Sequel: Apathy

Oblivion

Chapter Seven

Austin's POV:

"Hey, Austin, you coming?" Alan, the guitarist for my band asked me.

"Oh...yeah. Sorry, lost in my thoughts," I replied, spinning around and throwing on a tank top. We're starting our US tour today.

I scream for a band called Of Mice and Men, which I joined after meeting the singer Aaron Pauley. We became good friends and he told me about the position, so I thought why not. I then proceeded to drop out of college and start my career. Then, we got signed to Rise Records, and here we are.

This is going to be exhausting, but I love all my fans.

I guess I got stuck in my thoughts again, like I usually do, I think things through a lot. But right now, I was only thinking about one thing. Kellin, my ex boyfriend. I really miss seeing him, I wish we could've stayed together. But I moved to the other side of the country and things weren't working out. There's no doubt in my mind that I still have feelings for him, they've never left. I still love him. So, since he doesn't know I'm in a band and all now, I'm just waiting to surprise him. August nineteenth needs to get here sooner, because I seriously cannot wait.

---

Kellin's POV:

I woke up the next morning with a mild headache. Oh, and I was in the hospital. The doctors still haven't told me what happened, and I'm getting agitated, because I really just want to know. But, there really wasn't much time to be thinking about that stuff, because for the most part, I was just thinking about Vic. Was what he said true? Did he actually care? I don't think he does, it was just an excuse to put me in misery again and again. It's just torture, and I don't understand why he keeps coming back, knowing he's hurting me even more. Last night was so hard, asking him to leave. I really wanted him to stay, but I knew it'd be for the best if he just left. I told him get out, quietly because I didn't dare say it normally, he would've heard the shakiness in my voice. Instead of leaving, he'd try to help me, which would just make me feel more miserable. No one can really help me anymore, I'm too far off the edge. Mr. Fisher walked in, tearing me from my thoughts.

"Mr. Fisher?" I asked, confused. He was a physiological doctor, he's not supposed to be here.

"Hi Kellin, I just wanted to check in for a small chat, is that fine?" I sighed, then nodded. I couldn't leave anyways. "Good. So, Mr. Fuentes says he ended your therapy sessions because you're doing good again, is that correct?" Wait, what? He never ended the sessions, I did. I thought this over a little more thoroughly. Why would he say that?

But then I realized something. If he said I didn't show up, my parents would be involved and I'd be forced to go. Vic wasn't forcing me to go anymore, in a way, he properly ended our sessions. But why would he do that? I quickly responded, not wasting anymore time due to a long silence.

"Uh...yeah, yeah he said I was better a-and that I just need to stay on my medication and I'd be fine." I replied, lying. It was the best I could come up with.

"Alright, I just wanted to double check, ya know? Anyways, get better soon." He smiled and left the room. I let out a sigh of relief, I was worried he wouldn't believe me.

I started thinking again, why would Vic tell him he cancelled the sessions? Does he not want to see me anymore? No, that's not it. Maybe he accepted the fact I didn't want to go anymore. Either way, I know he did it for me. And now, I feel like a dick, always screwing shit up. I did all these horrible things to him for one reason and still he did this for me. He could've said I just didn't show and then I'd be forced to go. He did it because he actually cared.

"Mr. Bostwick?" My other doctor came in the room. He's Mr. Damon I believe.

"Yes?" It's actually Quinn.

"We have results now, so do you want to know what happened?"

"Yes," I said eagerly.

"Well, a man named Damian Lewis shot you, hitting you a little below your right knee. You passed out from blood loss, but fortunately, you didn't die. No vital organs were harmed, though...you're not going to be able to walk for awhile." I opened my mouth to speak, but then I closed it. I couldn't walk?

"Will I walk ever again?" I asked, slowly.

The doctor's look was enough to answer my question. "We're not sure."

---

Vic's POV:

I dug through my closet, finding my suitcase and started to fill it with some clothes. I was going away for a little bit, I just needed to get away from awhile. Ever since I realized Kellin didn't need me, I thought it'd be best for the both of us if I got away. And where was I headed? My parents. I haven't really spoken to them since I graduated, but I needed to talk to them, and hopefully they'll understand me better now.

I cancelled Kellin and I's sessions because he wasn't going to come and I couldn't handle the awkwardness between us. Plus, it was really the only way I could say I care. I zipped up the suitcase, then set it on the wheels, dragging it towards the door. Jaime already knows I'm going to my parents, not the real reason why though.

Jaime kissed me before I headed out to my car. My parents live out in San Diego, so I was going to fly there from the airport about an hour from here.

Once I was in the car, I started the engine and rolled out of the driveway. Hopefully this will get things off my mind. I just need some time for myself.

---

Kellin's POV:

After I heard the news, I was really shocked. I may never walk again? I can't even fathom that thought. I pulled out my phone and called Justin, but of course he didn't answer. Work, how could I forget? I could call Jenna, but I was more eager to call Vic. I just wanted to apologize for all my wrong doings. I don't have his cell phone number, just his home phone, so I called that.

"Hello?" A man answered after I dialed his number. I could tell it was Jaime.

