Ways of the Grypas

Exploration

"Captain Pike. There is small life on the planet. Possibly sentient"
"Beam down a landing party. Mr. Spock, I want to to join us" The captain orders.
"Yes Captain" Spock replies.
Captain Pike, of the U.S.S Enterprise leaves a man in charge. He, Spock and 3 others join him to explore the planet's surface. The planet... Gascia.

As the landing party transports to the warm surface, Spock starts taking reading of the atmosphere and various other components. Captain Pike orders to have 2 men break off to gather any records on the planet's deceased race. He and the other 2 try to find the life that the ship picked up.
"Captain." Spock says. "The life forms seem to travel together. They are headed directly towards us. With the smaller one leading."
"How quickly?" Captain Pike asks.
"128.748 Kilometers" Spock replies.
"Phasers on stun only" Pike orders
The team does as ordered and wait until the creatures are in view.
"Captain Pike to enterprise" Pike calls. "Any other life forms readings besides the 2 creatures?"
"No sir" His ship replies. "only small non-sentient organisms in the oceans as far as we can see."
"Understood"
"Captain!" Spock calls.
Out from the trees, comes an odd creature, no larger than dog, It chirps and freezes in it's tracks.
"sir the larger creature is still coming towards us" Spock replies.
"Thank you Spock" Pike replies, boredly. "What is it?"
"based on the readings, Captain." Spock starts. He stops as the creature comes close to him and sits down. "Sir?"
Pike sets down his phaser and Spock raises his eyebrows. "Sir?"
"No sudden movements. Understood"
"Yes sir" Both Spock and the other man reply.
The creature circles Spock and sits again, in front of him. It bends down in a playful stance and growls.
"Curious" Spock observers.
"It seems that it wants to play with you, Mr. Spock" Captain Pike muses.
Spock raises an eyebrow. "Play?"
"Very dog-like" the other man says.
"Yes..." Pike says and slowly crouches down.
"Careful Captain" Spock warns. "The other creature is closing in"
The larger creature roars and the others move into a defensive stance.
The smaller creature jumps up, snatching the communicator of of Captain Pike and racing off.
"That must be its mother" The man says as the large creature snarls at them.
"Indeed" Spock replies as he turns, phaser ready.
The larger creature races after the smaller one. The men race after as screams fill the air. Pike calls out 2 names of the landing party-the ones not with him at the time. The 3 find them dead; killed by something other than the 2 animals.
Pike narrows his eyes. "These creatures are dangerous. Set you phasers to level 1"
"Yes captain" Spock says. He and the other man do as instructed and Pike sends the other man up with the dead. Around them stands broken walls of what was once a city.
"Captain" Spock observes. "This is the remains of the Gascia's people. There has been no life for the past 125 years, excluding the 2 creatures that we have seen."
They hear a growl in the distance and see the smaller creature again. It has the communicator in it's mouth. It drops it and chirps out to them.
"Spock," Pike says. "I don't think this thing has seen any other life since the gascians disappeared." he continues by observation. "Consider how large the other one was" He walks forward to see if he can snatch the communicator back. "This one is just baby"
The creature grabs the communicator back and leaps away into the dark. The captain laughs but his smile fades when he hears howls echoing through the trees. The wind blows hard bringing cold air and making leaves fall from the changing trees. A black dog-like creature stands above the pair shows a bloody smile.
"Sir, I believe that is the creature that attacked our men" Spock observes.
"Enterprise, beam us up" Pike says. He goes onto the bridge and directs the crew back on course to they're original mission. The side trip to Gascia will have to wait.