Ways of the Grypas

Re-Entry

"Mr. Spock." Captain Kirk says. "You said you've been to this planet before?"
"Yes Captain" Spock replies. "15 years ago with the previous captain of the Enterprise. Captain Pike"
"The name again?"
"Gascia, Captain" Spock says.
"Coming into orbit Captain" Sulu says.
"Very well, Mr. Sulu." Captain Kirk says.
"Sir there is abundant life in the oceans as well as on land." Spock says. "but for the size of the planet, this is very little"
"Interesting" Kirk glances at his friend. "Any reason why"
"A large asteroid, 1/3 the size of the planet, hit Gascia 140 years ago" Spock says. "It wiped out virtually all life sir. However, Captain Pike and I came across 2 creatures left from the time of the Gascians. It would not be logical to expect them to still be alive. With little food available at the time, it does not seem possible for the creatures to survive"
"But for 125 years?" Uhura asks.
"I am unable to explain that" Spock says.
"Maybe a landing party could find a reason in the people's records" Kirk says. "Scotty, prepare the transporter room. Mr. Spock?"
"Yes sir" Spock says. He stands and follows the captain to the transporter room.
Dr. McCoy meets them, needed on the mission for biological observations. As well as a female biologist.
"Captain, I may warn you. There are creatures that are extremely dangerous. 2 men were killed 15 years ago. Also, Captain, the winter nights can have a temperature as low as 135 degrees below zero. I suggest we collect the records before the sun sets"
"Thank you Mr. Spock" Kirk says. "I'll keep that in mind. Set phasers to level 1"

As they beam down, Spock thinks about 15 years ago and ponders if the 2 creatures are still alive. With nothing obtained last time, this mission is specifically meant for retrieving the records of the Gascians.
4 others were beamed down with the captain and he Kirk split them up into 2 groups. Spock, Captain and a red shirt were one, the biologist, McCoy and the other red shirt were the other group. Within the span of a few hours, a base was found by Spock's team.
"It appears to be a science center" Kirk says.
"Indeed it is. A genetics lab to be precise" Spock relies.
"Genetics?" Kirk asks.
"Yes sir," Spock says as he looks over some burned notes. "I recognize a few of these symbols"
The group begins to look around and record the information for their mission.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ima takes a breath. This is her day of passage. Her day of freedom; similar to a human's 18th birthday. The size of a Lion now, Ima spreads her wings and Iru churrs at her. He lifts into the air and hovers above her. Ima's instincts kick in and she rises into the air. Iru growls lightly at her and guides her through her first flight. Ima gets the hang of it and her curiosity takes hold. She rises into the air, higher and higher. Iru is completely unaware of his student's folly until it's too late. He looks up and Ima has risen above the oxygen level she chokes and plummets to the ground. Iru calls to her and races underneath, using the draft from his wings to put wind under hers. It does little help and Iru can do nothing but watch and wait while the young creature that he's cared for, falls to the earth.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spock heads outside to check for any other life forms, as instructed by Captain Kirk. For some reason, both the Enterprise and the device Spock has, are malfunctioning. Scotty is currently in command and looking into it. The evidence that the machines are malfunctioning is right in front of Spock, just 5 feet away. An odd, cat-like thing with wings, horns, and a snake-like tongue sits, staring at the 2nd in command. Spock narrows his eyes and shakes his head. "Captain, the readings don't pick up this creature at all"
"What in the..." Kirk growls. "Scotty" He radios. "Can you get these sensors working?"
"I'm doing as best as I can, Sir" Scotty reports. "Haven't found the cause yet"
"How odd" Spock thinks.
"It was functioning fine before we beamed down..." Kirk wondered.
"yes. Indeed" Spock replies. His Vulcan ears pick up a sound and he looks up. "Captain. I suggest we duck"
"Why?" Kirk asks following Spock's gaze.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ima catches the wind just in time before crashing into the ground and 2 figures. She opens her wings and zooms forward, gaining altitude just as quickly as a cheetah gains speed. The figures bend down just as she passes over head and one calls out. She glances back for a second but quickly faces forward to avoid hitting a tree. She rises and meets up with Iru and eventually gets scolded after Iru realizes that she's alive. That night, Ima can't help but investigate the figures she almost fell into. Sneaking out of her home she carefully trods through the cold, snowy landscape to the base. As she hoped, the figures are sill there. The one that she came closest to is not, but has been replaced by another. As she hides behind one of the smaller buildings around the base she sees that the 3 figures seem to be worried. She can hear and understand the words they say, although she can't speak herself.
"2 of my men are missing and the temperature is dropping! Why aren't those readings right!?"
"Sir, we're trying as hard as we can. I've been working on them all day"
"Jim, yelling at them isn't helping"
The one called Jim takes a deep breath and shakes his head. "Sorry"
Ima turns her head as she hears a man scream.
"COME ON!" The one that spoke to Jim last races past Ima and she sinks down in the snow to stay hidden as the other 2 pass. She then rises into the air, knowing it's her only advantage against the obvious reason for the scream. She growls as she sees her target, she knows her best weapon is her scream. Only her kind has it. Iru doesn't because he's a different breed. Like cats or dogs, her kind has different breeds. There are medium ones like herself, large ones like Iru and smaller ones that are no bigger than an earth dog. Her breed has the extraordinary scream that is only used for defense. Only 1 or 2 has ever used it, according to Iru.
As Ima lands behind the 3 figures, she sees that damage that has been done. One figure is dead in the snow, another is cowering behind the first 3.