Sequel: Apathy

Oblivion

Chapter Four

When I opened my eyes the next morning, I had no intentions of getting up. I had to work because it's Wedsnday and I had to go get my prescription. Justin was still bagged out on the other bed, so I decided to sleep a little longer. Turns out, a little longer turned into a lot longer. I woke up when Justin smacked me with his pillow once again.

"Dude, don't you have work?" I looked at the clock. That got me up pretty damn fast.

"Yeah, like an hour ago, did you just get up?" I said, slipping on my jeans and a shirt.

"Yeah, I'm off today, I didn't know." I was pretty pissed.

"Thanks anyways," I said running out the door. I borrowed his car for today, usually I could just walk.

About half way, the car ran out gas.

"Of course, fucking perfect!" I yelled out of frustration. My hands smacked the wheel. I pulled out my phone. "Yeah, my car ran out of gas and I need someone down here to tow it please." I said to the tow company.

"Some one will be there soon."

"Thanks." I ended the call. This was just perfect. I didn't even have Alena's number to tell her what happened. I was as well as fired by now.

Seven minutes later, the tow truck came and took the car. I then set out on foot to work. If I wasn't fired already, I may still get in a few hours of work. I texted Justin on the way.

"The car ran out of gas on my way to work. They towed the car to the place downtown. Sorry dude, I'll pay the bill." It was my own fault, I should pay. A little bit later, he responded.

"Don't sweat it, shit happens." I smiled a little. Justin seems to understand me pretty well. We still have our dissagreements, but for the most part we're pretty good.

So when I finally got into Starbucks, I walked up to Alena and explained what happened.

"Listen, I understand....but it's not my decision. You'll have to talk to Alex about it." I nodded and made my way behind the counter.

Four hours of work was plenty for me, just for the day of course. After we had closed, I asked Alex if we could talk.

"I assume you're going to explain why you were late today?" I nodded. "This better be good," he muttered.

"First off, I fell back asleep. Lame excuse, but usually my roomate wakes me up. Unfortuantely, he didn't have work, so he didn't ake me up in time. Then, I used his car to get here, but halfway it ran out of gas and had to be towed. Finally, I had to walk here on foot, which took longer than I wanted it to. I'm sorry I let you down, I understand if you're going to fire me." I said, a little dissapointed in myself.

"Fire you?" He laughed a little. "I wasn't going to fire you Kellin, things happen. This is strike one though, don't let it happen again." He patted my back and stood up to leave.

"Thanks," I said with a grin. He smiled back, then left the cafe. I went outside and caught up with Alena.

"Hey, is now a good time to asked about going to the bar?" She said.

"Sounds fun, seven?" She nodded. "See you there," I turned onto a new street, leaving Alena alone now.

When I got home, I watched some TV and ate chips. I'm very unhealthy sometimes. Shit, I forgot my medicine. How could I forget all about it? Vic's going to be so pissed. I got up and put the chips back, then I headed to Walgreens. I get my prescriptions there. And boy, was I lucky. I arrived a half hour before they were closing. The doctor had called in my prescription, so it wasn't very long before I got it.

Take twice a day for the duration your doctor recommends. Side effects include: Sweating, headaches, stomach pains, and drowsiness.

Great, side effects. I really didn't want to deal with stomach pains, sweating, or headaches. I didn't want these to make me feel more shitty. But I guess I'd deal with it, I mean it's not permanet. I'd take one tonight and start with the morning, night routine.

I left Walgreens with my medicine and headed to the bars. It was close to seven anyways. When I got there, I spotted out Alena and sat down with her. We ordered a couple of beers and talked. I didn't really want to get wasted tonight, due to work tomorrow and also it was peer pressure last time. Alena didn't seem to care. Pretty soon, the atmosphere got kind of...flirty. Alena said some things she thought maybe I wouldn't understand, but trust me, I knew exactly what she meant. She was flirting with me. She must not know I'm gay. I went along with it for a little while until we got up to dance. Now believe me, dancing with a girl is not a big deal for me, but what was was when she leaned in, almost as if she was going to kiss me. Oh my god, she was going to! I stopped her in her tracks.

"Alena, I gotta tell you something." She moved back, dissapointed. "I know you've been flirting with me all night, which is really sweet and all, but...I'm gay." She looked a little shocked.

"Oh...I guess I didn't...sorry." She let go of me. I quickly pulled her back with a grin.

"It's okay, you didn't know, but let's not ruin the night because of one awkward moment." She nodded in approval and we continued to dance. I'll admit it was a really sweet and romantic dance, but I feel it'd would've been even better with Vic instead. God damnit, here I go with Vic again. I just can't help myself. Whenever I get an oppurtunity, I try to talk about him. I wish I'd stop this bullshit, it wasn't going to happen.

Well, I haven't fully convinced myself yet.

When the dance ended, I told her I better get home and that I would see her at work tomorrow. We exchanged our goodbyes, then I headed home. Unfortuantely, it wasn't such a good ending of the night for me.

I got choked off walking past one of the gas stations. Some guy had me by the neck with a gun pressed to my forehead. As you can imagine, I was freaking out. Hypervenilating, I guess you could say.

