Danger Line

002

It was a hard and bumpy road towards the lunch break. I couldn’t believe how stubborn and arrogant these freshmen could get. If they knew it all, why were they even attending my class? Go and trouble Chris with your bullshit if you don’t need my wisdom and skills. Did they actually think I enjoyed those shit talks I just experienced with them? Oh and the never ending questions- are we going to play something from guns n roses? Or maybe Led Zeppelin! Oh I know- how about you all just shut the fuck up?

„So how’s the freshmen treating ya’?” Chris teased as I joined him and Bailey at the lunch brake. I took a seat with the magnificent view through the large window. At this point the very least thing I was willing to see were those know-it-all faces.

I replied with a death glare, flunking my behind on one of the reddish chairs and putting my feet on the table. My eyes roamed Chris’ plate- what on earth did he do to get a pasta? Kill someone? I looked over Bailey’s lunch which consisted of a half full glass of energy drink. I smirked when she pulled a metallic flask from the inside of her leather jacket and spiced up her drink. „Take it easy chump.” She raised her eyes, frowning. „You won’t make it till the end of school.” I pointed to her drink, raising a mug of black coffee to my lips.

„That’s the point.” She replied matter of factly. „If I’ll have to explain to another asshole what a fucking staff is, I’ll going to murder a fucker.”

„I thought you had seniors,” Chris interposed, halfway through his meal.

„So did I. I’m surprised they can even tell the right drumstick apart the left.” She took a mouthful of something which smelt suspiciously like Jagerbull.

„Meg?” A shrill voice chimed from behind me. Not now. I have a lunch break for Christ sake. The woman who happened to be the headmistress walked around me and stopped at the end of the table, just where my feet happened to be. I looked up at her. Her short red hair was spiked up and was that a new nose ring I noticed?

„What’s up Steph?”

„I’ve heard some complaints about you.” She rested her hand on the tip of my boot. She sighed.

„Already? I believe I’ve set a new record this year. Sweet.” I noticed Chris’ grin, cause he knew, if it wasn’t for me, Stephanie would surely be talking to him right now. I had nothing against the headmistress, she was my people you know, only ten years older, but she sure as hell knew how to kick some ass. Musically speaking.

„I’ll congratulate you with a cut of your salary.” She had to do what she had to do, so I didn’t really mind. If it wasn’t for Steph, I’d surely be wiping floors at some expensive looking office building.

„Yeah, whatever, I did in fact owe you some money.” I took a sip from the white mug.

„And there’s something else...” She started

„I’m listening.”

„It’s about Syn’s masterclass...” She stated warily, leaving me dumbfounded. „I sent you an e-mail Meg... Weeks ago.” E-mail? What e-mail? I hadn’t received anything, not that I really had checked or anything.

„I didn’t get it.” The white mug landed on the glass table. „When is it?”

„After the brake.” After the... What? I nearly chocked on my own saliva. Oh, but that means, my services won’t be needed here. Rad.

„Oh cool, so I can—„

„No, sorry. You need to stay. Someone needs to fight off those chicks and who’s better for the job—„

„Than a person, who had been reported on violence towards students? This is a job for Bailey, not me.” I argued, crossing my arms over my Slayer t.

„Bailey’s too... aggressive.”

„Damn sure.” She agreed emptying the glass.

„Is that booze?” Stephany's blue eyes landed on Bailey’s empty glass and later on the flask which was so carelessly laying on the table.

„It’s medicine. I have a prescription from the doc.” Bailey replied simply, searching her pockets for her cigarettes. „It’s either this or it’s me getting in a fight.”

„You both really shouldn’t be teaching...” That was a little too obvious, but knowing how none wanted to work for pennies, Stephanie wasn’t left with different options than employing these shitheads.

„That’s true.” Chris added, resting his hands on his stomach as he leaned against the chair back.

„Chris, I don’t even wanna start with you...”

„What?”

„Okay, so when is mister asshole arriving?” I mimicked Bailey’s action and pulled out a pack of smokes, right after getting to my feet.

„Any time. He invests a lot of dough in this fucking place, so don’t piss him off too much.”

„I’m not promising anything, Steph. Anyhow, been great talking to you. I hope we won’t repeat it anytime soon.”

„Well fuck you too.” She smiled as me and Bails went through that glass door which lead to the yard, where a good bunch of seniors were already relaxing themselves with some cigarettes between their lips. Time to catch up on the latest gossip.

_____

I had finished catching up with all the seniors quite early, which left me another fifteen minutes until the next lesson. Believe me I was as thrilled about seeing Synyster Gates as you are, so trying to find my redemption somewhere, I decided to find it in music. Obviously.

