Status: Thanks for reading. Please rec/sub/comment!

Heart and Soul

Chapter Eleven

The chaos of the dark swirls surrounded me. Every bad thing I’d ever done flashed before my eyes. My first kill. The first soul. And then the things that caused me pain attacked my eyes. My heart’s removal. Being torn from my family. Living in the shadows.

Something faint tugged in my chest. It was an awkward feeling, one that I hadn’t felt in a long time. Seven decades, eight years, nine months, and ten days to be exact. Something touched my heart. Whatever it was didn’t last long. Tyson greeted me with a toothy grin as the chaos released me.

“Boss is so…” he trailed off when he noticed my signature wait-a-minute finger pointed at him and my left hand holding my head.

The swirling in my head never stopped when the portal did. It always took five minutes. The chaos hated me almost as much as I hated it. I took two deep breaths, my eyes adjusted to the eternal darkness, and then I nodded.

“Boss is soaring!” He bounced on his heals a little. For a second, Tyson reminded me of a little girl who finally got the doll house she’d been asking for.

“Why does that make you so happy?”

“He closed the pit!” He practically squealed. I winced.

“That’s not a good thing…” I trailed off looking away from him. “That means it’ll be worse on the first disappointment.”

“It won’t be me for once,” he promised. “Cassius is waiting in the game room. Said he wanted to finish tag.”

“I thought I won?”

Tyson laughed and shook his head before he walked away from me. Last time he walked away from me he ended up in the pit for a week, and his portal pass got revoked. You don’t walk away from the Boss’s watch dog…

“You coming?” Tyson yelled over his shoulder.

“Yeah!” I felt another tug in my chest. My heart wasn’t there; I know that. But I still felt it. After seven decades, eight years, nine months, and ten days, I felt the annoying beat that couldn't possibly be there and every emotional touch. This touch was different. It wasn’t the normal faint pull that I felt in the chaos of the portal. Something yanked inside my chest, hard enough to keep the chaos in the back of my mind.

“Tyson?”

“Yeah, Nicholai?”

“Why is he moving my heart?”
♠ ♠ ♠
As usual ::grin:! Thank you all for reading and recommending. I can't tell you how much the kind comments meant to both V_A and me.

Alrighty, so enjoy Nicholai this week. ~Nikki