...” I got a bit confused. What the hell was going on with me? I wasn’t quite sure what I even wanted to do- throw up or... No, I think throwing up felt most appealing, if only it wouldn’t feel like someone was rubbing my insides with sandpaper. Very gently. Then maybe I’d even considered the thought.

„You’ll get used to it.” He smiled, calming me down, although it seemed the only thing needing of a chill pill was my stomach. What the hell was wrong? I haven’t eaten anything but the stupid apple, but it felt like I was about to throw my feet against the sun.

„No seriously, Zack, I’m not feeling that well...” I boosted myself against the table, feeling cold sweat dripping down my forehead. His eyes shot from me to the glass.

„Did she give you the drink?” He raised the glass to his nose, smelling the liquid. No I didn’t even feel like I was willing to vomit all over Zack’s existence, I was just feeling this excruciating pain in my stomach. With a weak nod of the head, I walked over to the leather couch and laid down. I think I was starting to pass out from the pain, so the only thing I knew, when the picture went missing- Zack was forcing me to drink water. Gallons of it. Because of the pain, I didn’t remember anything. It was like I was flipping on and off, so the next time when I ‘woke up’ I knew Paul was holding me over the toilet bowl, while Bailey was giving me water. I heard Zack and Syn arguing in the back.

„Maybe we should get her to the hospital?” Paul sounded concerned. I was too weak to talk, but the hospital thought sounded very much appealing.

„Nonsense,” Chris replied, although it sounded like even he wasn’t believing himself, „She just drank a little too much.” Drank a little too much of what? I am completely sober you guys!

„Paul, move aside,” I heard Syn’s familiar voice and felt two strong arms picking me up and carrying somewhere. I felt his lips on my forehead and somehow I didn’t feel so sick out of a sudden. Maybe cause I didn’t have anything to vomit anymore? Could that be it? „Baby, what did you do?”

„Put her on the bed,” Matt instructed. If my eyelids wouldn’t have felt so heavy, I’d looked at them, but now I could only try and hear what’s going on. Someone closed the door. So this was the master bedroom we were in, the one which I get to sleep in only after a month? „Syn, you seriously need to talk to that chick.”

„What? You too Shads?” Syn sounded more confused than pissed.

„Do you honestly think Meg’s drunk?” Right on, Matt. You tell him, buddy. I managed to let out a silent groan.

„I don’t know man, I wasn’t with her. I don’t know what she was doing.”

„Are you actually stupid, or are you just playing me? Weren’t you the one to try and outdrink Meg? How much time did that take you and how many hours are we on the bus?”

„You’re not honestly suggesting Kathy tried to poison her...” He sounded incredulous, „Matt that’s—„

„Perfectly believable. We warned you Syn. Don’t you remember what happened to Michelle?” He tried reasoning with him.

„It was her own goddamn fault!” He went in defense, „She was smashed and taking it out on Kathy, you know that.”

„The only thing I know is that my friend and our opening act is puking rainbows and I’ll be making up stories to Zee about why his daughter is not performing. That’s what I know Gates.” Did he honestly call me his friend? Okay, I’m blown away.

„What do you suggest then?” Just by the change of his timbre, I could tell Syn was beyond angry for his friend blaming his mistress. „I kick Kathy off the tour and stand in the booth selling the merch myself?”

„I suggest she doesn’t step her foot in here ever again, from now on she’ll be touring with the technicians.”

„You’re forgetting something, Shads—„

„—No, I’m not. If you want to fuck her- by all means, but she is not allowed here.”

„You’ve lost your fucking mind, Matt!” he shouted.

„No. You’ve lost your fucking mind, Syn. Your best friend could’ve died and you only care for the pussy.”

„Matt?” It took all my strength to speak up. I heard him going around the bed and taking a seat next to me. „Don’t... don’t tell my dad.” I coughed, wincing painfully. „I’m going to play...”

„Are you crazy, Twinkles?” he sounded serious, but I could tell there was a slight glimpse of an amusement in his voice. I opened my eyes to look at him and forced a smile.

„Been all my life. Just bring me some Jagermeister and I’ll be a-okay.” He laughed in disbelief.

„You’re one tough chick, you knew that Twinks?”