"Give me your money," The guys spat.

"I-I don't have any." I said innocently. I really didn't.

"Don't start your bullshit, give me the money or I'll shoot."

"No disrespect, but you're right outside a gas staton, you know that right?" His grip tightened. "Sorry, sorry." I pulled out my wallet and handed him the ten bucks out of it. He glared and looked at the wallet himself. There lie nothing but my drivers license. "Told ya."

"You're one lucky bitch."

"Don't call me a bich, if anyone is the bitch here, it's you. Going around mugging people, what the hell's wrong with you?" Whoops, shouldn't have said that. The man came back and faced me. Quickly, he threw a punch, which I tried to dodge, but I didn't, and I got hit square in the eye. I let out a sob of pain as the man left, taking my money with him. I sat down on the edge of the road. It was definently going to be black tomorrow morning.

Eventually, I walked home through excrutiating pain and went to bed. I had no intentions of staying up. I closed my eyes a fell asleep fast, quicker than normal.

---

"Oh my god Kellin, what happened to your eye?" Vic questioned the next day.

"I got into a little trouble last night," mentioning the mugger wasn't something I wanted to do.

"With who?"

"Some guy, he...mugged me."

"Why didn't you call the police?"

"Sorry, I care for my life." I muttered. Vic frowned a little.

"Does it hurt or anything?" I nodded. It was throbbing at the moment. He left the room and soon came back with a pack of ice.

"Thanks," I said reaching out to grab it.

"Let me," he said placing the ice on my eye. I grunted, it felt weird. "Sorry, sorry," he loosened his grip.

It felt really awkward, having Vic holding the ice to my eye. It was as close as we've been since Friday night. Bad part, I like this.

So with myself huddled very close to Vic, holding an ice pack to my eye, we started the meeting. I told him I started the pills this morning, leaving out I was going to take one last night before the incident. He scooted some, closer so he could examine my eye.

"How's it look?"

"Bloody, bruised." I laughed.

"Yeah well." He smiled. God, that smile was killing me.

"Hows yours?'" I said with a smirk.

Huh?" He looked at me. Quickly, I got close and looked deep into his brown eyes. They had some hazel in them too.

"Very pretty." I let go with a grin. He smiled. It was just an excuse to touch him again.

Eventually, putting the ice back, he spoke. "Nice play Quinn." Why did he call me Quinn? More importantly, why did I like it? I gave him a look of pure innocence. "You don't fool me, you looked into my eyes as a flirt." I laughed.

"I'm a flirter, you're just the flirt." I winked. Surprising enough, he didn't blush or look away. He seemed completely nuetral about it. What was he up to?

He sat back down and we spent the rest of time talking about our family lives and how we both felt alone. I guess you could say we felt alone...together. Get it? My puns really suck sometimes.

When I left, I felt a little better. Now I just needed to force myself to take the medicine. It was on the counter, across from me. I sighed and got some water. It's just a pill, I thought to myself. Eventually, I opened the container and took a pill out. Quickly, I popped it in my mouth and chugged some water. It had an after taste that was utterly disgusting. But at least I got it down. I put the medicine in the cupboard above the sink in my bathroom.

"Ew..." I muttered, looking for some milk. I just needed to get rid of the shitty taste. Sure enough it helped.

"How long do you have to take it?" Justin asked, entering the room. I jumped and spilled the milk.

"Shit Justin, you scared me." I calmed myself down. I guess I didn't know he was here. I got some paper towels and cleaned up the mess. He just laughed.

"Sorry, but answer my question."

"Not sure, I'll ask Vic." I pulled out my phone to text him, but soon realized I never got him number. "Nevermind, we'll find out someday." He rolled his eyes. How could I forget to get his number? I went into the bedroom and started cleaning. I must've been doing it by instict, because I didn't really realize what I was doing until Justin spoke up.

"What're you doing?" He said, laughing at me.

"Shut up, I clean when I'm thinking."

"Mmm? Thinking of your boyfriend." He smirked.

"He's not my boyfriend," I said rather harshly, "Just my therapist and no not about him." I lied there. I was thinking about Vic, but many other things as well. Like my screw up at work, and Jenna.

I sorted through a pile of magazines Justin had bought. He might as well be a hoarder. After I finished, I moved onto yet another pile, but this time a bunch of papers.

"Don't you ever clean?" I said with a scoff. He shook his head.

"Nope, never. I'm fucking nasty." I laughed. The way he said that was funnier than it should've been. Man, did it feel good to laugh for stupid reasons again. I felt like I was becoming myself again. Ever since I took the pill, I've become more relax and less, I don't know...paranoid. I'm usually worried a lot.

After another good hour of organizing and dusting, I bagged out and went to sleep. I just wanted to sleep and not deal with tomorrow. I had to work again, which is zero percent fun whats so ever. Justin had fell asleep earlier, so he kept me up for quite a long time by his snoring. I had to throw pillows at him just to get him to shut up. Eventually, he got the hint and I got some peace.

Please, let tomorrow be a good day for me...

---