Inheritance Is...

Disapointing

A knock came at the door. College students, Adam opened it and wondered why this guy in a suit was knocking. "Yes?" Daniel asked warily.
"Sir are you and your companion, Adam and Daniel Lens?"
"I'm Daniel, he's Adam. Why? Is something wrong?"
"No Sir I came to inform you that you are now the owner of James and Lily Lens' estate" The man said.
"Estate?" The twins asked. "Sweet!" they high fived. "Where do we sign?"
The man raised his eyebrow.
"Just kidding" Daniel said. "So um... what next?"
"You'll have to come to court to ratify this with Megan Lens."
"Big sister's got it too?" Adam teased. "Aw man"
The twins laughed.
"Sure. When?" Daniel asked.
"Next week." The man said. "It will give you time to decide."
"Well, we finish school next week, so we're cool with that" Adam said.
The man handed them a slip that had the date and time on it. "See you then sirs"
"Sirs" Adam snorted as the man left. "Please. We're barley over 21"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Then it is agreed. Adam and Daniel Lens will split the inheritance with their sister, Megan Lens" The judges gavel fell and the rest of the day was getting the paperwork done and such not.
"Sweet!" Daniel high fived Adam. "We get an estate all to ourselves"
Megan cleared her throat.
"Of course will be sharing with you Megan." Daniel said
"you get... 12 percent" Adam teased.
"ha, ha" Megan folded her arms. "So you guys dine yet?"
"We got another year left but we're totally free this summer" Adam said
"nothing to do but relax in my estate" Daniel put his hands behind his head.
Megan shook her head. "Don't you think it's odd that mom and dad weren't in the will?"
"Peh" Adam shrugged. "They're good folks, just... not family oriented. Gran and gramps were all about family."
"They probably chose us because we stick together!" Daniel said.
"Well, at least stay in contact" Megan said.
the trio had split up for college. Megan went to California and the twins stayed in Kentucky. Their parents moved there from California when they twins were only 13. Megan stayed at the age of 19 until today. Now at age 27 she was finished with school and had a solid job.
"I can't go, you guys" Mean said. "You can, but I've got work"
"Well, why don't we go over there just to check it out." Adam said.
"You get a like a 3 day weekend or something" Daniel added.
"Alright fine. I'll call you when I can. Probably next month or so."
"Ah, ok" Adam sighed.
Megan shrugged. "Sorry guys. Boss is tough"
"We get it" The twins said.
"You go work" Daniel added.
"We'll check it out and take a few pictures to send it to you." Adam added.
"It's just a few miles out of town" Daniel added.
"Or you could wait" Megan folded her arms.
"Come on Meg" Daniel pleaded.
"We'll fix it up, that way you won't have to work when your not..." Adam said
"working" Daniel interrupted.
"ok fine" Megan said. "take good before and after pics"
"We will!" the twins shouted and waved good bye as their sister headed for the airport.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The brothers drove up the long dirt driveway.
"So maybe it's a mansion out in the country?" Adam asked.
"I wish they had a picture" Daniel said. "I've never been here before"
"Gram and Gramps always came to us." Adam added. "I've always wondered why they never took us out here. Or that they were so close"
"a 30 minute drive is close?"" Daniel asked.
"Well, from the borders of town it's only 10."
"Yeah, well. What a rinky-dink area." Daniel complained.
"Oh come on. I bet they have a really cool place" Adam said positively.
"why'd they never let us see it then?"
"Maybe they were secret spies or something?" Adam guessed.
"Oh yeah, spies" Daniel said sarcastically.
The twins laughed and they stopped at the house.
"Whoa" they were baffled by what they saw. An old dilapidated stable was what they saw first. To the right was the house. A long single wide home stood with a rotted roof, cardboard on all the windows and cardboard on the door with the actual door hanging by one hinge.
"This isn't an estate!" Adam shouted.
"It's a dump!" Daniel raised has arms them hunched over. "I don't wanna go inside"
"Let's check inside real quick ok?" Adam said. "Maybe we'll find something to salvage"
Inside, the kitchen was a bug fest. Roaches were everywhere. The bedrooms had mold from some sort of flood, the bathrooms were missing sinks. it was a wreck.
"ok, well maybe in the barn?" Daniel asked.
"Stable" Adam corrected.
"So what?"
Adam shrugged. "I guess"
They stopped when they heard snorting.
"it's a beast!" Adam cried. "this place is haunted!"
"You big baby" Daniel shook his head. "It's a.... a uh... well lets check it out"
They walked in and see 4 horses and 2 foals. 3 were laying down and 3 were standing. They were so thin that the twins could see their ribs and the bones of their face. One was white, one was black, one was dun and the other was chestnut. the two foals were an appaloosa and a paint.
"Are they... ours?" Adam asked and went over. One horse, laying down, got up and stumbled away in fear. "Easy guys. We won't hurt you." Adan said. "Take it easy"
One went over cautiously.
"Adam, are you nuts?" Daniel asked.
Adam reached out his hand and the horse lifted his head quickly. Adam didn't flinch but he was afraid. He just tried not to show it. Daniel did though he was took a step back.
"Don't pay attention to my brother, big guy... or uh... girl? He's just a nervous. It's alright though. You can trust me" Adam cooed the horse forward. It touched it's nose to Adam's hand and he reached up with his other hand to rest it on the horse's check. "See? We don't bite"
"how are we gonna break the news to Megan?" Daniel asked.
"Are you kidding?" Adam asked. "Megan loves horses. She's a big animal vet. She's knows everything there is to know about this guy... or girl..."
"It's a dude" Daniel said. "Ok, big guy" Adam looked up at the big black male. Let's get you some water"
The feed for the horses was eaten by roaches and rats. But the well for the water was clean. The boys bought some harmless cleaning supplies and bug and rat killer, as well as a large trash can and gloves. They took pictures of 'before' for Megan and began clean up. They threw away all the food on the property, all the trash, cleaned up the stalls for the horses as best they could, sprayed the house to where it was almost toxic for anything, and led each of the horse to their stalls where fresh, clean water was waiting. After all that, they called Megan to ask how much food a horse needs per day.
"why?" Megan asked.
"Just asking" Daniel said.
"Well, they need about 2% to 2.5% of their body weight." Megan said.
"uh........." Adam was lost.
"Why do you ask?" Megan wondered.
"Well, I'll send you these 'before' pictures and the 'after' for today. You'll see why but I don't think they can last much longer. Expecially the little ones.
"ok?" Megan was lost too. "I'll check them out tonight."
Daniel sighed. "This is going to be difficult"
"More like frustrating" Adam said.