Gemini

Into The Darkness

The male wakes the female and gives her the blanket. Already, he is wearing his. It hides his face and from far away, it looks like he is invisible against the darkened room. As one of the workers comes to retrieve them, the male strikes his head with the leg of a once comfortable wooden stool. Once the worker has fallen, the female hides him under her bed. They go out into the dimly lit hallway and pass the examination room. The only one that is still bright with an eerie blue color. The male takes an item off of a small table and hides it in his cloak. He leads the female to the outer doors, avoiding any other lit rooms. As they make their way to the exit they here siren blaring. The Board knows they have escaped. They burst out into the open and get their first breath of the natural Berkel air. What hits them the hardest is the extreme cold. However with adrenaline racing through their veins they head for the outer wall. A mysterious man calls them over and drags them down a tunnel.
The male tries to fight but is kept still. As he loses consciousness so does the female and the mystery man takes them deeper into his tunnel system under the streets and out of the city.
As the male wakes, he finds himself in a bed. Next to him is the female. As he sits up he sees the man sitting by an orange light. It seemed to be alive. The male was captivated by it as it moved sporadically through the air.
"You like my fire?" the man asked.
The male jumps back in surprise. The man speaks the language that Gemini created.
"How do you know our secret?" the male asks.
"It's not a secret" the man says. "It's an actual language used by my people. You were born with it already programmed into your brain"
"how?" the male asks.
"Dr. Xanthan took my DNA and gave it to you." The man stated. "That's why you have that growth on your head. It's called hair."
"So you are like our mother?" the female asks as she sits up. "If Dr. Xanthan was our father, are you our mother?"
The man gives them a look. "Uh... no" he says plainly. "The good doctor took my DNA without my permission along with taking me from my world without my consent. You got your physical appearance from my DNA. However I cannot explain the color" He tilted his head as he looked at them. "Hansom features if I do say so myself"
The male tilts his head.
"You’re supposed to thank me" the man states. "I just gave you a compliment"
"You did?" the female asks. "But we did not receive anything. You did not move and hand us anything. How can you give us a... compliment?"
The man sighed. "It means that I have said something friendly"
"Oh" Gemini say. "Ok"
"My name is Anthony" the man smiles. "Do you have names?"
"We are Gemini" the pair says together. "that is all we are"
"You don't have separate names?" Anthony asks. He pauses to think. "Can I name you?"
Gemini exchange a glance. "We will be different?"
"Yes" Anthony says. "You two are different from each other. It's not correct to have the same name. Not proper. Give me a day to think and I will give you two each a name. Then I will teach you of my world" He coughs as he smiles. He knows that the air is killing him slowly and he is almost out of time.
"Can we choose what we wish to be known as?" the female asks.
"If you'd like" Anthony says. "Do you already have names picked out?"
"We have decided to split our given name" the male says. "I will be Ni"
"and I will be Gem" the female says.
Anthony rolls his eyes. "Alright. So be it. You will know be known as Gem and Ni. The brother and sister twins"
"Is that how we are related?" Ni asks. "Brother and sister?"
"Yes" Anthony replies. "On my world you 2 would be known as twins. Born at the same time from the same person" he sighs as he sees the confused looks of Gemini. "Looks" he says. "Tomorrow I will start to explain. Things will make more sense as you grow older. I will even teach you how to read and write"