Nudge

Spawn

Sophie's parents were yet again going to a parent-teacher conference. It wasn't their second or even their third. It was their seventh time; the exact age of Sophie. This time it was her classroom teacher. Mrs. Meyers wasn't fond of kids that were different. Those students were odd and a bit uncomfortable to take care of. Mrs. Meyers was looking for a way to get rid of Sophie and she was glad that she found an excuse.
Mrs. Meyers's desk stood motionless between Sophie's parents and herself. Sophie's father sighed tiredly. "So what did she do?"
Mrs. Meyers slowly answered, "She refuses to do her work, even when told many times. Instead of playing with the other kids in recess, she sits alone."
Sophie's father says a bit loudly, "And that's a reason for us to visit?"
The elementary teacher continued, "Sophie also won't talk when she is called and when she does, she makes inappropriate remarks. She talks to inanimate objects and often calls boys peckers and the girls candy. Briefly, I don't think this school is fit for children like Sophie."
Sophie's mother looks directly behind Mrs. Meyers and straight at the achievement certificates. "I thought this school was supposedly gifted with talents of taking care of children with special kids."
The teacher shakes her head. "I'm sorry, but there's nothing our school could do. Perhaps you can get help from a therapist."
Sophie's mom murmurs, "We already have."
"Oh, well then."
Mrs. Meyers stands up. "It was nice that you selected our school as one of your tools to help your wonderful child."
As the parents stand up, Sophie's mom asks, "Would you like to say goodbye to Sophie?"
Mrs. Meyers shakes her head. "That's okay. I wouldn't want her to feel sad."
The lie is obvious. Sophie's mother looks disappointedly at the teacher as the father looks coldly.
The mother asks painfully calm, "And you call yourself a teacher?"
Mrs. Meyers stared at the floor as the parents quietly leave the classroom. The teacher thought gladly that they finally left. The parents were almost as uncomfortable as their spawn.