Status: Thanks for reading. Please rec/sub/comment!

Heart and Soul

Chapter Twenty Two

He was nervous I could tell. Angry as well, there was a definite layer of anger hidden there. I knew the other two creatures were lurking outside the door, my hand was still stinging from where I’d tried to punch my intruder in the face. As it turns out Leith had used quite a successful barrier spell.

I shivered slightly, there wasn’t a breeze I was just tired. He stood, lingering, unsteady. I’d planned on killing this creature, I’d imagined it a number of times over, in fact I’d imagined doing and saying a lot of things to this animal, but I’d never expected to feel sorry for him.

Sora. He’d flinched when I’d said her name. She must have been the witch that Leith spoke of. My ancestor was in love with this creature? Jeez! Was she crazy? He loved her though, still did by the look of things. But to exist without a heart? What kind of life is that?

I could feel it, the sympathy, welling up inside of me. My heart yearned on a different level, I’d seen a lot of these soul-stealing creatures now, but none of them had shown the life or love that he did now. None of them had shown much of anything really. Dead eyes and cold faces, they were all a bunch of robots, but this one, with Shark eyes, still seemed to have a glimmer of humanity inside of him; who knew?

“He stole your heart?” I asked quietly, breaking the tension filled silence in the room. He seemed to visibly slump slightly, as though relieved that I was managing to keep up with his words. Taking a few steps back he leaned against the wall, his arms still wrapped tightly around him as though keeping himself together.

“Yes.” He said in a quiet, clipped voice as he hung his head, as though in shame. “It was my fault she died, you know?”

I blinked and turned my head slightly, I thought he’d said that Leith killed her?

“It was our connection that made her a threat. If it wasn’t for me then maybe the Boss would have succeeded in his plan. Maybe she’d still be alive. And you, you probably wouldn’t be here and you probably wouldn’t be in danger.” He went on conversationally, talking to himself more than to me.

“Danger?” I enquired, my voice a slight octave higher.

He looked up now, eyes meeting mine for the first time. My skin crawled at his dark, hidden depths. “Danger.” He confirmed solemnly, “you and I, we have a connection of sorts. The Boss wants me to use it to control you, to convince you to help him raise the Underlands.” He looked so defeated, so lost.

“Raise the Underlands? What will happen?”

He took a few steps forwards quickly and sat, hard, onto the floor in front of me. Arms crossed and leaning forwards until we were too close for comfort he spoke in a haunted voice, “Hell.” He whispered, eyes watching mine.

“Hell will come to earth. All that’s here in the Underlands will raise to earth and our kind will rule the humans. No longer will we have to live in darkness, we will own the sun.” He told it like a mantra, the words etched into his memory. A legend, I supposed, a legend they all knew but never thought could happen.

“Could I really do that? I have no magic – how can I help?” I asked quietly, watching him for any reaction, but he gave nothing away.

“Own the witch, own the power. You’ll get your soul back if you play nice with the Boss. Convince him you’re useful, prove your allegiance and he’ll make you whole again.” He said simply, with an ounce of sadness. I’m guessing Sora couldn’t agree to help Leith reign hell on earth – didn’t blame her.

Silently the creature stood and took a series of quick steps towards the door, “Think it over.” He instructed over his shoulder, not quite turning his head the whole way. “The only way you’ll live is to help the Boss. I don’t want to force you, not like he wants me to. He’ll make me if you’re not careful, he controls my heart so he controls me, but believe me when I say that if you fight him for too long, beware the consequences.”

“If I can live without my soul, what exactly does he have to hold over me?” I asked cockily as I watched him freeze, hand poised above the door.

“Your life. He’ll kill you.”

“But then I’m useless, you said he needs me and my soul together to use my power.” I argued.

“Leith may be a greedy man, but he’s a patient one. Plus there’s a lot he can do to you before you eventually succumb to death, Witch.” He turned to look at me this time, a promising glint to his eye.

“Annika.” I replied, making him blink in surprise, “my name is Annika.”

He nodded in acknowledgement, “Nick.” He replied, before grasping the door handle and twisting, opening the door to find the two henchmen leaning against the corridor wall.

Exchanging silent words with one another Nick turned and closed the door behind him, catching my eyes once more. As the door shut the minimal amount of sound that had filtered through the open door evaporated and I was once more alone in the relative darkness.

Darting forwards and yanking open the door I held my arm out, “Nick wait!” I called down the corridor, reaching out to him as though it would draw him back. He paused, turned, the other two looking puzzled to one another. I figured I may have just got him in trouble.

He hurried along the corridor until he was just in front of me, I drew back into the room slightly, “I just wanted to say thank you – for not trying to force me to help Leith. I know he’s got a hold over you. It means a lot that you’re putting yourself in danger to help me.” I said quietly, aware of the prying eyes behind him.

“It shouldn’t.” He said coldly before taking the door from me and shutting it, the lock clicking into place, sending a chill down my spine.

I took a few steps back, staring at the door, confused by his cold brush off. Maybe I reminded him of Sora? Or maybe he was just afraid – but of what, I didn’t know.

Sitting down on the ground I crossed my legs and leant my elbows on my knees. Placing my head in my hands I rubbed my forehead in small circles, trying to relieve the tension there. I’d been taught a trick by my mother for relieving headaches, all you do is focus a little bit of healing magic in the right place and it’ll relieve the pain. I did it now, focusing on my right temple, my middle fingertip resting on my skin lightly. Shutting my eyes I focused my power until I felt it trickle through my head and relieve the aching pain.
I sat up, rolling my neck from left to right, that felt so much better now.

I smiled to myself – I felt lighter now, more than I had all along. Pulling at a loose thread on my top, my brain suddenly kicked into action. My magic, I’d just used my magic.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys; it's Nikki. I told you I would accomplish getting this posted on Sunday! :)

Anyways, thank you for reading. I would really love some thoughts on this, so please leave comments, subscribe, message me about it if you want.