Twice Bitten

Myth in the Middle

Sara and Elizabeth are not friends. They might share the same school, the same classes, and the same neighborhood, but the similarities end there. Elizabeth was a popular girl, Sara was bit of a nerd. Sara excelled in history and the other core classes, Elizabeth excelled in art and the 'not so important' classes. Each disliked the other to the edge of hate; but neither had a valid reason.
On this day in their rivalry, their class went on a field trip. It was a history class trip so they went to the English country side to tour an old castle that belonged to an ancient king.
"this is so cool" Sara awed. "look at all those cool statues"
"I think they're creepy." Elizabeth said. "Like that one? Ew" She pointed at one that was larger than the others. It was crouched down, peering at the class with squinted eyes.
Sara cringed. "Ok, that one is creepy. It looks alive."
Elizabeth snorted. "you think it's alive. It's a chunk of stone. Duh"
Sara shook her head. "You have no imagination, Elizabeth. Don't you believe that some of the mysteries of this castle might have been real?"
They looked up again and Elizabeth was about to counter Sara when the girls saw the statue move out of sight. Elizabeth screamed and fell back. "Oh my god!"
Sara screamed to but stumbled into the wall. She was pulled back and into the darkness. She heard Elizabeth being dragged off as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"And into the light!" Sara's blindfold was removed. Both girls were in chains against a stone wall.
"What light?" She heard Elizabeth say. "it's dark, and shadowy. Seriously, go look up 'light' in the dictionary. This is so not light"
The kidnapper looked like he was pulled from Sleepy Hollow; or at least the clothing style. The other was hidden in the shadows; well, the darker shadows in the room. Sara could tell that he was huge; bigger than her father, who was 6.6.
"So, why'd you take us?" Elizabeth asked. "staying to long? No, No. It was because we're..."
"Quiet!" The other said. He was the first to ever get Elizabeth to not have the last word. The girl shut up.
"Staying to long is part of it, love" The first cooed. "You saw my friend. you weren't supposed to."
"Oh," Sara breathed. "He was on top of... next to the others." She breathed in sharply. "He's a... oh my god"
A deep, long growl erupted through the dungeons. The man in the shadows came into view. He looked like Goliath from the show Gargoyles but a grey color.
"nice costume" Elizabeth said. "you make those wings yourself?"
The gargoyle said nothing but the man walked over and chuckled. "It's real enough to scare you isn't it. You screamed like a girl"
Sara couldn't help but giggle a bit. "She is a girl. Unless you're unable to see that"
The man narrowed his eyes. "Brat"
Sara simply shrugged. "So... um..." she became nervous. "Are you gonna kill us or...."
"Maybe" The gargoyle said.
"Please" Elizabeth said. "We scream loud enough and people will hear. You'll go to jail, then to Arkham Asylum or whatever. Expecially dressing up like that."
"Elizabeth!" Sara said. "hush!"
"Elizabeth, what a beautiful name" the man said. "For such an ugly heart"
"who are you to talk?" Elizabeth said. "Please, you look like a vampire. Ever heard of a tanning salon?"
The man smiled, flashing a pair of canines that were twice as long as normal humans.
"Get those at the Spirit store?" Elizabeth asked.
Sara tilted her head. "The way you put you lips down, those should have come out if they were fake. I know because I have some at home. I was a vampire for Halloween last year"
"you would be" Elizabeth looked over. "Nerd"
"Spoiled Brat" Sara sassed back.
Elizabeth gave the classic 'hmph' and turned her head away.
"I see you two don't like each other" The vampire said with amusement. Having little human contact, he was very amused by the race's recent behaviors.
"Are you kidding, she's the biggest history geek in our school. everything she talks about is with English history and myth. I mean no one cares"
"They should." Sara said. "Expecially you. You're failing history."
"It's boring"
The 2 creatures watched with amusement as the girls argued.
"It's fun" Sara debated. "The English myths are some of the most interesting. Vampires mostly. My costume last year was probably the most accurate of all of them."
"And the most ridiculous. You were so not cool last year. I was the coolest"
"Yeah, a seductive witch.... wait. You're that every day"
The vampire started laughing. "I could listen to this all day. This is very amusing"
"are you gonna let us go or what?" Elizabeth asked. "My father's gonna put together an all out search party if I'm missing for more than 2 hours."
"Yeah, so? Principal Cain is supposed to do that with any student"
The 2 creatures, stopped their failing act and looked at each other with all seriousness. "Cain" The gargoyle came over. "What do you know of Cain?"
"He's my dad." Elizabeth smarted off. "And he's gonna put you in jail."
"check her blood" The vampire said.
"Or her eyes" The gargoyle corrected. He took Elizabeth's face in her hands. "No sign"
"Let go of me!" Elizabeth was starting to panic.
What about the other!" The vampire shouted.
Sara whimpered and shrunk into the chains she was in when the gargoyle came over. He took her head then shook his. "No"
"Check their blood!" The vampire shouted. "They could be wearing contacts! Blood doesn't lie!"