I opened my laptop, plugged in the speakers and pressed ‘play’. Killing In The Name Of by Rage Against The Machine blasted through the speakers. It was good this class was sound proof, saved me a lot of trouble. Otherwise all the normal functioning teachers would’ve already smack talked their way to Steph’s office and I really didn’t need it.

I checked my wristwatch to see I had another ten minutes left when the song ended. One of my shame tracks started playing- Sail by Awolnation. Perfectly fine for clubs and gatherings including almost too much liquor to handle, but not a class for classic rock, alternative rock or rock in general. Or was it?

A bright idea had just been born. I went around the table and bent down to open my guitar suitcase. My eyes laid on a used to be black guitar body, now it was partly black with bunch of bump stickers and scratch marks for my over enthusiastic rehearsing. But hey, whatever gets this thing floating. We could all thank Synyster Gates for stealing my newest baby from me. But nevertheless, I loved all my children equally. Even if this was old and on the edge of breaking apart, it was my first gun and I loved it with all my heart and soul.

Now to set the right distortion... I needed something between warm and dirty, something partly clean. I didn’t really think this old Boss pedal would cut it, so my hand roamed the side pocket of the case, digging out my own favorite Pioneer, before plugging everything to the Marshall amp which hadn’t been here when I went on a lunch break. Where’s the old one? The one who hisses and squeals when applying too much pressure? I had actually grown fond of the old grumpy cat.

When I hit the first power chord a new vision had been born. We seriously needed to do a cover of this song and as soon as possible. I lost myself into the riff of the song, it wasn’t anything too difficult, I just transposed the vocals to my solo’s, playing the main theme and throwing in some new moves, some fresh licks, rapping up with a killer solo. I hadn’t improvised in a long time and I felt darn proud of myself.

„The distortion’s way too powerful...” I heard a masculine voice conclude a couple feet from me. My head turned to look over my shoulder. A tall, buff and tattooed guy. The one and only arrogant bastard himself, we all welcome Synyster fucking Gates.

„Thanks for the advice,” I unplugged my guitar from the amp, „But next time- speak when you’re asked for.”

„I’ll keep that in mind,” He tapped his temple, smirking. I made my way around the table to press ‘pause’ on the playlist. A couple guys of his crew came in, bringing him the essentials.

When they were setting up everything for mister rockstar, I decided to make myself seem important and sat down, checking my e-mails and seeing a couple ‘Last notice’ bills and in fact an e-mail from Stephanie with the subject- Synyster Gates masterclass. I heard a couple of students coming in, but didn’t raise my eyes to notice any of them. Instead I started a round of Sudoku. My ears perceived sounds I really did not wish to hear. Of course how could I forget about his fangirls?

„So we’re set?” One of his crew guys asked.

„Yeah, I think so. It’s just a masterclass so we can go with the Marshall.” Syn replied.

„You know what you’re playing?”

„Just some basic licks and shredding.”

„Good luck then... Text me when you’re finished.”

„Okay thanks man. I’ll see you later.”

„What distortion pedal were you using?” Syn turned to me.

Pioneer.” I answered simply.

„May I?”

„Be my guest.” I shrugged. No actually don’t be, but the faster he starts, the faster I’m out of here. I really hadn’t noticed what the hell he was even doing or who had turned up to his masterclass, I was that deeply in to that fucking game. And I lost. Awesome.

„Okay, so I think we can start, I believe I don’t need any introductions, but if there’s someone, who doesn’t know me, I’m Synyster Gates-„

„I fucking love you man!” Somebody cut in, coming out of the closet with their homosexuality. Just when the whole class erupted in laughter, I was forced to raise my eyes from the macbook and see the class pushing it’s limits. My eyes widened, cause not even the half of these people were my students. I noticed Syn sitting a couple of feet from my desk, just next to the amp.

„Okay cool... So... While I’m checking the tuning you guys figure out what’s it gonna be...”

„Hail to the king!” A girl shouted, making Syn chuckle, before his fingers started ripping up that Schecter in the intro of the song. Suddenly he stopped, making me raise my eyebrow on him and see him holding a red bra. Okay. Here we go. I went over to him, ripping the clothing piece out of his hands, ignoring the note which had been attached to it and went to the girl I knew in fact had nothing in common with lead guitar practice. She was one of Chriss’ students. A blond girl and very underage.

I made my way across the class to the front row where the girl was seated, „Listen, I don’t give an actual fuck why you’re here, but bust another move on him and I’ll make sure you’re on probation.”

