Rise of the Guardian

Lion of God

Thatcher!" Adam lifted his head as he heard his name called. He knew the voice this time; a voice of power, a voice of leadership but he knew it was not the one he wished for. It addressed him by his last name, not his first. Adam left his tent and into the crisp, cold air of Boston Massachusetts. The one who called was standing before him, tall and strong.
"Yes sir" Adam asked
"A letter came for you." The man said. "I had the feeling I should deliver it myself"
Adam became concerned and took it from the general's hand. "Samantha?"
The man showed hardly any emotion but Adam could tell that his general seemed grim. Adam took a breath, he knew that New York had been taken and that many people had been forced out of their homes or killed, and he hoped that his wife and young son would not be one of them. However as he went back into the tent and read the letter, he let his head fall and he wept over his family. His wife was alive but as for Adam's son, the boy had stood up against the red coats and had paid for his life. When it was time to march, Adam said a prayer and prepared his mind for the battle a head in New York. They had to take New York back; it was essential.
The Patriots had won the battle in Boston; a great victory worth celebrating but now was not the time. The British troops were strong and outnumbered the militia by hundreds! The king's army was just that, a true military; well trained and bred for war. The American troops were just a militia; it's a miracle how they were able to get by so far. These untrained men, however were fighting for the most righteous cause; Freedom. The British were fighting for power and control. The Americans had God on their side and as they reached New York, Adam said a silent prayer to win this war.

"GO NOW!" A man screamed as the British gained the victory. Adam fought on; he had the front lines and would not give in. He fought like a lion, charging in, taking down any Red Coat he could. He was not going to let them take this city. He fought for his family, for his men, for Freedom and for God. Covered in dirt and sweat, he aimed true and fired, hitting a soldier square that was about to fire upon his fellow patriots. He hesitated when he heard the call for a retreat, knowing that Washington would have held out until he knew there was no victory. As Adam stood and viewed the battle, he saw his brothers fall by the muskets of the British. This was no battle, it was a massacre. He turned to follow orders of a tactical retreat but he had hesitated for too long. He collapsed as a musket ball collided with his back and came out through the front. Adam heard a voice as he took his last breath.
"Adam, be not afraid. Welcome home"
The patriot closed his eyes for the last time, knowing that this war will be won and freedom will be earned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Ariel" A voice says. "Ariel, arise"
Ariel opened his eyes and took a breath. Before him stood a being of greatness; it was indescribable. The sheer power of this being radiated out. As he stood, Ariel saw more of these beings all with great power. He was in a holy place, he knew where this was; this was where God dwelled.
"Ariel, do you know who you are?"
Ariel looked up at him and nodded. "Yes. I am Ariel, The Lion of God. The Angel of protection"

Ariel didn't remember his past, not about the war, or his family, or even the men he fought beside. All he knew was that he was the protector, a warrior, the Lion of God. His direct superior was Raphael, the arch angel. Raphael was one of those mystery angels; one didn't always know what he was thinking, he was so quiet. He spent ages staring down and watching the people on earth. Ariel would frequently join him in silence, just observing.
"They are fascinating works of art"
Ariel looked up and stood into a sitting position. "I often wonder how they survive. Up here, it is peaceful, but there..." the Great lion stared down. "I mean I know it's not Hell but still..." Raphael breathed a small laugh and looked down at him. "I wonder as well."
"Why do they make deals?" Ariel asked. "Don't they know it's wrong?"
"They do" Raphael replied. "They just don't have faith and stray from the path"
"Why?" Ariel asked again.
Raphael looked back down at the world and frowned. "Because they’re human”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ariel was still new so he had much to learn and one thing that stuck in his mind was that even the angels don't know everything. The arch angels were the leaders, taking instructions directly from God. Raphael was one of the four arc angels. He got orders from above and directed Ariel as he was told to do so. Things were direct in Heaven, there were no lose strands. Or at least until Ariel became to feel. As he watched the world below with Raphael, he began to wonder what it would be like to walk among them.
"Ariel." Raphael came to the Lion with an order. "We have a mission on Earth."
Ariel's ear pricked up. "We do? With what?"
"I have a separate mission than you do. You are going to watch an important person"
Ariel was surprised at this. "What? Watch a human?"
"As the Angel of protection, you will protect him" Raphael said.
"Yes, sir" The Lion said.
The person that the Lion was in charge of was a Priest. The priest was supposed to be a vessel for one of the higher up angels and was not to be harmed. While on earth, Ariel was intrigued by the human nature. He became more and more interested in them and started to long for walking among them just to know them. The priest had a child, a son and the little boy saw Ariel from time to time. He described him and a giant lion with angel wings. Of course the boy was only 4 at the time. Ariel liked the little boy and spoke with him at times. However that was close to breaking the rules. Ariel was only to watch the family. Not let them know he was there; his mission lasted for 10 years. The young boy lost the ability to see or hear Ariel, and soon forgot. The lion returned but with more longing to explore the home of humans.