Danger Line

008

For the last two and a half hours we all- Chris, Bailey, Matt, Syn and me, were going through a real hell trying to find the right front man to our soon to be band. This was a bit urgent, actually a last minute type of call, cause I really hadn’t believed Syn could pull off putting a band, who wasn’t a band (at least yet) as a warm-up for something as major as Avenged Sevenfold. He told me not to worry about anything, just to recruit the band and we’ll just go from there. Yeah, easier said than done. I was head over heals in my job, trying to get my students to pass their exams, in particular rehearsing with Frank all day every day and looking for a front man was not something I could physically pull off. I told them to go on without me, I’ll be fine with whatever, but no. Not even Chris, nor Bailey, nor even Syn insisted on me being present when the audition would take place... You could take a wild guess, who was the big initiator. Yep, that’s right- it was Matt. Me and him hadn’t quite hit the good start to be completely frank, so I was surprised he insisted for me being there.

So here I was... At the familiar dark walls of Johnny’s, listening to a guy, who sounded like that guy from Wheatus. I wasn’t sure if that was the sound we were looking for. The guy had a potential... Backvocaling Rebecca Black. That’s all I had to say. I sighed and crossed out his name from my list. This day couldn’t quite get better. We had only one audition left and none of the previous guys, nor girls suited our needs.

Honestly, I was pretty surprised to see that much participants, but remembering we lived in Cali, where the biggest dream was to become famous, the surprise soon faded.

„Thanks dude, we’ll make our mind and if you’re in, we’ll call you.” Chris smiled politely, writing something down. I leaned over to look in his sheet ‘A big fucking no’. As I thought.

„So have you decided yet?” Syn appeared behind me, resting his hands on the chair back. I tilted my head back, looking in his dark browns. He looked unusually calm and... happy. Quite the opposite of myself. I shook my head, bending back.

„Next!” Bailey yelled, before discussing something with Matt. Seemed like they had an argument. So what else was new? Bails just pushed him away, but despite her angry and displeased face, Matt was smiling widely. He took his place next to Syn.

„What’s with you?” I heard Brian asking as another guy, a bit more rougher than the last ones, stepped on the stage. He looked like the mix between Johnny Depp and Jared Leto. An undeniable eyecandy. I hoped to god this would be it. He at least looked good, and seemed very much confident.

„Nothing—„

„Shush!” I shushed Matt, turning back to the potential front man of our band. If they couldn’t keep quiet, they could as well leave, see if I care. „What’s your name, love?”

„Love?” Syn chuckled, receiving an elbow in his stomach. I wasn’t in the mood for his stupidities.

„It’s Paul,” He sat on the bar stool next to the mic stand, pulling up his leather jacket sleeves, revealing some impressive tattoo artwork. Okay. I looked down at the list Syn had given me, finding a certain Paul Leroy.

„Okay, Paul, blow us away,” Bailey replied sarcastically, not even bothering to raise her eyes to the performer, instead finding something very interesting in her phone. Me and Chris shared a glance, twitching our shoulders right after. Okay, whatever. Let’s just roll.

Just like with every other participant, Keith pressed the play button on his laptop for their chosen song. It was advantageous we decided to put the audition when it was still the middle of the day and Keith was relatively free from his bartender duties, cause I knew for fact neither Matt nor Syn would want to put an actual effort in helping the matter. They were just here for a good time and some shots.

Sex on Fire? Okay, cool. That’s Bailey’s drinking song, not something I particularly like, but if that’s his choice, who am I to argue. Suddenly I felt Syn’s hands on my shoulders and his fingers pulling off my jacket. What was he doing? He was disturbing me. No matter how skilled fingers he had, I wasn’t up for a massage, but as soon as the guy started singing, I realized not even Syn could tear my attention away from him. From the first note he took the act. I saw Bails looking up, a bit of disbelief lingering on her face, Chris on the other hand was smiling widely, looking from me to Bailey. Paul had this voice, this amazing timbre, the best word to describe it would be bittersweet... You know the voice which’s not too rough, nor too Wheatusy? Yeah, he had the perfect voice. I raised my hand in the air, making him stop with a very deep frown on his tanned face.

