Status: In Progress

Breaking the Silence

Cemetery Gates

*Shane' story*

Death has always been a part of my life. I've come to accept it throughout these many years of experiencing it's wrath. The first brush with death I had was when I was 9, my twin brother Haiden drown im the creek behind our house. I remember the day so clearly. It feels as if time cessed to continue after this monumental event in my life. My older brother Michael was suppose to be watching us swim. But he was too enveloped in the new game he had recieved the previous day for his birthday. After about 25 minutes of swimming unattended Haiden and I got hungry. I volunteered to make a couple sandwiches for us while Haiden continued to swim. He thanked me and dove under the water.

The day was grey and rather cloudy, I remember noting the lack of sun on my journey into the house. During my making the sandwiches I noticed it started to rain. I shrugged it off and finished the magnificent turkey, ham and bologna filled sandwiches. As I headed out to the creek I was kind of concerned for how seriously the storm seemed to have turned and decided it best I get Haiden and we eat our sandwiches inside. But when I reached the creek I didn't see him anywhere. I also noticed the creek had risen several feet. Could it have possible risen so high in just a short 5 minutes? Well it had. Apparently a dam further upriver had burst and my brother was hit in the head by a tree trunk. He then slipped into unconciousness which resulted in him slipping beneath the surface of the water and never again reamurging.

My brother Michael blamed himself for not watching us and never got over the guilt. It lead him to turn to drugs at the young age of 15. And ever since then he spiraled down. When he was 17, my 14th birthday, he was involved in an accident. He had been high and driving. While attempting a u-turn he was ran into by a semi truck.

I've tried for many years to cope with the loss of both of my brothers. Their deaths had a vast effect on my development. I relied on drugs for a few years until I met and joined my current band Breaking the Silence. I can say in complete honest that these guys saved my life. Their support got me through my addiction. I watched as Taylor and Dylan suffered through their drug addictions and it gave me a mirror to realise what I was doing to those I loved. I reformed my life and have since devoted my life to music and my bandmates.

There is nothing I could do to repay my bandmates for their effect in my life. We all have dealt with our own struggles, but together we have overcome much. Music has helped all of us prosper in this life. We are committed to use our experiences and music to effect others. We want to be a confidant and source of strength for people suffering through their own hard times in life. We want to help people through their struggles like music has done for us.