Ways of the Grypas

Nocturnal Killers

Ima snarls as she sees the attacker in its shiny balk coat and scarlet blood on it's jaws. It turns to her and almost smiles. Grypas were a favorite snack to the Equis. Ima hisses and the fur rises from her back. Luckily these things only hunt in pairs. Unfortunately, Ima only sees one. She hears the tall figure in gold shout to the others and hurry over to the ones that were still alive. They disappear in a flash of light but the one in gold stays. He seems determined to get the one in the snow. But he doesn't see the other Equis circling from beyond the trees. Ima catches it's scent though and quickly locates it. The horns on it's head giving it away. However these don't need stealth, they have speed on their side. It races over the land straight for people while the other Equis keeps the people distracted with fake leaps and lunges.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Captain Kirk has already sent the science officer back to the ship. He calls to Doctor McCoy and the red-shirt to put the phasers on lever 1. They face the creature that killed their crew member and Kirk says not to fire unless attacked. The creature circles around them but never comes closer than 10 feet. It frightens the red-shirt and he breaks formation. The captain calls to him but he doesn't respond. It's too late to go after since another creature is racing straight for the foolish boy. Kirk fires but the creature is too fast to be accurate. When it seems as if the red-shirt is doomed, a large ball of fur tackles the attacker from the side. Growls and snarls commence and the captain calls to the Enterprise to beam the 4 crew back home when he sees the other creature distracted.

"Sir, are you alright?" Scotty asks as he sees Kirk's form appear in the ship.
"I'm alright, Scotty." Kirk says. "But, Mr. Gage is not" He looks down at body of the dead and sighs. "Keep well alert on the surface from now on. These creatures are extremely dangerous. There will be no more transporting anytime between sunset or sunrise."
"Yes sir" Scotty says and carries out the order.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ima quickly pulls free from the Equis and rises into the air. Her advantage is flight, and she uses it to hurry home. She lands, bleeding and sore but alive. She settles in her corner of the cave for a good rest. Hopefully Iru will just wake up tomorrow and not notice her wounds. She needed rest, not more life lessons.