„There’s no need to continue,” I said simply, writing a ‘big fucking yes’ next to his name.

„Did I do something wrong?” He got off the chair, brushing his hand through his dark hair. I smiled. Sincerely.

„No. You’re in.”

„What?” His frown just turned upside down. It seemed like Christmas had came early for him.

„Are you deaf, dude? She said you’re in.” Bailey explained, being her charming self as per usual.

„Welcome to the family, Paul,” Chris got up and walked over, congratulating him with a handshake.

„Now what to do with the bass player?” Bailey looked at me.

„We can lend dipshit for a couple of songs,” Matt said chuckling. Bailey raised her brown eyes on him, saying he wasn’t needed nor even wanted at the current situation. I seriously didn’t understand the two of them. Just yesterday they looked rather cheerful at each others company, but now? It seemed like Bails wanted to use her freshly learned box tricks on Matt’s bony ass. I felt Brian shifting all his weight on my shoulders, meaning he was using me as something to boost his forearms on. Nice one.

„What about that Frank guy?” Huh? I tilted my head back, just to notice his face a mere inch from mine.

„He’s a guitarist.” I replied confusedly.

„Last time I checked bass was still a guitar, just with two less strings,” I could feel his warm breath on my skin and sense something that undeniably smelled like Marlboro mixed with Laphroaig. He tipped the tip of my nose, before pushing himself off me, „Just saying, Meg. It’s easier to go from guitar to bass, than the other way around.”

That... That was actually worth considering. I picked up my phone from the table, searching up Frank’s number. Sure, he was young, but I saw what he pulled off with a bit of hard work. From nothing he became something. He graduated with excellence. I believed someone had already offered him a spot in some band, but let’s hope an offer to tour with his idol will set him on the righter if not the right track. Quickly I typed a text, see, I was one of those people, who disliked calling. Many of my oddities, but no one’s perfect. Of course, except Bailey, at least so she thinks.

hey man. it’s meg. i need a bass player, my band is going on tour with a7x, but i’m lacking on one. do you think you could help me out?

„Paul, I official introduce to you this bands mother- Megan Hills,” Chris and Paul had stopped in front of me, making me finally see our front man up close. He surely was a looker. Tall, muscular, tattooed and with a pair of the most teasing eyes I’ve ever seen. Of course right after Synyster Gates. I could already imagine all the girls running after him. „If it wasn’t for her sharp tongue, I believe Gates wouldn’t even acknowledged her.”

„That’s not true,” I heard Syn saying as he returned with two shots. One for me and one for himself. „She completely blew me away with that cover...that song... You guys all know it... It’s constantly playing in Sutra...”

So it wasn’t my magnificent personality that drew him to me? Figures. I took the shot glass, clinking it to his, before throwing my head back and letting the liquid moisten my throat. „What was it again, Meg?”

„You blame it on your ADD baby?” I grinned looking at him. Pun absolutely intended. He nodded, catching on the joke. „It’s Sail, by Awolnation.” The black iPhone vibrated on the table. In just a matter of seconds I was reading the text.

i guess i know a couple guys who can come in handy Boy, he had a low self esteem, cause I knew for fact- Frank was not dumb, unlike mister Gates here.

„Anyhow, Meg’s one of the greatest guitarists I know,” Brian explained as I typed an answer.

no, franco, i want u to be my bass man. four strings shouldn’t be a problem, knowing you handle six with perfection.

„Paul, so you know,” Matt started, before tasting his bud light, „if you agree on this, there’s absolutely no chance of you being sober. That’s just how we roll, man.”

„And on no chance don’t you try to outdrink Meg, she’s a complete maniac, man” Syn added. So he did remember I won. That’s what you get when you underestimate a girl. A certain girl called Megan Milana Hills.

„You shouldn’t try to outdrink any of us,” I corrected, seeing Bailey ordering herself a drink at the bar. I was just the tip of the iceberg, when Chris and Bails were the iceberg itself. Comparing my party spirit to theirs, I could honestly say- drinking with me was a walk in the park. And most of the times me and whoever I was drinking with, really ended strolling through a park.