Sara and Elizabeth whimpered as the gargoyle walked to the vampire. The 2 creatures walked away, the larger somewhat dragging the smaller.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
James dragged Miles out of range. "Miles, I warned you"
"Did you here what that girl said? Cain!" Miles shot back. "The only way to know is her blood."
"And the eyes." James said.
"What about contacts? They might be wearing them!" The vampire hissed.
"No, I won't let you. You could end up like Cain if you do that!" The gargoyle growled at his friend. This once innocent attempt to scare the witnesses out of blabbing the truth became a serious interrogation about any information on the wolf known as Cain. Once a friend of Miles and James, Cain became a monster by attacking a witness when the scare tactic didn't work. After being clean for more that 3 centuries, the wolf had reverted less than century ago and had been in hiding taking 5-7 victims every month. Miles and James had to move from their home into this old castle filled with people every day from the tours. they'd frequently watch the people and get caught every now and then. Miles could pull of being a normal human so he was brushed off as a weird tour guide. James though, if he was spotted, they'd 'kidnap' the witness and scare them to keep the secret. It usually worked but not this time. Who would have thought that 2 middle schoolers... girls wouldn't be afraid of them.
"I will not draw blood" James said.
"It's not like we have to use our mouths" Miles said. "We have claws for a reason"
"How can I trust you to resist?"
"I've been clean for a millennia, I'll be fine" Miles said.
"Really" James folded his arms. "A whole millennia"
"ok fine" Miles shrugged. "So it's only been 4 centuries and few decades. If we were human's that'd be I don't know... 8 years I guess"
"We're immortal, it doesn't matter" James said. "Still. You could revert back like Cain"
Miles hissed at him. "I am not a flea bitten wolf!" The myth of the vampire/werewolf hatred was pretty accurate. Vampires though werewolves to be crude, messy and ugly creatures. Werewolves preyed on vampires so they thought the blood suckers were simply prey.
"I'm telling my dad!" the creatures heard Elizabeth cry out. "HELP! Daddy!"
Miles rolled his eyes. "She is really annoying"
James shook his head. "Fine. A small cut on each. Threaten them to find out if the Cain they know is the one we know. Cain is also a last name as well as a first"
"Fine" Miles said. "A small cut" His sass was so obvious it made Jams growl a threat.
"Ok little girl." Miles said, claws exposed. "You going tell me about your father."
"Bite me" Elizabeth sassed off. "Sara and I are not saying anything"
"Careful, I might take that into consideration"
James growled and walked over to Sara. "What do you know about Cain?"
"He's our principal. Of our school. um... uh..." Sara tried to think of things about her principal that the creatures might what to know. She thought of how they looked at the girls' eyes. "His eyes are green?"
James growled.
"Sara!" Elizabeth said. "Shut up!"
Miles laughed. "She's barely said a word. It's you that have spoken too much"
"So what?" Elizabeth said. "Seriously, they should lock you up in the sun. You need it. No one could get that pale with make up"
"Thank you" Miles said. "Now, tell me about your father? What is he?"
"A leader, duh. People do what he says. He's an important man and if you don't let me go, you're in real trouble!"
"Is he now?" Miles said. "is he a wolf"
"Wolf?" Sara said, barely audible.
"What do you know?" James put a clawed hand on Sara's shoulder to try and scare her.
"He... he's a... normal person. He's just a principal. There's no way Mr. Cain's a wolf."
"does he have a first name?" James asked threateningly.
Sara nodded quickly. "It's like Tomas or something" she shrunk back.
"Is he a wolf?!" Miles shouted at Sara again.
"No you idiot. He's a person. Are you seriously that stupid?"
"E... Liz! Shut you mouth!" Sara's warning came to late. Miles hissed and bit Elizabeth where her collar bone was. Vampires prided themselves in their cunning and intelligence so any insult of stupidity or lack of intelligence was death wish.
James turned and rush over, accidently clawing Sara's shoulder. The girls screamed as Miles was pulled off. James quickly dragged the vampire out of the room and contained him. He chained Miles using silver chains and shown a black light onto him. The UV rays were strong enough to seriously weaken a vampire but not enough to kill. The silver was a weakness and vampires could not break it. Miles yelled and hissed at James, he was already reverting. James went back and broke the chains that held the girls. They ran up the stairs without looking back. The interrogation had gone too far.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Elizabeth!" Principal Cain hugged his daughter as the girls came outside. It was dark by now and police had the place surrounded. The Captain radioed his team that the girls had been found.
"What happened?" Principal Cain asked as he saw the blood.
Elizabeth, in tears began to speak. "We... we weren't paying attention and fell down the stairs. We got lost and I tripped and fell into armor. Daddy, my shoulder hurts"
Sara, also in tears, was surprised that Elizabeth didn't tell the truth. Of course, who'd believe her?"
The Nun that head of the orphanage Sara belonged to ran up and hugged the girl. "Oh my, Sara your arm!"
"I... I... when I fell, I scrapped it." Sara cried. An ambulance was also at the scene and took the girls to the nearest hospital.
"These look like claw marks" said one medic at the scene as he looked at Sara's wounds. The other shook his head and shrugged. "Lets just treat it"
James watched from the top of a tower, hidden in the moonless night. He shook his head. This was not good.