„But—„

„Another word and you’re expelled. Comprende?” She nodded. „Good. That also goes to the rest of you. If I see any of your underwear flying in his direction-„ My eyes scanned the students. I couldn’t believe I was actually doing this? Why do I care if he’s charged for child molestation after this, it was none of my business, but the joy of seeing the fear in those kids eyes was just something else. „You’ll automatically transfer to Bailey’s class.”

„What if I’m already in her class?”

„Then what are you doing here, moron?” My eyes narrowed on a kid who had one of those hairstyles that covered half of his face, I wondered how did he possibly see the world with just one eye. „Look, I’ll be nice. Don’t move, don’t make a sound and you’ll live through the day.”

I turned on my heal, managing my way back to the seat behind the desk. Syn looked amused to say the least.

„Wow... I mean... wow.” Not even a complete sentence could make them errupt in laughter. Figures. My boots landed on the desk and I leaned further in the chair, getting ready for my daily power nap. I closed my eyes, hoping this will be quick. „In my days there were some... strict teachers, but she’s something different, right?” No funny replicas, no nothing. Good. „Fine, I get it you’re scared, that’s cool, I’d be too if she was my teacher...” Did I hear a double meaning in that? „Anyhow I need someone to play rhythm for me. Do you guys think your teacher is up for it?” I raised my middle finger in the air, flipping him off. He started laughing. „Cool. So, anyone else?”

Not even opening my eyes, I knew every possible hand been raised up. A deep exhale left my lips. „Frank, you’re up. I owe you for smashing your guitar.”

„But—„

„It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity, buddy.”

„But...”

„But what?” I opened my eyes, looking over the front row in attempt of finding his marine blue orbs.

„I haven’t bought a new guitar.”

„Take mine. It’s yours. Now you have a guitar and you can play with your idol. I believe we’re even.”

I waited for him to come up to the desk and take the guitar. Once he took a seat next to Syn I closed my eyes.

„Hmm... ‘kay... You’re cool with doing this in E minor? Something E to A?”

_________

„Hey, wake up.” Something or rather someone was playing an annoying asshole and yanking my by my shoulder.

„What?” I hissed, finally opening my eyes to see the class empty and Synyster Gates standing in front of me. Wow, I really did fall asleep.

„I’m done. Some of my guys will come for the gear tomorrow.”

„Yeah okay.” I sighed, getting my feet off the dark table and throwing a look over the watch. Half past five. „You finished just now?” A great frown appeared on my face, the masterclass was supposed to end a good hour ago. What was he still doing here?

„No,” He smiled. Thank god, otherwise they’ll sew me for child labor, seemingly making them work after hours. „You know I have to say, this is the first time I’ve seen a teacher so...”

„Adorable? Beautiful? Amazing?”

„Rude.” I rolled my eyes, picking my laptop suitcase from the ground and packing up the macbook. „Are you always like this?”

„Dude, just because you’re famous and everyone wants to be your sex toy, doesn’t mean you can butt in my life. I want nothing to do with you.”

„How can you possibly know what I’m like? You just met me.” He frowned.

„Oh like it’s so not obvious... You’re so full of your goddamn ego I’m not even sure you know what to do with it anymore.”

„Am I?” His frown just turned upside down. Why was he smirking?

„Just look at yourself,” I walked over to the amp and disconnected the distortion pedal from it, „You obviously know who you are and what you’re worth. There should be a tattoo all over your forehead- an arrogant dick.”

„So now I’m a dick... Cool.” I threw the amp in my bag, realizing my guitar was gone. Along with the suitcase. Syn noticed my confusion and explained „You gave it to that kid, remember?” Oh right.

„You’re many other things too, but I’m too late to count them all down.”

„If I’d be such a dick, would I be offering you a ride?”

„I don’t know, would you?”

„Well, I am now.” Ride on him or ride with him? He didn’t quite clarify the matter. Either way, the ride wouldn’t be pleasant.

„After all the shit I just said to you, you’re willing to give me a ride...” He’d still be a dick. „Are you that desperate?”

„I’m not desperate,” He laughed. Yes, I know, he can get anyone he pleases. And he could please to have many at once and it wouldn’t be a problem. „I just want to show you I’m not what you think I am.”

„Oh buddy, you’re way worse, but however, I won’t refuse the ride. Let’s go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, thanks guys for recommending and subscribing and more importantly, commenting.
Nevertheless I have a question for those who're reading- Is Meg a bit too harsh, or is everything just peachy? Let me know what you think oh and here's what she was playing when Gates walked in on her - Awolnation- Sail