"Hey Jaime, it's Kellin...is Vic there?" I said, biting my bottom lip. I was nervous.

"Oh...no he's not, he's going out of town for awhile."

"What? Where?" I said quickly.

"San Diego, to visit his parents, do you want me to leave a message?"

"Uh, no, thanks though...bye." I hung up, not waiting for a response. Then, I realized that I probably should've asked for Vic's phone number. But I wasn't going to keep bothering him, so I decided I'd just call Jenna. Once her number was dialed, it rang a little bit, but she finally answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey Jen."

"Oh hey Kells, how's it going?" I sighed.

"Not great...I'm in the hospital and it's literally an unbelievable story."

"What? What happened?" She practically screeched.

"Calm down," I said. "Justin got into some trouble with a man and a gun and I'll just say I took the bullet. It went below my right knee and the doctors say that I might not be able to walk again...or at least for a long time." I felt shivers when I said.

"Oh Kellin, I'm so sorry. Uh, what hospital are you at?"

"Mercy's."

"I'll be right there."

"Alright," she ended the call. That's one thing that's nice about Jenna, she'll always be there for me no matter what.

A little bit later, none other than Jenna herself walked through the door. When she saw me, she ran over and hugged me.

"Thank god you're alive though." I laughed at her.

"Yeah...I'm just really bummed," I stated.

"Because you may not walk again? Kellin they have many other solu-"

"No, no, that's not why."

"Then what's bugging you?"

"Vic," I admitted. "He came here last night and I pushed him away, only hurting myself more. I didn't think he cared. But he told my doctor he cancelled our sessions so I wouldn't be forced to go. Then, when I called his house, Jaime told me he wasn't there, he was on his way to California." She had a sympathetic look on her face.

"I'm sorry Kellin, when will he be back?"

"No clue Jenna, no clue." I sat up a little, positioning a pillow supporting my back. I ached all over.

"So...when do you get out?"

"Probably not in the near future, not if I can't walk that's for sure." She smiled, which made me feel a little better.

"Don't worry, I'll be there every step of the way, if anything, we'll get you a cane." I laughed at her.

"A cane? I'll look like an old man!" Now she was laughing.

"Yeah, yeah, but we'll figure it out, the important thing is you're okay." She moved back to the edge of the bed and hugged me.

"Thanks," I said, muffled by her body.

"No problem, listen, I gotta get going, I have work soon. I'll come back soon, promise." She did a pinkie promise and I laughed at how childish she was sometimes. She got up and waved, then left. Now, I was alone in my thoughts again.

I just wish Vic was here, it was eating me alive not being able to talk to him. Of course when I don't want to talk he's always hanging around, then the moment I do want to talk, he's gone. I guess it's just my luck though. I feel like shit.

Being alone wasn't a very safe thing for me right now. I mean, mentally, not physically. I'm just going to get lost in my thoughts and be depressed about stuff if I keep it up. I just wish I could forget, but I couldn't.

And that wasn't even the hardest part.

---

Vic's POV:

*Four hours later*

When my plane landed in San Diego, I was more nervous than happy. Here I was, going to my parents by myself. It was late as well, but the house isn't too far from here. I called a taxi when I was getting my luggage, and the man said he'll be here in a few minutes. And let's just say, it's been plenty of minutes. Twenty-two to be exact. Maybe he's running late? Seriously, why would I even consider that?

With a sigh, I grabbed my luggage handle and headed out of the airport. I guess I'll just have to walk. I just hope I don't get mugged out here. Along the road, I saw a bunch of people, sitting on the sidewalk, one guy was laying inside a vent. I frowned a little, I knew where I was. I was on the East side of town, the dirty side where all the homeless people live. I always feel bad for the homeless, but I never trust them either. It's just unsafe. No offense, but when they're out for too long, they kind of go nuts. I remember when I was little, my parents and I always went on walks, but we avoided this street, specifically because we heard a story of a lady who made direct eye contact with one of the homeless and the next thing you knew, the guy stabbed her. I've felt unsafe ever since then. But fortunately, I made it out unharmed, and I was thankful for that much.

Fifteen minutes later, I made it out of the East side and started towards the West, where I live. I pulled out my phone to check the time. 7:04. So, not too bad, but the sun's setting and I need to get home before it's pitch black. I quickly stepped up my pace, even though I was sweating. I'm out of shape, that's for sure. After a few more minutes, my phone rang. It was Jaime. I didn't have time to talk, so I silenced the phone and continued to walk. I just needed to get home right now. And I did, a half hour later.

When I went up the steps and towards the door, my heart was leaping out of my chest. It was so weird, being here again. it brought back memories, good and bad. But it also brought back resentment. I was kicked out of here for being gay. By my own parents too, would they even let me in again? I gulped, then knocked slowly. I wasn't nervous or happy anymore, I was scared. I heard some noise, then the doorknob turned. My dad opened and seemed a little surprised by my presence.

"Uh...hi," I said, avoiding eye contact.

"What're you doing here Vic?" My dad said sternly.

"Listen I just needed to get out of town and I thought I should come-"

"Are you still gay?" He said, interrupting me.