„I think I’ll be just fine,” Paul said, his blue eyes narrowed on me. What was that look? If I wouldn’t know better, I’d think he was hitting on me.

„Okay, what to do with the songs?” Chris looked at me.

„I may have an idea...” I started, fixing my eyes on Bailey, who had just reappeared with a glass of something brown and I’d guess stiff as fuck. „Remember the time we jammed and I just started going in scales?”

„The time when you went completely batshit crazy?”

„Yeah, I kind of did come up with lyrics too...”

„You... What? We were pretty much smashed, I remember... well I don’t remember that much at all.” And believe it or not, but I saved it in my phone. Oh look, a text from Frank.

it would be an honor! Cool. I opened the file where I’d saved the song and gave it to read to every willing person.

„I’ve got the whiskey running through my veins?” Bails looked at me questioningly, nevertheless I saw how the thought turned her frown upside down. Just mention whiskey and she’s a fully different person.

„I was out of my goddamn mind when I wrote it,” I defended myself. When the truth was... I don’t even remember what the truth was, I only know I picked up my phone the other day and found these amazing lyrics.

„It’s amazing, Megan,” Paul complimented. Dude, you’re really starting to creep me out. There’s an unwritten rule in every band- don’t fall for your bandmates, it’s the perfect recipe for disaster.

„It sounds like you were drunk off your ass.” A chuckle escaped Chris lips. He just knew me too darn well.

„That I was,” I agreed, looking over Syn who had walked over to some girl. Next target. I turned away, but something was left mildly boiling in me. I couldn’t stand him fishing in the open sea this publicly.

„Only... Do you mind if I change them a bit?” Paul asked, his eyes scanning the text over and over.

„Not at all,” I gestured, „I’m a guitarist not a song writer. From now on I only play, drink, get drunk and that’s about it.”

„Meg, can I have a word with you?” Matt appeared from nowhere. Oh boy.

„Sure,” I sighed.

„In private?” Both Bailey and Paul looked at him oddly, but didn’t say anything. I got up from my seat and followed him to the pool area.

„So... What’s up?” I asked rather cheerily, although I knew nothing cheerful is going to come out of his mouth. He leaned against the wall, shoving his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

„What’s going on between you and Gates?” His hazel eyes narrowed on me. A deep wrinkle formed between my eyebrows.

„What do you mean?” Last time I checked there was absolutely nothing between the two of us. Oh god, please not the fatherly lecture yet again. I’m too sober for this.

„I’ve seen the way you look at him,” He said matter of factly. Oh yeah? Then please, enlighten me, how do I look at him? I leaned against the pool table, getting slightly irritated, „Meg, don’t get me the wrong way—„

„Matt, listen, I appreciate you looking out for him... or me... or whatever. I really do, but... How would you feel if I’d lecture you about Bailey?” I crossed my arms over my chest.

„Okay,” He smiled, „Point taken. It’s just... Meg, please be careful. I’m very happy you guys will be touring with us, but just remember who we are.”

„Arrogant douchebags?” I questioned innocently.

„Close enough,” He chuckled, „It’s just... A tour is something fully different than just getting smashed in a bar. For example- we have our tour ladies,” Was he referring to their groupies? Are we actually having this talk right now? „And I’m giving you a slight heads up, they aren’t anything like our wives, or girlfriends for that matter. If Michelle and you can actually have a decent talk and she has nothing against you, then Syn’s tour mistress is a bit rough around the edges.”

„You actually think I can’t handle another of his crazy fans?” An amused smile lingered on my lips.

„I wouldn’t call her a crazy fan,” it seemed like he was looking for the correct term to describe the girl, „let’s just say, not even Michelle wants to get in her way.”

„Why are you telling me this, Matt? I thought you never wanted for me to actually spend time with Haner.”

„I’ve never said that.” He defended himself, „I just said you have to be careful and that I won’t allow Syn to get a divorce, but right now I’m not even that sure about it.”

„What are you saying?” I frowned. What was this sudden change of thoughts?

„Meg, just keep your eyes open, that’s it.”