"Uh...yeah." I shouldn't lie.

He shook his head. "Sorry Vic," He started closing the door, but I stopped it with my hand. I was so sick of their shit.

"Really dad? You're going to shut the door in your son's face because he's gay? I'm sick of this shit, it isn't fair! I'm you son dad! Stop shutting me out." I screamed at him, holding back tears. He seemed shocked to see me talk back, considering I never used to. And with a sigh, he replied.

"Come in," He mumbled, pushing the door open more. I was relieved that for once, I won an argument with my parents.

We walked down the main hall into the living room where my mom was. And boy, did she look pissed.

"What's he doing here?" She said, pointing at me.

"Thanks mom, it means a lot." I let some tears fall. She stared, but I couldn't read her expression. All I know is it wasn't sympathetic or apologetic. And that's what hurts the most, the way she can't even see what she's done to me. She makes me feel like I'm worthless all the time.

"I think we should talk," my dad finally said. I nodded and sat in the chair across from my mom. It was sickening, just looking at her.

"Okay, talk," I stated, trying to act stronger than I actually am.

"Vic, why are you here?" My mom asked.

"I wanted to come and sort things out, but I also need a place to stay....I left town for awhile."

"Of course," She muttered. And that tipped me over the edge.

"Wow, mom...wow," I laughed. "Are you fucking serious? It's like you don't expect any good out of me because I'm gay. Woopty do, I like guys! I'm just a fucking failure. I am so very sorry that I let the world down. Please forgive me, please please please forgive me. I'm so fucking sorry!" I yelled in a mocking tone, which caught her attention. She was about to reply, but I cut her off. She was going to listen to me for once. "No, I don't want you bullshit! I'm so sick of you treating me like I'm nothing! I'm not asking you to support my rights, what I'm asking is that you quit shutting me out because it isn't fair to any of us. You don't have to like that I'm gay, but it doesn't effect who I really am, okay? So quit trying to talk yourself out of guilt, because you're fucking guilty for being a fucking bad parent." I paused.

"And you too," I pointed at my dad.

"That's enough Vic! I've heard enough, you're reasoning is far off. Would you like to know-"

"Fuck yourself," I shouted at her. It was just pissing me off, seeing that she'll never understand. Why did I try?

"Vic don't talk your mother like-"

"You know what, fuck you too! Don't even think that I'm going to feel guilty after saying this shit to you, because I'm not going to. If you can't understand my point, then you aren't worth being called my parents. But it's okay, because I'm not worth being called your son right? Because I'm gay?"

"Vic..." My mom sighed.

"No, am I right?" My dad and mom exchanged glances, before she talked again.

"You're worth everything Vic....it's not that we don't love you."

"Then what is it?"

"I'm....we're sorry Vic. I guess I never realized what I was doing was so wrong and...such a horrible thing to do to our own son. We shouldn't have pushed you out because you're gay. I'm so sorry," i saw her eyes well up with tears, and I felt a little bit of satisfaction. I finally got what I wanted. But part of me knew that I was never going to forgive them for this. And I confirmed that when she stepped forward, going to hug me. But I took a step back.

I always thought I wanted their affection and love again, but it turns out, I didn't want it at all. I just wanted them to feel as bad as I have these past few months. I get it, that's pretty shitty, but I don't care. They deserve it.

"Don't," I said, looking up to meet her sympathetic look. "You've hurt me too much, I can't forgive you. But I'm glad you've finally realized what you've done." I said again, more sternly this time. I grabbed the handle of my suitcase, and turned on my heels, leaving the house. I don't have a place to stay, but I'm sure anywhere would be better than there.

So, I set out on foot, looking for a hotel or something. Which, pretty soon, I came across a Best Western. Walking in, I was greeted with the smell of coffee and chlorinated water. I've always liked the smell of hotels. The lady at the counter greeted me.

"Hello, how can I help you?" She asked politely.

"Yeah I need a room for one for a few days." I came here for a reason...to get away. I wasn't going to let my parents ruin this, there's no way I'm going home just yet.

"Alright, you're in luck, we have one room left. Name please?"

"Vic Fuentes."

"Okay, we ask you to pay before hand."

"No problem," I took out my card.

"Okay, thank you," She slid the card. "Debit or credit?"

"Uh...debit." She tapped some buttons and handed my card back.

"Your room is floor four, room 288, enjoy your stay with us!" I gave her a small smile, took my key card, grabbed my bags, and headed towards the elevators. I was soon greeted by a really tall guy, almost mocking my height, and a kid with bright, red hair. I felt uncomfortable, me being 5'6 and all. They both smiled, so I smiled back and stepped inside. There was an awkward silence until we landed on floor four. I got off and headed towards my room. Whoever those people were, they seemed nice.

The key card was accepted, so I entered my room and put my stuff down on the bed. It really wasn't anything special, mediocre, but I really wasn't looking for first class. By now, it was dark, so I decided to go to bed. I'd probably get up early and do some stuff, whatever really. So with that, I slipped into some sweat pants and turned out the light, sorta ready for tomorrow.

But hey, time doesn't stop for us, right?